Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Probably dumb question. Am I crazy for using hariyama as my default fighting type?

Basically fighting types in raids goes:
Breloom with Dynamic Punch (but so squishy) > Machamp with Dynamic Punch > Hariyama with Dynamic Punch > Machamp with Submission/Close Combat > Other Hariyamas

Also the new gen 5s but that’s a pretty good rule of thumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aqu
Aug 1, 2006

But Mooooooooom
Conkeldurr will be best fighting your when it is added, so not much point in rushing to max out a Machamp now if you have a serviceable Hariyama.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
In PvP mode like against the Rockets, Hariyama just as good as Machamp I'm pretty sure, due to its higher bulk. In Great League and Ultra League it should be better than Machamp for the same reason.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

aqu posted:

Conkeldurr will be best fighting your when it is added, so not much point in rushing to max out a Machamp now if you have a serviceable Hariyama.

Yeah I think if you have any combination of the above you’re basically fine. Unless you’re trying to do a raid with very few people you usually don’t need to be optimal for those.

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

i like the rocket stuff its fun

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Entropist posted:

In PvP mode like against the Rockets, Hariyama just as good as Machamp I'm pretty sure, due to its higher bulk. In Great League and Ultra League it should be better than Machamp for the same reason.

Machamp is still usually preferred because Rock Slide is a better coverage move than Heavy Slam. Also legacy Cross Chop on 'Champ. Otherwise you're correct. Hariyama's extra heft might be worth it against Rockets, though.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

tildes posted:

Basically fighting types in raids goes:
Breloom with Dynamic Punch (but so squishy) > Machamp with Dynamic Punch > Hariyama with Dynamic Punch > Machamp with Submission/Close Combat > Other Hariyamas

Also the new gen 5s but that’s a pretty good rule of thumb.

Breloom does about 19 DPS whereas Machamp does about 18.3. But Machamp tops TDO with a 5.82 compared to Breloom's 4.43. So Machamp will do more damage before it dies but Breloom will go hard and fast. Hariyama is 16.8 and 5.94 respectively. So overall Machamp is better but if you need to use fighting (which in Pogo is a lot of the time!) any of these that you have is good.

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

I have lost all powers of reading comprehension and counting ability hours ago
Melmetal beats the poo poo out of Snorlax, and has enough left over in the tank to dish out a flash cannon or two on tyranitar. Worth the second move cost.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Beastyfella posted:

Melmetal beats the poo poo out of Snorlax, and has enough left over in the tank to dish out a flash cannon or two on tyranitar. Worth the second move cost.

what are the best movesets for melty? I never use mine, might have to start!

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Why not just use Lucario? That steel typing gives it an assload of resistances with that sweet STAB fighting

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

Thunder shock, rock slide and flash cannon

I've got one riolu, and stupidly evolved it before teaching it a second attack so now it costs 75 candy. Also I burned a ton of TMs and still dont have power up punch.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Beastyfella posted:

Thunder shock, rock slide and flash cannon

I've got one riolu, and stupidly evolved it before teaching it a second attack so now it costs 75 candy. Also I burned a ton of TMs and still dont have power up punch.

Lucario cost 75 candy for another move? That's good to know thank you sir.

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

Yeah, as riolu it's 25.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down
Speaking of fighting pokemon, caught this today

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
I want a shiney sumo so drat bad

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Parrotine posted:

Why not just use Lucario? That steel typing gives it an assload of resistances with that sweet STAB fighting

Plus Power Up Punch is nice for shield bait.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I'm gonna assume Cobalion is garbo and not very useful in Go and thus not going to stand in the rain again to catch another after my first one turned out to have complete awful stats.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Saoshyant posted:

I'm gonna assume Cobalion is garbo and not very useful in Go and thus not going to stand in the rain again to catch another after my first one turned out to have complete awful stats.

1/4 raids for catches with cobalion. Lv20 80%

Pictured: 5k hmbol

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

Mankey is better than cobalion.

I've now eaten the candy cost to give Lucario a second move, and after 12+ TMs I still dont have Power Up Punch to go with my shadowball

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Why are the suggested pvp teams for team rocket fights so godawful? For me it's always my 3 highest CP pokemon: two slakings and a mewtwo.

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp

Wheany posted:

Why are the suggested pvp teams for team rocket fights so godawful? For me it's always my 3 highest CP pokemon: two slakings and a mewtwo.

The suggested teams in this game have a long history of sucking, sadly. They got a bit better over time, but yeah.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Wheany posted:

It prioritizes survivability, except when it inexplicably doesn't (like suggesting alolan exeggutors for blizzard kyogre)

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

It prioritizes survivability, except when it inexplicably doesn't (like suggesting alolan exeggutors for blizzard kyogre)

Except mewtwo loving melts in every team rocket fight because everything has dark attacks.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Wheany posted:

Except mewtwo loving melts in every team rocket fight because everything has dark attacks.

That would be the "inexplicably doesn't", yes. I don't know if they change it on a whim or it's just always hitting weird weather edge cases or what but it's terrible more times than it's not, especially for things like gym attackers.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
I'm fairly certain the Rocket suggested team is even lazier, and is in fact just your 3 highest CP Pokemon.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

Kantesu posted:

I'm fairly certain the Rocket suggested team is even lazier, and is in fact just your 3 highest CP Pokemon.

Pretty sure it's this too. I just get suggested the three slakings every time

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Can you create pre-set teams for Rocket fights, like you can for league matches?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Hannibal Rex posted:

Can you create pre-set teams for Rocket fights, like you can for league matches?

Why make things easy?

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
There's no Rocket-specific teams, it just reuses the ones you make for the Leagues. I have 4 or 5 Master League teams set up for various Rocket fights.

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

I beat the crap out of Arlo first try. He had Scyther, Gyarados, and Scizor. That Scyther was a good shield baiter and charged really fast.

Melmetal trashed him, put a good dent in Gyarados. Mamoswine with ancient power finished it off. Blaziken finished off Scizor but it was close.

Finally got power up punch on Lucario, so I think I'm pretty set now.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Are stops just dispensing fewer potions now, or am I running low from getting smashed by leaders so much? I feel like I’m getting way more balls than I was before this event.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Coq au Nandos posted:

Are stops just dispensing fewer potions now, or am I running low from getting smashed by leaders so much? I feel like I’m getting way more balls than I was before this event.

I seem to get quite a few max potions and revives from gifts.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Stops always dropped fewer pots than gyms, it’s real easy to accidentally overstock on them when nasty raids and rocket stops aren’t consuming them nonstop though

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Wheany posted:

The team recommendation AI for your game is obviously broken. Everyone knows the optimal loadout for any PVP fight is Aggron, Aggron and Aggron.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Somehow the recommendation algorithm is pretty OK for raid battles but it seems to lack enough information to do anything more than "top 3 cp mons" in PVP. Incidentally, Psycho Cut/Psystrike Mewtwo is actually incredibly nice against Rockets that don't use Bite. I've also had great success with Fury Cutter/XScissor Scizor, the classic Thundershock/Rock Slide Melmetal, Powder Snow/Avalanche Mamoswine, and Shadow Claw/Ominous Wind Giratina-O (the boosts are always hilarious). Basically, any low energy charge move and a super gaining fast move will work wonders. You want to prioritize sending out as many charge moves as possible while taking advantage of the small 1 second wait the AI has between both your actions and their own.

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

Saw a video where Lucario soloed cliff. I need to power mine up more

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Beastyfella posted:

Saw a video where Lucario soloed cliff. I need to power mine up more

How is that possible? Just one Lucario? I might need to power up mine and dump a ton of candy into him...

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Cowslips Warren posted:

How is that possible? Just one Lucario? I might need to power up mine and dump a ton of candy into him...

Playing with charged moves and the knowledge that you can usually store up energy for >1 at a time is how one Mamoswine can solo an entire Dratini-Dragonite-Dragonite team while simultaneously being unable to 1v1 a Dragonite. Build energy on the weak frontline stuff and use your charged moves to 1hko everything behind it.

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

It's a maxed high IV Lucario. Use power up punch to make Counter hit like a truck. It barely made it out with a sliver of health. It used power up punch smartly to cancel/delay upcoming enemy charge moves.

Edit:. Someone beat Sierra with a great league poliwrath. Mud shot, power up punch / ice punch

Sneasel, sableye, houndoom

Beastyfella fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Nov 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
In other words, almost reach your charge move and then switch Pokemon?