Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011

cptn_dr posted:

(Full disclosure I'm doing publicity for this book on a volunteer basis - I'm not getting paid, I just like it a lot and I'm not as shy as the author)

If you've finished Gideon and want more weird queer SF written by a New Zealander, The Dawnhounds came out yesterday. It's got gay witches fighting fascist cops with the power of myco-magic! It's about a disgraced ex-cop who has to solve her own murder while a bio-engineered plague tears her city— which is kinda like a Southeast Asian Ankh-Morepork but with more mushrooms—apart around her.

I only have so much linear time! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

StrixNebulosa posted:

I bought the book via amazon as a physical copy because I adore paperbacks, and I was wondering - while that's the cheapest and most effective way to get me a book as soon as it can get here, is it really the best way to support an author? Is there like, a direct itch.io storefront or something, or is amazon the best place?

Ignoring self-published authors for a moment, they get paid the same no matter where you buy a book as they've either received an advance or get a royalty that is detailed in their contract. That said, most authors will tell you to buy books from independent book stores as Amazon is forcing publishers to lower prices, which is often reflected in smaller advances and royalties.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Orv posted:

I only have so much linear time! :argh:

this is real good, worth a read.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Ornamented Death posted:

Ignoring self-published authors for a moment, they get paid the same no matter where you buy a book as they've either received an advance or get a royalty that is detailed in their contract. That said, most authors will tell you to buy books from independent book stores as Amazon is forcing publishers to lower prices, which is often reflected in smaller advances and royalties.

Noted, thanks!

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

StrixNebulosa posted:

Goon-written murder mystery in a city beset by the plague, where the protagonist is both the detective and murder victim.

I was sold on mushroom magic, double sold on "solving your own murder."

Morning Bell
Feb 23, 2006

Illegal Hen

Larry Parrish posted:

does anyone have anything to say about it that's not a feature list because tbh I just skip books where that's all people have to say, cuz they almost always suck and read like someone going through a checklist of stuff nerds would like

'a checklist of stuff nerds would like' hehe that's a good way to put it.

It's a well-written fantasy about queers on a ship and yeah, a lady trying to solve her own murder and stumbling onto Some Serious poo poo. Fun characters, cool mushroomy world, dark in places but a hopeful tone overall, and I really dug the prose because it's very pretty. Does clever LGBT stuff if you chuck on your spectacles and Analyse It but also it's just a good story. (I also beta read this)

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I recently read Prince of Thorns, which I enjoyed but it didn't really blow me away (I'm a big fan of the post-post-apocalypse fantasy idea). Now I'm on to King of Thorns, and maybe a little shy of a quarter of the way through, and it feels very slow and aimless. I'm kind of lost as to what the bigger picture is in this book, it kind of feels like Jorg just loving around and pointedly not letting the reader know why. Does the pace pick up at all, or start going in a different direction? I'm getting kind of bored with it but would soldier through if it's worth it.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

MockingQuantum posted:

I recently read Prince of Thorns, which I enjoyed but it didn't really blow me away (I'm a big fan of the post-post-apocalypse fantasy idea). Now I'm on to King of Thorns, and maybe a little shy of a quarter of the way through, and it feels very slow and aimless. I'm kind of lost as to what the bigger picture is in this book, it kind of feels like Jorg just loving around and pointedly not letting the reader know why. Does the pace pick up at all, or start going in a different direction? I'm getting kind of bored with it but would soldier through if it's worth it.

It starts picking up and building momentum. I thought King was a lot better than Prince.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
Kindle surprised me by informing me it had downloaded my new purchase of The Dawnhounds (I totally forgot I pre-ordered). Will start it soon but it sounds like it's great, so I'm very hopeful.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

StrixNebulosa posted:

Goon-written murder mystery in a city beset by the plague, where the protagonist is both the detective and murder victim.

I haven't read it yet but that's the distilled summary.

e: Just snapped it up, thanks for reccing it, thread!

That is a much better description, thanks

mewse
May 2, 2006

MockingQuantum posted:

The weird thing about Jorg is the author goes hard on the antihero thing in the first book and then can’t really sustain it and Jorg ends up as sort of a generic tortured protagonist.

The other two books are worth reading tho, I enjoyed them. The Jorg plotting stuff generally pays off

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

I haven't read it yet but that's the distilled summary.

e: Just snapped it up, thanks for reccing it, thread!

started this last night and it's very good

reminds me of Jeff Vandermeer's Ambergris novels meets Disco Elysium, if that makes any sense at all

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

mewse posted:

The weird thing about Jorg is the author goes hard on the antihero thing in the first book and then can’t really sustain it and Jorg ends up as sort of a generic tortured protagonist.

The other two books are worth reading tho, I enjoyed them. The Jorg plotting stuff generally pays off

Generic tortured protagonist was a significant improvement over book one grimdark antihero, though, so I enjoyed the other two books more than the first (and the following Red Queen's War series, first book Prince of Fools, with a different protagonist even more than those).

mewse
May 2, 2006

ulmont posted:

Generic tortured protagonist was a significant improvement over book one grimdark antihero, though, so I enjoyed the other two books more than the first (and the following Red Queen's War series, first book Prince of Fools, with a different protagonist even more than those).

Well I sort of enjoyed the thought experiment of what a talented leader would do as a complete sociopath but yeah the other two books felt better with a more conventional plot

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

C.M. Kruger posted:

I presume some SV techbros saw the first point this tweet and decided to make it into a app.
https://twitter.com/erocdrahs/status/1127132182789742592

First of all I don’t call it “consuming” like a novel is a bottle of Soylent

Why can’t people just be cool

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Fallom posted:

First of all I don’t call it “consuming” like a novel is a bottle of Soylent

Why can’t people just be cool

My kid consumes books all the time, but she is 10 months old and thinks Goodnight Moon is delicious so I give it a pass.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.

General Battuta posted:

Yeah, I didn't know if this had made the rounds yet, but he had to be pretty decisively ejected for his conduct. Whether or not that alters your reading (it does mine) it's worth knowing he's a sex pest.

Sorry, this is a few pages back but anyone have any sources on this? I’m trying to reflect these kind of things in my buying habits and Brust is one of my favourite authors. But i figure I should read about what the issue/circumstance are before putting him on the no buy list.

tiniestacorn
Oct 3, 2015

eke out posted:

reminds me of Jeff Vandermeer's Ambergris novels meets Disco Elysium, if that makes any sense at all

Bought on that recommendation alone.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Obligatory question: how much romance/sex is there in The Dawnhounds?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
New Joe ledger book is pretty good. Finished it up and was impressed. It's always nice when the star of the book actually has to deal with the repercussions of getting beat up or shot or blown up. It's why the old series was one of my favorites. The first book in the new series is pretty good. Rage by Jonathan Maberry.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

Obligatory question: how much romance/sex is there in The Dawnhounds?

3/4 in and there's been one brief sex scene and little romance

but sexuality/gender/homophobia is a big deal in the book world and a major focus

eke out fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Nov 10, 2019

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Over the last few years I've been going back and occasionally hitting some of the foundational works of sci-fi that I missed over the years

Last year I finished Dune for the first time and loved it. This weekend I read through Dune Messiah.

I knew going into it that most people think Dune Messiah... ain't great. And yeah, it ain't great. :smith: I enjoyed it but despite its short length I still felt it dragged. Now I sorta get what people mean when they say "just read the first book and forget everything else that comes after it."

Hayt/Duncan is a pretty cool character though!

That being said I've already queued up Children of Dune to come back to after I get a lighter non-Frank Herbert palate cleanser in between :shobon:

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
You hayt to prophecy it.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Drone posted:

Over the last few years I've been going back and occasionally hitting some of the foundational works of sci-fi that I missed over the years

Last year I finished Dune for the first time and loved it. This weekend I read through Dune Messiah.

I knew going into it that most people think Dune Messiah... ain't great. And yeah, it ain't great. :smith: I enjoyed it but despite its short length I still felt it dragged. Now I sorta get what people mean when they say "just read the first book and forget everything else that comes after it."

Hayt/Duncan is a pretty cool character though!

That being said I've already queued up Children of Dune to come back to after I get a lighter non-Frank Herbert palate cleanser in between :shobon:

Actually what they say is read until you hit a book you don't like, then stop because it doesn't get any better beyond that point. This may happen sometime in the 2nd book or the 3rd book. If you make it farther than that then seek medical attention.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

God emperor is bonkers and great, the following two have vagina witches from beyond the edge of space so I cannot being myself to hate them

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

sebmojo posted:

God emperor is bonkers and great, the following two have vagina witches from beyond the edge of space so I cannot being myself to hate them

:same:

though I haven’t read any but the first since I was 15

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Yeah if you can drag yourself through Children you've got no excuse not to read God Emperor.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

God-Emperor is where Frank Herbert shifted into "horny old man writing out his fetishes" mode for the rest of his writing career.
Someone in the old thread/this thread? posted a scrib.d link to the Dune Encyclopedia. It's worth checking out, and more in tune with Frank Herbert's Dune-universe writing than anything Brian Herbet & Kevin J. Anderson have achieved with their Dune-Universe "prequels/sequels" stories.

https://www.scribd.com/doc/38049415/Dune-Encyclopedia

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I recall enjoying Children and God-Emperor and thinking the rest were utterly skippable. But it's been a while.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Not calling out any one book I've been reading lately in particular, but...

I'm getting really tired of fantasy and sci-fi books that make a point of going "oh btw gay people totally exist and are cool and no one has a problem with it" and then have no gay characters while every single hero-affiliated character gets a magical perfect happy marriage with the opposite sex and loads of kids.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
that kind of seems to be all of them lately yeah. or my personal favorite, gay character who doesnt have any further character detail than being the gay one.

healers road had gay people but there was an interesting detail where someone mentions that surrogates are really expensive. dunno if that was an intentional 'you gotta be rich to commit to being gay and having kids' kind of thing though.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Larry Parrish posted:

that kind of seems to be all of them lately yeah. or my personal favorite, gay character who doesnt have any further character detail than being the gay one.

healers road had gay people but there was an interesting detail where someone mentions that surrogates are really expensive. dunno if that was an intentional 'you gotta be rich to commit to being gay and having kids' kind of thing though.

There was one fantasy book that had no gay characters but did include the amusing detail that a common spell used by the healers' guild can let two women - and specifically only two women - have children together. It's a fertility spell cast on women, you see, and guarantees that the next time she has sex she will get pregnant even if her partner is... incapable. It's noted to have been developed for the nobility to ensure heirs, but has found other applications.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

The posts in this thread make me sad that I never made it past the opening pages of God-Emperor. I don't think it was me not liking it, inso much as Books 2 and 3 being a slowburn and then me losing all momentum when I started God-Emperor. Maybe if I reread Dune again I'll try to read the next 3 books this time...

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

MockingQuantum posted:

The second series in the setting starting with Prince of Fools is more enjoyable imo.

Edit: Saw that mentioned already, so backing it.

I don't think Mark Lawrence is my favorite author, but is decent and cranks out work I think he has finished 4 trilogies since 2012.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Nov 11, 2019

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Anyone know of at least some passable campy high action space opera books/series that have come out in the past few years? I really crave a new Star of the Guardian/Deerstalker/Star Wars-ish kinda book.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

nessin posted:

Anyone know of at least some passable campy high action space opera books/series that have come out in the past few years? I really crave a new Star of the Guardian/Deerstalker/Star Wars-ish kinda book.

There is a bunch of stuff that I see when I check the new releases each month, but I am afraid I haven't actually read any of them, so I can't make recommendations.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

nessin posted:

Empress of Forever.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

nessin posted:

Fire with Fire by Charles E Gannon might what you're looking for.

e: Oh and Embers of War by Gareth L Powell.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

sebmojo posted:

It was literally Dune Messiah all over again but worse. It wasn't needed. I was actually quite mad, but I read them one right after another. When they originally came out they were years apart, so it may have seemed better. I stopped after this book because it was terrible and bad and awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I usually ignore the Amazon Originals you get free with Prime; I was under the impression they were all Kindle Unlimited junk. But I noticed this month's collection, Forward, featured a few author's I'd read before (Weir, Jemisin, Tremblay) so I decided to check it out.

There are six 30-60 page SF stories, and the whole thing feels like a quick season of Black Mirror. The Weir story is kind of dumb and Jemisin's is the standout but they're all pretty good. Definitely worth checking out, especially for the price of $0.