Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Oooooh, that's cool. I also need to play around with something the tooltip mentions - you can shoot rapidly after a well timed beat shot without penalty. Even when I shoot rapidly I try to do it on-beat which gets me killed sometimes for sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Pistol Whip got a lot more fun once I realized I didn't have to physically hold both controllers. What a cool game.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

AndrewP posted:

Pistol Whip got a lot more fun once I realized I didn't have to physically hold both controllers. What a cool game.

D'you just leave one lying around or something?

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Gort posted:

Thats what I was doing and I used my offhand like I was actually holding a pistol.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Gort posted:

yup

mashed_penguin posted:

Thats what I was doing and I used my offhand like I was actually holding a pistol.

yup

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Gort posted:

Yes, I only turn one on. Single gun feels better in pistol whip than dual, and its designed so that you don't need the other hand to reload or anything, so you don't need it.

Using two hands to steady a single controller feels more like shooting a real pistol and makes you more accurate.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
https://twitter.com/BrandonJLa/status/1192864724012023808?s=09

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
wow, extremely strong Half Life vibes

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM
PSA headshots don’t matter for score on pw.

Just aim center mass

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I'm bothered by the lack of any dynamic shadows. Not even blob shadows.

Looking back at the old trailer there is a lot of very obvious dynamic shadows, although, in some places they look rather poo poo and in other places they don't exist.
https://youtu.be/352Hmh0b3Ps

I wonder if it's a performance thing, an error, or a purposeful decision. Since this game does involve multiple levels of reality I guess it could make sense for them to do something like the experience is more degraded if you go into VR within VR.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
beat a couple hard mode levels on pistol whip :cool:

not my best runs but I feel badass as all hell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJQobf_uvls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLL8p8Em11s

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I need the DMCV soundtrack in pistol whip asap

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Zaphod42 posted:

scruffy seconds

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Zaphod42 posted:

Mute game music.
Play Soundtrack
Shoot dudes to soundtrack
Profit?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

EbolaIvory posted:

Mute game music.
Play Soundtrack
Profit?

It's really not at all going to be the same, the levels are pretty intricately crafted to specifically fit the music.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
How much content is there in the Vader Immortal episodes? I keep reading user reviews that say like "only 30-40 minutes of content" or something along those lines.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Dongattack posted:

How much content is there in the Vader Immortal episodes? I keep reading user reviews that say like "only 30-40 minutes of content" or something along those lines.

Depends on what you wanna do. If you just run through the SP yeah that's about how long it takes, but then there's also the lightsaber dojo which has a bunch of stages and might take you a while to beat. Episode 1 is actually better in this respect (longevity), it takes a while to get good enough to beat all the levels. Episode 2 gives you force powers that are OP as gently caress and it's WAY easier to just blast through all the stages.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

Custom levels wouldn't necessary have to be as good as the normal ones to be worth having. Even if the level was simpler, being able to play custom songs would still be a fun diversion.

I mean, never say never, considering people just found a way to hack custom levels into Dark Souls.

But without developer support, it is gonna be hard. Its significantly more to it than beat saber levels, having both enemies spawning, moving around, and level geometry.

Yeah I agree, it will take developer support to work well. If they make the procedural part more robust then it could be amazing!

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Dongattack posted:

There's two parts to Vader Immortal "content".
First piece is the story. Ep1 is about 60-90 min of content, its good. Ep2 is about 30-40 min, is short but good.
The second piece is the dojo, which is 40 levels of specific enemy combos with increasing challenge levels, this is also really fun.
They are both totally worth $10, works great on Index through revive and I will buy the 3rd one without hesitation.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

The Walrus posted:

It's really not at all going to be the same, the levels are pretty intricately crafted to specifically fit the music.

No like. I'm telling people to do it.
DEVS first thing to me when we were talking stuff before launch was "Hey, just mute the game, slam in some music, itll work, it wont be perfect but you'll be shocked how much lines up".

They are right. If the music you listen to isn't on some weird timing. Folks, Everythings to 1/8th noes.

Again it aint perfect. But its something for now if you're REALLY bored of the OST already.

Tho, I've done 30+ runs of death and still pop that song on google music regularly. >_>

Zaphod42 posted:

If you BPM match it first like a DJ maybe

How about you try it a bit first instead of just yammering?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

EbolaIvory posted:

Mute game music.
Play Soundtrack
Profit?

If you BPM match it first like a DJ maybe

EbolaIvory posted:

They are right. If the music you listen to isn't on some weird timing. Folks, Everythings to 1/8th noes.

Sure, and key doesn't matter, but tempo does.

If one song is 280bpm and the other is 220 its not gonna work.

280 and 140 or any fraction would work okay. Or you could just beat match it.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Nov 8, 2019

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Are you guys playing with Aim Assist on? because... I certainly am.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

AndrewP posted:

Are you guys playing with Aim Assist on? because... I certainly am.

Most people are initially. Deadeye is hardcore AF.

I'm a big baby and will probably roll aim assist for a while. Deadeye is 100% too much for my rear end while learning all the spawns and stuff.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

EbolaIvory posted:

No like. I'm telling people to do it.
DEVS first thing to me when we were talking stuff before launch was "Hey, just mute the game, slam in some music, itll work, it wont be perfect but you'll be shocked how much lines up".

Again it aint perfect. But its something for now if you're REALLY bored of the OST already.

Tho, I've done 30+ runs of death and still pop that song on google music regularly. >_>

It's the equivalent of watching wizard of oz listening to dark side of the moon, you've got to trick yourself into thinking it works. The pacing of the levels are specifically suited to the songs, the songs don't keep the same intensity the whole way through and neither do the levels. Not to mention the visual pulses of the level that are also timed up to the song. And for me anyway, most of the fun is finding the most efficient way to shoot dudes on-beat as soon as they appear, and those appearances are, again, specifically matched to the song that's playing.

edit: the game even syncs up the 'whirr' of the bullets going past your head to the song. this is stuff that just won't work just playing a random song along with it

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Nov 8, 2019

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

The Walrus posted:

It's the equivalent of watching wizard of oz listening to dark side of the moon, you've got to trick yourself into thinking it works. The pacing of the levels are specifically suited to the songs, the songs don't keep the same intensity the whole way through and neither do the levels. Not to mention the visual pulses of the level that are also timed up to the song. And for me anyway, most of the fun is finding the most efficient way to shoot dudes on-beat as soon as they appear, and those appearances are, again, specifically matched to the song that's playing.

Oh I'm not saying its perfect. Not even slightly. But the fact is, its something to do, it works, and the games not even 2 days old and people are whining about content. Its free easy content if you're really that bored suddenly and its FUN.

Honestly drives me nuts that people are whining so hard about customs already. Get the gently caress over it folks, the games a day old.

Tip posted:

Being 1/8 notes is only like half the equation, it's more about matching BPMs. Which, actually, that would be a really simple thing they could implement. Let you play any level with a custom song, but you enter the BPM of the song (or have auto analysis to guess the BPM) and then just adjust the timing of events to the BPM.

Aye, If you pick some double bass drum death metal its probably gonna be weird. Lets be real.
IF you're not being a doofus with music selection though, Should still be a drat good time.

Again this is about having more fun with the current game. Stop trying to argue away solutions.

ITS ALSO A BRAND NEW GAME UNNGNGGGGG

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

EbolaIvory posted:

Being 1/8 notes is only like half the equation, it's more about matching BPMs. Which, actually, that would be a really simple thing they could implement. Let you play any level with a custom song, but you enter the BPM of the song (or have auto analysis to guess the BPM) and then just adjust the timing of events to the BPM.

Also, just to be clear, not saying that it's not fun how you're doing it, you just gave me an idea of a way they could really nail it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

EbolaIvory posted:

Oh I'm not saying its perfect. Not even slightly. But the fact is, its something to do, it works, and the games not even 2 days old and people are whining about content. Its free easy content if you're really that bored suddenly and its FUN.

Honestly drives me nuts that people are whining so hard about customs already. Get the gently caress over it folks, the games a day old.

"I like this game and would like more of it or <other music style> in it" is not an inherent complaint about the existing content.

Relax yo. People wanting customs means they like the game.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Do I have to shoot on the specific notes of the song or can I just be in time?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

AndrewP posted:

Do I have to shoot on the specific notes of the song or can I just be in time?

Just be in time.

Aim center mass. Accuracy is only measured by hitting the target, not where you shoot it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Yeah lots of people seem to be waiting for music notes to shoot, and that makes sense, but nah as long as you're on-beat you're free to shoot and get max points.

I wonder if it'd be nice to have the gun make more musical sounds, like in Rez?

Its like you're adding your own track to the song, not matching an existing one. The badguys though do match the song notes.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah lots of people seem to be waiting for music notes to shoot, and that makes sense, but nah as long as you're on-beat you're free to shoot and get max points.

I wonder if it'd be nice to have the gun make more musical sounds, like in Rez?

Its like you're adding your own track to the song, not matching an existing one. The badguys though do match the song notes.

Theres gun sound effects, someones already modded a skin into the game. So Give it a week or two before custom sounds are in?

Honestly, The only thing NOT in the menu right now that would have to be UI edited to add is custom scenes. Gun customization, modifiers, all thats already in.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

EbolaIvory posted:

Theres gun sound effects, someones already modded a skin into the game. So Give it a week or two before custom sounds are in?

Honestly, The only thing NOT in the menu right now that would have to be UI edited to add is custom scenes. Gun customization, modifiers, all thats already in.

Again, saying it'd be cool to add a thing is not a criticism that the thing is not already added. You seem a bit weirdly possessive of this game. This is a thread for discussion. There's no rush implied by my post, no urgency, its just a thought. I even said "maybe" because its entirely possible it wouldn't actually improve things.

Rest assured I'm real into it :v:

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Zaphod42 posted:

Again, saying it'd be cool to add a thing is not a criticism that the thing is not already added. You seem a bit weirdly possessive of this game. This is a thread for discussion. There's no rush implied by my post, no urgency, its just a thought. I even said "maybe" because its entirely possible it wouldn't actually improve things.

Rest assured I'm real into it :v:

No I was saying its already in game, give it a week and someone will probably have more modded in.

Was my post not clear there?

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

From a year-2000 pitch for a never-produced cartoon, they didn't go so far off the mark if you look at Rec Room etc :) Someone should build up a replica of the .netRave room there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b68qogB30jw

edit: Think there's any chance of the Pistol Whip devs putting a demo with a single song out not the game is live? It sounds fun but I'd love to try it first and refunding always seems like a bit of a kick in the nuts to the developers.

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Nov 9, 2019

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

NoneMoreNegative posted:

From a year-2000 pitch for a never-produced cartoon, they didn't go so far off the mark if you look at Rec Room etc :) Someone should build up a replica of the .netRave room there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b68qogB30jw

edit: Think there's any chance of the Pistol Whip devs putting a demo with a single song out not the game is live? It sounds fun but I'd love to try it first and refunding always seems like a bit of a kick in the nuts to the developers.

Probably at some point. But id gather the devs would rather you refund it and give it a fair shot, than ignore it.

I doubt you'll refund it. But its possible. I can see not actually enjoying it if you're not into the shooty bits.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
The big play-difference between Beat Saber's "beat mechanic" and Pistol Whip's is that the blocks in BS arrive to you in time to the beat, so even people who don't have a sense of rhythm can play and do well, since the window of time they give you to slice the block is so small and always on beat. In PW, having a good internal sense of rhythm is crucial to doing well, since it lets you shoot anybody whenever you want. If you normally can't keep a steady beat in your head/on your knee, you're probably going to be frustrated by the game.

After playing a few songs, I like Pistol Whip well enough but I don't love it. It's often hard for me to see the bullets coming at me, even though they're super slow, due to the art style. The style makes everything kind of blend together into a jaggy neon mess. They provide these red line indicators that I sense are trying to tell me something about enemy bullet trajectories, but I can't make sense of it while playing (their tutorial is trash). Secondly, the level design is verrry samey, and that's once again due to the style. Neon colored corridors mesh together and make every level feel like the same thing over and over. Lastly, yeah, it's super short. Not just because they only give you 10 songs, which they do, but most of them are less than 3 minutes long. For $24.99, that's nuts. I get that that complaint could be lobbed at BS too (and I sure as hell think BS's price is an insult), but you have a lot of level customizability there that I don't see happening with PW.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Origami Dali posted:

The big play-difference between Beat Saber's "beat mechanic" and Pistol Whip's is that the blocks in BS arrive to you in time to the beat, so even people who don't have a sense of rhythm can play and do well, since the window of time they give you to slice the block is so small and always on beat. In PW, having a good internal sense of rhythm is crucial to doing well, since it lets you shoot anybody whenever you want. If you normally can't keep a steady beat in your head/on your knee, you're probably going to be frustrated by the game.

...with the caveat that this only applies if you're a goon and obsess about scores.

It is entirely possible to play Pistol Whip and just shoot everybody and try to survive to the end.

Games like this are a "choose your challenge". One guy could be playing where he's trying to get an A rank on medium using timing, another guy could be playing on Hard getting C rank but surviving. Neither one is "playing wrong" and its super toxic to have to constantly feel like you have to compete with games.

Difficulty options exist for a reason!!

For example, I use No Fail in Beat Saber most of the time, even if I don't need it. I'm just there to have fun, not try to tryhard high scores. Half the time I turn off direction arrows even. Sometimes it makes the song too simple, but sometimes I'd rather play on Expert difficulty with no arrows than play on Hard with arrows, or whatever.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I keep getting B on Hard in Pistol Whip and it's killing me. At least tell me there's no S rank or whatever beyond A.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

The Walrus posted:

I keep getting B on Hard in Pistol Whip and it's killing me. At least tell me there's no S rank or whatever beyond A.

S Exists.

Proper_D (Guy probably sitting #1 again on everything unless logans back) is scoring S on Deadeye atm.

Zaphod42 posted:

stuff agreed snip

Honestly, I think most people who do the 'i played 3 songs and feel like I need to review it" stuff still don't actually know the music they are trying to shoot a beat to. I've said it I think in this very thread. I was SUPER guilty of that. I had a ton of fun otherwise, But until I started listening to the music more it was just a chaos of shooting and ducking.

Like take a look at the negative steam reviews. .2 hours .3 hours. People keep booting this up expecting it to be Beat Saber with guns and its not. The devs from day 1 have instructed anyone doing the pre release stuff to call it a SHOOTER first.

Its a gallery shooter set to a soundtrack you can interact with. Nothing more, Nothing less.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Nov 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

EbolaIvory posted:

S Exists.

Proper_D (Guy probably sitting #1 again on everything unless logans back) is scoring S on Deadeye atm.

Deadeye gives you a percentage points bonus doesn't it? Maybe I need to switch to Deadeye.