Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

exquisite tea posted:

Well that's why Kojima's over-the-topness worked for MGS, isn't it. The braggadocio gameplay was thematically consistent with the writing and characters. I think something with more meditative gameplay like Death Stranding needs a subtler treatment that isn't afraid to shut up and let the player experience things for themselves.

I'll tell you when I finish the game. I think carting poo poo around like an Amazon partner (who is referred to as the most legendary Amazon partner) in actual hell on earth with whale ghosts and sneaking around as a normal soldier (referred to as the most legendary normal soldier) at a military base commandeered by supernatural warriors trying to steal their dead gay clone dad's mechwarrior have a lot in common tonally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

Trickyblackjack posted:

Why not have this game take place in actual Iceland/Ireland if you want to ape this kind of landscape? The map scale would make more sense as well. If Kojima wanted his game to look "surreal" and "alien", why not actually create a surreal and alien landscape instead of aping something that actually exists? (not to mention that describing the countryside of another country as alien is a bit weird).
Does this game really need to take place in the US? Does the theme of connectivity only apply to the American experience? Does Kojima see Iceland as too backwater? That it doesn't have ads or the internet? Is he cynical about Americans being uninterested in his weird game if it doesn't take place in the US?

imho he's dunking on americans and our incessant need to hate each other for both valid reasons, and for the dumbest fuckin inconsequential poo poo imaginable

hence why sam "reedus and the fetus" porter needs to RECONNECT america

because death has left them stranded. stranding. idk im hungover

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

JBP posted:

I love it when I'm loaded down with poo poo and some absolute legend has left me a rope.

I'm only 4 hours in, but doing some optional deliveries and those rope heroes have really saved a trip or two.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Trickyblackjack posted:

Why not have this game take place in actual Iceland/Ireland if you want to ape this kind of landscape? The map scale would make more sense as well. If Kojima wanted his game to look "surreal" and "alien", why not actually create a surreal and alien landscape instead of aping something that actually exists? (not to mention that describing the countryside of another country as alien is a bit weird).
Does this game really need to take place in the US? Does the theme of connectivity only apply to the American experience? Does Kojima see Iceland as too backwater? That it doesn't have ads or the internet? Is he cynical about Americans being uninterested in his weird game if it doesn't take place in the US?

Nordic people are socially adjusted so the premise wouldn’t make sense any more.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

If it was just set in Iceland, it'd maybe be time terraformed to be like Australia. We're mixing things up!

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

re: the landscape

idk it rains time and maybe that helped the hellscape fracked landscape we call earth get all hosed up and look like a toddlers lego play area? maybe nanomachines???

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

*chiralmachines

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I’m not sure I understand the entrust mechanic. It seems like I can drop off cargo at a postbox for 25% of the likes id normally get. However I can also claim the lost cargo at a postbox and then drop it off at the same postbox to get some free likes as well? Is that intentional?

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

homeless snail posted:

*chiralmachines

notes from Kojima Productions whiteboard: "chiral = nano but dead and spooky?!"

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
I'm in the second region but I never got round to finding a bike battery. Where do I have to go to do that?

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I want to groan at how unabashedly in your face the symbolism is, but I can't stop grinning at the melodrama. So keep injecting it into my veins Kojima.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Spermando posted:

I'm in the second region but I never got round to finding a bike battery. Where do I have to go to do that?

You need to use your pcc to build a generator

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Spermando posted:

You don’t. You build a charger next to the bike. That charges it’s battery.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is redbox the cheapest way to rent this?

This both looks terribly boring and rather interesting and I can't figure out which it is.

also it appears from some streamers, the bike physics are just loving broken and busted lol

one guy was just zooming across the land, taking 1% damage to his cargo and getting there super fast.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

SardonicTyrant posted:

I think it's a combination of Yoko Taro and having a good localization team.

yeah thats true, it was really noticeable going from playing Drak3, which has an insane but entirely followable and satisfying story, to going to Dark Souls which seems to be (intentionally?) very poorly localised so you can't actually parse a lot of what is written

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Is redbox the cheapest way to rent this?

This both looks terribly boring and rather interesting and I can't figure out which it is.

also it appears from some streamers, the bike physics are just loving broken and busted lol

one guy was just zooming across the land, taking 1% damage to his cargo and getting there super fast.

the trike has the soul of the mass effect 1 Mako where you can just keep popping wheelies and boosting and eventually it'll crawl up the face of God Himself

its a good thing, i hope they keep it in even though its obviously stupid, which is how i feel about the game in general

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I haven't felt bored once in 10 hours. The vehicles aren't great but I don't know the trick to making the bike not gently caress up and jam on rocks. It's for smooth surfaces.

Oh also I've got no idea how one would rent any game.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Hamelekim posted:

You don’t. You build a charger next to the bike. That charges it’s battery.

Okay, thanks guys. Where was the bike parked?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Spermando posted:

Okay, thanks guys. Where was the bike parked?

Distribution centre west of capital knot city.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Death Stranding is Lord of the Rings, but you play has Frodo delivering the One Ring to the Doom Mountain

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Only on Chapter 3!

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Been playing for a bit and it's fine. Graphics are nice, drunkenly stumbling around in a green field with a screaming baby under grey skies really approximates what I imagine being in the apocalypse\an Irish mother is like. Nothing really strikes me as especially good yet, but I'm not angry either.

Also, this is def not the Tarkovsky of video games; this is the high concept\low brow Hollywood movie of video games. It's got McConaughey's Serenity levels of a stupid writer thinking they're clever oozing off of it... which is a plus, mind.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Heavy Metal posted:

Couldn't it be his style of cutscene is just not your thing?

Why do I keep seeing this condescension to people who think the writing is bad? Sometimes it's loving bad writing and you love it for that reason. It's okay to like it, man.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Joe Gillian posted:

Why do I keep seeing this condescension to people who think the writing is bad? Sometimes it's loving bad writing and you love it for that reason. It's okay to like it, man.

They were giving specific reasons why they wanted the game's cinematic presentation to be an entirely different direction. This isn't being condescending, it's just that everyone digs different things. I'd rather we have those different things. I really like the choices he made and I'm passionate about it, and I don't consider it bad writing.

How is yours that I should accept what I think is good, is in fact bad, a less condescending take?

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Nov 9, 2019

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Heavy Metal posted:

They were giving specific reasons why they wanted the game's cinematic presentation to be an entirely different direction. This isn't being condescending, it's just that everyone digs different things. I'd rather we have those different things. I really like the choices he made and I'm passionate about it, and I don't consider it bad writing.

That's just like, your opinion man.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Are you even playing the drat game, you scamp?

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Heavy Metal posted:

Are you even playing the drat game, you scamp?

Nothing I've said hinges on if I have or not.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Heavy Metal posted:

Everyone has their own personal preferences, but my issues with Death Stranding run a bit deeper than that, because I think what Kojima is trying to achieve thematically is directly betrayed by the game's own wordy presentation. When everything otherworldly and strange is explained immediately thereafter by a voice actor who hasn't internalized the character (because there is none), it becomes a greater structural problem. As I'm playing through Death Stranding I can't help but think about Control, another game to recently convey a horrific extradimensional invasion of America, and really appreciate its comparatively sparse exposition that simply allowed things to be weird.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

You have opinions on what he could've done to make the game's narrative work for you. I can dig that, but that's the thing, your suggestions would just make it better for your taste. I dig Control too, but they're very different voices at work.

Joe Gillian posted:

Nothing I've said hinges on if I have or not.
It's a bit odd actually. It's like you haven't seen a movie and you're telling somebody that it's bad as they're in the middle of watching it.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Nov 9, 2019

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Can't believe this character named Words Expositionman is saying bad writing

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Hey, gang. Can someone tell me if I am going to be missing out on a crucial part of the experience by not buying this game now? I rarely get games the same year they come out, but with the weird multiplayer connection whatever I'm wondering if I should wait.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Everyone has their own personal preferences, but my issues with Death Stranding run a bit deeper than that, because I think what Kojima is trying to achieve thematically is directly betrayed by the game's own wordy presentation. When everything otherworldly and strange is explained immediately thereafter by a voice actor who hasn't internalized the character (because there is none), it becomes a greater structural problem. As I'm playing through Death Stranding I can't help but think about Control, another game to recently convey a horrific extradimensional invasion of America, and really appreciate its comparatively sparse exposition that simply allowed things to be weird.
Not sure if you noticed or not, but this game isn't that game, it is in fact a different game entirely

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Heavy Metal posted:

You have opinions on what he could've done to make the game's narrative work for you. I can dig that, but that's the thing, your suggestions would just make it better for your taste. I dig Control too, but they're very different voices at work.

It's a bit odd actually. It's like you haven't seen a movie and you're telling somebody that it's bad as they're in the middle of watching it.

Dude read what I said, I'm not even saying that the game has bad writing. I'm saying that if it does, then it's still okay to like said thing but you don't have to keep re-contextualizing it for people who don't like it. That's what I find to be condescending. For what it's worth I'm down for all of Kojima's stupid poo poo, I'm waiting for the PC version.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

You're out of your element.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Communist Thoughts posted:

yeah thats true, it was really noticeable going from playing Drak3, which has an insane but entirely followable and satisfying story, to going to Dark Souls which seems to be (intentionally?) very poorly localised so you can't actually parse a lot of what is written

the trike has the soul of the mass effect 1 Mako where you can just keep popping wheelies and boosting and eventually it'll crawl up the face of God Himself

its a good thing, i hope they keep it in even though its obviously stupid, which is how i feel about the game in general

I loaded up myself and the bike with highway building materials and barely made it up the ramp to get out of the distribution center.

It’s weird that the mk2 long distance bike can’t hold anything.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

It's hilarious how a single drop of timefall ages whatever it hits, but Sam is cool with a hood that has the tiniest of brims to protect his face

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Heavy Metal posted:

You're out of your element.

Keep telling me how to think. :allears:

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Bernstrike posted:

Nordic people are socially adjusted so the premise wouldn’t make sense any more.

scandinavian bus stop .jpg

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

credburn posted:

Hey, gang. Can someone tell me if I am going to be missing out on a crucial part of the experience by not buying this game now? I rarely get games the same year they come out, but with the weird multiplayer connection whatever I'm wondering if I should wait.

No. There’s nothing the other players add that you can’t do yourself.

You just might have to take an extra rope or ladder, build a bridge by yourself, etc.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Joe Gillian posted:

Keep telling me how to think. :allears:

I quoted the same movie you did, and it was not bad I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Someone is going to hit 20+ hour mark Kojima story and just loving barge into this thread like OH YEAH THIS GAMES GOT WRITING.