Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Played for 2 hours, game owns. And drat it’s pretty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
So odd request, is there a decent resource for some of the lore stuff to read that also doesn’t spoil stuff / story elements for later?

Loving it so far and great atmosphere but chiral this and blood or ash that and I just want to read a bit so I’m understanding a bit more.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Modest Mao posted:

I don't care if there's already a stalker video game, this game is the stalker of video games goddamn it

feel like thats what the title was meant to be but they got couldnt remember which one was which i guess

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

blue squares posted:

I got grabbed by the BTs and I have no idea what the gently caress. I couldnt even figure out what I was supposed to do while the giant squid was attacking me. It barely seemed to do any damage. I just ran around until I got bored and reloaded my save. What?

Just run away from it or throw grenades at it lol how did you not just decide to go in a straight line out of the oil.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

teacup posted:

So odd request, is there a decent resource for some of the lore stuff to read that also doesn’t spoil stuff / story elements for later?

Loving it so far and great atmosphere but chiral this and blood or ash that and I just want to read a bit so I’m understanding a bit more.

The non-spoken lore stuff is delivered to you via email and a codex as you progress through the game and reconnect the KNOTs.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

this game sounds fantastic but it's no Disco Elysium

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Why do boots have to deteriorate so fast. It’s not like they grow on trees.

Edit: VVVV ;)

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Nov 9, 2019

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Steve Yun posted:

Why do boots have to deteriorate so fast. It’s not like they grow on trees.

But Sandalweed does grow near rivers.

People said the start was dull but honestly I've had far worse starts to games. I'd complain more about the amount of expository cutscenes compared to actual gameplay than I would about any dullness. Pace is alright so far.

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene
Kojima games are a different kind of weird than other japanese media. LSD is fun weird. His games are...sad weird.

Maybe even hateful weird.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Fun and inspiring I'd say.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Also a great way to play this game is to load your poo poo up and head out on foot, walking slow so you dont have to worry about balance, and play your favorite music on your headphones or something.

I tried the PS4 spotify app but it stops once you turn the game back on :(

blue squares fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Nov 9, 2019

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene
I might give you that. Its comparatively better than metal gear, which every single time had a message of "gently caress that guy" that the player themself cant escape from.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

JBP posted:

Just run away from it or throw grenades at it lol how did you not just decide to go in a straight line out of the oil.

I was running for a bit but I was in a hilly pass and I couldn't see an end to the oil, so I thought I was supposed to do something. I was kind of annoyed and gave up

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

bob human being posted:

Kojima games are a different kind of weird than other japanese media. LSD is fun weird. His games are...sad weird.

Maybe even hateful weird.

idk. hateful weird would be those weird anime games that are written by weird japanese uber nationalists that love war crimes and 1000 year old 7 year old girls.

kojima strikes me as more of george lucas but with a better track record plus some weird sex poo poo.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Anyone know if you can find which piece of cargo the Mules pinged without dropping all of it?

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

teacup posted:

Yeah, it would be great to be able to understand how exactly the whole void-whatever thing with the exploding bodies work. The whole chiral left , right hand poo poo don't make a ny sense to me.
like why do the cp guy in the beginning try to kill himself?

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene

Dapper_Swindler posted:

idk. hateful weird would be those weird anime games that are written by weird japanese uber nationalists that love war crimes and 1000 year old 7 year old girls.

kojima strikes me as more of george lucas but with a better track record plus some weird sex poo poo.

Thank you. You finished my thought for me. I forgot about the weapons are girls stuff. Kojima games are more confused.

Solid snakes a pretty cool guy and man his life sucks.

I wouldnt mind talking about the sexy stuff. I'm not gonna come at it from a radical leftist perspective but it's definitely WRONG.

Paz the peace girl is the hardest idea to entertain. Was gonna say I outright disagree with making the character but something was definitely said with "your sweetheart from middle or high school is a victim of a freaking bomb and got blasted to smithereens regardless of your input as a soldier and how cheerful she was"

Edit: I know this is the wrong thread because this isnt the MGS one. It's more active tho so I'd say if this gets a discussion going anyone participating can move to the right one.

just bob fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Nov 9, 2019

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Whoever made the map button the options button and the shout button the touchpad button needs to be slapped hard.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Pigbottom posted:

Yeah, it would be great to be able to understand how exactly the whole void-whatever thing with the exploding bodies work. The whole chiral left , right hand poo poo don't make a ny sense to me.
like why do the cp guy in the beginning try to kill himself?

When a BT fully grabs a living person a voidout occurs. It basically a tactical nuclear weapon going off. So when BTs started occurring, anyone who dies can now be a bomb. This is why they cremate people and people are afraid to live together, because someone dying in the night and not being checked on could lead to your whole city being blown up. That's why he tried to kill himself, to prevent a voidout.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

SardonicTyrant posted:

Currently on chapter 3. It's kind of weird that Kojima made a unique world where people are walking nukes and the afterlife is a real thing and the plot barely touches the implications of this.

The nicolas winding refn character talks about it.

He’s the one exploring the whole life and death thing from the trailers. I haven’t gotten that far into the game yet but he does talk about the afterlife the first few times he talks to you.

The people blowing up thing absolutely gets talked about.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

It's fun to come across a pathway someone else was building and finish it off after they've run out of bridges / ropes. Gotta spam those likes and be helpful.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Steam pre-order is up now https://store.steampowered.com/app/1190460/Death_Stranding/?snr=1_4_4__118

safe harbor
Jul 18, 2004
EMO AS FUCK
Can you pause during cutscenes? Hearing about a cutscene over an hour in length has me a bit worried about having to use the bathroom/snack breaks.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

safe harbor posted:

Can you pause during cutscenes? Hearing about a cutscene over an hour in length has me a bit worried about having to use the bathroom/snack breaks.

Yes indeed, the options button brings up the pause or skip menu.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

safe harbor posted:

Yes.

Also roads have begun being built in my game. Almost across the entirety of the second map now. Completely passes over two mule camps.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

safe harbor posted:

Yes

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

This game is loving bonkers but honestly I love it so far. I kind of wish the distances were even farther tbh

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

bob human being posted:

Thank you. You finished my thought for me. I forgot about the weapons are girls stuff. Kojima games are more confused.

Solid snakes a pretty cool guy and man his life sucks.

I wouldnt mind talking about the sexy stuff. I'm not gonna come at it from a radical leftist perspective but it's definitely WRONG.

Paz the peace girl is the hardest idea to entertain. Was gonna say I outright disagree with making the character but something was definitely said with "your sweetheart from middle or high school is a victim of a freaking bomb and got blasted to smithereens regardless of your input as a soldier and how cheerful she was"

Edit: I know this is the wrong thread because this isnt the MGS one. It's more active tho so I'd say if this gets a discussion going anyone participating can move to the right one.

yeah, i think he does dumb stuff and honestly i think his peak is mgs2 and MGS 3. the rest are mixed and weird. Death stranding seems to be pretty good though. this being said. i think he is better than say David cage who is an out and out sex creep. kojima would probably get less flack over stupid poo poo like quiet if he just went the yoko taro route.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
If I’m not mistaken it seems like the BTs are always at ground level, so I’ve had pretty good luck sneaking around them by constantly climbing up rocks and steep slopes

Also in a big picture view it seems like either you take the low road and run into bad guys or you take the high road and deal with lovely terrain

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Vikar Jerome posted:

feel like thats what the title was meant to be but they got couldnt remember which one was which i guess

Death Stranding: The Stalker Of Videogames

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Zikan posted:

When a BT fully grabs a living person a voidout occurs. It basically a tactical nuclear weapon going off. So when BTs started occurring, anyone who dies can now be a bomb. This is why they cremate people and people are afraid to live together, because someone dying in the night and not being checked on could lead to your whole city being blown up. That's why he tried to kill himself, to prevent a voidout.

Oh I get it now. I was under the impression that it was a body vs spirit thing and that any actual physical matter would cause the voidout.

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, i think he does dumb stuff and honestly i think his peak is mgs2 and MGS 3. the rest are mixed and weird. Death stranding seems to be pretty good though. this being said. i think he is better than say David cage who is an out and out sex creep. kojima would probably get less flack over stupid poo poo like quiet if he just went the yoko taro route.

I gave up all hope(is that a womans name in mgs? Seems like it could be) for a reply here because everyone is having a jolly time with death stranding and went head first into the old metal gear thread.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

If I’m not mistaken it seems like the BTs are always at ground level, so I’ve had pretty good luck sneaking around them by constantly climbing up rocks and steep slopes

Also in a big picture view it seems like either you take the low road and run into bad guys or you take the high road and deal with lovely terrain

Thanks for the tip! I'll try that. I hope I don't get stuck somewhere with no tools left haha

Love this game

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

I'm mostly excited about seeing more games in this engine with similar freedom of movement like climbing and abseiling. Imagine something like Dark Souls meets BOTW.

Katty!
Aug 26, 2015

Chillin'

someone put up a 'no pissing' sign so I pissed on it and the baby giggled & refilled its stress meter. game of the year

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Katty! posted:

someone put up a 'no pissing' sign so I pissed on it and the baby giggled & refilled its stress meter. game of the year

Now that’s my Kojima.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
The graphics in this game border on photo-realistic. Some of the people do as well. It bodes well for PS5 graphics being absolutely mind blowing.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Zikan posted:

Being grabbed by a BT has nothing to do with it. The body they were taking to the incinerator they thought was a suicide, not taken by a BT but in danger of a voidout. And if that guy was thinking clearly enough to kill himself over that he'd have realized it didn't matter because they were going to fail incinerating the body.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

This poo poo is weird as gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

nessin posted:

Being grabbed by a BT has nothing to do with it. The body they were taking to the incinerator they thought was a suicide, not taken by a BT but in danger of a voidout. And if that guy was thinking clearly enough to kill himself over that he'd have realized it didn't matter because they were going to fail incinerating the body.

Yup. You're told in about 48 hours after death void outs happen.