Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
Is there an auto insurance thread somewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torraque
May 18, 2014

Hey folks, I have a new to me 2016 Chevy SS (VF Commodore series II to the Aussies around) with about 43k miles and a troubleshooting question:

The rear brakes squeal intermittently under light braking, it doesn't seem to be tied to any particular driving conditions and the pads have plenty of meat left on them. It doesn't seem to affect braking but is intensely annoying. I have no experience working with brakes and am looking for some direction on what could be causing this.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

taqueso posted:

Is there an auto insurance thread somewhere?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3488763&perpage=40&pagenumber=57

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Torraque posted:

Hey folks, I have a new to me 2016 Chevy SS (VF Commodore series II to the Aussies around) with about 43k miles and a troubleshooting question:

The rear brakes squeal intermittently under light braking, it doesn't seem to be tied to any particular driving conditions and the pads have plenty of meat left on them. It doesn't seem to affect braking but is intensely annoying. I have no experience working with brakes and am looking for some direction on what could be causing this.

Me thinks this will be the copper paste fix.

Or new pads/rotors/shims that will solve it all.

https://www.retrocarguy530.com/chevy-ss-brake-squeal-noise-tsb/

Torraque
May 18, 2014

Colostomy Bag posted:

Me thinks this will be the copper paste fix.

Or new pads/rotors/shims that will solve it all.

https://www.retrocarguy530.com/chevy-ss-brake-squeal-noise-tsb/

Thanks! Guess I should have looked around a little more before asking.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Torraque posted:

Thanks! Guess I should have looked around a little more before asking.

No problemo, for some reason it rang a bell.

Congrats on owning a cool car.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I tried to do a little research on them so I didn't come here completely ignorant, but I was hoping to get an opinion on electronic car starters, specifically 1 way vs 2 way.

Has anyone had or know of bad experiences with the 1 ways? As I understand it basically the only downside is you risk the signal not working and not realizing it?

I was looking at this Compustar cs 100s model and would just bring it to our mechanic to install.

It's for my mom's...sigh, 2013 Fiesta her husband advised her to buy, so I don't mind cheaping out a bit because it doesn't have any extra features, and is such a piece of poo poo I'd not be surprised for it to be toast soon.

Thanks for any help.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I tried to do a little research on them so I didn't come here completely ignorant, but I was hoping to get an opinion on electronic car starters, specifically 1 way vs 2 way.

Has anyone had or know of bad experiences with the 1 ways? As I understand it basically the only downside is you risk the signal not working and not realizing it?

I was looking at this Compustar cs 100s model and would just bring it to our mechanic to install.

It's for my mom's...sigh, 2013 Fiesta her husband advised her to buy, so I don't mind cheaping out a bit because it doesn't have any extra features, and is such a piece of poo poo I'd not be surprised for it to be toast soon.

Thanks for any help.

tl;dr: Don't.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Colostomy Bag posted:

tl;dr: Don't.

Yep. If it's not a factory option simply don't do it.

Not sure if you realize, but among a long list of other issues, they often have to defeat security measure in the keys (chips) by putting an uncut but paired key in a box under your dash. It's some seriosly janky bullshit.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Actually, was considering this for my car as well.

However, my car does NOT have a chip in the key (it's also stupid easy to break into, thanks to frameless windows, and exterior door handles attached by Facebook hopes and prayers). It does have factory keyless entry, but no alarm and no passive or active antitheft. I was hoping to add an aftermarket alarm with remote start.

2003 Subaru Outback, automatic. Was hoping to do this more for air conditioning instead of heat, since it gets more than a bit warm here. I'm absolutely adding an alarm (not one that goes off if you sneeze near it; I don't want it going off from vibration, only if a door is opened or a window is broken [so glass break detection]), just wondering how decent aftermarket alarms and remote starts are today. I want the alarm because there's an aftermarket stereo, sub, amp, and speakers in it (I keep the cargo cover closed, but still).

I work in a large grocery store, so a 2 way likely wouldn't work unless I'm outside.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
My 93 Capri again, the spindles(?) for my wipers were completely ruined by the PO. One was drilled into and had a roll pin shoved through the wiper arm into the spindle itself, and the second spindle was nearly stripped of the ribs that the arm locks onto. Upon fixing a problem with the armature and trying to reinstall the arms, the first spindle snapped off before I could even get it tight enough to stay in place and the second arm occasionally drifts around the windshield even after being torqued down. Currently, I have the one remaining arm centered on the windshield, but combined with the drifting, that won't be nearly enough to deal with the snow

I can only find replacements from very high mileage cars that may or may not be damaged to a similar degree. Is there any relatively easy way to upgrade the spindles and wiper arms without building a custom armature?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

The Door Frame posted:

My 93 Capri again, the spindles(?) for my wipers were completely ruined by the PO. One was drilled into and had a roll pin shoved through the wiper arm into the spindle itself, and the second spindle was nearly stripped of the ribs that the arm locks onto. Upon fixing a problem with the armature and trying to reinstall the arms, the first spindle snapped off before I could even get it tight enough to stay in place and the second arm occasionally drifts around the windshield even after being torqued down. Currently, I have the one remaining arm centered on the windshield, but combined with the drifting, that won't be nearly enough to deal with the snow

I can only find replacements from very high mileage cars that may or may not be damaged to a similar degree. Is there any relatively easy way to upgrade the spindles and wiper arms without building a custom armature?

Is there a chance 323 parts fit?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Charles posted:

Is there a chance 323 parts fit?

The BF's are mounted on the wrong side othe car and the BG's look really similar, but that generation of 323 was a few inches wider than the Capri and had different windshields. Either way, there's nothing conclusive that I can find on Capri boards

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I went to town fare tire and had them swap over my winter tires. When I got it back though I noticed my Tpms light wont turn off. Air pressure is fine. Is this normal for tire change over or should I go back and say something?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Empress Brosephine posted:

I went to town fare tire and had them swap over my winter tires. When I got it back though I noticed my Tpms light wont turn off. Air pressure is fine. Is this normal for tire change over or should I go back and say something?

If the pressure is right then there should be a way to reset the TPMS, if that doesnt work you should take it back.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I brought it back and theyre going to fix it. Sweet thanks for the help

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I have a 2017 VW Jetta with the factory radio including dashcam. Since this is the base radio, I know it won't have preamp outs and I'll need a line-out converter to tap into existing speaker lines to get RCA for an aftermarket amp/subwoofer I have.

I've usually installed amps/subs when I'm also replacing the native unit, but in this case I don't think I'm going to replace the native unit because of the integration with the steering wheel controls and all of that (unless there's an aftermarket unit that will still have all the same functionality). This is my first time dealing with a lineout converter of any kind.

The big question I have is: why remove the radio to put the LOC behind the unit instead of just tapping into the rear speaker line already running to the back speakers? It seems like it would be a much easier install overall, as there'd be no need to remove the head unit this way. Installing the power line is easy because of the extant firewall space for the clutch. If I could do it and without having to pull apart my dash, I would prefer to do so.

Thanks for help with my dumb question!! Apologies if there's a thread for this. I didn't see one on the first page.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I've done exactly that before, with the LOC attached to the bottom of the rear deck (double sided tape FTW) and taped into the rear speaker wires just before the speakers. Worked fine.

That said, most mid level and better aftermarket head units should have a way to tie into your steering wheel controls (usually with a third party adapter - Crutchfield will show what's needed). But you may or may not have to switch to an aftermarket backup camera, depending on the wiring.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Nov 9, 2019

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

STR posted:

I've done exactly that before, with the LOC attached to the bottom of the rear deck (double sided tape FTW) and taped into the rear speaker wires just before the speakers. Worked fine.

That said, most mid level and better aftermarket head units should have a way to tie into your steering wheel controls (usually with a third party adapter - Crutchfield will show what's needed). But you may or may not have to switch to an aftermarket backup camera, depending on the wiring.

One of my biggest issues with switching to an aftermarket is there arent any that have knobs and physical buttons on crutchfield for my car that also are steering wheel input compatible. I like those and would rather not have touchscreen only.

I might go aftermarket if I find one thats essentially like the current on.

This is the same that's in my car:

e: edited with bigger image

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Nov 9, 2019

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Craigslist seems to be drying up, where is everyone selling their ~10-15 year old niche cars now

also gently caress bat

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Nice! posted:

One of my biggest issues with switching to an aftermarket is there arent any that have knobs and physical buttons on crutchfield for my car that also are steering wheel input compatible. I like those and would rather not have touchscreen only.

I don't blame you. I'm sure there ARE some with a volume knob that work with steering wheel inputs, but that's about the only physical control you'll get on a lot of mid to high end units now.

That said, if you have steering wheel controls, you probably have muscle memory of them by now... so why not just use the steering wheel controls?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

STR posted:

I don't blame you. I'm sure there ARE some with a volume knob that work with steering wheel inputs, but that's about the only physical control you'll get on a lot of mid to high end units now.

That said, if you have steering wheel controls, you probably have muscle memory of them by now... so why not just use the steering wheel controls?

The steering controls are only vol up/down and scrolling left/right plus a phone button. There are good buttons in conjunction with the knobs on the head unit. Im also partial to keeping the VW look over the garishness of most aftermarkets.

I wish I could just get something that looks like my current radio with better guts.

I also already have an amp/subwoofer so I just need to buy a couple of adapters/wires to install them vs spending a chunk on a head unit.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Mr. Nice! posted:

This is the same that's in my car:

e: edited with bigger image

I see a lot of listings for 2017 Jetta with a big volume knob and lots of buttons that are steering wheel compatible with the metra adapter. Be sure you look at Double DIN sized ones.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Charles posted:

I see a lot of listings for 2017 Jetta with a big volume knob and lots of buttons that are steering wheel compatible with the metra adapter. Be sure you look at Double DIN sized ones.

Im not sure what filters I had on earlier that were limiting, but I am seeing more now on a second look. Still a lot of gaudy decks but better overall. Thanks!

E: ah it was restricting it to carplay compatible ones that I end up in touchscreen hell.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

I wish I could just get something that looks like my current radio with better guts.

Have you looked for the higher trim model radios that were available for that car?

Surely there are people who had those that have "upgraded" or the car got wrecked.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Motronic posted:

Have you looked for the higher trim model radios that were available for that car?

I have looked at some. Saw one on ebay. The downside of that is still having to LoC to install the amp because I havent found one yet that was designed with an amp/sub in place. I need to dig more and see if there is.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

I have looked at some. Saw one on ebay. The downside of that is still having to LoC to install the amp because I havent found one yet that was designed with an amp/sub in place. I need to dig more and see if there is.

Yeah, was assuming the higher trim ones would have line level outs. If not that's not a whole lot of help.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Was helping out one of my partner's friends with a flat last weekend and realised I should probably have a more comprehensive kit in my own car ready to go. What else do I want for a roadside emergency kit? I figured:

Spare tyre, factory jack, tyre iron
Oil
Coolant (but IDK what kind the PO put in my vehicle - no issues with it the 2.5 years I've had it).
Bottled water (for drinking, or coolant in a pinch)
Couple of granola bars
Blanket
Torch
High vis vest
Booster cables
Adjustable spanner
First aid kit (have a small one for my motorbike, can just move it between the two vehicles)
Wouldn't buy spares, but probably let my socket set and screwdrivers/hex keys live in the boot as well

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

BlackMK4 posted:

Craigslist seems to be drying up, where is everyone selling their ~10-15 year old niche cars now

Facebook Marketplace seems to have taken a lot of the Craigslist market in my area, but another factor is that not as many people are selling their 10-15 year old cars right now if they still work.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Was helping out one of my partner's friends with a flat last weekend and realised I should probably have a more comprehensive kit in my own car ready to go. What else do I want for a roadside emergency kit? I figured:

Oil
Coolant (but IDK what kind the PO put in my vehicle - no issues with it the 2.5 years I've had it).
Couple of granola bars
Blanket
Torch
High vis vest
Booster cables
Adjustable spanner
First aid kit (have a small one for my motorbike, can just move it between the two vehicles)
Wouldn't buy spares, but probably let my socket set and screwdrivers/hex keys live in the boot as well

Road reflector [those reflective triangle things]
Pliers (needlenose, standard)
Tire plug kit (the ones with two separate tools, preferably, as the combo ones are garbage)
Unused, packaged batteries for your flashlight (flashlights are a container for storing dead batteries)
Compact air compressor
-Alternate: CO2 cartridges and a Schraeder valve adapter for same

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Oil
Couple of granola bars
Blanket
Torch
High vis vest
Booster cables
Adjustable spanner

Are you trying to do a survival kit with a storm of some kind?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
In the winter, I keep a bag with a spare jacket, sweater, gloves, hat, etc, food, and water (though I should leave water in my car 365 days, now that I think about it).

I'm not confident that I can fix a car on the side of the road, but I wanna be warm/safe enough to wait for help.

I also keep my 1/2" breaker bar and the appropriate socket for my lugs. I find that better than a stock tire iron, plus I have a breaker bar with me should I run into a situation where I need one.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ethics_Gradient posted:

What else do I want for a roadside emergency kit?

Important clarifying question: is is a Land Rover or similar?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Motronic posted:

Important clarifying question: is is a Land Rover or similar?

I'm loving how many ways I can imagine this being interpreted.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

taqueso posted:

I'm loving how many ways I can imagine this being interpreted.

I get that, but as a Land Rover owner I assure you both the camping equipment AND spare parts are just as required.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Ford fusion miss fire issue solved. Needed a computer flash.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Motronic posted:

I get that, but as a Land Rover owner I assure you both the camping equipment AND spare parts are just as required.

I feel like car camping was just a term coined by someone with an unreliable shitbox to make it sound planned.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Is there a life hack that allows me to turn on the air pump at a gas station without having to beg the attendant for it?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

theHUNGERian posted:

Is there a life hack that allows me to turn on the air pump at a gas station without having to beg the attendant for it?

I guess live in my town? They are almost all free and always ready to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

theHUNGERian posted:

Quarters usually do it for me