Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Elendil004 posted:

So I don't know if this is useful at all...but you can throw gator skins on the train (you stole) and run them into Saint Denis fora heft profit. I only tried with one but with a posse you could really industrialize it. I bet there are better loops from train-adjacent hunting grounds to sell places/camps.

My immediate thought for this was bison skins and whitetailed buck carcasses but it looks like getting large skins/carcasses on the online cargo train variant is a no go without some real tricky poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Can you get legendary skins back? Game crashed for the Nth time and when I got back in the bear skin was gone.

This port is pathetically bad.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008
I've been playing for the past month on PS4 when I found a used copy; great game but I'm pretty much right at the end of Chapter 6 and decided to start finding and finishing as much stuff as I can. I finally upgraded all my satchel kits and unlocked the last recipe and found I need... one more perfect cougar pelt.

Hunting has been an absolute chore for me. The Legendary animals are easy enough, and fishing is just be in the right state and use the right bait, but I am tired of running around Annesburg and Roanoke Ridge for an hour hoping a perfect cougar spawns and I can kill it with a clean shot. I've thrown potent bait out 3 times (twice on cougar drawings on my map) and every time nothing comes for it ever. I was hoping it would increase spawn chances in the area or something but apparently not; if there's a pristine cougar or bear around my horse is going to tell me before I see it.

So my question is this: is there some way or mechanic to hunt specific creatures with increased chances that the game doesn't tell you/I missed or does it really just come down to luck and I should keep running around until it eventually happens? The game practically throws wolves and deer and elk and rabbits at you but when it comes to some of these animals it's a nightmare. I had to look up where to get iguanas and panthers, for example.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I'm guessing in chapter 2 I'm gonna have to head into the areas where I'm wanted dead or alive to progress the story but how likely am I to get ganked on the way there?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Abandoned Toaster posted:

I've been playing for the past month on PS4 when I found a used copy; great game but I'm pretty much right at the end of Chapter 6 and decided to start finding and finishing as much stuff as I can. I finally upgraded all my satchel kits and unlocked the last recipe and found I need... one more perfect cougar pelt.

Hunting has been an absolute chore for me. The Legendary animals are easy enough, and fishing is just be in the right state and use the right bait, but I am tired of running around Annesburg and Roanoke Ridge for an hour hoping a perfect cougar spawns and I can kill it with a clean shot. I've thrown potent bait out 3 times (twice on cougar drawings on my map) and every time nothing comes for it ever. I was hoping it would increase spawn chances in the area or something but apparently not; if there's a pristine cougar or bear around my horse is going to tell me before I see it.

So my question is this: is there some way or mechanic to hunt specific creatures with increased chances that the game doesn't tell you/I missed or does it really just come down to luck and I should keep running around until it eventually happens? The game practically throws wolves and deer and elk and rabbits at you but when it comes to some of these animals it's a nightmare. I had to look up where to get iguanas and panthers, for example.

nah it's annoying as hell

I had luck finding cougars just north of lake owanjila on the main road but it was a loving slog

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Elendil004 posted:

So I don't know if this is useful at all...but you can throw gator skins on the train (you stole) and run them into Saint Denis fora heft profit. I only tried with one but with a posse you could really industrialize it. I bet there are better loops from train-adjacent hunting grounds to sell places/camps.

Note about skins:

They're not worth the effort in Online when you get the trading business set up, you want whole unskinned carcasses. They're good money at the butcher though, think a perfect gator sells for $4. Baby gator carcasses however can be turned in to Cripps at your camp.

Moose pelts are not worth the effort and only sell for $3.50, which is drat stupid when they only spawn way up in the north east and the nearest butcher is in Saint Denis.

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

I'm guessing in chapter 2 I'm gonna have to head into the areas where I'm wanted dead or alive to progress the story but how likely am I to get ganked on the way there?

It'll open up later on, if you try going west too early you'll get one shotted by invisible snipers and constantly have cops all over you :argh:

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

I found cougars somewhat regularly by the trapper west of strawberry in that path or in the first literally right by him.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

ThomasPaine posted:

nah it's annoying as hell

I had luck finding cougars just north of lake owanjila on the main road but it was a loving slog

I guess I can try my luck there. I probably wouldn't be so mad about this if it weren't the fifth time I had to get one (two for my chest upgrade and two for the trapper, not to mention numerous others that were only good or I botched the kill).

Capn Beeb posted:

It'll open up later on, if you try going west too early you'll get one shotted by invisible snipers and constantly have cops all over you :argh:

I found that out when I was hunting a beaver on the Great Montana River and it died on the forbidden bank. The law were on my rear end and gunned me down in 10 seconds when I ran over to get the pelt. :haw:

Abandoned Toaster fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Nov 10, 2019

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Capn Beeb posted:

Thanks for that it's what I sorta expected tbh.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"

The game practically throws wolves and deer and elk and rabbits at you but when it comes to some of these animals it's a nightmare. I had to look up where to get iguanas and panthers, for example.

Are you telling me that hunting cougar and panther is harder than hunting for rabbits? This loving game! :argh:

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

Simiain posted:

Are you telling me that hunting cougar and panther is harder than hunting for rabbits? This loving game! :argh:

Listen, trying to hunt the Legendary Black-Tailed Jackrabbit changes a man. :colbert:

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

pro starcraft loser posted:

Can you get legendary skins back? Game crashed for the Nth time and when I got back in the bear skin was gone.

This port is pathetically bad.

You can't get the pelt again, but if a legendary pelt becomes lost for any reason the game is supposed to add it to the trapper's crafting materials as if you sold it to him, but you lose out on the money you would've earned.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

There’s an early mission that starts just near Blackwater, though not inside the dead or alive wanted zone. Make sure you stick to the coast and stay off the main roads to get there.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
Can we talk about who the gently caress is funding these gigantic posses for petty criminals in Online Bounty Hunter missions? A woman who poisoned her husband has like ten dudes ready to loving RIDE OR DIE with her, or like a guy who robbed a stagecoach also has ten dudes and a god drat maxim gun to put on one of them. Or my favorite, the clown car huts on top of the frozen snow covered mountains in the north with like twenty loving criminals in two huts somehow living contentedly just waiting for my rear end to spend ten minutes navigating up there only to die and be spawned in a place where I have no choice but to fall to my death because there's no way back up or even safely back down.

I wish every bounty was like those rare, precious jewels where you investigate clues and follow trails to figure out where your target went. I know some of you would be bored by that poo poo, but for a game that's so lauded for immersiveness and has thousands of dumb rear end little fiddly systems in place to put your right in the mud soaked boots of a cowboy can we PLEASE have some drat sense of proportion and maybe think that the pervert who has a bounty for touching women in a saloon maybe might not have seventeen guys who are all totally cool hanging out with him? All of whom will take bullets for him and are completely fine with him just riding forward and ditching all of them.

And then I guess I'm just shooting flares constantly or whatever because everyone from Tumbleweed to Saint Denis seems to know I have some rear end in a top hat strapped to my horse and will ride like Terminators to make every single last bounty a thrilling adventure of running and gunning and guns a blazin' and ISN'T THIS SO FUN TO HAVE TO DO THIS LITERALLY EVERY TIME???? FOR FIFTEEN DOLLARS!!!!!!

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

nobody likes a rotten pumbo
counterpoint: yee-haw

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
God I forgot how annoying it was to get so many drat common 3 star pelts for the satchels. I’m at least back in the lasso n stab hunting groove though.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am enjoying Red Dead Online way more on PC than I did on Xbox. The faster load times, and double the frame rate, makes the experience so much smoother. Plus I have changed up my tactics with PvP, I use a knife only. I actually get a lot of kills with this method, plus it has the added benefit of making people very angry.

Orv
May 4, 2011

I said come in! posted:

I am enjoying Red Dead Online way more on PC than I did on Xbox. The faster load times, and double the frame rate, makes the experience so much smoother. Plus I have changed up my tactics with PvP, I use a knife only. I actually get a lot of kills with this method, plus it has the added benefit of making people very angry.

We had a posse v posse scuffle go on so long that most of the participants were reduced to rushing each other with knives. The effectiveness - and the psychotic laughter - was a little worrying.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Sonel posted:

Luckily it isn't gone forever. The trapper and fence will have the parts from a legendary animal for crafting you just won't get the money.

Yeah, tip said something about that, but I don't see it in the parts lists. Does it only pop on the first one you hit after the hunt/death?

In other mostly non-spoiler gameplay news: gently caress Billy Midnight, and gently caress Nite Folk, for entirely different reasons. Got a free gun for sucking on some dude - too bad all the 2nd tier and above were still locked. Black Belle's encounter was great, glad I didn't get her gun.

This drat game is gonna take me *forever*.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

Ygolonac posted:

In other mostly non-spoiler gameplay news: gently caress Billy Midnight, and gently caress Nite Folk, for entirely different reasons. Got a free gun for sucking on some dude - too bad all the 2nd tier and above were still locked. Black Belle's encounter was great, glad I didn't get her gun.

I restarted that dang quest so many times before I found out that Belle is the only one who doesn't fight you and everyone else dies even though I was making a point to shoot the gun out of their hands each time (and dying multiple times before succeeding). Reminds me of Deus Ex: Human Revolution and the whole pacifist run problem with bosses before they added non-lethal wins. :smith:

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
seriously though if someone talks poo poo to you after you press the Greet button x3 times and they attack you, it shouldn't be dishonorable to run their pockets

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Sometimes, a man just needs to get his Rock off.
Are there any players looking to group up for relatively chill poo poo in online for PC? I'm mostly hunting and collecting, but having someone else around to shoot the poo poo with or just otherwise help out with anything combat related would be cool. I'm Deiterbomber on the social club.

...I searched and didn't see a separate thread, so forgive me if this isn't the place for social invites.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
I would love to, but my RDR:O playtime varies between 30 seconds after loading in to around an hour. If it weren't so super addicting I'd already shelved it until a few patches are released, but I don't see me grouping up for any kind of semi-organized play until then. :smith:

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I enjoy doing chill poo poo. I think I'm at max white hat mostly because I don't run around psychotically knifing every player and npc in every town.

Also, wait, you can sell whole carcasses to the butcher and donate them to Cripps? I've been skinning everything I kill because I thought that was the only way to make it all sellable.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Ofaloaf posted:

I enjoy doing chill poo poo. I think I'm at max white hat mostly because I don't run around psychotically knifing every player and npc in every town.

Also, wait, you can sell whole carcasses to the butcher and donate them to Cripps? I've been skinning everything I kill because I thought that was the only way to make it all sellable.

Butchers in towns will take skinned carcasses, Cripps will only take animals if they're intact.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
Apparently there's a fix for the launcher out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-L38QESnP-E

Just in case anyone's struggling.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The contextual and dynamic depth to the melee in this game is loving insane.

I had a guy just randomly grab me from behind and hold a gun to my head in Valentine's inn (player) and when the break out timer finished I swapped to my knife and left clicked expecting to have some kind of lengthy back and forth GTAV bullshit but I just drove it into his palate and dropped him before his friend shotgunned me. Another time I bulled a guy over and failed to get the stab prompt in time while I was on top of him and when he pushed me off my LMB pulled out my pistol and hip fired it into his head. Yet another time a friend and I were loving around on the porch of a store in Blackwater and things suddenly escalated when we went from trading punches to me just slamming him up against the post behind him and choking him out.

And I've seen a shitton of other players getting into close range scraps that not just look good but also seem like they played out properly based on what everyone was trying to do. There's definitely some level of like, LMB now will pull out a revolver but LMB now will go for a knife blow and I'd love to learn just how that works but I'm mostly just impressed that when two players go at it it looks good and nearly scripted instead of the hamfisted lock in melee of so many other games.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Orv posted:

The contextual and dynamic depth to the melee in this game is loving insane.

I had a guy just randomly grab me from behind and hold a gun to my head in Valentine's inn (player) and when the break out timer finished I swapped to my knife and left clicked expecting to have some kind of lengthy back and forth GTAV bullshit but I just drove it into his palate and dropped him before his friend shotgunned me. Another time I bulled a guy over and failed to get the stab prompt in time while I was on top of him and when he pushed me off my LMB pulled out my pistol and hip fired it into his head. Yet another time a friend and I were loving around on the porch of a store in Blackwater and things suddenly escalated when we went from trading punches to me just slamming him up against the post behind him and choking him out.

And I've seen a shitton of other players getting into close range scraps that not just look good but also seem like they played out properly based on what everyone was trying to do. There's definitely some level of like, LMB now will pull out a revolver but LMB now will go for a knife blow and I'd love to learn just how that works but I'm mostly just impressed that when two players go at it it looks good and nearly scripted instead of the hamfisted lock in melee of so many other games.

yes but the meta quickly becomes "bullet meet brain" and who can do it fastest which is a shame really because you're right, brawling is great.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Demitri Omni posted:

Are there any players looking to group up for relatively chill poo poo in online for PC? I'm mostly hunting and collecting, but having someone else around to shoot the poo poo with or just otherwise help out with anything combat related would be cool. I'm Deiterbomber on the social club.

...I searched and didn't see a separate thread, so forgive me if this isn't the place for social invites.

Come join us on the Discord. We've got a good number of folks from various regions that you should have no problem finding people to posse with. https://discord.gg/HBgmBeJ

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Transmogrifier posted:

Come join us on the Discord. We've got a good number of folks from various regions that you should have no problem finding people to posse with. https://discord.gg/HBgmBeJ

Yes. Join us we're pretty chill. Missions, stranger stuff, hunting and reading etc

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Elendil004 posted:

Yes. Join us we're pretty chill. Missions, stranger stuff, hunting and reading etc

Running into trees, rocks, killing strangers you need for missions, that sort of thing.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Transmogrifier posted:

Running into trees, rocks, killing strangers you need for missions, that sort of thing.

Occasionally we need to fill our murder boners and sacrifice cops to the train.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Elendil004 posted:

Occasionally we need to fill our murder boners and sacrifice cops to the train.

Gotta make fishing exciting!

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005
Don't take me for an ordinary man

"Throughout the year, Rockstar Games will continue to support both Red Dead Online and Grand Theft Auto Online with many more updates in order to drive engagement and player growth," Zelnick concluded.

"We remain as excited as ever about the long-term opportunity for Red Dead Online to be meaningful driver of recurrent consumer spending."

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
So, I can't play the game anymore since tonight. It always crashes when it's done loading. I had that problem before when I played around with graphic options, but worst case: I deleted the systems.xml in the Documents\Rockstar Games\Red Dead Redemption 2\Settings and it started up with the vanilla settings again. But now it also crashes with those, and in safe mode, and after re-installing. Guess now I really have to wait for the next patch, cause I already spend far too many hours in this for a refund :smith:

e:
deleting all the files in the settings directory did it. :shrug:

Feindfeuer fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Nov 10, 2019

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
important for m+kb players: double tap TAB to do a fun lil twirl when holstering your pistol

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Super Foul Egg posted:

"Throughout the year, Rockstar Games will continue to support both Red Dead Online and Grand Theft Auto Online with many more updates in order to drive engagement and player growth," Zelnick concluded.

"We remain as excited as ever about the long-term opportunity for Red Dead Online to be meaningful driver of recurrent consumer spending."

i've seen like 3 people in the same area so far while aimlessly wandering for half an hour in online free roam

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Question about trader deliveries: do they show up as blips or have any type of alert to other players (assholes) that they can gently caress with your shipment? It seems easy enough to avoid other players, so I may try some long distance deliveries unless the game specifically makes the cart a big target.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Hakarne posted:

Question about trader deliveries: do they show up as blips or have any type of alert to other players (assholes) that they can gently caress with your shipment? It seems easy enough to avoid other players, so I may try some long distance deliveries unless the game specifically makes the cart a big target.

Yeah they do. I was playing last night and got a notification that I could now attack someone or something along those lines, I didn't get a chance to read the message, and I saw a red blip on my radar. I chased after him to see what the deal was and it was a person doing a delivery. I decided to leave him alone because I'm cool like that though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

The game crash if it lose internet connection/connection with the server for more then 10 second. No warning or anything.