Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stickfigure
Sep 4, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Type n*****r for red paddle, f****t for green one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

SMG once did a long rear end post about how Jar Jar and Gungans were supposed to be a reference to Gunga Din and represent the heart of the movie, that the people of Naboo and Queen Amidala didn't need to look outside for help. They just needed to accept the native people of their planet and work together to fight off the true evil of the galaxy, capitalism/finance/colonization/"civilization." And that this tied into the larger plot of the Jedi and Republic being worthless.

Honestly considering that the larger arc of the prequels was how a Republic becomes fascist and a big element of that was the peacekeepers becoming more bound up in law and tradition than in compassion and seeing the world as it is, I suspect that Lucas did intend that parallel to be there. But it's such a big topic that making it a footnote in the movie meant it only makes sense in context rather than being a clear aspect of Phantom Menace as a stand-alone script.

Similarly, when you watch the birth of Vader/death of Padme as a scene in isolation, it seems pretty obvious that the Emperor is literally draining her life to revive Vader. But immediately before that part of the scene, they hit you with "she's lost the will to live" and the dialog and acting and tone of the prequels has been so all over the map that this seems like the actual explanation, not a droid trying to explain a Force phenomena it can't detect.

I mean maybe the films are just Bad and folks are stretching for ways to make them Not Bad, but... I think George Lucas was really his own worst enemy in the making of those films, and his two core visions for Star Wars ("be a recreation of old-school adventures" and "reflect my complex and ever-darkening feelings about the state of the world and the US in particular") were just too at odds to coexist without others to help him balance it out.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Goa Tse-tung posted:

Twitch uses a system that turns normal words into emotes (unlike for example SA where you need words inside colons), so the only reason for the autobans I see if the two words for the emotes are some kind of slurs.

The system sees hundreds of slurs in a row and just bans, the person revieweing the logs sees hundreds or slurs and upholds the bans.
just seeing a screenshot you can guess what triggered the system - hundreds of accounts spamming out up to dozens of the same character at once in live chat for an extended period of time without any other text interaction; and you could see why they'd fail a review - because without the context of the stream they'd appear like that to a person as well.

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained

CmdrKing posted:

think George Lucas was really his own worst enemy in the making of those films, and his two core visions for Star Wars ("be a recreation of old-school adventures" and "reflect my complex and ever-darkening feelings about the state of the world and the US in particular") were just too at odds to coexist without others to help him balance it out.

If I remember correctly the original trilogy is only good because Lucas had a couple of editors to reign him in, and the prequels are bad because those same editors left and Lucas was left unchecked.

Also iirc since the original trilogy's Empire is a parallel to the Nazis, Lucas was paralleling their rise in the prequels a la using fear to gain control over the senate

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Solar Tornado posted:

If I remember correctly the original trilogy is only good because Lucas had a couple of editors to reign him in, and the prequels are bad because those same editors left and Lucas was left unchecked.

This is exactly what happened.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
The influence of Marcia Lucas on Star Wars cannot be understated, it's true. There were other folks in the mix at other stages of production but her work is the easiest to pick out. Having the actual Oscar to show for it doesn't hurt, although I find people outside a particular set of fans tend to forget about her.

(Though of course for... obvious reasons it was never likely she'd be back for the prequels.)

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

https://twitter.com/maddoxrules/status/1191452649528250368?s=20

https://twitter.com/maddoxrules/status/1186354953838686208?s=20

https://twitter.com/maddoxrules/status/1184989480026984448?s=20

I am really conflicted here. I hadn't checked out Maddox stuff in like..... 12 years but I just assumed he would have graduated into mega chud by now.

I mean he was doing the whole "actually African Americans are called black people" and debunking the wage gap when he was in his 30s.

Eschenique fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Nov 10, 2019

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Eschenique posted:

https://twitter.com/maddoxrules/status/1191452649528250368?s=20

https://twitter.com/maddoxrules/status/1184989480026984448?s=20

I am really conflicted here. I hadn't checked out Maddox stuff in like..... 12 years but I just assumed he would have graduated into mega chud by now.

I mean he was doing the whole "actually African Americans are called black people" and debunking the wage gap when he was in his 30s.

Holy poo poo is that guy a blast from the past, having flashbacks to reading his website in school and buying his stupid book.

I remember him getting a boatload of abuse (from rascists) after arguing that illegal immigrants should receive the minimum wage as well, but from the angle that it would reduce the incentive to hire illegal immigrants. I think he was just a standard South Park republican back then. It'd be interesting to see how his views have changed, if at all.

Bug Squash fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Nov 10, 2019

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Eschenique posted:

I don't know who this person is but I scrolled for like 1 min and found him defending Bill Gates and this
https://twitter.com/maddoxrules/status/1191477947028275200?s=19

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Sarcopenia posted:

I don't know who this person is but I scrolled for like 1 min and found him defending Bill Gates and this
https://twitter.com/maddoxrules/status/1191477947028275200?s=19

Which is a huge step up from his 1998 work.

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=index98

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Wasn’t maddox involved in a giant public lawsuit recently?

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Wow. Maddox is a can of worms, and then some.

He's pretty much the patient zero of online edgy "lol are u triggered" content irony overload. Even Tucker Max can't really claim that crown.

-Controversial "common sense" takes that are sold as jokes but are one standard deviation from his actual insecure personality? Check.
-General typecasting of women as dumb, easily-offended sluts except for those that cater specifically to his interests? Check.
-Disregard for all non-STEM fields? Check.
-Railing against political correctness? Check.

I stopped reading him way back mostly because he never updated, and didn't buy his book. I even forgot he was a thing until he was shown in a Penn&Teller's Bullshit episode, in a weird way. It was about growing old and falsehood associated with it, and they picked his material as serious charges to be debunked. Old people smell like soggy newspapers? Now that's a claim that requires two magicians to tackle! Maddox actually appears in the show, selling his t-shirts and merch.

That was it for years, until I listened to a podcast of one of his former partners in a hugely successful Youtube show that I somehow never knew existed. Said cast was mostly about Maddox imploding the whole thing over jealousy, lawsuits and trying to hog the spotlight when his co-host was apparently a better Youtube face than himself. It was only the partner's side of the story, granted. But I can fully believe that if Maddox is not a chud, it's only because he's been eclipsed by more modern and efficient models, and he can't help but burn every ship in sight if he's not the one calling the shots.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

He also did that video showing how the sinking of the titanic was a government conspiracy in parody of 9/11 truthers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saHs6J0OXVI

I especially liked the simulation of a toy boat in a bathtub striking ice cubes to demonstrate that ice can't damage metal :v:

I do remember Maddox taking pretty firm stances against stuff like racism/anti immigration rhetoric even back then but from a very privileged standpoint. Young edgy me thought he was really cool.

The problematic part is that with now the age he was when he first wrote a bunch of that stuff I find it all pretty cringy. So I don't know how to feel. Can you "grow up" from your 30s to your 40s?

Eschenique fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Nov 10, 2019

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Eschenique posted:

The problematic part is that with now the age he was when he first wrote a bunch of that stuff I find it all pretty cringy. So I don't know how to feel. Can you "grow up" from your 30s to your 40s?

This guy sounds like an absolute shitheel. But I'm 41 and yes, in my experience life is a constant parade of looking back at yourself ten years ago and thinking 'Christ you infant baby idiot'.

Now whether this rear end in a top hat can possibly change I am not qualified to say.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

He's just one of those old school right-wing libertarian types who think they're smarter than everyone, believe property rights are the ultimate form of democracy and liberty, and think PC culture is running rampant. It's funny he appeared on Bullshit because he claims to share Penn's political ideology so that should tell you everything you need to know.

Anyway, nevermind that poo poo, have a four hour epic of Noah Caldwell-Gervais examining Red Dead Revolver, Red Dead Redemption, Red Dead Redemption 2 and GUN:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2utf6yph_QQ

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Goa Tse-tung posted:

Twitch uses a system that turns normal words into emotes (unlike for example SA where you need words inside colons), so the only reason for the autobans I see if the two words for the emotes are some kind of slurs.

The system sees hundreds of slurs in a row and just bans, the person revieweing the logs sees hundreds or slurs and upholds the bans.
According to the video some people got their appeals through and their account reinstated only for the system to auto ban them again instantly.

I also doubt that the text for the emojis is an actual slur given that the video/screenshots shows people using a variety of different emojis, basically any that are red or green. Also wouldn't that get caught by the word filter? . Maybe its the red versus green thing that triggered this? Half the people posting one thing the other half posting something else, clearly a race war going on here.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

No it's just youtube thinking they're spam bots.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
but the thing is: spamming emotes in Twitch is normal, I saw those logs too and they look like an average day in a busy channel

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Yeah it's completely normal on twitch. This is youtube not twitch. Youtube wants to be a live streaming site but sucks at it and I'm willing to bet all the money in my pocket that youtube does not bother to use a different spam algorithm on their premiere chats than they use on normal comments.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
My understanding is that Youtube has a habit of rolling out game changing poo poo to their algorithms and applying it at random and then never telling anybody about until weeks later, if they ever say anything at all.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Imagine me yelling "I did it!" like Ozymandias.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Yeah emote spam isn't something exclusive to twitch in the slightest.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Jimbot posted:

Anyway, nevermind that poo poo, have a four hour epic of Noah Caldwell-Gervais examining Red Dead Revolver, Red Dead Redemption, Red Dead Redemption 2 and GUN:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2utf6yph_QQ

Excited to have time to watch this. As I saw someone say on twitter, you always know Noah is making use of that time, even if it seems daunting at first.

On the other hand Joseph Anderson is saying his Witcher 3 video is going to be 9 hours long and... I guess if it was 1 game that deserved that kind of length it WOULD be Witcher 3? But even then that seems pretty excessive when previous videos have been kind of bloated by his determination to be The Most Thorough Even If I Want To Die Doing It.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Acute Grill posted:

Yeah, basically the series could have ended at literally any sentence in the last book until The One was introduced and it would have been better. Though I always thought the god characters were super out of place and only existed for deus ex machina (when Erek couldn't literally be one) and enforcing the status quo.

i dunno i feel like "the war is a dick measuring contest between two assholes who never suffer consequences" is uh

pretty fuckin on point for a book that is a "realistic" depiction of a fantastical conflict

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I want to see Raycevick do a Witcher Years Later series, he's been quiet for too long. Anyways here's George talking about colour blindness and video games.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJ_06cwozZ0

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

watho posted:

Wasn’t maddox involved in a giant public lawsuit recently?

Yeah he was having a really petty slapfight with his ex-friends/coworkers who are all edgy alt-lite comedians:

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/a3bwjj/the-cuck-centric-flame-war-that-turned-into-a-life-wrecking-lawsuit

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

Arcsquad12 posted:

Anyways here's George talking about colour blindness and video games.

A good video. I remember when I was a kid RTS games had colorblind modes which boiled down to "all allies one color, all enemies another". Me and my friends actually used that a lot because it was easier than scanning the minimap for different colors and trying to mentally map those back to individual players.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Solar Tornado posted:

Eeeeeeeeehhhh, the thing about this story and others like it is that it comes from Gary Kurtz, who was a producer on the original Star Wars that got fired from Empire Strikes Back for running the project ridiculously overbudget and nearly ruining it, and then proceeded to spend thirty years poo poo talking Lucas while working on a string of imploded and disorganized projects like The Dark Crystal and Thief and the Cobbler. Homeboy absolutely had a bone to pick.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
https://twitter.com/Kizzume/status/1192762316158144512?s=19

I guess YouTube is adding in a clause where they can terminate your channel if it isn't "commercially viable"

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I mean we know the work print for a New Hope, and that it was generally pretty bad just due to editing stuff poorly. The better version we got only had one substantial scene cut, most of the actual work was done by fixing the ordering of scenes. So it would seem less that editors reigned Lucas in from any directorial stand point, and more that he's just a bad editor and someone else needs to do the actual work of editting for him.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Fabricated posted:

I guess YouTube is adding in a clause where they can terminate your channel if it isn't "commercially viable"

Huh. I guess this will eliminate every channel except a couple hundred, depending on how they define "commercially viable"

Are there any other video platforms still out there? In case my bad dumb channel disappears, I'd like to dust off my archive hdds and re-upload my lovely LP-videos elsewhere

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Terrible Opinions posted:

I mean we know the work print for a New Hope, and that it was generally pretty bad just due to editing stuff poorly. The better version we got only had one substantial scene cut, most of the actual work was done by fixing the ordering of scenes. So it would seem less that editors reigned Lucas in from any directorial stand point, and more that he's just a bad editor and someone else needs to do the actual work of editting for him.
Pretty much.

My favorite fun fact about The original Star Wars is that the idea that the Death Star was attacking the rebel base at the end was added entirely in post. If you watch the film you can see how every scene mentioning the threat is over cut away effect shots or addred over characters not facing the camera. All shots of the death star laser warming up ate identical to the ones used in the alderan sequence.

Its like a magic trick that made the film not poo poo.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Clerical Terrors posted:

A good video. I remember when I was a kid RTS games had colorblind modes which boiled down to "all allies one color, all enemies another". Me and my friends actually used that a lot because it was easier than scanning the minimap for different colors and trying to mentally map those back to individual players.

My friends who play League of Legends used to do this all the time because the colorblind mode indicators stood out better, too. iirc the original color blind settings were so common they made them the default one.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Trojan Kaiju posted:

Excited to have time to watch this. As I saw someone say on twitter, you always know Noah is making use of that time, even if it seems daunting at first.

On the other hand Joseph Anderson is saying his Witcher 3 video is going to be 9 hours long and... I guess if it was 1 game that deserved that kind of length it WOULD be Witcher 3? But even then that seems pretty excessive when previous videos have been kind of bloated by his determination to be The Most Thorough Even If I Want To Die Doing It.

IIRC he's doing all three Witcher games along with the books, so given how much mechanical evolution there was between the three games and how little talk there's been around the writing there's definitely 9 hours of things to break down.

The only real critiques I've seen so far are Mr. BTongue's video on the role of discomfort (specifically in the context of The Witcher 2) and SuperBunnyHop's comment that at it's best the series is "more like Shrek than Game of Thrones"

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Fabricated posted:

Pro-tip: they're talking about banning channels that become a liability for them by making them look bad in public, not about banning every channel that's dedicated to showing off someone's cat in blurry iPod camera footage with only 2000 views max.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

SunAndSpring posted:

Pro-tip: they're talking about banning channels that become a liability for them by making them look bad in public, not about banning every channel that's dedicated to showing off someone's cat in blurry iPod camera footage with only 2000 views max.
I dunno, you got any faith in them doing the right thing?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

SunAndSpring posted:

That’s...not any better. If anything it’s worse as it is a vaguely defined way of giving them power to kill any channel causing them PR grief. The odds of it being used on modest LGBT channel over a nazi channel like Pewdiepie or Crowder are high.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Captain Invictus posted:

permabanned from all google accounts for using a red or green colored paddle emote? gotta be an algorithm. wouldn't surprise me if the appeals process was also an algorithm, and thus no humanity involved to realize what a stupid dipshit system it is and unban everyone

nationalize youtube

YouTube's algorithm has become sentient (?), but its only motivation is to ban people for using red and green emotes out of an irrational hatred for The Red Green Show.

Therefore, it must be destroyed.

Eschenique posted:

Why are people are upset with this? I mean, it's an impressive talent, but I suppose it constitutes as a health code violation.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Nov 10, 2019

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Fabricated posted:

This looks like a way to get rid of the LGBTQ information channels that often get demonetized but just run on Patreon instead.

Also Steven Crowder will probably go down as well since he lives on selling mugs mainly.... right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Arcsquad12 posted:

I want to see Raycevick do a Witcher Years Later series, he's been quiet for too long. Anyways here's George talking about colour blindness and video games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrqdU4cZaLw

Game Maker's Toolkit did a video on the same topic some time ago. They are both worth watching.