Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Imaginary Friend posted:

the icons and the map follow what seems to be a different scaling so they move differently when zooming in/out.

I had the same issue, but not when changing texture size. Only when changing screen resolution in the middle of a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

VectorSigma posted:

Anyone with the i5 issue try unparking your cores and see what happens.

https://coderbag.com/programming-c/disable-cpu-core-parking-utility

I had mine unparked since long before release, and I have never seen any stuttering or freezing on my 9600K.

I don't know what this is, but god drat if it didn't clear things up flawlessly for me. I still get the odd hang here and there and in Online that can mean getting disconnected, but poo poo at least now I can get the prologue out of the way.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

I had the same issue, but not when changing texture size. Only when changing screen resolution in the middle of a game.

Yeah I got this same issue after doing the same thing (changing resolution and continuing to play), so I guess that's what caused it.

Autistic Speculum
Apr 9, 2009
How am I supposed to duel someone? If someone is talking poo poo, they just do a fist fight. The only time it did happen, the dude was drunk and passed out. I wonder if I just need to progress in the story for a while. I'm in ch 2, and mostly gambling and completing challenges.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Sorbus posted:

I had that problem every time when I robbed a store when playing on PS4 (also at towns there was "misunderstandings" when I tried to holler at someone and drew instead..). Just hold mouse 2 and click (don't hold) mouse 1. It is really weird but I managed to rob a certain side business in Strawberry today without any problems.

That worked, thanks! No till will be safe from now on :clint:

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Is sleep actually important or is it just a mechanic to pass time? I've yet to go exploring beyond valentine yet because I get preoccupied with making sure I can get back to camp before it gets too late.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Frankston posted:

Is sleep actually important or is it just a mechanic to pass time? I've yet to go exploring beyond valentine yet because I get preoccupied with making sure I can get back to camp before it gets too late.

It refills your cores I think

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Whorelord posted:

It refills your cores I think

Ok but I won't like pass out and lose a bunch of items or something like that if I haven't slept for a while?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Frankston posted:

Ok but I won't like pass out and lose a bunch of items or something like that if I haven't slept for a while?

Nope. You can also camp in the wilderness by opening the weapons wheel and switching to items. Straight down is the campfire option where you can craft, cook, and sleep.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Frankston posted:

You're actually making a smart move to go back to camp and hang out. There's a lot of really cool interactions between the gang members and you can learn a lot about them.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Transmogrifier posted:

You're actually making a smart move to go back to camp and hang out. There's a lot of really cool interactions between the gang members and you can learn a lot about them.

While this is true, don't do what I did and feel like you have to check in with every single gang member after every single event just in case you miss something. Let it flow over you like a lovely babbling brook.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
How are the key rebinding options?

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

The camp interactions foreshadowedpretty much spoiled a later part of the story for me.

Storyline spoilers

I already was annoyed at Micah when I had to break him out of that town and pay a shitload of bounty money so I didn't get shot every time I went into that territory, but as soon as I saw him kick the dog I knew I was going to have to kill him later in the game.

Edit: Fixed, but I think spoiler still works better, as I'd consider foreshadowing to be a bit more subtle.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Nov 8, 2019

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

AFewBricksShy posted:

The camp interactions pretty much spoiled a later part of the story for me.

the word you are looking for is "foreshadowed"

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I was playing a bit of online yesterday and was in a ghost world for about 30 minutes. No NPCs anywhere and the only animals I saw were horses pulling empty carriages.

Apparently this has been a longtime issue; is it just something that crops up every now and then?

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

fuf posted:

While this is true, don't do what I did and feel like you have to check in with every single gang member after every single event just in case you miss something. Let it flow over you like a lovely babbling brook.

Also true. Enjoy the world but check in at camp to hear what's going on. Don't just go haul rear end through the story and think there's nothing worth sticking around camp for.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
A story cannot "spoil" itself, by definition.

If there's a battle in chapter 12 where Gandalf dies, and a dude in chapter 4 says "there's a battle coming and Gandalf is going to die when that happens," then that is simply a part of the story. It's not a spoiler.

A spoiler can only happen externally to the media itself. Even if the author breaks the 4th wall and says "I, JRR Tolkien, am interrupting the story right now to tell you that Gandalf dies in chapter 12, nerds" that is not technically a spoiler because it exists within the work, and can therefore never truly be trusted as 100% reliable, even if it's a 4th wall break, because it's always possible for the character to be wrong. This is fundamentally different from a person experiencing the media themselves who says "I have read ahead to chapter 12 and can confirm that Gandalf does indeed die at that point, nerds" because that person has the actual, measurable data on what happens later in the media.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Nov 8, 2019

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
I don't know what's more lol, the gamer who skipped eng lit in grade 10 or the one who didn't using tolkien to explain what that class was about

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Gandalf dies???

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Zigmidge posted:

I don't know what's more lol, the gamer who skipped eng lit in grade 10 or the one who didn't using tolkien to explain what that class was about

lol

I haven't played RDR2 so I went with a name I was pretty sure would definitely not be in the game just in case somebody thought I was revealing that "JimBob" or "Greg" dies late in the game or something.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
I finally decided I didn't want to put any more work into trying to make RDR2 run (or even launch) on my PC after trying every troubleshooting step I could find over the past 4 days. I gave up and sent a refund request. I've been playing video games since the Atari days, on console and PC, and this is the first time I've ever just had to give up on getting a game to run. You defeated me, Rockstar.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

I love it. I don't mean to shame what is the best discussion this thread has seen all week.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Lemon posted:

Gandalf dies???

Yes

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Foreshadowing tags please. Some of us haven't read that.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

No

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

GreatGreen posted:

A story cannot "spoil" itself, by definition.

If there's a battle in chapter 12 where Gandalf dies, and a dude in chapter 4 says "there's a battle coming and Gandalf is going to die when that happens," then that is simply a part of the story. It's not a spoiler.

A spoiler can only happen externally to the media itself. Even if the author breaks the 4th wall and says "I, JRR Tolkien, am interrupting the story right now to tell you that Gandalf dies in chapter 12, nerds" that is not technically a spoiler because it exists within the work, and can therefore never truly be trusted as 100% reliable, even if it's a 4th wall break, because it's always possible for the character to be wrong. This is fundamentally different from a person experiencing the media themselves who says "I have read ahead to chapter 12 and can confirm that Gandalf does indeed die at that point, nerds" because that person has the actual, measurable data on what happens later in the media.

I feel like you need to take a break from the internet for a while.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Yeah, gently caress that helpful post getting in the way of computer nerds posting specs and problems nobody gives a poo poo about.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Fly, you fools!

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Zigmidge posted:

Yeah, gently caress that helpful post getting in the way of computer nerds posting specs and problems nobody gives a poo poo about.
As if there haven't been helpful posts pertaining to the computer problems?

Sounds like you need a break too.

have you seen my baby
Nov 22, 2009

Joe Gillian posted:

Sounds like you need a break

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

have you seen my baby posted:

Sounds like you need a break

We all need a break!

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Jimbot posted:

Fly, you fools!

gandalf the white: i lived bitch!

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Joe Gillian posted:

Seeing as we're both thread policing a bad thread, you're right, I do! And there haven't, no.

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji
Definitely hang around camp for the atmosphere and gang interactions. Everything has been already said about sleeping, but I just wanted to add that there are a lot of things you can't see/do during the daytime and you should cowboy at night on occasion. Different side missions show up, animals, and... folk, to name a few.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Lemon posted:

I was playing a bit of online yesterday and was in a ghost world for about 30 minutes. No NPCs anywhere and the only animals I saw were horses pulling empty carriages.

Apparently this has been a longtime issue; is it just something that crops up every now and then?

Yeah. Well I’ve never seen empty carriages and human NPCs go missing, but the disappearing wild animals thing is still a fairly common bug on console online. It seems to be related to server traffic, as usually going into an instanced mission or hopping servers fixes it instantly, and it never seems to happen on less populated servers

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
I'm starting to wonder if different versions of the game somehow got distributed, with an assortment of different bugs per - I saw CapnBeeb's Process Lasso shot last night in IRC, tried the program myself. First was a known resource hog that functioned well, The Division 1 - the only real spikes weren't CPU, and happened when I fast-travelled.

Horses and Moreses? Once loaded, all the levels stayed, well, level - including a variety of fights and dumbshit actions (trying to jack the prisoner transport right outside the hideout, for example), going to Valentine and starting more poo poo there, et cetera.

System is stock, pretty much: i5-9600k no Hyper, EVGA 1080Ti whatever the gently caress gamer edition it is, Win10 (not patched to current, I think it's 3 weeks delayed now), dual 1920x1080 monitors (using just one for the game), almost entirely default video settings - game was freezing for a second or more in spots on first run, got worse until CTD, but freezes seem to have gone away almost entirely since updating the video drivers. Not running any overlays, except whatever stupid Windows one wants for the Xbox Game bar. Not running ULTRAREAL SUPREME video settings, or HOLY gently caress overclocks or anything.

:iiam:, just like that dismembered dude with the map stuffed in his mouth.

As for the game itself, I actually had to search a wiki to find out how to get the leatherworking tools. Which isn't happening for a while yet, because I'm having too much fun loving around. Beating Mexican tourists at sharpshooting, shooting marauding wolves in the face with my pump-action, shooting rats with my .45, working on the mounted bunnyshoot challenge... need a wagon for all the dead critters and looted weapons, actually.

Stupid outlaws - I'm the only one chopping wood and bringing in meat, stop bitching about me being covered in blood already.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
So as an i5 user I think I may have just solved my stuttering issue, knock on wood. Here's the major steps I took.

-Use DX12 instead of Vulkan. Vulkan was fine until I got to Valentine, then it started to crash constantly. DX12 fixed this right up.

-DX12 didn't seem to help my framerate... UNTIL I enabled Triple Buffering, then it became smooth (except for the stuttering issue)

-I'm using a program similar to Process Lasso called BEM. Here are the specific instructions about what to do with this:
https://www.reddit.com/r/PCRedDead/comments/dta9du/4c4t_bes_may_have_fixed_textures_and_hanging/

I've never used Process Lasso but it sounds like some of you were having issues with it.

-Lock your framerate to 30fps which I was doing anyway because I can't achieve 60fps. In nVidia control panel, Select "Manage 3D Settings"->"Program Settings" find "Red Dead Redemption 2 (rdr2.exe)" and set "Vertical Sync" to "Adaptive (half refresh rate)" In RDR2 graphics settings turn on V-Sync. This may not be necessary depending on how powerful your rig is, but I felt it necessary to include it in case there is a chance that its a mandatory part of this method. I suspect that by limiting your framerate via a third party program the game still thinks it has breathing room instead of just locking up at 100%, but that is just pure speculation on my part.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Lol this game is real goofy sometimes. Came across some people being attacked by outlaws so I ran in to help them out, only I accidentally knocked over one of the people I was trying to help so they all just started shooting at me. Now everyone is dead. :shrug:

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i've failed so many missions because i accidentally rode my horse into a companion while trying to pull up at a hitching post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

i've failed so many missions because i accidentally rode my horse into a companion while trying to pull up at a hitching post

My horse needs new brakes, because I'm always running into the hitching post and getting launched. Sheriff and deputy inside the jail hear a big THUMP. "Guess Arthur is back with the bounty."

I need to try hotkeying stuff, like the binoculars. And to figure out how to access some inventories easier/in different situations. I don't see any reason why I can't let Roach drive himself while I gorge on Minty Venison.

Question: I keep getting alerts that I can't loot all the animal parts off my victim prey, but it won't say *what* is being lost. I suspect it's because I already have 5 Fat or Mature Venison or whatever; is there a way to carry multiple stacks of the same item?