Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

Yeah, there are some DUMB things you can do. I really want to see if it's possible to get a T1 kill via Scampering Scorcher, some draw, and some big elementals.

I suspect it is but you'd have to be insanely lucky to both draft and draw it.

i dont think i managed a t1 but they were definitely possible with burning prophet in war

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dpulex posted:

If wizards stopped planes walkers from being able to use abilities the turn they hit the board it would be so much better.

Then they'd be universally bad

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
What would MTG be like if both players could put down lands and cast spells in each turn, just one player had priority, and only one player could attack IE Legends of Runeterra?

After seeing how that game does it, it seems less bad to be the player going second.

PS I know MTG would never actually change that drastically, it's just a thought experiment.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I think being on the draw isn't so bad that it drastically needs addressing, it's more that WotC keeps printing on the play cards so standard keeps being super loving fast all the time. All the advantages of being able to keep a bad hand after mulliganing, getting more resources to work with each turn, and being able to hit your lands better pretty much disappear when people can hit easy on the play... plays.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Yeah, the modern like critical turn without modern level responses makes for some really pivotal die rolls.

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Then they'd be universally bad
Wasn't it pointed out Dpulex just shows up to yell about walkers and nothing else?

Interesting trying to think of walkers that could be playable under those circumstances though.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It turns out the secret to winning the Oko event is to just randomly roll Magmatic Force every game.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Yeah, Momoko is...even worse than I imagined. Anything with first strike or double strike, plus plenty of other creatures like Borborygmos are just "I win" buttons. What's worse is that everyone is playing slowly, because nobody has any idea what the Ixalan block creatures do.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Also, there's constant Belzenlok risk, lol

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
On one hand, momir is terrible. On the other hand, that Murderous Rider storybook art... :swoon:

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

ManMythLegend posted:

On one hand, momir is terrible. On the other hand, that Murderous Rider storybook art... :swoon:

I got my five wins just for that.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah this Oko mode is the worst thing; it's like some bad Hearthstone brawl but much, much worse. It's like they know that people want Murderous Rider alt art and it's the only way to get people to suffer through it.

I'm at least helping people out of this purgatory by snap conceding when they get Krenko or anything that gets counters easily on their first summon.

It turns out getting End-Raze Forerunners twice in one game where everything is a 3/3 is super busted. Thank goodness I'm done.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Nov 10, 2019

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
5 games of Okomir

went first 5 times

5-0

thanks for coming to my TED talk

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
Something that always makes me lose my poo poo is that a legendary creature getting elked somehow stays legendary, so if you have a copy in your hand you still can't have them both on board.

It's almost like they studied how to make Oko as frustrating as possible in an underground WotC lab.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

The Oko event feels like it must have been designed to see how much misery and currency players will put up with in exchange for pretty things, which hurts a bit because in my case the answer is “a lot, apparently.” F2P stuff really knows how to exploit my stupid brain; this is like a sunk cost fallacy/undervaluing time/gated exclusivity/slot machine hell I’d stacking psychological exploits :(

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013

Kawabata posted:

Something that always makes me lose my poo poo is that a legendary creature getting elked somehow stays legendary, so if you have a copy in your hand you still can't have them both on board.

It's almost like they studied how to make Oko as frustrating as possible in an underground WotC lab.

I was just going to complain about that. Legendary knight loses his "knight" status but I can't cast him again. Another OP thing about Oko.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

So anyone spotted funny cards from supposedly non-Arena sets ?

I saw fleshbag maurauder (cool) and Hoverguard sweepers (uh OK)

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah but the you just recast the legendary creature and sac the the elk one.

Doctor_Acula
May 24, 2011
It feels like this event was designed to prove that going first is extremely important.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

One of my opponents went first and entirely missed their first turn due to time out and still won (because they got Krenko and I quit).

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

The Okomir event just feels like "hope I get to go first!" Then when I don't, focusing back on netflix.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
Yes the event is bad, but standard is also bad so whatever.

At least the card art is sweet.

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
gently caress these events are awful.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Id have a lot more positive things to say about these events but their insistence on Belzenlok being in the creature pool means they dint take this format seriously at all donIndont have to care even a little bit and will brute force my way to 5 wins

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Why does anyone like Momir?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

lol this event sucks so much

seizure later
Apr 18, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

apparently someone on the design team really likes him and pushed for this event to be a regular thing if I remember correctly?

this is the same company that has allowed Oko to ruin practically all of their official tournaments for a month so it's not really surprising they'd let this sort of thing be a reoccurring event

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Bust Rodd posted:

Id have a lot more positive things to say about these events but their insistence on Belzenlok being in the creature pool means they dint take this format seriously at all donIndont have to care even a little bit and will brute force my way to 5 wins

7 has always been the danger number and at least they didn't print Phage for Arena Momir

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Eej posted:

7 has always been the danger number and at least they didn't print Phage for Arena Momir

This particular event does not give you a choice as to what cmc the creatures you get are.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/article.asp?ID=15558&writer=Amy+the+Amazonian&articledate=11-8-2019

11% discrepancy in win rates going first vs second

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

They errated literally thousands of cards to have creature types they aren't printed with but yeah I can see how making a positive integer into a negative would break everyone's brains lol

IIRC Rosewater said that it was a mistake and they shouldn't have done it in hindsight.

It totally hosed up Onslaught block draft on MTGO, because the creature types were all things that existed before the Human type like Soldier and Cleric, so now all of your tribal stuff counts everything else. It's a total mess.

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
Regular momir has some skill component at least. This event just seems like roulette for fancy .jpegs.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's easy, you simply summon Magmatic Force as one of your tokens.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Rhaegar posted:

had a zetalpa out, felt invincible, lost because they drew a dream eater and bounced it :(

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

at least these games are over quick, opponent gets zetalpa first cast

conceed

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Rhaegar posted:

A while back I asked the thread for event ideas because the group I work with was getting the streamer spotlight. Well that never happened because it turns out the guy who ran those events was fired from WotC. Dunno why but all I know is that the special events are gone and this is here to stay!!

Also one of the guidelines when submitting the event ideas was nothing that needed to be programmed and no new cards which kinda shows you WotC's mindset when having these events.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

hahah this is so dumb but kinda painless really

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Yea there's no really strategy except for getting to three lands on board and praying you play one of the busted cards. I got Zetalpa twice on my way to 5 wins lmfao.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

yay im done because they made a rakdos that wrathed the opponenets entire side

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

My best combo was Baleful Force and Borborygmos. Pew pew all day long. Also one opponent got Bedlam Reveler t1 and immediately conceded.

I hope they never do Momir again but I get the feeling there's a greater chance of this being a permanent mode over Brawl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

This format is so very random.

There's a lot of decisions to be made but 87% of the time it didn't matter. Even going first/second doesn't really matter, like, they just pop better cards and you lose.

GrandpaPants posted:

I've talked about it before so to be brief: In short it's conflation. On MTGO grinding Momir was one of the best ways to build your tix pool, so people did it a lot. Low cost of entry and all that.

It's like building a game format based on thinking people liked the gameplay of their first summer job as a kid. Which I guess 80s developers did a lot so Magic is just suitably behind as magic do.