Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

FoldableHuman posted:

Sure, but as a counterpoint to highlight the often futility of doing things I want you to try and imagine a scenario in which any response ever made Sexpig even remotely happy.

Try to imagine anything more fragile than a liberal youtuber's ego.

Acute Grill fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Nov 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Acute Grill posted:

Try to imagine anything more fragile than a liberal yoituber's ego.

My sanity?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

FoldableHuman posted:

Sure, but as a counterpoint to highlight the often futility of doing things I want you to try and imagine a scenario in which any response ever made Sexpig even remotely happy.

Ah, taking the Renegade route this playthrough I see

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

Acute Grill posted:

Try to imagine anything more fragile than a liberal yoituber's ego.

This is just Turkeesian's "You're only mad at her because you care too much." hot take but inverted/

Foldy made a strawman argument. Big woop. It's the kind the thing that happens just as much if more from glancing and not caring than ego.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Rockit posted:

This is just Turkeesian's "You're only mad at her because you care too much." hot take but inverted/

Foldy made a strawman argument. Big woop. It's the kind the thing that happens just as much if more from glancing and not caring than ego.

...what?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Rockit posted:

foldy

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

"You only misinterpret them because you take minor things as an major injury to you personally." is a dumb take to apply to anyone who gets someone else's position wrong.

Even if the wrong take is an big exaggeration.
Sometimes people can just read incorrectly without being upset over it.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

FoldableHuman posted:

Ohhhh, I get it now! FoldableHuman! Because of how easily you can shove your head up your rear end!

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Nov 10, 2019

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

I'm a lazy bum who uses nicknames when it's quicker to type. Sue me.
You'd prefer if i said Dan or something?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Rockit posted:

Edit: poo poo if i read the above posts all the way i wouldn't have posted this.

Mea culpa

Hopefully you again, soon.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Rockit posted:

"You only misinterpret them because you take minor things as an major injury to you personally." is a dumb take to apply to anyone who gets someone else's position wrong.

...what?

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Hopefully you again, soon.

If criticizing people's hot takes isn't allowed what are we doing?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Rockit posted:

I genuinely have no clue what you're trying to say

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Rockit posted:

If criticizing people's hot takes isn't allowed what are we doing?

Stop throwing down for your intense parasocial connections in this thread you weirdo, they can embarrass themselves just fine without you

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

Someone can have a stupid understanding of someone's position without being a "fragile liberal youtuber ego." thing.

It's pretty much the same logic as declaring Contra's critics being wrong out of being "Too emotionally invested".

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Rockit posted:

Someone can have a stupid understanding of someone's position without being a "fragile liberal youtuber ego." thing.

It's pretty much the same logic as declaring Contra's critics being wrong out of being "Too emotionally invested".

I think the guy who responded to 'I'd like some accountability for platforming and supporting a massive bigot who supports people who are supportive of violence against the community' with 'log off' just doesn't care, my dude.

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

Nuns with Guns posted:

Stop throwing down for your intense parasocial connections in this thread you weirdo, they can embarrass themselves just fine without you

What if i don't particularly are how that fool looks but think others are also acting like fools?

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

sexpig by night posted:

what the gently caress

What? You're a hostile, implacable rear end in a top hat with two pages of probations and bans to show for it.

It's not hard to see that literally nothing anyone said about the issue would make you remotely satisfied, because there's always some other angle you can point to as the reason why they're compromised, disingenuous, or self-serving; some quirk of wording or tone or timing you could pull out as evidence that they didn't really mean it, waited too long, weren't harsh enough, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera. Everything everyone does is either too little or too late.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Rockit posted:

What if i don't particularly are how that fool looks but think others are also acting like fools?

...sorry is this some sphinx riddle? I really can't parse what you're saying at all now

FoldableHuman posted:

What? You're a hostile, implacable rear end in a top hat with two pages of probations and bans to show for it.

It's not hard to see that literally nothing anyone said about the issue would make you remotely satisfied, because there's always some other angle you can point to as the reason why they're compromised, disingenuous, or self-serving; some quirk of wording or tone or timing you could pull out as evidence that they didn't really mean it, waited too long, weren't harsh enough, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera. Everything everyone does is either too little or too late.

The responses have all sucked so there's really no reason to hypothesize about a world where you or your friends have managed to handle this well. And like, up until this last turn I was still mostly positive about Contra but this whole affair was just shameful, so don't pretend that people can't have valid reasons to distrust you or feel hurt after you've created a brand around being a personable public face.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Nov 10, 2019

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

FoldableHuman posted:

Hard disagree. Someone's history of trouble doesn't mean they're the kind of trouble that's "100% unreasonable"

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I cannot unravel this argument at loving all

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Rockit posted:

...what?

Also since you and foldable are clearly the same account please start coordinating.

Bug Squash posted:

This.

I'm not sure it's about Philosophy Tube, but if it is, my view is that I'm pretty content with what Olly has said, and he seems a solid chap.

Yeah, if you think non-binary people's right to exist is worth less than Ollie's desperate Broadway auditions he's the best.

Acute Grill fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Nov 10, 2019

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

FoldableHuman posted:

gently caress off dude, literally all I wanted was some actual acknowledgement that some people's ~problematic friend~ actively supports people who hurt people like me and has a history of it, and a statement that isn't cushioned by five layers of 'by saying contra did a lovely thing this is gamergate for the left' or 'check out my new video coming up' promo poo poo or whatever, just someone speaking like an actual human being with empathy.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

IronicDongz posted:

I cannot unravel this argument at loving all

This.

I'm not sure it's about Philosophy Tube, but if it is, my view is that I'm pretty content with what Olly has said, and he seems a solid chap.

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

Acute Grill posted:

...what?

Also since you and foldable are clearly the same account please start coordinating.

LOL what a loving dumbass i would be to take the L on a puppet but still argue my case on a main account.

That's a good one my dude.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Rockit posted:

LOL what a loving dumbass i would be to take the L on a puppet but still argue my case on a main account.

That's a good one my dude.

The comedy here is that you think you aren't the dumb rear end lmfao

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

foldy…

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

Bug Squash posted:

This.

*Foldable misunderstands someone*

"Jesus Christ how could you do that?"

"U mad Lib YouTuber?"

I mean Fold's misunderstanding is dumb and it sucks but apparently i can't feel that people are acting silly to it without wanting to be friends with him.

Granted that doesn't change the fact that my writing on this is a mess and for that mea cupla.

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

watho posted:

foldy…

The fact i used a short name means i just want to become BFF with him. /s

Or it could be that it's poo poo spelling in which case ok i'm a dumbass. OOF

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Acute Grill posted:

Yeah, if you think non-binary people's right to exist is worth less than Ollie's desperate Broadway auditions he's the best.
I think you're tilting at windmills.

And the musical numbers and sax solos are fantastic.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Rockit posted:

The fact i used a short name means i just want to become BFF with him. /s

Or it could be that it's poo poo spelling in which case ok i'm a dumbass. OOF

what are you on about? i was expressing my disappointment at dan’s posts i didn’t event read yours

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
What's a nice way of asking literally everyone to shut up without delegitimizing peoples complaints about Olly et al?

I'm kinda exhausted by this whole thing, on the one hand its hard to cut ties with a friend and colleague especially when it could be seen as siding with a literal twitter mob on the other hand HBomb pretty much just tweeted 'gently caress that guy' 'I support non-binary people' and I don't see him getting a lot of flack? This feels like it could have been handled better. then on the third hand I don't personally believe that youtubers and public figures in general should need loving pr departments can we start taking peoples arguments in good faith rather than assuming they're Non-Binary hating bigots for not instantly coming back with an acceptable apology?

It's right that people are mad but it feels like nothing very helpful is happening here.

Mr Phillby fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Nov 10, 2019

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

watho posted:

what are you on about? i was expressing my disappointment at dan’s posts i didn’t event read yours

Ah, Gothcha. My bad.

Posts uptheard gave me poo poo for using that nickname and i got that mixed up with ones accusing me of being parasocial with him.

It is a shame i'd grant but it happens.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Mr Phillby posted:

What's a nice way of asking literally everyone to shut up without delegitimizing peoples complaints about Olly et al?

I'm kinda exhausted by this whole thing, on the one hand its hard to cut ties with a friend and colleague especially when it could be seen as siding with a literal twitter mob on the other hand HBomb pretty much just tweeted 'gently caress that guy' 'I support non-binary people' and I don't see him getting a lot of flack? This feels like it could have been handled better. then on the third hand I don't personally believe that youtubers and public figures in general should need loving pr departments can we start taking peoples arguments in good faith rather than assuming they're Non-Binary hating bigots for not instantly coming back with an acceptable apology?

It's right that people are mad but it feels like nothing very helpful is happening here.

:same:

I posted the livestream here because I felt that Olly should have a chance to give his perspective on the situation and that people could use that to inform how they interpret Olly's response to it. Now obliviously that all depends on whether you consider him to be acting in good faith. I personally do but I won't tell people who don't that they are wrong (I thought that people saying that Natalie wasn't acting in good faith before her last video came out were overblowing things and welp). I thought the discussion on it was going pretty well but at this point it's clearly gone off the rails and I regret reopening the can of worms.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
I'd second that delegitimizing the complaints as a hive mind was weird and kind of fragile, even if it's understandable. I do understand the stress, and if Olly's going to say that it was handled less than ideally because he was flustered, then that's fine and human. But there was this assumption everywhere that "the mob" wanted Natalie's friends to self-flagellate on stream, but I'd guess at least 95% just wanted a little acknowledgment. That's what all the replies seemed to say. Especially in Olly's case, where most of the replies were just people dropping "I smell smoke" references.

This was Maggie Mae Fish's response, and it was even to one of the rarer legitimate "Your silence is deafening, coward!" people.

https://twitter.com/MaggieMaeFish/status/1184899294156902400

For extra clarity on the livestream she added something like, "Natalie's a sweetheart and I really like her, but yeah...it sucks."

And, yeah, that seems fine, genuine and about right. It seemed like a fine answer that most people would have been chill with. The angry asker apologized for being rude even. It pretty much matches my feeling from when my own friends have kind of hosed up. It sucks but they're my friend and I want to be charitable, and I don't know what else to say. You saw how people were thrilled when HBomb just posted the flag. Even after he burned some of that goodwill backing the other apologies, he's noticeably absent in the recaps compared to Olly or Lindsay. I really think the mob would have been fine with the simplest empathy. Sure, a few assholes would have still been assholes, but they probably would have found something else to be assholes about. That's just the larger problem of social media.

As a separate, very genuine question...since I don't use Twitter much, I'm a little confused on how bad these reply storms are. My only knowledge of Twitter fame comes from Toilet Penis Block Party, but they seem to say that switching notifications to only people who you follow and muting a hot thread pretty much takes care of it. I understand it's an argument as to why they're not "engaging" with the replies, but I wasn't sure how much it bit into harassment.

Parakeet vs. Phone fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Nov 10, 2019

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

FoldableHuman posted:

All anyone embroiled in this mess had to say was "gently caress Buck Angel, he's a terrible person" and "ContraPoints either shouldn't have platformed him at all, or should apologize for doing so" and the only people that wouldn't be happy would be truscum. I guarantee everyone else would have been happy with those two very easy to say, very true statements. Hbomb only did the first one, days after it all went down, and even then everyone was happy with him. gently caress it, I'm a lurker, I don't post, I can't come up with an end for this post, but it's bullshit that you're pushing the line that this, of all audiences, was unpleasable.

EDIT: Hell, they wouldn't even have to say it with the severity that I put it. That Maggie Mae Fish response that came up while I was typing? That's good. That's enough, that's all anyone wanted from everyone.

Oblivion4568238 fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Nov 10, 2019

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
while the observation "geez it seems like impossible to please every single person on twitter and social media" is valid to a degree, it's pretty goddamn self-serving to follow that up with "and that's why i've decided to do literally nothing"

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Mr Phillby posted:

There isn't a way, no, and people are going to express their disappointment in a number of ways every time it comes up. There's not a tidy answer to this besides "be affluent enough to afford ways to insulate yourself from the shittiest parts of the internet" or "don't be a public figure on the internet." The unfortunate reality is that the people whose voices need to be added to online discourse are the people most vulnerable when they're exposed to being a public figure on the internet.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Acute Grill posted:

Try to imagine anything more fragile than a liberal youtuber's ego.
a conservative youtuber's ego

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

A big flaming stink posted:

while the observation "geez it seems like impossible to please every single person on twitter and social media" is valid to a degree, it's pretty goddamn self-serving to follow that up with "and that's why i've decided to do literally nothing"

yea if you wanna talk about how there actually is no 'perfect' apology and even removing the bad faith elements people are hurt in different ways and different levels so no apology can please everyone, that's fine and a very valid topic.

Using it as a cover for 'so I won't do poo poo' is a bitch move.