Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

socialsecurity posted:

They kept talking about money, but what even is their currency and who issues it. He'll have we ever seen a store or any sort of commerce. Perhaps I am overthinking this children's show.

Crimson Waste, probably, at least, but yeah, that's a good question

This was a good season and Scorpia is great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
There probably is an actual economy that we, who follow primarily the upper echelon of government, don't get to see. Just because the princesses and commanders of the horde don't need money doesn't mean that the peasants and rank and file don't.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Senerio posted:

There probably is an actual economy that we, who follow primarily the upper echelon of government, don't get to see. Just because the princesses and commanders of the horde don't need money doesn't mean that the peasants and rank and file don't.

Flower Girl can magically generate food and building material and herbs and spices! Bright Moon can teleport stuff! Robots with functionally infinite energy exist! Magic! I just don't see how money would even form in such a society.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
How else will you keep the peasants in line? Money was invented to fund soldiers and there is a war going on. The people making the money to pay the soldiers don't need money and that's the only class we see.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Madurai posted:

Was there a real Flutterina that DT was copying, or was she a character they invented solely for the purposes of being a mole?

Logically Flutterina should've been a real person otherwise the villager would've pointed out that she was a stranger, but DT would've needed to guarantee the original never re-appeared, so for the purposes of the show, probably a character they invented.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Moon Slayer posted:

I assumed Glimmer just paid them.

Double Trouble is a merc through and through. It was clearly all business with them when they were talking with Catra. They just want to ~act~ and whoever lets them do that, they're for it. Catra tried to mix in some friendship and she was rebuffed pretty hard by DT. Doesn't surprise me that they would switch sides to either save their own skin or profit (or both).

edit: fixed my mistakes, apologies

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Nov 8, 2019

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Yeah Double Trouble rules

Senerio fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Nov 8, 2019

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Damnit, sorry! :doh: I was even thinking when watching the season "Oh, it's nice that even the bad guys don't misgender them."

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Logically Flutterina should've been a real person otherwise the villager would've pointed out that she was a stranger, but DT would've needed to guarantee the original never re-appeared, so for the purposes of the show, probably a character they invented.

It would be sort of off-tone for the horrified villagers to discover a ten-year-old's corpse stashed somewhere, yeah.

VA trivia: the village head of the butterfly people was the same actor as Governor Price, from SW Rebels.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
If you don't want to dwell on DT killing some kid and leaving them in a ditch, you can just say that during times of displacement (like war) having refuges and people in flux is common. Flutterina? Yeah, she came here last week fleeing the Horde. She must have gotten separated from her people.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Has the show in-universe ever explored what in the world "For the honor of Greyskull!" means?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Madurai posted:

It would be sort of off-tone for the horrified villagers to discover a ten-year-old's corpse stashed somewhere, yeah.

VA trivia: the village head of the butterfly people was the same actor as Governor Price, from SW Rebels.

Mary Elizabeth McGlynn is also the voice director of the series too.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Has the show in-universe ever explored what in the world "For the honor of Greyskull!" means?

Other than Adora lampshading it in the pilot, no.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Nope, same as they've never expanded on Eternia either. I'm guessing it'll be the First Ones origin planet and palace if it's made into anything other than He-Man callbacks.I

As for money, even in (especially in) a tightly controlled space like Horde territory there's gonna be a black market for food that doesn't come in bar-shape.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
The way to Horde is structured, I'd be shocked if they allowed money. A black market based on barter, sure. But recruits get X ration and live in Y place, force commanders get A ration and live in B place, etc. from a central command.

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!

Madurai posted:

Was there a real Flutterina that DT was copying, or was she a character they invented solely for the purposes of being a mole?

I’m pretty sure DT had a line about how they created Flutterina to be cute and pink to be the perfect persona to fool the Princesses. The impression I got was that “Flutterina” was made up whole cloth by DT.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Flower Girl can magically generate food and building material and herbs and spices! Bright Moon can teleport stuff! Robots with functionally infinite energy exist! Magic! I just don't see how money would even form in such a society.

Star Trek has money, and conveniently answers most of these questions. In a post-scarcity society, money is used for the trade of luxuries, and serves as a useful fallback for when the tech that keeps you post-scarcity goes on the blink.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
the twin currencies of etheria are friendship and survival. double trouble knows they're a utility player and wants to be on the winning side. when the tide changes, they adjust.

King of Foolians posted:

I’m pretty sure DT had a line about how they created Flutterina to be cute and pink to be the perfect persona to fool the Princesses. The impression I got was that “Flutterina” was made up whole cloth by DT.

also seems like maybe these kingdoms aren't as tight-knit as the princess alliance and don't know their neighbors all that well, allowing for this point with which i agree

kefkafloyd posted:

I was even thinking when watching the season "Oh, it's nice that even the bad guys don't misgender them."

this show is doing so much right but this was the most heart-warming touch. misgendering is weaponized and suffered in silence so often.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I really like how expressive Hordak was this season and how they kept on developing his character and back story.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

King of Foolians posted:

Here is what I'm wondering:  What's up with the First Ones?  Now we know they were a group of explorers and settlers turned conquering weapon makers.  Mara said things started out well then turned bad. Are they still around? 

Very likely that the Heart was intended to be a weapon of conquest and once they lost it succumbed to infighting, invasion, collapse of some kind etc.

Rewriting LH to go from empathic AI to Lawful neautral follow all orders emotion is weak is a pretty clear sign the ruling First Ones were warmongering by that point and you dont develop mass weapons of destruction unless you have mass targets you need to destroy.

It could be the classic "source of Hordak Primes tech was discovered First Ones tech he keeps secret from his clones" from the descendants of First Ones who lost the knowledge of how to use it.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

I won't be surprised if it turns out that Horde Prime is a descendant of the First Ones, having changed himself to the point of being unrecognizable as such. Horde Prime's empire seems like the inevitable result of the First One's behavior so either he conquered them or he IS them.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Reddit AMA and post history of the official account
https://www.reddit.com/r/PrincessesOfPower/comments/dtlb78/ama_with_shera_showrunner_noelle_stevenson_and/
https://www.reddit.com/user/OfficialSheRa/

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

CuwiKhons posted:

I won't be surprised if it turns out that Horde Prime is a descendant of the First Ones, having changed himself to the point of being unrecognizable as such. Horde Prime's empire seems like the inevitable result of the First One's behavior so either he conquered them or he IS them.

Adora is his cousin, her fangs won't come in until she's in her twenties though.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Hey, maybe Horde Prime thinks you're defective for not having extra eyes.

So, got a few theories from everything we've seen; looks like Horde Prime has psychic powers, and I get the impression most of his clones are a hivemind, or basically his meat puppets, at least they're supposed to be. Hordak's defect isn't just physical but might be that he can resist it, since Horde Prime does say he can't read Hordak's mind before touching him. And I get the impression he was going to use the same powers to wipe Glimmer's memory, of the Horde at least; it looks like he's an evil overlord who understands the value of good PR, and removes anything in the way of that.

I imagine next season is probably going to open with Horde Prime's armada presenting themselves as liberators from Horde tyranny, and seeking control of both the Runestones and the princesses. Or possibly, having both the Horde's right hand and the leader of the Princess Alliance at his mercy, presents himself as a unifier bringing peace and order to a divided, war-ravaged world. Either way, probably not going to be long before people start saying they actually miss when they only had to deal with the Horde, depending on how transparent the charade is or if there's actual relief efforts.

Also, looks like the First Ones might have colonised Etheria about a thousand years or so ago, probably a while to build so much infrastructure, and maybe co-opted the local legend of She-Ra to put a friendly face on their administration. Then something went horribly wrong- probably Mara shifting Etheria into the empty dimension and taking the planetary network offline- and most First Ones tech stopped working and sites were abandoned, with the colonists eventually fully integrating into the native population. (Also would explain why about all of the official Princesses we see are apparently human or part-human, while most crowds are various nonhumans; humans mostly integrated into/became the ruling classes, a pretty common pattern with conquerers)

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Nov 9, 2019

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Hey, maybe Horde Prime thinks you're defective for not having extra eyes.

According to the character designer. Horde Prime's extra eyes for ornamental. He apparently takes body parts from his clones to improve himself, and he wanted some extra eyes for decoration so he ripped some eyes out of a clone.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

MonsterEnvy posted:

According to the character designer. Horde Prime's extra eyes for ornamental. He apparently takes body parts from his clones to improve himself, and he wanted some extra eyes for decoration so he ripped some eyes out of a clone.

I hope we see a couple of clones with eye patches in the background.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I hope we see a couple of clones with eye patches in the background.

Bold of you to think those clones weren't just thrown back into the vats to be reprocessed after their useful parts were taken.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Doctor Reynolds posted:

No, but given the events of this season it seems like Eternia (and Castle Greyskull) were part of the First Ones' space empire, and She-Ra shouting that to transform was just a patriotic flourish.

The Ultimate Doge
May 1, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo
I finished season 4 and they outdid themselves again with the writing. I'm also a fan of Double Trouble because they're basically me

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I think the fun thing about Double Trouble is how professional they are. They really are serious about using their campy sadism exclusively for the benefit of whoever's paying them - they've found a job they love, and they sincerely want to excel at it.

The Ultimate Doge
May 1, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo
Today I was thinking about how the show is known for being gay, but all of the romances in it are straight except Bow's dads, and they were only in one episode

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Have you just completely missed Spinerella and Netossa?

ENEMIES EVERYWHERE
Oct 27, 2006

]
Pillbug

The Ultimate Doge posted:

Today I was thinking about how the show is known for being gay, but all of the romances in it are straight except Bow's dads, and they were only in one episode

what canonical straight romances are there?

micah & angela have no screentime together because he’s been ambiguously dead and now she’s ambiguously dead. so far hordak and entrapta are just lab partners with some one-sided blushing. seahawk has heart eyes for mermista but she clearly thinks he’s a big dork (though it was cute how she ran off after his seagull SOS to go save him).

whereas:
catra & adora
scorpia & catra
adora & literally any big lady with nice big muscles
lots of other girls & she-ra’s nice big muscles
lighthope & mara?
spinnerella & netossa actually canon married

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013

ENEMIES EVERYWHERE posted:

micah & angela have no screentime together because he’s been ambiguously dead and now she’s ambiguously dead. so far hordak and entrapta are just lab partners with some one-sided blushing. seahawk has heart eyes for mermista but she clearly thinks he’s a big dork (though it was cute how she ran off after his seagull SOS to go save him).

whereas:
catra & adora
scorpia & catra
lighthope & mara?

Yeah it’s an observation I noticed where in contrast with the most of those listed relationships/crushes, every straight relationship portrayed on the show has either been unrequited or straight up tragic. Which is usually the opposite on most other shows so I choose to believe that’s very deliberate

The Ultimate Doge
May 1, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo

whereas:
catra & adora
scorpia & catra
lighthope & mara?

A lot of these aren't really confirmed but yeah I missed a lot because the only season I can remember is the latest one

ENEMIES EVERYWHERE
Oct 27, 2006

]
Pillbug

The Ultimate Doge posted:

A lot of these aren't really confirmed but yeah I missed a lot because the only season I can remember is the latest one

my point was that none of them are confirmed except for Bow’s dads (gay and very happy together), Spinerella & Netossa (gay and very happy together), & Angella & Micah (straight, RIP).

all the unconfirmed romances are either
1. unconfirmed so it doesn’t matter

or if they do matter, then

2. the majority of the unconfirmed romance / ship tease moments are queer.

so it seemed weird to me to say that there’s more straight than gay romance in the show.

cartoons123 posted:

Yeah it’s an observation I noticed where in contrast with the most of those listed relationships/crushes, every straight relationship portrayed on the show has either been unrequited or straight up tragic. Which is usually the opposite on most other shows so I choose to believe that’s very deliberate

this is a good catch!! hadn’t thought about it as a deliberate reversal of the bury your gays trope but that is a great read and makes total sense.

ENEMIES EVERYWHERE fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Nov 10, 2019

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I like Entrapdak (Bayonetta x Lord Voldemort)

Roth fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Nov 10, 2019

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

whereas:
catra & adora
scorpia & catra
lighthope & mara?

Also, Scorpia's mothers (Depicted)

ENEMIES EVERYWHERE
Oct 27, 2006

]
Pillbug

maltesh posted:

Also, Scorpia's mothers (Depicted)

:yeah:

hope they’re alive and well somewhere out there in etheria

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Speaking of which, do you think Scorpia still has family out there anywhere or is she the last one? I assumed she would have family out in the Crimson Wastes last season but this season it seems more clear that Scorpia's family got decimated and she was only kept alive because she was young enough to be raised as loyal to the Horde. I also assumed we'd meet more of Catra's species on Beast Island but uh, nope. There was a cat girl on Captain Scurvy's pirate crew though.