Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
So I put about 10 hours in today and finally took a break to do real life things. Game owns, mostly because it's unlike anything else really.

I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of wacky poo poo I can build in the end game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Pablo Nergigante posted:

This game is loving bonkers but honestly I love it so far. I kind of wish the distances were even farther tbh

What chapter are you on? I think the distances are short too but I assume it gets longer later on. Still haven’t reached chapter 3 yet.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

nessin posted:

Being grabbed by a BT has nothing to do with it. The body they were taking to the incinerator they thought was a suicide, not taken by a BT but in danger of a voidout. And if that guy was thinking clearly enough to kill himself over that he'd have realized it didn't matter because they were going to fail incinerating the body.

I was just about to post this. What triggered the explosion in that case? Was it Igor or the corpse they were transporting?

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Spermando posted:

I was just about to post this. What triggered the explosion in that case? Was it Igor or the corpse they were transporting?

Ha, expecting the game to actually define that? Good luck with that. Could have been the corpse. Could have been the two that were taken but somehow triggered early (which also begs why wasn't there another explosion for those two). Could have been Sam himself despite supposedly not being able to voidout not doing it but the whole situation is presented as weird/abnormal so it's possible. Don't expect to ever get an answer.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Spermando posted:

The corpse I think. They mention how it might blow soon.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Is there any point of doing the Deliveries in Chapter 2, when you hit Chapter 3 if you've done all the Orders? I noticed some places on the map not connected to the network. I don't know if I need to grind through Standard Deliveries to unlock them.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Working my way through Chapter 3 now, still loving it.

Had to laugh at running from Alabama to Michigan in like 20 minutes.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
When BTs catch you first thing they’ll try to do is make you fall so they can drag you. So after one or two initial swings, use your triggers to regain your balance, THEN do the Zangief whenever they get close afterwards. I think you only need to right your balance once.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

nessin posted:

Being grabbed by a BT has nothing to do with it. The body they were taking to the incinerator they thought was a suicide, not taken by a BT but in danger of a voidout. And if that guy was thinking clearly enough to kill himself over that he'd have realized it didn't matter because they were going to fail incinerating the body.

You're both correct.

Being "eaten" by a BT triggers an instant voidout - this is stated explicitly in the game a few times. But any corpse also triggers a voidout once it necrotizes, which the game says takes roughly 48 hours (that's why Sam asks how old the body is and he gets all nervous when he says "I'd guess about 40 hours"). The only way to stop a voidout is to destroy the body - there are a lot of references to Egyptian conceptualization of the afterlife and the idea of the body being a vessel that the spirit can return to, hence the need for cremation, which severs the connection to the other side.

The guy was trying to kill himself because he knew it would at least potentially buy Sam some time to get away and raise an evacuation alarm before the 48 hours - instead the BT gets him before he bleeds out from his stab wounds and triggers the voidout right away.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Romes128 posted:

The corpse I think. They mention how it might blow soon.

From what I can gather, a BT consuming a living human causes the voidouts (hence Igor executing the driver and trying to kill himself). They say during the mission to burn President Mom that you're doing it to avoid her turning into a BT. All the BTs you run into there were from corpses they hadn't been able to cremate.

It just so happens that a corpse turning into a BT is pretty much guaranteed to cause a voidout if it happens in a populated bunker.

FallenGod fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Nov 9, 2019

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
The movement reminds me a bit of Snake Pass, including holding L2+R2 to “grip harder.” Both games have very technical movement.

I’m calling it: Death Stranding is a platformer.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I don't understand what I'm supposed to do at this part where I have to make the bridge for the first time. It clearly wants me to build a bridge in the specific spot. but there's already part of a bridge there. Am I supposed to be building next to it? I must have missed the instructions here somewhere

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Macaluso posted:

I don't understand what I'm supposed to do at this part where I have to make the bridge for the first time. It clearly wants me to build a bridge in the specific spot. but there's already part of a bridge there. Am I supposed to be building next to it? I must have missed the instructions here somewhere

Go up to the structure that's already there, open the structure menu (hold Option) and contribute the metal you're carrying.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

:doh: That was my problem, I wasn't holding the button

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Pulcinella posted:

I’m calling it: Death Stranding is a platformer.

ahahahahah

agreed

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
First boss fight!

It’s easy once you figure out what you need to do, but before that the confusion of WTF is going on will be your worst obstacle.

Practice how to use hematic grenades, attach blood bags and swap out spent blood bags before you get to Port Knot.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I wish they'd explore what the cities actually are like. I feel like it should be a surveilance society where everyone is monitored so they when they die they don't level the city.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

SardonicTyrant posted:

I wish they'd explore what the cities actually are like. I feel like it should be a surveilance society where everyone is monitored so they when they die they don't level the city.
that would rocket this game's budget to 9 digits, up from 8

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Steve Yun posted:

First boss fight!

It’s easy once you figure out what you need to do, but before that the confusion of WTF is going on will be your worst obstacle.

Practice how to use hematic grenades, attach blood bags and swap out spent blood bags before you get to Port Knot.

Still good advice but worth noting you don't have to manually attach or swap bags - they get used automatically (at least if they're in your utility pouch, can't speak for anything else) and once one empties, hematic grenades will always tap into a fresh bag automatically as long as you're carrying one before it starts tapping into you health bar.

But yeah it's definitely an easy fight. Cool setpiece though.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

that would rocket this game's budget to 9 digits, up from 8
Drop an actor or two?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I got dragged through the goo for the first time :stonk:

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
God I love the controls and the bulkiness of everything.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

i have no idea if this game is good or not, but i want to keep playing. i don't find it particularly fun, but i find it massively intriguing. i'm not sure how sustainable that is but i feel like kojima is the person to keep it interesting for a while.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, i think he does dumb stuff and honestly i think his peak is mgs2 and MGS 3. the rest are mixed and weird. Death stranding seems to be pretty good though. this being said. i think he is better than say David cage who is an out and out sex creep. kojima would probably get less flack over stupid poo poo like quiet if he just went the yoko taro route.

yoko taro is also a much, much better writer than kojima. the good MGS stories weren't written by kojima.
neither is the dialogue in DS though, this games batshit backstory probably is though

anyway i've played a herculean amount of this game already and its good!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

nachos posted:

What chapter are you on? I think the distances are short too but I assume it gets longer later on. Still haven’t reached chapter 3 yet.

Same, I’m only on chapter 2 so far

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I think it's a combination of Yoko Taro and having a good localization team.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Communist Thoughts posted:

yoko taro is also a much, much better writer than kojima. the good MGS stories weren't written by kojima.
neither is the dialogue in DS though, this games batshit backstory probably is though

anyway i've played a herculean amount of this game already and its good!

id agree with that. yoko taro goes all weird as gently caress but his games are always about super heavy poo poo and always have good but depressing stories/characters/etc.

like i said, kojima is very much like lucas in that regard. weird cool overal ideas but he needs people to craft it into something interesting.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Nov 9, 2019

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I just found a big ravine with ladders, ropes and poo poo everywhere. Found it hard and time consuming to navigate anyway. Trekked to a bunker, picked up some materials, trekked back, built a bridge. Took fifteen minutes. Felt great. Great game.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
There should be a dialysis mechanic for your gamer canteen. Would really add to the verisimilitude of the experience.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

Steve Yun posted:

First boss fight!

My first boss fight I used my first lot of grenades and couldn't seem to equip my other grenades and nothing seemed to let me select then in the wheel because empty grenades still show up on the equipment wheel.

In the excitement of the fight I never saw the prompt on the equipment wheel to go to a second page of equipment where the other 3 sets of grenades were displayed.

R3 changes pages on the equipment wheel btw.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
Troy Baker is definitely having way more fun than everyone else in this game.

psyman
Nov 1, 2008
Regarding HUD text size, have you guys got overscan or “screen fit” set in the display options on your TV?. Some screens don’t scale this properly and will slightly pixelate the image to fit more in the frame (kind of like downsizing a photo without any filtering), so try switching to 16:9 there.

Overscan is good for films and TV because more of the fixed camera image is shown, but in games the same effect can be achieved by increasing FOV if DS offers that.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Popular Human posted:

Troy Baker is definitely having way more fun than everyone else in this game.
He's incredible.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

They're roughly even but they both also let their horniness and proclivities get in the way of what they're trying to say or do regularly

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I'm actually kinda enjoying the game now that the cutscenes are fewer and further between. The gameplay does get a bit better, though the game's been trivial so far.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

So after you get the bike, you get a job to bring a thing back to the first city in the region a thing in 30 minutes. A cool thing was that on the way there, I have come across two player made generators so my bike has gotten fuel refills on the way there. Running into player made stuff is super cool.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Macaluso posted:

So after you get the bike, you get a job to bring a thing back to the first city in the region a thing in 30 minutes. A cool thing was that on the way there, I have come across two player made generators so my bike has gotten fuel refills on the way there. Running into player made stuff is super cool.

It's cool, though it does make the game pretty easy.

Meshka
Nov 27, 2016
I love the game. I was worried from the reviews, but honestly its feels like a real journey. I think Hideo went to iceland before he decided on the environment, it's not american landscale. I came back from there two weeks ago and it feels like I am playing a video game of me hiking there. So far so good. I am almost at the Port Knot City.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
The game feels a lot like Tetris, on normal difficulty, where there aren’t any problems that are massively difficult or require lightning fast reflexes, but it needs constant attention from your brain, Lower level brain activity but constantly, and I think when you’re constantly making tiny decisions like should I turn left or should I turn right or should I climb over this thing or should I pull on my backpack straps, I think it will send your brain into a similar zone that Tetris does

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Panzeh posted:

It's cool, though it does make the game pretty easy.

I'm playing on easy like a scrub so that works out :v: