Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Katty!
Aug 26, 2015

Chillin'

I found it really funny towards the end of episode 3 when a very obvious Troy Baker gives you a package that is literally labelled 'thermonuclear bomb'. really hoping next time he gives you a big box of clearly labelled anthrax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Spacedad posted:

Well Sam is a 'repatriate' so he won't cause a voidout because he can't really die. Whenever he 'dies' his body repairs itself like a kind of time-rewind, and his soul goes back to his body. That's also why he's so valuable; because he is a one-man 'expendable' who can face multiple BTs and other fatal hazards without a cost of human life, or a risk of voidout.

Acktually... I caused a voidout in the first boss, because he ate me.. If you are bad at this game (like me) you find things better players never know about.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Back Hack posted:

This needs to go into the OP.

Also not spoiler, but spoiling anyway: It’s such a missed opportunity that you can’t have the cuffs play music and any shape or form. This game would be so much better if you could trigger the ambient music while traveling some way.

If you have a spotify premium account you can use it on playstation and play the game's soundtrack - like many other PS4 games, the game will automatically mute its own music for the spotify player. I played through a lot of Persona 5 with King Gizzard music doing that.

(Also you can use your smartphone or whatever else you have logged in on spotify to act as the music remote controller.)

Tei posted:

Acktually... I caused a voidout in the first boss, because he ate me.. If you are bad at this game (like me) you find things better players never know about.

Oh lol well then.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Nov 10, 2019

Dimo ArKacho
Sep 12, 2008

I'm not creative enough to come up with something good

Tei posted:

Wait, really? Did it make a huge crater where port knot used to be, or does the game kinda just gloss over that?

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Dimo ArKacho posted:

Wait, really? Did it make a huge crater where port knot used to be, or does the game kinda just gloss over that?

They pull you far enough away when you get snatched that the crater is right next to it.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Crashing into the thread late with hot takes:

The Ordering of tutorials esp for combat is very wierd
Mules especially that first camp seem a combination of easy -> Frustrating depending on if they arrive 1 at a time or all at once, especially with the lack of sneaking terrain near them
Trying to do mechanics while stuff BT's mostly push you against terrain is a little annoying
Why do I have to try and please geoff keighley

The rocky area near Chapter 2 end talks Port Knot City is annoying, i got my bike through the BT zone but now am stuck on that side cause gently caress trying to get it back through, My hubris

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I have completely lost my bike at the end of chapter 2. I rode it out of Port knot City right into the first higgs cutscene, and after that it vanished.

It's not in my garage, and I don't see it in the game world.
any advice?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Donovan Trip posted:

I have completely lost my bike at the end of chapter 2. I rode it out of Port knot City right into the first higgs cutscene, and after that it vanished.

It's not in my garage, and I don't see it in the game world.
any advice?

If you're speaking of the cutscene I think you are, it was most likely rusted and destroyed by the rain that ensues.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Does anybody have any tips for sneaking around MULEs? Regardless of how much cargo I'm carrying they seem to just instantly spot me from a million miles away. They're like tiny specks on the horizon still when they see me and I get the WEE WOO WEE WOO yellow alert. It makes sense that they'd be able to see that far unlike most video game enemies out there who are blind as bats, but jesus these dudes seem really perceptive.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Does anybody have any tips for sneaking around MULEs? Regardless of how much cargo I'm carrying they seem to just instantly spot me from a million miles away. They're like tiny specks on the horizon still when they see me and I get the WEE WOO WEE WOO yellow alert. It makes sense that they'd be able to see that far unlike most video game enemies out there who are blind as bats, but jesus these dudes seem really perceptive.

If you're carrying stuff i've only had good luck performing either:

Knockout every MULE, 1 on 1 STRAND FIGHT BABY

Skirting their territy so I have a lot of terrain between me and them (for example across the river and up the ridge near the first mule encampent)

Going anywhere near them with cargo and attempting to evade seems just an excuse to be scanned down constantly and they run faster than you.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

lets hang out posted:

its really minor compared to all the building but i love the way you can follow other players' paths and how they turn into trails after enough people walk them

This is seriously amazing

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

CJacobs posted:

Honestly, just beat them all up when they come at you. They're not really good at combat, and they don't really gang up on you.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Stormgale posted:

Skirting their territy so I have a lot of terrain between me and them (for example across the river and up the ridge near the first mule encampent)

Going anywhere near them with cargo and attempting to evade seems just an excuse to be scanned down constantly and they run faster than you.

Yeah, since they're constantly pinging with their scanners I think I'll try dropping literally everything (ladders n poo poo included) and see if that lets me get any closer. Until someone in this thread mentioned, I didn't even notice that the lit-up boxes on your back are the ones they wanna steal. There's lots of cool minutiae to them but the game doesn't really give you a way to figure any of it out besides diving right into danger.

edit: Fun fact about that, they actually give up the chase if they manage to get whatever it is they want. If it falls off of you they immediately grab it and haul rear end back to their camp unless you're actively trying to smack them around.

SardonicTyrant posted:

Honestly, just beat them all up when they come at you. They're not really good at combat, and they don't really gang up on you.

This is pretty much what I've been doing yeah, Reedus has a loving devastating sissor kick lol

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Nov 10, 2019

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Mules seem like pushovers. They can't ever keep up with you, they are poo poo at throwing their javelins and if you want to fight them, you can easily just punch them out

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

You get an upgrade later to help with the Mule pings

I think this game hides too much behind story progression.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Yeah, since they're constantly pinging with their scanners I think I'll try dropping literally everything (ladders n poo poo included) and see if that lets me get any closer. Until someone in this thread mentioned, I didn't even notice that the lit-up boxes on your back are the ones they wanna steal. There's lots of cool minutiae to them but the game doesn't really give you a way to figure any of it out besides diving right into danger.

I'm pretty sure their scans only handle deliverables and resources, basically anything they leave at the dump point when you get Ko'ed is not something they will scan for.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

For a game that isn't at all about combat there's something absolutely hilariously satisfying about completely bodying a feral mailman, grabbing his luggage out of the air, and immediately flinging it into the head of his buddy

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Lol I just spent 2 hours very slowly connected DCs with roads. You're welcome. I'm for the players.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

If you're annoyed by BTs, here's how to deal with them with zero risk pretty much

Take off all cargo, get caught on purpose. When the Catcher spawns, just run away. Rain will temporarily be stopped in that area, all BTs gone. Not sure if it works in literally every zone, but I've tried it twice now at the Wind Farm and near the rocks by Port Knot

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I love that if you have a big jenga stack going on you can hold L2+R2+Square to hoist your shoulders and tackle people to knock them right over. It's way less effective if you're not carrying much too.

Also, unrelated, but does anyone else feel like the game looks worse in 4K than in 1080p? There's a lot more light reflection shimmering and the textures seem a bit blurrier, which may have something to do with the checkerboard upscaling. Compare with 1080p, where the super-sampling smooths out pretty much any jagged edge especially on hair. Did they ever say what resolution the game ACTUALLY runs at when you have it set to 4K? Horizon Zero Dawn ran at like 1400p when set to 4K mode iirc.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
https://twitter.com/Crobisaur/status/1192993590571675648
https://twitter.com/itmeJP/status/1193349692073140224

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

One of the side quests has you deliver a nuke to Edgar Wright. What's he doing with a nuke...:gonk:

psyman
Nov 1, 2008
I badly want to get into this but don’t have a PS4, would it be worth buying a base model second-hand just for DS?

I’m addicted to DayZ on Xbone X at the moment and kind of looking for another open-world game with longevity really. Could a person play this over a long period of time after finishing the story in terms of building structures online, or will America be fully covered by highways and bridges from other players a few weeks from now?

Do you think there will be much to do beyond the campaign?. I’m picturing a fully geared endgame Sam with exosuit and 2 hover carriers and trucks constructing stuff for other players.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

It's coming to PC in early or mid 2020. Just wait for that if you don't already own a PS4.

The PS4 is pretty close to the end of its console lifecycle - probably not worth getting one unless you get an extremely good deal on one.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Someone's been having fun on twitter this weekend

https://twitter.com/cupidsynapse/status/1193325510140579840?s=21

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

This is my favorite sequence in the game so far BTW. It's like a bonus level. No danger, just grab as much stuff as you can and climb a normal building stairwell.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Can't help but notice the absurd amount of player peeing notices around Conan Obrien's base. :laugh:

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Norman Reedus rules. :patriot:

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Heavy Metal posted:

Norman Reedus rules. :patriot:

https://twitter.com/Piglii/status/1193326599665602560

Dimo ArKacho
Sep 12, 2008

I'm not creative enough to come up with something good

Stormgale posted:

At some point in chapter 3 you get something that helps you avoid them over fighting.

You get the ability to counterpulse with your baby scanner, and if you time it right, it cancels their ping.

You grrr it from the timefall farm

First spoiler is the thing, second spoiler is where you get it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Norman Reedus seems like a cool chill dude from every interview I've seen of him. I can see why Kojima inducted him to his ever-growing actor harem.

I do wish he would choose a different hair care product though, I thought Daryl Dixon on The Walking Dead looked like a living oil spill by choice cuz it's a zombie apocalypse and stuff... but no, that's just Norman Reedus.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

CJacobs posted:

Norman Reedus seems like a cool chill dude from every interview I've seen of him. I can see why Kojima inducted him to his ever-growing actor harem.

I do wish he would choose a different hair care product though, I thought Daryl Dixon on The Walking Dead looked like a living oil spill by choice cuz it's a zombie apocalypse and stuff... but no, that's just Norman Reedus.

he's a beautiful trash angel and I love him

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

For a game that isn't at all about combat there's something absolutely hilariously satisfying about completely bodying a feral mailman, grabbing his luggage out of the air, and immediately flinging it into the head of his buddy

Was thinking it would be hard to outdo the Phantom Pain "knock out a gawping dumbass by slo-mo winging an empty magazine into their face" but beating down a mule with my blown out sneakers and then throwing them George Bush-style at his buddy for an instant KO is right up there.

Still loving this so far, and the progression just keeps coming and getting new toys to play with feels good. So far only one mission that kinda annoyed me because it had me go back and forth on basically the same exact, fairly long, route 3 times in a row but the scenery was nice and the ropes / ladders I set took out the worst of it.

I'll probably find out there was some super easy way to bypass it later and feel like a dumbass.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

he's a beautiful trash angel and I love him

I am legit losing my loving mind after finding out just now that reedus played the fucky goth kid in Blade 2

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
Just made it to Chapter 3.

That first boss was an absolute pushover. But god drat was it still fun and trippy

Game is so loving good and I look forward to beating it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Was thinking it would be hard to outdo the Phantom Pain "knock out a gawping dumbass by slo-mo winging an empty magazine into their face" but beating down a mule with my blown out sneakers and then throwing them George Bush-style at his buddy for an instant KO is right up there.

I found out that if you fall on a MULE from a higher vantage (doesn't even need to be that high) you will take him down with you when you eat poo poo and fall on your face. I haven't knocked anyone out doing it yet, I don't think it's even an intended tactic, but I wholly recommend trying to dive from the top rope if you get the chance :shepface:

edit: Also, if you're carrying a lot of stuff on your back, they'll do this hard shoulder shove if you let 'em and Sam will do a cartoony rear end WOAH WOAH WOOOOAHHH circular arm swing as he tries not to fall on his back like a turtle. So many fun little situational interactions as is the Kojima standard.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

CJacobs posted:

Apparently you get an upgrade where you can ping them to counter their ping to hide yourself in their territory. Not sure when you get it.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
I really enjoy building things like roads. I built two sections in part 3 and now other people have filled in almost all the rest. Now I have a road through half the map to make it really easy to get around.

Also got my porter rating to 120+ by doing that.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Hamelekim posted:

I really enjoy building things like roads. I built two sections in part 3 and now other people have filled in almost all the rest. Now I have a road through half the map to make it really easy to get around.

Also got my porter rating to 120+ by doing that.

Here's me reacting live to the exact same thing, a road was the first major co-op thing I built and it immediately got like 5000 likes and gained me 25 Bridge Link levels, it was awesome. So satisfying to see people are actually using your stuff in realtime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NicelyNice
Feb 13, 2004

citrus
Totally not prepared to like this game, but it's one of my favorites in recent memory. I'm not big into huge, sprawling open world games, but if a high profile one comes out I always try to give it a pass and check it out (I played RDR2 up until the first couple missions of Chapter 3 and put it away, completely satisfied with my full price purchase). Expected to do the same with Death Stranding, but I'm legit digging it so far.

Actually like how there's not that much to be found by exploration - I feel like I'm not missing out too much sticking to missions and very naturally plotting my way from place to place, rather than videogame-type scavenging of the entire map, wondering where the developers hid stuff. Makes for a much, much more fun approach to the world, which is absolutely beautiful.

Midway (?) through Chapter 3, the pace of the game feels very good - I'm digging the minute-to-minute gameplay, which I assumed would bore me, but with the beautiful environments and social systems is actually quite chill and fun.

The writing is absolutely terrible and the characters, so far, aren't that interesting, but it's all fun in that very specific Kojima way. The worldbuilding is keeping me interested and I'm excited to see how off the rails the plot will head.

More than anything, just kind of happy to have a big-budget game that feels this weird! Really happy Kojima got away from Metal Gear and curious to see what could be next.