Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Do you have an especially low-spec system where Chrome is running up against resource constraints?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Resonance
Dec 17, 2002

Don't give me any shit about plumbers, Jan.

Thermopyle posted:

Do you have an especially low-spec system where Chrome is running up against resource constraints?

I'm still having this issue on my work desktop, my tabs are constantly discarded (and I only have ~5 open at a time) early in the day before I've even loaded much else, so there does seem to be some weird glitch on Windows. No problems at all with my crappy 2gb chromebook.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Resonance posted:

I'm still having this issue on my work desktop, my tabs are constantly discarded (and I only have ~5 open at a time) early in the day before I've even loaded much else, so there does seem to be some weird glitch on Windows. No problems at all with my crappy 2gb chromebook.

FWIW, I often have over 30 tabs open on my Windows machine (which has 32GB of ram) and do not see this issue.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Thermopyle posted:

It's a 4-5 year old PC, not a laptop or anything. Not getting a lot of "Chrome is out of memory" errors.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
I set up a new laptop for my mother (Lenovo L390 Yoga with some added RAM and a bigger SSD) and had a weird problem with Chrome. For some reason, it would refuse to actually render anything except the basic Chrome drop down menus and UI. The only page elements I could seem to make it render was an occasional empty bubble or box or bullet point. Absolutely no text or images. I figured it was some weird issue with DPI scaling, but even with it disabled and after a reboot, still nothing. I tried stable and dev branches and they both looked the same. I would try turning off hardware acceleration, but I can't even manage to find it because everything's just empty.

There's other browsers and it's not a big deal because she's not exactly picky, but I'm very curious for myself what the hell is going on. Fresh install of windows, latest drivers, and everything else seems to work fine. Googling doesn't seem to return a similar problem with any search terms I can think of.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
No, it wasn’t a virus; it was Chrome that stopped Macs from booting

quote:

It would appear a bug in the Chrome update inadvertently attempted to modify parts of the macOS file system. When SIP was enabled—as it is by default—SIP worked as designed and prevented the change. When the protection was disabled, however, the file system was modified in a way that prevented Macs from rebooting. Specifically, according to the Chrome bug thread, the buggy Chrome update removed a crucial symbolic link pointing to the /var folder.

quote:

The reason so many users of the Avid Media Composer program were affected, Mac enterprise blog Mr. Macintosh reported, is that some users of the film-editing software must disable SIP when using third-party graphics cards. The publication has dubbed the /var-killing bug "varsectomy."

Holy lol.

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Sep 26, 2019

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
This is amazing.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
So that is why Microsoft wanted to build their new web browser on Chrome's code. . .

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Ublock Origin dev builds have been rejected by the Google Chrome webstore.

https://www.ghacks.net/2019/10/12/the-end-of-ublock-origin-for-google-chrome/

https://github.com/uBlockOrigin/uBlock-issues/issues/745

It's a weird rejection that may be a mistake / automated testing nonsense, but Gorhill the ublock guy is already so pissed at google that he's not even going to argue about it. We'll see what happens when the next mainline release is pushed.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
You can still install unpacked extensions, but having to do that is stupid.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
But scammers can still buy out an extension author and pack an update with spyware and the poo poo gets approved. Thanks, Google

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
The good news is Google employees saw it and fixed it
They don't know why it was rejected

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Malloc Voidstar posted:

The good news is Google employees saw it and fixed it
They don't know why it was rejected

Lol, yeah okay.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

just updated and i now have these hover blocks containing title and url whenever i hover over a tab. not cool. how do i turn this off?

e: they're called hover cards, and you can turn them off in flags.

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Oct 23, 2019

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

abelwingnut posted:

just updated and i now have these hover blocks containing title and url whenever i hover over a tab. not cool. how do i turn this off?

e: they're called hover cards, and you can turn them off in flags.

Thanks. They were driving me insane, and I had only had it running for a couple of hours (chrome://flags and search for "hover" then disable "Tab Hover Cards")

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I've given Vivaldi a committed try over the past 3 weeks.

And...I've grown to love it! I wasn't sold on it at first, but I came around and I won't be switching back to Chrome.

Being based on Chromium, it's got the parts of Chrome that I most wanted to keep and added a lot of really nice stuff.

My favorite feature is moving my tabs to the side and turning of tab previews. I just have a nice stack of tabs all down the left side of the window with actual readable titles.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
With the latest update, after tab mute now the "close other tabs" option is gone as well. How do people survive without? "Close tabs to the right" seems much less useful, why did only that option survive.

Thermopyle posted:

I've given Vivaldi a committed try over the past 3 weeks.

And...I've grown to love it! I wasn't sold on it at first, but I came around and I won't be switching back to Chrome.

Being based on Chromium, it's got the parts of Chrome that I most wanted to keep and added a lot of really nice stuff.

My favorite feature is moving my tabs to the side and turning of tab previews. I just have a nice stack of tabs all down the left side of the window with actual readable titles.

I'd love to use Vivaldi, but last time I tried, it didn't have the "Create shortcut" option Chrome/Chredge have that allows me to open my emails in its own window.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Can't say I've ever used close other tabs.

They did finally add dark mode though, woohoo!

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

not seeing a dark mode option in the windows version. how do you enable it?

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

abelwingnut posted:

not seeing a dark mode option in the windows version. how do you enable it?

chrome://flags/#enable-force-dark

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Harminoff posted:

Can't say I've ever used close other tabs.

They did finally add dark mode though, woohoo!

Can't imagine browsing without - for me, the amount of tabs increases continually. And at some point, it gets to be too much and I close all of them but the current one.

Dark mode has been in for a few stable versions now, but only enabled by default for select usergroups.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Harminoff posted:

chrome://flags/#enable-force-dark

oh hell yea--thanks

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Lambert posted:

With the latest update, after tab mute now the "close other tabs" option is gone as well. How do people survive without? "Close tabs to the right" seems much less useful, why did only that option survive.

I'd love to use Vivaldi, but last time I tried, it didn't have the "Create shortcut" option Chrome/Chredge have that allows me to open my emails in its own window.

Yeah, I use that option with Chrome for my gmail as well. Since Vivaldi doesn't seem to have it, I still just use the Gmail in its Chrome window.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

has anyone had severe issues with watching videos in chrome 77?

it seems now whenever i have several videos loaded in tabs it severely lags the video. both in terms of when its playing and it's ability to fetch/buffer segments ahead of it.

i'm also having issues with my frame rate for games when i have chrome open as well. this was never an issue in 76. i even reinstalled video drivers which seem to help a little.

in task manager for example it says the gpu process is using 1.4gb of ram. the tab that is taking up the most amount of memory is just a page with a gallery of videos but none of them are currently loaded.

edit: seems like they're at 78 so i meant 78/77 respectively.

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Oct 27, 2019

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I switched to Firefox earlier this year and have been pretty happy with it. Not sure why I'm still subscribed to this thread, maybe because it's a bit like an extremely slow motion car crash with Google running what was one of their truly best products into the ground.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

SCheeseman posted:

I switched to Firefox earlier this year and have been pretty happy with it. Not sure why I'm still subscribed to this thread, maybe because it's a bit like an extremely slow motion car crash with Google running what was one of their truly best products into the ground.

I made the switch the other day after the "close other tabs" removal; it's hard to believe that only 6% of people used that function, but whatever. Firefox feels kind of archaic and crufty but works well enough.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Weedle posted:

I made the switch the other day after the "close other tabs" removal; it's hard to believe that only 6% of people used that function, but whatever. Firefox feels kind of archaic and crufty but works well enough.

That is a seriously weird thing to remove. Just leave it there.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost
I have a "Video Title Adder" extension that I've been using on Chrome forever that adds a title + thumbnail for any YouTube URL. Really handy for deciding if you felt like clicking a vid link or not. It's now failed, and the URL is dead (just 404s when I try to find it in the webstore) and I can't find any reference to it being changed/fixed/replaced/killed.

It apparently just got nuked from the internet, which sucks. Anyone have any idea?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

aas Bandit posted:

I have a "Video Title Adder" extension that I've been using on Chrome forever that adds a title + thumbnail for any YouTube URL. Really handy for deciding if you felt like clicking a vid link or not. It's now failed, and the URL is dead (just 404s when I try to find it in the webstore) and I can't find any reference to it being changed/fixed/replaced/killed.

It apparently just got nuked from the internet, which sucks. Anyone have any idea?

Same. I hate that it's gone.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

aas Bandit posted:

There's a userscript called "youtube link title" if you have tampermonkey that does the same thing.

However it doesn't work out of the box anymore because it relies on google api, and the api key that's hardcoded into the script expired or got deleted or something. See the firefox thread starting here.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Klyith posted:

There's a userscript called "youtube link title" if you have tampermonkey that does the same thing.

However it doesn't work out of the box anymore because it relies on google api, and the api key that's hardcoded into the script expired or got deleted or something. See the firefox thread starting here.

I installed tampermonkey and grabbed the script and got as far as loading the Google project page that I'd have to decipher to figure out how to create the API and decide what parameters to associate with some silly-rear end placeholder project that doesn't actually mean anything. I realized that I'd have to figure out a bunch more poo poo, all just to know wtf someone's blind link is, and decided it's a few too many hoops for me at this point in time.

Thanks! (sincerely), but...eh, gently caress it. Someone will either create a new extension or they won't. I'm lazy.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

aas Bandit posted:

I installed tampermonkey and grabbed the script and got as far as loading the Google project page that I'd have to decipher to figure out how to create the API and decide what parameters to associate with some silly-rear end placeholder project that doesn't actually mean anything. I realized that I'd have to figure out a bunch more poo poo, all just to know wtf someone's blind link is, and decided it's a few too many hoops for me at this point in time.

Thanks! (sincerely), but...eh, gently caress it. Someone will either create a new extension or they won't. I'm lazy.

I was worried I'd be the same but someone made a simple guide for people like us who don't know what the gently caress we are doing...

Stolen from Reddit posted:

1.Go to https://console.developers.google.com/project
2. Click on CREATE PROJECT. Give your project a name and click CREATE.
3. Click on the menu at top left and go to APIs & Services>Library
4. Search for youtube, and click on YouTube Data API v3
5. Click ENABLE to enable the API.
6. Click on CREATE CREDENTIALS
7. Select the YouTube Data API v3. I don't know if it matters where you will be calling the API from; I selected Chrome application as I thought that was the closest thing to a Web Extension. Select Public data and click on What credentials do I need?
8. Now it gives you your API key. Copy this to the clipboard.
9. (Home stretch) Edit the script - not sure how to do this with Greasemonkey; Violentmonkey has a button for it under the script name on the Dashboard page. At line 634, edit the line to match the image posted by moh82sy earlier: https://i.imgur.com/Z2LR1vv.png Paste your API key in where the blacked out bit is on the image. Save the script, and it should be working again!

I've managed to get it working now thank god.

Dragonstoned fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Nov 3, 2019

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Is there a way to lock down chrome extensions so they can't make network requests?

I want to use http://www.bumblebeesystems.com/wastenotime/#main but the permissions chrome extensions need are loving insane? It can 'read and change my data on all websites I visit'.

e: Do google do anything to stop people writing total honey trap extensions?

jiggerypokery fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Nov 3, 2019

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

jiggerypokery posted:

Is there a way to lock down chrome extensions so they can't make network requests?

I want to use http://www.bumblebeesystems.com/wastenotime/#main but the permissions chrome extensions need are loving insane? It can 'read and change my data on all websites I visit'.

The problem is that the permissions system in Chrome isn't fine-grained enough.

The "read and change data on all websites I visit" permission is required for that extension because that's the only permission they can ask for that lets them see the websites you visit.

There is no "get url/name of websites I visit" permission.

But, Google does pay attention to bad actors, it's just that it's basically impossible to automate the detection of "bad" extensions.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

jiggerypokery posted:

This is like the most basic level of permission for most extensions. I don't think there's a step where an extension can just see what site you're visiting (as that extension needs to do) without also having access to the data in it.

quote:

They try. They have automated tools that try to detect nefarious behavior, and they remove / revoke extensions that do bad things. But it's a trust system and you shouldn't install extensions that you don't have reason to trust. There have been popular extensions where the author sold control to adware or malware fuckos.

On the scale of how much it can gently caress you, a browser extension is closer to a piece of random software than a random website. I'd visit shadywebsite.com sooner than I'd run shadyprogram.exe if I had to choose.

That particular extension I'd be ok trusting, it's been around since 2013.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Meh. I'll keep my browser extension free (except adblock). The whole idea seems utterly broken.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Thermopyle posted:

The problem is that the permissions system in Chrome isn't fine-grained enough.

The "read and change data on all websites I visit" permission is required for that extension because that's the only permission they can ask for that lets them see the websites you visit.

There is no "get url/name of websites I visit" permission.

But, Google does pay attention to bad actors, it's just that it's basically impossible to automate the detection of "bad" extensions.

You can make the extension just read data on certain websites, if you open an extension options in chrome there is:

quote:

Site access
Allow this extension to read and change all your data on websites you visit:
On click
On specific sites
On all sites

on click you have to click the extension icon on the top bar to allow it to read the website

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
"Close other tabs" is now back in the latest Canary build, thank god.

Now they need to restore tab mute.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Nov 4, 2019

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Using forced dark mode makes the forums look terrible to me. Any way to fix that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I'm on Chrome 78(.0.3904.97), and it's no longer showing https or www in the address bar. Searching for how to make it show up again leads me to results saying to go to chrome://flags/#omnibox-ui-hide-steady-state-url-scheme-and-subdomains or chrome://flags/#omnibox-ui-hide-steady-state-url-trivial-subdomains, but neither of those exist for me.

Is there any way to bring that back?