Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Yeah, prior to rotation Mono Red Aggro would side a mountain, some Rekindling Phoenixes or Legion Warbosses to transition into a more midrangey deck that plays bigger threats etc.

Also U/B decks got to side in Ashiok against Field of the Dead decks heck ya

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

There's also the psychological minigame of whether to play a bomb when you think you could win regardless or keep that card hidden to surprise them on the next round.

Bo1 is all ham all the time.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

srulz posted:

It all depends on the deck. Some decks have a very linear gameplan, so you don't change much other than removing dead cards & adding in hate cards. However, for certain decks, there is actually a lot of strategy involved:

1. You play an almost creature-less control deck. Your opponent may see this G1 & sided out all their dead removals. Then G2 you side in stuff like Thief of Sanity & boom, they run away with the game. Then G3 your opp need to actually take this into account, and you can actually side out those creatures to make the opponent's removals dead again. Or don't.

2. You play a Fires-based deck. Your opp sided in all their enchantment removals, and you actually sided out all your Fires & become a Walkers deck instead.

3. You play an aggro deck. G2 you side in all your walkers & bigger creatures, and now all your opp's Shocks & Disfigures are pretty much dead.

Sometimes you can also play around the fact that you've "shown" your opp a certain card - Prison Realm for example, just to influence his sideboarding. Or you don't show certain cards when you are winning G1 anyway - Teferi, Time Raveler, for example, so when they side in their counters/veils, all of those will be dead. Or you don't play a certain color when you are mana screwed G1.

Also if you're the person who really hates "going 2nd all the time", in BO3 you are guaranteed at least 1 time to go first.

Wow. Thank you for this!

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
Just getting to play at least one game going first is great, not drawing a handful of dead cards is even better. Also getting a chance at payback when you get an opponent that gets smug about winning when you get screwed/flooded. The whole experience is a lot "rocks beats scissors and rock is real smug about it" after the sideboards come in.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Got myself up to gold 1 with WAR drafts. Can't wait to fall back down to gold 4 because of secretkeepers.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

theres almost no gain to opening any eldraine packs anymore for me :(

i feel like the 50 packerino was mega mega overkill for this set

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Save the gold and wildcards for the next set! And don't craft anything that relies on a card that will get banned.

Golos you useless 4 of.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
What the gently caress, I tried doing that Omnipotence draft and right out of the gate someone has a turn 1 infinite combo. Scholar of the Ages, Unsummon and Anticipate. Just keep bouncing and replaying the scholar for infinite card draw.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Zero VGS posted:

What the gently caress, I tried doing that Omnipotence draft and right out of the gate someone has a turn 1 infinite combo. Scholar of the Ages, Unsummon and Anticipate. Just keep bouncing and replaying the scholar for infinite card draw.

Yeah but that could be you.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Argas posted:

Yeah but that could be you.

No one told me it could have been me!

edit: thanks for the hint about Spectral Sailor though I only got one in draft but I win every time I draw it with the 2 cards per round

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Nov 8, 2019

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Everyone else got big impressive rares to cast, while I got Bag of Holding, a Leyline of Anticipation, and a Mu Yanling. Neat cards, but not exactly a match for turn one legendaries or cavaliers or whatever. :sigh:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Attestant posted:

Everyone else got big impressive rares to cast, while I got Bag of Holding, a Leyline of Anticipation, and a Mu Yanling. Neat cards, but not exactly a match for turn one legendaries or cavaliers or whatever. :sigh:

A bunch of people I fought had a Vilis, Broker of Blood and that seems to be a guaranteed win when they hit the table.

Along with drafting Spectral Sailor, I advise to draft every cantrip you see (Befuddle, Angelic Gift, Bone to Ash) those are always useful since you run no lands and they're free. Bone to Ash is always a two-for-one. Soul Scavenge is usually a two-for-one as well.

edit: There's some fuckin' mad lads who draft Dragon Mage and hitting me with him has lost them the game as much as he's won it.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Nov 8, 2019

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I'd temper the cantrip advice by saying that you shouldn't be drafting them over good cards just because they cantrip - remember, you have to play almost every card you draft, so even though you're not drawing lands, you are going to be drawing crappy do-nothing creatures off your cantrips more often than you would like.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Zero VGS posted:

edit: There's some fuckin' mad lads who draft Dragon Mage and hitting me with him has lost them the game as much as he's won it.

Incidentally I got a few wins off of my two Dragon Mage paired with the Leyline and a bunch of removal. I could set up some disgusting turns by hitting them with the dragon, and intentionally not playing most of my stuff. Then just time all my stuff at the end of their turn, removing key blockers and dumping my board so they couldn't react with anything sorcery speed.

But that tended to lose hard against the really good stuff, counters, etc.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Carillon posted:

Thanks for your help! I dunno how many good black knights I have, looks like only 1 each of those that you mentioned, but can definitely switch when it's more robust if it ends up being better!

I updated with your ideas, in fact, wasn't sure if having two Syr Alin's was a good idea, and while think more direct damage would be great, wasn't sure what I would cut for it, so any ideas would be great. Also I have Gideon Blackblade, is he or any other planeswalker a boon to this sort of deck? I last stopped played before they were introduced, so while I can see they're powerful, I'm not certain if they're autoinclude generally or more of build arounds. Really do appreciate your ideas though, I got up to silver (and by winning a few in a row not just due to grinding) thanks to the first round of modifications so definitely has been helpful!

Hey, this looks good, glad this is working for you! I think the structure of the deck is fine so far.

Two Syr Alin's is fine. Generally speaking, if a card is something you want to see early or is important to your strategy, you want a full four copies. Something that's nice to have gets two copies, and Alin is just nice to have.

Gideon would be generally beneficial for your creatures, but doesn't have any specific synergy. I don't think including him would hurt - I'd probably drop the Skyblazer since that's designed for a multiplayer format and is less useful in a regular game. For R/W Knights, I don't think there's any planeswalkers I'd say are a must-have.

I'd play with the ratio of Ardenvale Paladins to Ardenvale Tacticians and Acclaimed Contenders. I don't think the Paladin is bad but its stats are weird for me, and I get more use from the Contender tutoring and the Tactician's Adventure + flying. Find out what works for you!

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Spiderdrake posted:

You still have 75 days or something to go on the pass. TBD is a long, long way off.

gross.

gross gross gross gross.

m20 was so much fun instead we get this for months.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Just had a decent run with 6 copies of the squadron hawk dude. Handily beat up on a bunch of generic "play big dudes" decks, got stomped by two busted-rear end Scholar combo decks that went off on me turn 1, and had one unlucky loss with a mull to two on the draw and my opponent having Mind Rot.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Ahahahahaha omniscience is so dumb and I love it so much.

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
Omnidraft m20 might be my favorite format ever. You just have to accept that you're often playing rocket tag. Sometime you get to play broken bullshit, and sometime the bullshit plays you.

The main thing to realize about omnidraft is that literally anything that draws a card is a great pick, but the bots are still off normal pick order. So cards that are terrible but cantrip like befuddle and and that flying aura are amazing late picks because the bots think they're in a regular format. A lot of your later pick are about taking what is least bad for your deck.

Also, going t1 dragon mage, act of treason your own dragon mage, mind rot, mind rot, rule of law loving rules.

Network42 fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Nov 8, 2019

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, there are some DUMB things you can do. I really want to see if it's possible to get a T1 kill via Scampering Scorcher, some draw, and some big elementals.

I suspect it is but you'd have to be insanely lucky to both draft and draw it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

kater posted:

gross.

gross gross gross gross.

m20 was so much fun instead we get this for months.

The format will be actually fun in 2 weeks where Oko is finally dead and we can actually see the real standard format.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Still a crapload of green probably.
Not that I object.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
Simic has a lot of cool cards to try but if you play them now without running Oko you are an idiot..or at least I will think you are if I play you on ladder.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Has anyone seen the MCVI decklists anywhere

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

zoux posted:

they don't want anyone to know how bad it is

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The way the Euro and JP tourneys went It’ll be a miracle if we see less than 5 Oko lists in the top 8.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/HellKatMTG/status/1192828348218716162

Yo can we get custom pet sleeves for Arena

So when you draft in paper, how long does it take to sleeve everything up

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Like 2 minutes maybe unless you’re differently abled.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/HellKatMTG/status/1192828348218716162

Yo can we get custom pet sleeves for Arena

So when you draft in paper, how long does it take to sleeve everything up

Here's a question that's technically none of my business but I've been curious anyway. Are Kibler and Natalie still together? She used to be a huge part of his presence but has totally disappeared in the past year, which was also about the time I stopped watching his stream (where I would hear him talk about her, or she would pop up). I think I actually noticed it when he moved to a new house in LA and she didn't seem to pop up in any of the social-media stuff he did about it.

I certainly wouldn't blame her for wanting to back away from such a public-facing life, and ... I dunno, I grew up watching him play and watched a LOT of them stream together and I have been wondering.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

zoux posted:

Misread this as MvC decklists and got excited for a crossover that'll never happen.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Hahahahaha they are fully leaning in to the Oko thing huh

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Wait, M20 omni draft is back? Hell yeah that format is :krad:

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

oko momir sounds even more excruciating than normal momir

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Huxley posted:

Here's a question that's technically none of my business but I've been curious anyway. Are Kibler and Natalie still together? She used to be a huge part of his presence but has totally disappeared in the past year, which was also about the time I stopped watching his stream (where I would hear him talk about her, or she would pop up). I think I actually noticed it when he moved to a new house in LA and she didn't seem to pop up in any of the social-media stuff he did about it.

I certainly wouldn't blame her for wanting to back away from such a public-facing life, and ... I dunno, I grew up watching him play and watched a LOT of them stream together and I have been wondering.

i saw them a bit ago and if i were to guess she's likely just burned out a bit from dealing with the internet

my proof
:cool:

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Will Core 2021's focus PWalker be Oko

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Zyla posted:

i saw them a bit ago and if i were to guess she's likely just burned out a bit from dealing with the internet

my proof
:cool:

:)

Argas posted:

Will Core 2021's focus PWalker be Oko

It's Teferi.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

quick, reprint big teferi while everyone is busy thinking oko is the worst thing ever

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Huxley posted:

:)

It's Teferi.

Meant M22. Counted up from M20 and still somehow screwed up.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Attestant posted:

I got a Field of the Dead in my first pack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.