Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Sure would be interesting to see how remake metas would shape up then, like updated versions of the classic generation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

The Bee posted:

If it turns out the best use of Dynamax will be set-up plays, I'm going to laugh my rear end off. I'm imagining all of these spectators getting ready for Kaiju action, only to instead be faced with two sea serpents DBZ powering up at each other until they shrink down to manageable size.

well its a bit weirder than that, odds are dragon dance won't stay as a stat-boosting move upon dynamaxing and will instead become like Max Guard or something. but gyarados in particular can still use the added durability to setup with a bit of forethought - if you can get it in on a turn where the opponent would need to switch you can dragon dance and then dynamax for that huge HP boost on the following turn. since you still have Moxie if you're able to KO your opponent (which is fairly likely because you're a gyarados with +1 attack and a bunch of Dynamax-strength moves) you're still effectively setting up by scoring KOs. and because dynamax pokemon still get items unlike mega pokemon you can give it something like the electric resist berry so it doesn't get threatened by those. by the time the dynamax wears off you're probably at +3 attack and half the opponent's team is dead

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Holy gently caress hahahahahhahah

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

MarcusSA posted:

Holy gently caress hahahahahhahah

I don't get it

red/green colorblind thing?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I don't get it

It's loss

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

thanks i hate it

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
https://www.gonintendo.com/stories/348837-game-freak-explains-why-exp-share-is-baked-into-pokemon-sword-an

Deffo some goons in here working in Game Freak

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

the people who grew up playing pokemon red and gold are now in their mid-20s to early '40s.
video games is, generally, a career of passion; people who go into game development are stereotypically gamers themselves.
given that, i kinda expect that a lot of people working on pokemon now are the ones who also played pokemon as a kid, or still play it now, and also that a fair amount of them are general "internet people" who post on SA, reddit, *chan, etc.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I don't get it

it's a gamer meme where they laugh at abortion

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

it was a miscarriage

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The joke is that it's Penny Arcade ripoff that did a miscarriage arc, although that may be forgotten somewhat.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Blaziken386 posted:

You need a gen 6 or later game inserted/installed to access pokebank, yes

Are there any other major gotchas with poke transporter on early generations that I should be aware of before I buy a whole game and then an annual pass just to move some Pokémon between my games?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Radio Free Kobold posted:

it's a gamer meme where they laugh at abortion

No it's a meme where people laugh at the fact that the Poop and Violence Video Games Webcomic CtrlAltDelete thought it'd be smart or well handled to have a sudden dramatic arc based around a miscarriage. Sorry about your oatmeal brain.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
everybody go watch this video about babies killing each other:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1J3edRvnYU8

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Paul MaudDib posted:

Are there any other major gotchas with poke transporter on early generations that I should be aware of before I buy a whole game and then an annual pass just to move some Pokémon between my games?
seeing as the point of bank is to transfer pokemon up into the 6th generation of games and later, it's not exactly a "gotcha." If you didn't have 6th gen games and bank still let you port in gen 1/2/5 pokemon into it via transporter, people would throw a poo poo fit over their pokemon being stuck in bank.

seeing as pokemon Home won't be out until 2020, and probably won't immediately have SwSh capabilities either, you don't actually need to transport anything into it now, do you.
e:
it's super cool and not at all frustrating how they changed "toggleable option" to "needing to gently caress around with menus and having to tediously rotate out pokemon one at a time"

no, no, it's cool, it's not at all going to stamp out what remaining challenge the series had

Blaziken386 fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Nov 9, 2019

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Neo_Crimson posted:

Well that was delightful.

Mime Jr. running behind everyone and copying what they're doing is the best part imo. :allears:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I see it now

Lot more clear when on mobile for some reason

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i dont know what the problem is with exp share being toggleable. like yeah most people have it on but what does it hurt to let people turn it off.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Endorph posted:

i dont know what the problem is with exp share being toggleable. like yeah most people have it on but what does it hurt to let people turn it off.

Theoretically the game can be balanced for it being on and gamefreak might want to show that off.

I'm not saying it is balanced for it, but if it is, I see gamefreak's logic.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Paul MaudDib posted:

Are you playing the Gen 1 or 2 game on the DS Virtual Console? You can use that with the Poketransporter, and get those Pokémon on your later generation games with their Hidden Abilities.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Endorph posted:

maybe they wanted to streamline things even more, or maybe they figured people didn't actually care, or maybe they wanted it to be even MORE like let's go, or maybe they didn't want to risk little timmy accidentally turning it off and losing a bossfight causing them to lose a potential lifelong fan, who the gently caress knows

it's dumb. I'll defend dexit, because there's a lot of pokemon and it might make the meta actually change between games, even if it's a bitter pill to swallow.
but the exp share thing is lovely

(they ARE aware that nuzlocke is, like, a big thing, right? why would they kneecap part of that.)

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
The cutting is good because it makes the game more balanced and encourages the use of the new pokemon

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Blaziken386 posted:

maybe they wanted to streamline things even more, or maybe they figured people didn't actually care, or maybe they wanted it to be even MORE like let's go, or maybe they didn't want to risk little timmy accidentally turning it off and losing a bossfight causing them to lose a potential lifelong fan, who the gently caress knows

it's dumb. I'll defend dexit, because there's a lot of pokemon and it might make the meta actually change between games, even if it's a bitter pill to swallow.
but the exp share thing is lovely

(they ARE aware that nuzlocke is, like, a big thing, right? why would they kneecap part of that.)

"big"

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Metapod posted:

The cutting is good because it makes the game more balanced and encourages the use of the new pokemon

It won't be more 'balanced' it'll just gravitate toward a new meta set of like 10 pokemon you pick from. All this has happened before and all this will happen again.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
You've never had to only use a select meta in pokemon unless you were doing it competitively

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

No it's a meme where people laugh at the fact that the Poop and Violence Video Games Webcomic CtrlAltDelete thought it'd be smart or well handled to have a sudden dramatic arc based around a miscarriage. Sorry about your oatmeal brain.

more specifically the author also said that the miscarriage is harder on the father than the mother and basically resented his girlfriend for having a miscarriage in the first place

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

it's big enough that even people who don't play that way know exactly what it is by name, ya contrary jackass

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Neo_Crimson posted:

His other two Pokemon battle royal videos are great.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

I can guarantee you that Gamefreak absolutely does not know what a Nuzlocke is, or anything non-Japanese players do.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

What if Galar science was the standard for the entire pokeverse?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

golden bubble posted:

Cramaldo owns

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Blaziken386 posted:

it's big enough that even people who don't play that way know exactly what it is by name, ya contrary jackass

If this was a different game I'd be with you but it's pokémon and I'd genuinely be shocked if 5 percent of the playerbase knew what it was.

You could counter that 5 percent of poképlayers is still a shitload of precious yen and you'd prolly be right, so idk.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

golden bubble posted:

WHAT HAS SCIENCE WROUGHT????

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
the exp share thing is dumb, dont be a piss

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
it's dumb because pokemon in the pc should also get exp

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

golden bubble posted:

The bottom left one isn’t that different from one of the actual Galar fossils

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It won't be more 'balanced' it'll just gravitate toward a new meta set of like 10 pokemon you pick from. All this has happened before and all this will happen again.

for sure, though there's something to be said for novelty and i think having a rotation like a tcg is an interesting idea. there's always going to be a meta (though "like 10 pokemon" is pretty disingenuous) but having shake-ups gives each meta a unique flavor.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Countblanc posted:

for sure, though there's something to be said for novelty and i think having a rotation like a tcg is an interesting idea. there's always going to be a meta (though "like 10 pokemon" is pretty disingenuous) but having shake-ups gives each meta a unique flavor.

No I agree but I was using an exaggeration about it because that the game is going to be more 'balanced' because you cut out a bunch of legendaries isn't really balancing. You're still gonna get a lot of pokemon that just are not used in comp at all and you're gonna get a handful that are The Core.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I sure hope the game is balanced around EXP Share properly because when I played through Y with it on it was piss easy and I was 5-10 levels above everything at all times

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Countblanc posted:

the exp share thing is dumb, dont be a piss

I mean to be fair Pokemon is about the only RPG I've ever heard where people complain about the entire party getting EXP. Even in games where combat determines stat growth and such people prefer to have it on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

I sure hope the game is balanced around EXP Share properly because when I played through Y with it on it was piss easy and I was 5-10 levels above everything at all times

The game will be piss easy either way. It is a game for actual babies.

You will probably also be over leveled.