Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

That timing man

Ugh the wait till next week is gonna be.... torture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

:five:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Pinwiz11 posted:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

We've (seemingly) at least conclusively proven that you can't just trick shmucks into thinking they're in the Good Place to make them be good, you need the incentive to change and introspect with the threat of the Bad Place.

e: not the Bad Place specifically, mind, because the front half of Season 3 was about the attempt to be good on Earth without knowing about the Bad Place.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Regy Rusty posted:

That timing man

Ugh the wait till next week is gonna be.... torture

:same:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Goddammit, how many episodes left? This show’s gonna keep exploding the entire plot all the way to the end and I can’t take it.

Also I hope the humans win and all, go Team Human, but... Brent deserves the Bad Place. gently caress him.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
*reent-rurnt*

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

CapnAndy posted:

Goddammit, how many episodes left? This show’s gonna keep exploding the entire plot all the way to the end and I can’t take it.

Also I hope the humans win and all, go Team Human, but... Brent deserves the Bad Place. gently caress him.

We're at ep 7 so right around halfway.

Does Brent really deserve eternal torture though? (hint: no, because no one does)

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Of course that presupposes that eternal existence would not in itself be a form of torture

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

howe_sam posted:

Man, I agree with Jason about prevent defenses.

We're going back to Fire Joe Morgan!

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

JFC, this show is a mass so large and dense that it explodes outward forming a universe only to collapse back in on itself billions of Bearimys later only to explode and repeat again every few episodes.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The moment Simone pronounced it 'day-tah' instead of 'dah-tah' any suspension of belief that she could be remotely Australian fell apart.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
What a brutal cliffhanger!

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

ApplesandOranges posted:

The moment Simone pronounced it 'day-tah' instead of 'dah-tah' any suspension of belief that she could be remotely Australian fell apart.

I’m Australian and I hear the former considerably more often than the later.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

The Lord Bude posted:

I’m Australian and I hear the former considerably more often than the later.

the only time i've ever heard say "day-tah" instead of "da-ta" up here in QLD was from someone who lived in SA. maybe some from VIC say it too

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
i think "dah-tah" is probably more likely to be broad australian and "day-tuh more likely to be standard australian but thats entirely just based off the fact that i've heard both and lets face it, most people use a mix

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Their contention is that structural forces have made it impossible to be good, so they should see improvement just from removing them from the system.

Like they're still not doing good things, but they aren't doing bad things and also contributing to child slavery in the third world while doing them. You look at the results in the end and go "hey they lost 1,000 points this year, but they were losing 10,000 points a year on Earth, so this is a big improvement."

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh man I never got to see Mindy v Brent.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Agronox posted:

Disappointed to not see dangling wind chimes

There is a joke early on in God Emperor of Dune about the God-worm emperor idly wondering what would happen if he attached a tiny dildo somewhere on himself and someone noticed and I can't help but think of that and wind chimes now

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
Man, this show does twists like no other. I love that the whole thing has been blown up by Episode 7 and I really have no idea what comes next.

There is no other comedy sitcom that compares.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Blowing it up in episode 7 is pretty slow. The experiment re-do in season 2 was blown up in, what, the second episode?

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
Of course the experiment was going to end with the double laugh. I never saw it coming, tho.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

Mr. Powers posted:

Blowing it up in episode 7 is pretty slow. The experiment re-do in season 2 was blown up in, what, the second episode?
Double length episode 1 was Michael setting everything up.
Episode 2 was Trevor's episode.
And the experiment re-do was blown up by the end of episode 3.

So, yeah, by those standards, seven episodes is glacial.

e: Misunderstood! You're spot on:
Double length episode 1 was the first re-do.
Episode 2 was the all the other re-dos and Michael comes clean at the end.

Some Strange Flea fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Nov 8, 2019

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
It was pretty low of Simone and John to leave while Brent was in the pit. It would be funny if he actually managed to improve as a person more than them.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Mr. Powers posted:

I mean, after the end-of-season-1 twist, they really could have only milked the premise of a re-do for maybe another few episodes before it got super redundant. Just watching them do essentially the same stuff but being in on the joke this time wouldn't really be sustainable, you'd just be waiting around for the humans to figure it out again and for the series to have some sort of forward momentum.

This new scenario could have been the premise for the entire season with them having ups and downs and exploring the expanded cast more, leaving the last 2 or 3 episodes of the series for wrap up. I feel like most sitcoms would have done it like that, so reaching that point halfway through the season I think is pretty notable.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Oasx posted:

It was pretty low of Simone and John to leave while Brent was in the pit. It would be funny if he actually managed to improve as a person more than them.

Yeah, this was pretty hosed up. Abandoning anyone to die in a pit, even if they are an rear end in a top hat, is a horrible thing to do. I would assume the majority of people would help someone in that circumstance.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Oasx posted:

I kept expecting a twist where they like crash through the wall in Brent's Escalade screaming "We figured out we're in the bad place. You have to come with us now"

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Oasx posted:

I feel that it does line up with Simone's flaw of "once she locks into an opinion, it's hard to get her to change it", so she's already written off Brent as being unsalvagable and belonging in the Bad Place.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I have no feel whatsoever on how they're going to wrap this up. Which is pretty cool.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
Am I the only one disappointed that we didn't get to see Janet devouring her babies at the stroke of midnight, as promised?

Maybe next week.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Robot Hobo posted:

Am I the only one disappointed that we didn't get to see Janet devouring her babies at the stroke of midnight, as promised?

Maybe next week.

She did ask us not to watch.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Robot Hobo posted:

Maybe next week.

Like Goya’s Saturn

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Peachfart posted:

Yeah, this was pretty hosed up. Abandoning anyone to die in a pit, even if they are an rear end in a top hat, is a horrible thing to do. I would assume the majority of people would help someone in that circumstance.

I dunno. I think I would have stayed and helped, but it's not like you're hiking and your friend falls off a cliff. They've been with this irremediable prick for a year and he is STILL being an irremediable prick as he's begging for help hanging in a pit and there's a giant clock in the sky counting down and you have reason to believe you're being screwed with in some weird experiment where you don't know what is going on. I think it's human nature to decide to bail. It's fight or flight. When that clock hits zero they probably didn't want to be near the hellmouth. Only Chidi had the moral fortitude to do it.

Remember, Eleanor initially bailed too.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

1glitch0 posted:

I dunno. I think I would have stayed and helped, but it's not like you're hiking and your friend falls off a cliff. They've been with this irremediable prick for a year and he is STILL being an irremediable prick as he's begging for help hanging in a pit and there's a giant clock in the sky counting down and you have reason to believe you're being screwed with in some weird experiment where you don't know what is going on. I think it's human nature to decide to bail. It's fight or flight. When that clock hits zero they probably didn't want to be near the hellmouth. Only Chidi had the moral fortitude to do it.

Remember, Eleanor initially bailed too.

I feel like it would have come off better if they were just too freaked out about the countdown and in a panic, or even referenced the fact that Tahani and Jason were on their way back with a rope and would be able to handle it better than they could with limited supplies.

There's a pretty big difference between "I don't know how to save this person and am in immediate fear for my own safety standing here" and "this person is just really too awful to be worth me trying to save them" and Simone's point seemed to be uncomfortably closer to the latter.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Also if I've been told I was in the Good Place and there's this huge racist rear end in a top hat that's shown me repeatedly how he's a huge racist rear end in a top hat who will never change, and then he gets sucked into a fiery pit? I might just assume that's the Good Place correcting itself and sending him to the Bad Place.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

That doesn't really work if your entire thesis is that this ISN'T the Good Place, and this person who admittedly sucks is also being manipulated by whatever shady forces and is in the same boat as you.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

Guy A. Person posted:

I feel like it would have come off better if they were just too freaked out about the countdown and in a panic, or even referenced the fact that Tahani and Jason were on their way back with a rope and would be able to handle it better than they could with limited supplies.

They had just found the board with only the four of them's pictures -- Tahani and Jason were threats to them at that point

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Guy A. Person posted:

There's a pretty big difference between "I don't know how to save this person and am in immediate fear for my own safety standing here" and "this person is just really too awful to be worth me trying to save them" and Simone's point seemed to be uncomfortably closer to the latter.

Simone does mention she really doesn't want to be there when the clock hits zero. And they seemed pretty panicked. It's not the altruistic choice, but...

Side note: Elenaor was even more of a smokeshow than usual in that black dress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think Eleanor's comment that the group split in half is the key here. Chidi made a hard decision to help Brent and Brent finally started to see he was a shitlord. Simone and John bailed. That's 50/50. To use a Jason analogy: Tie game. Overtime, baby.