Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Vaders Jester posted:

You suggested flying through typhoons, then suggested that the SRU would refuse to move venue if given the option. Neither of which make any sense at all.

I mean if there's a typhoon going on and you've got to get to a stadium on another island I don't think you'd want to do it by boat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Julio Cruz posted:

I mean if there's a typhoon going on and you've got to get to a stadium on another island I don't think you'd want to do it by boat

If only there was some way to know about the Typhoon before hand?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Aramoro posted:

If only there was some way to know about the Typhoon before hand?

yeah there's absolutely no way they were waiting as long as they could before making a decision like changing the venue of the match, none at all

because it might be the case that actually it's OK to have the match in the original stadium after all (spoiler: this is what actually happened)

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:

Julio Cruz posted:

You mean the typhoon they knew about a week before it made land fall? That one?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Julio Cruz posted:

yeah there's absolutely no way they were waiting as long as they could before making a decision like changing the venue of the match, none at all

because it might be the case that actually it's OK to have the match in the original stadium after all (spoiler: this is what actually happened)

Jesus christ you're one dense motherfucker aren't you?

A good contingency plan has the best chance of letting the matches go ahead. It would have been a better choice to call it early move the match to somewhere that was 100% going to happen and not put it down to a 50/50 shot on Sunday morning that they could do it. Even if it was just flooding they had to contend with by the time they called it good it would have been very hard to move the match even 14 miles.

That's not counting the fact that with their contingency planning they did cancel 3 matches. So was the contingency plan good enough? Clearly not.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
yeah I'm 100% sure that the SRU would have accepted "sorry you're going to have to fly to a different stadium 1000 miles away to have your match, tough poo poo about not having any fans there" without any complaint and definitely wouldn't have in any way threatened World Rugby with legal action, because come on who would do that, I mean really

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Julio Cruz posted:

yeah I'm 100% sure that the SRU would have accepted "sorry you're going to have to fly to a different stadium 1000 miles away to have your match, tough poo poo about not having any fans there" without any complaint and definitely wouldn't have in any way threatened World Rugby with legal action, because come on who would do that, I mean really

They literally said they were happy to move to any other stadium to ensure the match was played. They even offered to play the game behind closed doors if need be.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Julio Cruz posted:

So now if the contingency planning was good enough in your head canon the SRU would have thrown a fit about that. Whats that I see over there? The goalposts?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Vaders Jester posted:

They literally said they were happy to move to any other stadium to ensure the match was played. They even offered to play the game behind closed doors if need be.

which is all well and good but Italy didn't get that option so I'm really not sure why the SRU thought they deserved to get it

threatening to sue when World Rugby doesn't break its own tournament rules solely to benefit you doesn't seem like a very good idea really

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Julio Cruz posted:

which is all well and good but Italy didn't get that option so I'm really not sure why the SRU thought they deserved to get it

threatening to sue when World Rugby doesn't break its own tournament rules solely to benefit you doesn't seem like a very good idea really

The fact Italy didn't get the option seems to poo poo all over the idea that the "robust contingencies" that were supposedly in place were fit for purpose then, doesn't it.

At least try to keep the goalposts in the the place for once post at least.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Vaders Jester posted:

The fact Italy didn't get the option seems to poo poo all over the idea that the "robust contingencies" that were supposedly in place were fit for purpose then, doesn't it.

yeah they should have known there was going to be a once-in-a-century storm before they drew up the rules that said "no rescheduling of pool games"

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
Defending SRU throwing a petulant tantrum about the contingencies in a tournament agreement they willingly signed which all turned out to be hypothetical anyway is a weird hill to die on.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Smorgasbord posted:

Defending SRU throwing a petulant tantrum about the contingencies in a tournament agreement they willingly signed which all turned out to be hypothetical anyway is a weird hill to die on.

So is defending contingency planning that resulted in 3 matches being cancelled, but here we are.

It's entirely possible for the SRU to be dumb fucks and for the contingency plans to be laughably poo poo at the same time.

When the Guardian broke the news that the plan was to move matches 14 miles, pretty much every news site savaged WR for being shite.

Vaders Jester fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Nov 8, 2019

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Julio Cruz posted:

yeah they should have known there was going to be a once-in-a-century storm before they drew up the rules that said "no rescheduling of pool games"

And we're back to typhoon season being a thing in Japan so it hardly snuck up on them.

And the rules covered no rescheduling to a different day, not venue. Try not to cherry-pick.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Vaders Jester posted:

So is defending contingency planning that resulted in 3 matches being cancelled, but here we are.

what has that got to do with the SRU though? you know the group who threatened legal action when World Rugby wouldn't break their own tournament rules for them

and you accuse me of moving goalposts

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Vaders Jester posted:

And we're back to typhoon season being a thing in Japan so it hardly snuck up on them.

And the rules covered no rescheduling to a different day, not venue. Try not to cherry-pick.

and we're also back to Hagibis being just a little bit bigger than the usual typhoon

turns out that contingency planning for the biggest typhoon in half a century is actually quite difficult

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Julio Cruz posted:

and we're also back to Hagibis being just a little bit bigger than the usual typhoon

turns out that contingency planning for the biggest typhoon in half a century is actually quite difficult

A typhoon is by definition 100s of km wide. It didn't have to be the biggest in 50 years for it to cover more than 14 miles. I've explained this to you already, try to
keep up.

Julio Cruz posted:

what has that got to do with the SRU though? you know the group who threatened legal action when World Rugby wouldn't break their own tournament rules for them

and you accuse me of moving goalposts

Because the SRU criticised the "robust contingency plans" they and every other team were assured were in place to make sure matches could be played when they signed up to those rules.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Vaders Jester posted:

A typhoon is by definition 100s of km wide. It didn't have to be the biggest in 50 years for it to cover more than 14 miles. I've explained this to you already, try to
keep up.

It’s not about how wide the storm is, it’s about damage and impact to infrastructure, and THAT can indeed be extremely localized in such a way as moving “only” 14 miles seems reasonable. As well, I’m pretty sure that was their last-ditch “we aren’t moving to a whole other region” plan.

With typhoons you can get a forecast some time ahead, yes, but it only gains some accuracy two-three days before in my experience. Even then, with Hagibis/Typhoon 19, it wound up drifting further east than expected one or two days earlier. It wasn’t the winds so much as the volume of rain, and that hit places I didn’t think would be as damaged - hello, Kamaishi.

It’s a tough call to make given that it’s a moving force of nature. Yes, it’s (the end of) typhoon season, but a typhoon landing usually means it’s wet and windy for a brief time, but the next day is fine.

So what do you do? Move teams at the first sight, knowing if you do so four days early there’s a chance it’s nothing? Or wait until 24 hours before, when all the other transit involved and infrastructure would need to hold a match needs to get spun up double-quick? Or do you roll the dice, say you’ll cancel pool games, and not expect the 0.5% chance it’s an enormous storm like this?

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

lotta new posts in the rugby thread. assume that means edinburgh v dragons was a classic.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Vaders Jester posted:

The problem with Hagibis was the sheer size of it. It covered much more space than normal, and the speed of it. It developed very quickly, and changed course massively. Midweek they was still talking about Kyushu not Tokyo. By the time people knew enough to make definite decisions, they were the evacuate millions of people decisions. Not where to play a game.

They just had no idea until Sunday morning and people could start checking what would still be usable.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

KennyTheFish posted:

Midweek they was still talking about Kyushu not Tokyo. By the time people knew enough to make definite decisions, they were the evacuate millions of people decisions. Not where to play a game.

Yeah, by the time they knew it was big and coming towards Tokyo, there was already plans to shut down both airports for domestic flights. Eddie Jones and England got out with the quickness.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

HappyCamperGL posted:

lotta new posts in the rugby thread. assume that means edinburgh v dragons was a classic.

If you're a fan of George Clancy it was one for the ages.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Lol at the TV director going to a replay and missing George Horne scoring a try from the quick tap.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

I've not seen much pro12 this season but how poo poo are ospreys? Cause they're looking to southern kings at home. And the kings are really , really poo poo.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

HappyCamperGL posted:

I've not seen much Pro14 this season but how poo poo are Ospreys? Cause they're losing to Southern Kings at home. And the Kings are really, really poo poo.

They are not doing well but they seem to be a special grade of awful in this match.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Typical. Zebre have a man sent off and now they actually start playing rugby.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

If the Ospreys had a decent ten they could have won that but all the have is Luke Price and James Hook they really need to sign McKenzie.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

No chance of getting Sam Davies back?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Vaders Jester posted:

No chance of getting Sam Davies back?

My Dragons have him now. Plus they have Anscombe when he's back fit.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
Bristol just came back from 17-3 to beat Exeter, really enjoyable game to watch.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
Anyone got advice as to where to watch the pro14 games in the UK, preferably online? It looks like my only option is to pay for a sports channel packages which is double expensive for me as I don't even have a TV subscription.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

Kitchner posted:

Anyone got advice as to where to watch the pro14 games in the UK, preferably online? It looks like my only option is to pay for a sports channel packages which is double expensive for me as I don't even have a TV subscription.

If you have a VPN you can grab an ESPN+ subscription for $5 a month or $50 a year. It is also in a bundle with Disney+ if you've got kids/are into Disney. I don't know if it's an option in the UK without a VPN.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

drunk leprechaun posted:

If you have a VPN you can grab an ESPN+ subscription for $5 a month or $50 a year. It is also in a bundle with Disney+ if you've got kids/are into Disney. I don't know if it's an option in the UK without a VPN.

Luckily I do have a VPN so I may look at that as an option. No kids though so the Disney bit won't help.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

Kitchner posted:

Luckily I do have a VPN so I may look at that as an option. No kids though so the Disney bit won't help.

Yeah def take a look at stand-alone ESPN+. They have Pro14, Super Rugby, and MLR(US league) for rugby and an absurd amount of other sports. I've never had any issues with the quality of the streams. And the price was right, at least for the US.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Kitchner posted:

If you happen to be into Marvel or Star Wars, Disney+ will have a load of stuff on it.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Scarlets and Wales can't catch a break it seems. Both Patchell and Jonathan Davies out for months with injuries.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Yeah Davies is a real kick in the teeth. And with Patchell out I dunno who Pivac will pick for the Baa Baas game. Will have to be Sam Davies or Jarrod Evans.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
The SRU have paid their fine and expressed "regret". Let's hope that's the last dumb rugby decision that Scotland makes until the Six Nations

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Just remembered this happening during the world cup match between Wales and Uruguay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Just in case you don't know if you register on https://epcrugby.com then you can watch all the Euro challenge cup games. No commentary but that's no deal breaker.