Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XRoja
Jan 8, 2002
Grimey Drawer

Boxman posted:

But yeah absolutely just go sit in the car. Find a Carmax or a Carvana or an Enterprise Car Sale or some other no-pressure place for all these test drives, then if you don't feel like paying the premium associated with them, go buy elsewhere.

That's a good tip, thanks. I don't like dealing with super chatty or pressing sales people at the dealerships. I'll check out carmax and carvana.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

My 2000 Toyota Celica may actually be on its final fumes. Nearing 300k miles. We'll see how much more I can get out of it. Going to drive it into the ground as planned, BUT i'd like to start preparing for the replacement.

I'm 6'3" and looking mostly for safety, fuel economy, and space (hatchbacks preferred, but ok with regular sedans).

Last time I checked in this thread, a used Prius for ~10k was the go-to answer. I'm not so hot on Toyota anymore since they have sided with the Trump administration's vehicle standards over CA's standards. I'm not entirely opposed if this is still the best option though, since I'm buying used.

I don't want to spend more than 15k. I'm looking at ~2016 Honda Fits and Ford Foci. What else should I be considering?

Proposed Budget: 15k
New or Used: Used
Body Style: 4-door - hatchback preferred - I'm 6'3" so interior room is important
How will you be using the car?: Short commute. Sometimes going camping.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? Not really
What aspects are most important to you? Safety, fuel economy, space, reliability

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
we JUST had the whole "make sure you sit in the cars to see what you are comfortable in" conversation

can we change the thread title to something about that

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

we JUST had the whole "make sure you sit in the cars to see what you are comfortable in" conversation

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
The E150 is like the hatchback of trucks. So get that and you get all the room. No reason to look around. (Taking a group of friends shooting and camping in the sand dunes in a couple weeks in mine :black101: it’s also my road warrior exclusive vehicle)

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

khysanth posted:

My 2000 Toyota Celica may actually be on its final fumes. Nearing 300k miles. We'll see how much more I can get out of it. Going to drive it into the ground as planned, BUT i'd like to start preparing for the replacement.

I'm 6'3" and looking mostly for safety, fuel economy, and space (hatchbacks preferred, but ok with regular sedans).

Last time I checked in this thread, a used Prius for ~10k was the go-to answer. I'm not so hot on Toyota anymore since they have sided with the Trump administration's vehicle standards over CA's standards. I'm not entirely opposed if this is still the best option though, since I'm buying used.

I don't want to spend more than 15k. I'm looking at ~2016 Honda Fits and Ford Foci. What else should I be considering?

Proposed Budget: 15k
New or Used: Used
Body Style: 4-door - hatchback preferred - I'm 6'3" so interior room is important
How will you be using the car?: Short commute. Sometimes going camping.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? Not really
What aspects are most important to you? Safety, fuel economy, space, reliability

Ugly and boring but cheap
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...ickType=listing

boring,undersized but with factory warranty and honda name (and price premium)...

looks good?

cheapest to run
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...clickType=alpha

Honestly, asking for a hatchback in TYOOL 2019 really,really limits your options. Today is the golden era of a midsize and compact cars. Accord/Camry/Fusion etc have duked it out for 20 years and now all of them are pretty great, with a fuckload of features at a low used price (because no one wants a sedan in 2019).

What I would probably buy...

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...kType=spotlight

or

or

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I’m 6’4”. Sitting in a car is the only way.

For example, minivans: on paper the Odyssey (at the time) was the clear winner. Except for the fact that the drivers seat (well, none of them) was height adjustable. And I would have needed at least an inch and a half, maybe two, to sit in that car without literally tilting my head to the side.

In many cars, the proper driving position is contraindicated by the height of the windshield, assuming I want to see things like traffic lights and signs.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Toyota doesn't really care or benefit if you buy a used prius.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

the aversion people have to leaving the house and physically sitting in and driving a car is absurd

then again: goons

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the aversion people have to leaving the house and physically sitting in and driving a car is absurd

Honestly, if a person hasn't been to one of the no-pressure dealerships, it's understandable. The imagined (and somewhat typical) car buying experience involves fairly pushy sales tactics, and every time you get into a car there's someone to ask what it would take to get you to take that car home.

I know I paid more for that car than I would have if i had shopped around even slightly aggressively, but I really appreciated that business model and was fine supporting it.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

New business model: Screeching Autism Auto LLC

We drive the car to your house, you watch through the curtains until we leave. We leave the car unlocked and depart for 2 hours while you sit in the car, a soothing soundtrack of whale noises plays from a Bluetooth speaker because we’d never trust you with the keys. You make zoom zoom sounds despite it being a 2.0 4 cylinder auto CUV.

You ask us if you can use PayPal or crypto to pay for your monthly installments, we sigh.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Motronic posted:

Hybrids don't "count" the same for oil change mileage specs as the ICE doesn't really have the same usage profile.

7,500-10,000 is common for regular Accords also.

The point is saying "modern dino is at best good for 5k" is directly contradicting at least some auto manufacturers.

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Nov 8, 2019

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.
The manufacturers who give long oil change intervals on dino oil usually have an exception for "severe conditions," that includes things like regularly driving less than ten miles per trip, driving when it's too hot, driving when it's too cold, driving in stop and go traffic, and driving with a significant load.

The super long intervals only apply if you're doing nothing but steady, low-stress highway driving. Oh, and for TCO calculations. Funny how that works.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

bird with big dick posted:

7,500-10,000 is common for regular Accords also.

The point is saying "modern dino is at best good for 5k" is directly contradicting at least some auto manufacturers.

The honda accord requires 5w-20 which is a synthetic only weight.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

nm posted:

The honda accord requires 5w-20 which is a synthetic only weight.

Guess again: https://smile.amazon.com/Havoline-223393474-5W-20-Motor-Oil/dp/B00M1Y2DJO
https://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/prod...0-Motor-Oil.pdf
https://www.valvoline.com/our-products/motor-oil/daily-protection-conventional-motor-oil
There are conventional 5w20 oils.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Nov 8, 2019

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

They use 0w20 not 5w20. The main argument I see is whether you want to consider a synthetic blend to be a conventional or a synthetic or neither.

But the owners manual does NOT specifically require a synthetic plus specifically states "You may ALSO use synthetic motor oil if it blah blah blah."

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Where does everyone sell their 10-15 year old enthusiast cars these days? Craigslist seems pretty dry now.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BlackMK4 posted:

Where does everyone sell their 10-15 year old enthusiast cars these days? Craigslist seems pretty dry now.

model specific forums

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Facebook marketplace

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
1. Autotrader/Cars.com full ad with carfax paid for
2. Craigslist also with link to 1.
3. Dropbox with documents, 50+ full size pics of every part of the car with every ding and scratch noted, , startup and driving videos,
links to the dropbox folder in 1, 2.
4. Also include a listing on the enthusiast forums for your car, with links to 1, 2, 3.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Nov 10, 2019

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don’t know if this is enthusiast enough but I sold my mazdaspeed Miata with standalone EMS that needed more tuning on Craigslist for what I had it listed for. The guy drove 8 hours to pick it up with a trailer even. It took a while for someone to bite though.

Edit: I guess my main tip here is a lot of patience. I did have a huge album with detailed photos ready to go to anyone interested.

powderific fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Nov 10, 2019

nm
Jan 28, 2008

BlackMK4 posted:

BAT if extremely clean and/or sought after, model specific forums otherwise.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

hemmings is doing auctions but that's more for 25+ years old

kitten
Feb 6, 2003

khysanth posted:

Unless you are getting a manual I'd avoid the Ford Focus.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Thanks to mostly lurking here, asking a couple stupid questions, and doing some research this thread guided me to, I bought a 2015 Mazda 3 with 58K miles on it this week. It's the base level trim package but that's fine since for right now my commute is really short. If I get the promotion I'm shooting for long-term I'll have to do some highway driving from time to time, but for now I'm just thrilled to have something I'm not terrified to drive on the interstate for fear of it exploding.

My next concern is what to do with my 2000 Cavalier which is no longer street legal because the dashboard has crumbled so badly that the wiring is falling apart and it has no working instrument panel, turn signals or 2/3 brake lights (thanks to the kindly deputy who just gave me a warning for that the other day). I'm thinking no used car lot will touch this thing and my best bet is calling a "we buy junk cars for salvage" place to get $200-300 for it, c/d? I think you could buy a dash for it for like $150 and someone handier than me could install it and re-attach the wiring harnesses and still maybe get a year or two out of it since it's only around 62K miles, but I just want rid of the drat thing at this point and don't feel like haggling with craiglisters over a $20 difference around $500.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
A functional car that can get somebody to work tomorrow is always worth at least a thousand on Craigslist/Marketplace. If it's not taking up your only parking space, list it and see what happens?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

skaboomizzy posted:

Thanks to mostly lurking here, asking a couple stupid questions, and doing some research this thread guided me to, I bought a 2015 Mazda 3 with 58K miles on it this week. It's the base level trim package but that's fine since for right now my commute is really short. If I get the promotion I'm shooting for long-term I'll have to do some highway driving from time to time, but for now I'm just thrilled to have something I'm not terrified to drive on the interstate for fear of it exploding.

My next concern is what to do with my 2000 Cavalier which is no longer street legal because the dashboard has crumbled so badly that the wiring is falling apart and it has no working instrument panel, turn signals or 2/3 brake lights (thanks to the kindly deputy who just gave me a warning for that the other day). I'm thinking no used car lot will touch this thing and my best bet is calling a "we buy junk cars for salvage" place to get $200-300 for it, c/d? I think you could buy a dash for it for like $150 and someone handier than me could install it and re-attach the wiring harnesses and still maybe get a year or two out of it since it's only around 62K miles, but I just want rid of the drat thing at this point and don't feel like haggling with craiglisters over a $20 difference around $500.

My son has a 2006 PT Cruiser he is selling. It's got a fair amount of body damage, the front bumper cover is torn off, and the grille is gone. Bare radiator and metal bumper up front, in other words. The rear seat won't latch when folded up and the hatch won't stay open. In other words, a classic beater. He was contemplating junking it because it's so awful.

He just wanted to get rid of it, so he listed it for $500 just on NextDoor. Not even really an ad, just a post that the car was for sale. People are leaping out of the woodwork to get a chance to look at it. He's got three or four people scheduled today to come by. He could easily have listed and probably sold it for $750.

The point is, it's not what it's worth to you. It's what it's worth to somebody else, and you never know that until you put it on the market. Give it a try at a price you think is ridiculous, like $750 or $1000, being fully willing to take much less if it's cash on the barrel.

Don't try very hard or spend much to sell it. Take what you can get and if no one is interested, then go for the salvage place. It's always there.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Agreed. My high school car was a tired old Mercury Topaz. Posted it for 1200 on Craigslist just for the hell of it and it got snapped up pretty quick.

If it runs and it's not a total death trap, someone will grab it as a winter beater or super cheap desperate commuter.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I used to buy and drive those cheap disposable cars for years. Sure, they had problems, and things occasionally broke. But it was still much cheaper than fighting a depreciation curve on something newer and financed at double digit interest rate. The trick to not be left stranded, is to have more than one disposable car

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I posted it on NextDoor for $800, I'll give it through Thanksgiving weekend to see if maybe some college kid home for the holiday wants it. I'll be ecstatic if I get that.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Is that better than Facebook/Craigslist?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Nitrox posted:

Is that better than Facebook/Craigslist?

It's limited in scope to the neighborhood you live in. I have no idea how it compares to the others.

It was free and the car sold for full asking price within two days is all I know.

XRoja
Jan 8, 2002
Grimey Drawer

XRoja posted:

That's the plan. But if enough people say a Prius is absolute poo poo for a 6' person I'm going to leave that off the test drive itinerary.

So far, I'll plan to try sitting in: Prius Prime, Volt Gen2+, Camry, Corolla hybrid, and comedy Nissan Leaf option

Ok, went out over the weekend and drove a bunch of cars. I've landed on a 2017 Prius Prime Premium. Here's the listing I'm thinking of going for:
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=532920790

It seemed pretty comfortable and the MPG is really good, those were my two big criteria. The price seems ok. Is it bad to buy this non-certified from a non-Toyota dealer? I can't find a certified car in this color and in the area that's at a price I can stomach.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Certified is nothing but an extended warranty sold with the car. You can probably find a Toyota dealer that will sell you the warranty if you want it.

A used car is a used car, doesn’t matter who sells it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i fail to understand why people want CPO reliable japanese cars. if it's like, a range rover, i can see value in having a manufacturer warranty and a look-over from a dealer.

like dude you are buying a prius, it's the most reliable car on God's green earth. why do you need it to be "certified" by a toyota dealer who briefly looks it over and then charges you an extra two grand because it has a short warranty? you should be getting a PPI anyway, so that covers the look-over part.

please do not buy an extended warranty on a prius.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

please do not buy an extended warranty on a prius.

I have a friend who has literally the worst automotive luck I've ever seen, which isn't helped by the fact that his reaction to nearly any repair is "replace the car". Somehow he had a Matrix that snapped a coil spring without a lick of rust anywhere on the car. Then he got a low mileage Prius with an extended warranty... and it had the HV battery poo poo itself. For whatever reason he had the warranty brochure on hand when he was discussing this and showed it to me, so I took a look at it.

The salesperson had even been so bold as to circle the part where said warranty did not cover the HV battery.

Luckily it was still barely (on the order of weeks remaining) within the original emissions warranty so Toyota replaced the HV battery, not the warranty company.

XRoja
Jan 8, 2002
Grimey Drawer

skipdogg posted:

Certified is nothing but an extended warranty sold with the car. You can probably find a Toyota dealer that will sell you the warranty if you want it.

A used car is a used car, doesn’t matter who sells it.

Makes sense to me, thanks. I know these are probably stupid questions but I haven't bought a used car in many many years.

Applying for financing with the local credit union and then we're off to the lot to talk with the salesperson who is a cartoon characterization of what you would think a used car salesman is.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Does his gold tooth make the "ting" sound when exposed to the sun?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

IOwnCalculus posted:

which isn't helped by the fact that his reaction to nearly any repair is "replace the car".

This is my mom. Granted, her last car was a lemon and well worth getting rid of.

I convinced her to get a Honda CR-V for the reliability. She's had it for one year, zero problems (though was mad she had to pay for an oil change as it should be part of the warranty???). She recently told me that she wants to get rid of it once the warranty is up and get a Kia with a ten year warranty. Wtf?

Worse is she will not buy a used car (bad experience in the 80's). I honestly think she'd be ideal to lease.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Uthor posted:

I convinced her to get a Honda CR-V for the reliability. She's had it for one year, zero problems (though was mad she had to pay for an oil change as it should be part of the warranty???). She recently told me that she wants to get rid of it once the warranty is up and get a Kia with a ten year warranty. Wtf?

I mean, new Kias and Hyundais are nice, but... that's a major WTF. My '13 CR-V made it to just shy of 164k before I had to have someone else actually repair it, and that's only because I was an idiot who got into a crash. I have reasons to want to replace it but the continued insane reliability of that car is one of the reasons I haven't already.

Not having a car payment covers a lot of repair budget, way more than that Honda will ever need.