Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret

CJacobs posted:

Here's me reacting live to the exact same thing, a road was the first major co-op thing I built and it immediately got like 5000 likes and gained me 25 Bridge Link levels, it was awesome. So satisfying to see people are actually using your stuff in realtime.

Yeah really! I did the same thing on the first three chapters like installing bridges enough to have people message me on PSN saying thanks for starting it. It's wild. I dont know what kinda voodoo magic this is but it's a really clever idea and I love it.

I kinda want to go back to the first area and finish out some side quests but at the same time I kinda want to progress through the story and continue to piece together this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

also dont know if this is common knowledge but if you press L3 on bike, you go way faster

and then if you press X, you jump the bike

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
I'm trying to avoid spoilers as much as possible so I'm not really reading the thread; goondolences if these questions have been asked

1) Is there permanently missable content? I have reached Port Knot City and cleared the fight against the Catcher, but since then I've stopped to do every Order for Sam to try and get every waypoint to 5 stars. Die-Hardman said something about making sure I was really done before moving on, so I'm thinking I'll be locked out of this region after I go to the boat or whatever he's asking me to do
2) Is there something I'm missing, or some otherwise easy way to manufacture orders that will deliver to locations I haven't 5-starred yet? The Musician and Port Knot City are both pretty close to 5 stars, but no deliveries I have take me near them, and I don't see any loose cargo on the obvious throughpaths connecting those points to anything else

Being a delivery man is pretty good

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

How do you actually build bridges? I'm on the first mission where you have to build one, and when I get to the designated spot I'm not sure what to do. It brings up a terminal but I cant seem to do anything with it.

In general I'm very confused at what the game means when it shows me a prompt to hit options for "structure menu" because it just seems like the same menu that you normally get with the handcuffs, with no new options available.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

veni veni veni posted:

How do you actually build bridges? I'm on the first mission where you have to build one, and when I get to the designated spot I'm not sure what to do. It brings up a terminal but I cant seem to do anything with it.

In general I'm very confused at what the game means when it shows me a prompt to hit options for "structure menu" because it just seems like the same menu that you normally get with the handcuffs.

You have to hold the options button. Note the little ring around the button (that you can barely see because the options button itself is a big oval). It trips up a lot of people, myself included.

This wouldn't be a problem if the game used the MGS5 (I think?) button hold icon which literally says 'hold' under the prompt. No idea why they did the outer ring thing since the holds activate so fast anyway.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

veni veni veni posted:

In general I'm very confused at what the game means when it shows me a prompt to hit options for "structure menu" because it just seems like the same menu that you normally get with the handcuffs.

You need to contribute materials that the upgrade requires. I built a level 3 generator by bringing enough metal and crystals to level it up. It will tell you in a sidebar what you need to advance to the next stage of development. Also hold Options instead of pressing it once, or you'll just get cufflinks instead of the Structure menu

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

veni veni veni posted:

Hold the options button to open the terminal menu. Then it's as simple as adding the resources listed on the right side of the screen to finish it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Thanks guys. yeah I was just tapping options. That is really confusing lol.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

veni veni veni posted:

Thanks guys. yeah I was just tapping options. That is really confusing lol.

It's okay, I will never stop hitting the Circle button to confirm my cargo layout instead of X (thus canceling my changes) because Circle is "leave this menu" in every menu except the cargo layout menu. So many clunky UI choices you just have to remember are there, it's real unfortunate.

edit: vvv lmao I also fatfingered the yell button in BT territory once and froze as if I were ten years old and I'd just broken a priceless vase

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Nov 10, 2019

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

This one isn't the games fault, but I keep hollering in the middle of BT areas because I am so used to game maps being on the touch pad.

But yeah. Loving the game but the menus are convoluted and overly complex. I'm getting used to them but it's not very intuitive at all.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

veni veni veni posted:

This one isn't the games fault, but I keep hollering in the middle of BT areas because I am so used to game maps being on the touch pad.

But yeah. Loving the game but the menus are convoluted and overly complex. I'm getting used to them but it's not very intuitive at all.

Just like real logistics software!

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
dividing sparrows from the nightingales
Played this a bit more, still in chapter two but I think close to three because I'm headed to a port city. It's kinda absolutely wild to me that a AAA game was released that isn't about combat and what few times it comes up are because of a fuckup, the ideal delivery is all about smooth transportation of goods and setting up ladders and bridges in useful areas. Like, any game you play long enough becomes a delivery grind eventually, only this one starts out as one and is absolutely addicting. I never thought delivering resin to a hologram would be so satisfying, and it made me smile to see a bridge over the river right outside the capital with over 4k likes.

Taking on a lot of standard and lost package deliveries gives me the same vibes it does in MGSVTPP when you set down somewhere in Afghanistan with the goal of crossing a bunch of side ops off your list at the same time, only every mechanic is designed around traversing to them instead of the couple minutes you spend grabbing that one soldier/blueprint/lost little sheep.

Like basically he took my ideal playthrough of TPP (slowly and methodically clearing bases without ever actually getting into combat and then spending hours in menus and submenus) and made that the entire game. It's crazy and I love it.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I think this game will result in so many broken touchpads. I feel like I'm torturing it when giving hundreds of likes.

Also not 100% sure, but it feels like road building is a bit inconsistent. It seems like if you never touch a segment at all, it will slowly fill in with materials from other players, but if you contribute to a segment, you HAVE to fill the rest up yourself.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I can confirm other people can still contribute. I got half the materials for a road into the pod, and by the time I came back an hour or so later I had gotten a popup saying someone else had finished it.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
the way the multiplayer incentivizes working together is really kinda genius.

i made a bridge to a little island/sandbar in a river. later i came back and someone else had made a bridge over the other part and now i can just haul rear end on my bike. those moments are awesome.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

By the end of chapter 3, I was feeling a little down on the game because with the truck and exoskeletons and floaters and all that poo poo the game really does dramatically change like the reviewers say. Except they say for the better but for me it was kinda for the worse cause it does a lot to trivialize everything I'd liked up until that point. Until I took all that poo poo for granted and out of complacency broke down in the middle of nowhere with nothing and a pile of garbage to move and no good way to do it. I realize now that the stakes can go way higher when that stuff is used properly. It's Good

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Why can Sam sometimes not sleep? I'm resting now but I can't put him to sleep.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I am so goddamn confused by the fabrication menu/delivery preparation after accepting a mission. I build something and equip it, but there is no way to progress beyond that. I can equip it by hitting x or holding x to load all but then I’m just stuck here, or have to exit without fabricating. I seriously have no idea what I’m missing.

The worst part is that I’ve actually done this like 10 times but I think I just fumbled my way into getting it to work. But I’m just at a complete loss now.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

The social aspect of this game is seriously something special and I can't think of another game that has done it like this.

Also I love all the little tiny ways the game gets you connected with your BB. Just hanging out in hot springs, hearing him laugh when you pee or go over bumpy terrain on your bike, etc. The baby rocking mechanic is a great touch.

Still enjoying the story quite a bit, stuff is starting to cook off now. Art direction is super fuckin' good and that's definitely helping. The stuff with Mads Mikkelsen is really strong and he's selling the hell out of it - the little BB interludes with him are really effective and some of them are genuinely sad / touching.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

veni veni veni posted:

I am so goddamn confused by the fabrication menu/delivery preparation after accepting a mission. I build something and equip it, but there is no way to progress beyond that. I can equip it by hitting x or holding x to load all but then I’m just stuck here, or have to exit without fabricating. I seriously have no idea what I’m missing.

The worst part is that I’ve actually done this like 10 times but I think I just fumbled my way into getting it to work. But I’m just at a complete loss now.

Just commit at the bottom of the menu? Are you not getting the bottom button?

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Still enjoying the story quite a bit, stuff is starting to cook off now. Art direction is super fuckin' good and that's definitely helping. The stuff with Mads Mikkelsen is really strong and he's selling the hell out of it - the little BB interludes with him are really effective and some of them are genuinely sad / touching.

Honestly its one of the top reasons why I am playing this game right now. I sometimes have to roll my tape back to really try and see better what Mads' character is narrating. Its a neat touch and something that I enjoy looking into.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
i bit the bullet and bought the game. its installing now.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

JBP posted:

After about 10 minutes I figured out that I was fabricating a lot more than I thought? And I had to equip all of it before being able to leave the menu. I thought it was making me equip my entire inventory.

All I wanted to/chose to make was an anchor but for some reason it gave me a bunch of boxes of resin and it was confusing as hell.

I’m still not sure wtf happened there.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

JBP posted:

Also make sure you're not putting an item in a slot that's already occupied - I think it won't let you confirm if there's a "floating" piece that isn't either attached or specifically offloaded. I had this same thing happen once and now I can't remember what the specific issue was (I think I was switching two items back and forth between my tool slot or something) but yeah typically there should just be a confirm button at the bottom.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Nov 10, 2019

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Does Norman Reedus have irony poisoning too or does he just like everything with his name in it.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Don’t really see what everyone is saying with the writing or story being “loving terrible” in this game. It’s not even that bad??

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I have now individually built two road segments and my like counter is blasting off. In my instance, every road between Lake Knot and the Distribution center is done, so doing a bunch of deliveries has gotten much more convenient. I did a timed mission over to Elder in like four minutes.

I think my main complaint is definitely the combat with MULE's. I wouldn't mind is so much if there weren't so many per camp and there weren't three camps in the first zone of Ch3 alone AND they didn't respawn all the time. Chaining together cargo face-bashes is definitely the best method - the Strand Counter is good and easy but the i-frames on it are weird, sometimes you'll get blasted mid-attack and die as soon as the animation ends, or someone throws a spear at you and you get stunned after it. Otherwise, having a lot of...is fun the right word? I don't want to stop playing but I'm not sure if I would describe the game as "fun." I played basically nonstop ten hours today and want to play more but fun just seems like a weird descriptor for what this game is.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Don’t really see what everyone is saying with the writing or story being “loving terrible” in this game. It’s not even that bad??

I’ll do you one better. It’s good

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The REAL Goobusters posted:

It's Serious Western Video Game brain damage, it's terminal

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I’m still pretty early on but I’m quite liking this so far. It kind of feels like what Firewatch might have been if it were a big AAA release (And well had a completely different kind of story).

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Glad to see this thread turning it around a little. Lots of good vibes. Keep forming strands.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I stopped checking the thread after the game came out until I kept getting outsmarted by the menus. Didn’t even realize there was negativity. The game rules. Like, it completely kicks rear end.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Everyone I've heard bash the game's story has basically said it's not "deep" enough and it doesn't have some sort of hidden complex meaning, which - sure, I guess? The game is up-front with what it's about but I really haven't minded at all because the moment-to-moment stuff is interesting. This game is much more about the crazy dream world than it is the metaphor. The things you do in-game reinforce the message and have a real impact on the world so in that sense they totally nailed what they set out to do.

Basically every negative thing I've heard about the game, both from story and gameplay, has stemmed from the reviewer wanting it to be something else.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Stealing a mule truck makes getting a lot of supplies to build roads to a heck of a lot easier.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

What exactly are the mechanics on the BTs? So far it seems like I go into bullet time for a second when they're around, and then I crouch and keep walking and hope they don't see me. And then sometimes there will be a bunch of black splashes that home in on me and then I'm in a big black mud puddle with mud zombies trying to pull me down and I mash square and walk out of the puddle. This hurts my cargo(?).

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Phenotype posted:

What exactly are the mechanics on the BTs? So far it seems like I go into bullet time for a second when they're around, and then I crouch and keep walking and hope they don't see me. And then sometimes there will be a bunch of black splashes that home in on me and then I'm in a big black mud puddle with mud zombies trying to pull me down and I mash square and walk out of the puddle. This hurts my cargo(?).

If you're in the black puddle you got caught. When your light is white and clicking it's focused on the closest BT. Go around it. When it's orange that means the BT is really close, use R1 to hold your breath and go around it until it turns white again, then you can let go of R1. Falling in general will damage your cargo, you'll get a notification when something gets damaged.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

Phenotype posted:

The little star on your left shoulder points at the nearest BT. Blue is far, blue and blinking is closer, orange is closer still and frantic spinning while orange means you are about in detection range unless you hold your breath.

If you stand still you can actually see them, and if you ping your scanner while still it'll keep them marked for a few seconds as you move again.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
People are already warping this social aspect of the game. I’ve seen several incomplete bridges scattered about that makes me think people are counting on good samaritans to finish their work for them so that they can keep the credit for it

Also dozens of times I’ve seen ladders and ropes right next to each other, the newer one intentionally being placed there so that they can steal likes from the other one

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
I called it when I said in early 2018 when that gameplay trailer came out that it was the 2019 version of Oregon Trail.

And thats a very good thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

People are already warping this social aspect of the game. I’ve seen several incomplete bridges scattered about that makes me think people are counting on good samaritans to finish their work for them so that they can keep the credit for it

Also dozens of times I’ve seen ladders and ropes right next to each other, the newer one intentionally being placed there so that they can steal likes from the other one
Theyre mules