Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
I'm still early in the game Chapter 2, but if you defeat the boss or crater a BT zone, does it come back after a period of time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

JBP posted:

It does this with great efficacy. The cutscenes are beautiful to behold. The game is art as a picture might be. It doesn't require checkbox what's my motivation characterisation to fulfil its intentions.
Lol

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I just went to sooth my BB and they had a cute little boxing match... and then the baby hulked out and smashed his head against the glass and broke out?? Then everything went back to normal :wtf:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There are little bits of characterization scattered all over the place. For example, Sam doesn't get annoyed or pull away when Amelie touches him. Die Hardman doesn't make the mistake of touching Sam like everyone else he meets because they already worked together for Bridges I so they know each other. The random old guy prepper actually warms up to you and the idea of joining the network if you just go talk to him every now and then even with tiny optional deliveries.

Characters don't need to constantly be literally saying 'hello I am Die Hardman I have a goofy name and here's why I think America should be reunited', you can surmise that stuff for yourself. Or maybe just have some patience and he'll tell you when it's important for Sam to know his reasons, and so on and so on. Sure it's a bit grating that a lot of your interactions are just people explaining game mechanics to you, but that eases way off as your toolkit increases and you stop getting new toys every 5 minutes.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Nov 10, 2019

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Regarding BT zones:

Until now, I never died to one of the mini bosses (I always chicken out and run). If they kill you, is there an actual crater? I can only assume that's why they are in fixed spots so it doesn't gently caress up the level geometry?

Also another question regarding the strands towards the sky:

the bright ones indicate dropped cargo and sometimes also player built structure (or there was dropped cargo nearby)

the green ones indicate piss marks

what exactly to the black ones indicate? Are they created if someone is dragged away by the BTs?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

There's an entire loving HIGHWAY now I can just drive on instead of having to make my way across rocky terrain, all because of other players. This is so cool

In fact, this highway goes through a section of the game I was just at like an hour and a half ago

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I started playing this via a redbox rental.

The wife has never seen a Kojima game before and has no idea what she is in for. She is both horrified and interested in the story. One of her quips was "This is terrible, don't you dare let BB get hurt, he's just so cute I can't stand it, I want to protect this virtual baby"

I personally am finding the controls clunky and a bit frustrating to have to either constantly hold R2/L2 or deal with the QTEs, and at the same time find it kind of relaxing in a sense.

Don't like the BT encounters though, could do without those, especially if I'm carrying a full load of goodies, it's then hard to see the "warning" indicator from BB. I wish there was a way to tell what area is a BT area so I can just avoid the whole thing.

Also is there any point to getting max 5* with a zone, or is just barely filled in 5* enough? I got a hat from the first node.

Pretty sure the BT areas are places big black strands in the sky.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Lanth posted:

Don't forget to regularly check on BB when you're in your safe room.

Thanks for the nightmares, Kojima.

Definitely check on BB at the start of chapter 8.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

Macaluso posted:

There's an entire loving HIGHWAY now I can just drive on instead of having to make my way across rocky terrain, all because of other players. This is so cool

In fact, this highway goes through a section of the game I was just at like an hour and a half ago

Yeah, there are highway nodes you can add resources to, to extend the road as well. Takes a shitload of materials though so it's definitely aimed at the community all pitching in.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Excuse me?

singateco
Jan 28, 2013
Kojima actually did it. He made me a whore for likes

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Macaluso posted:

Excuse me?

:stare:

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
It is just a Horizon Zero Dawn hologram connected to a customised player structure. No gameplay impact or story implications.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Is the pursuer you have to fight/evade when you're caught by BTs randomized? For me it's been the big ol gribbly squid every time. Someone told me it was based on your birthday, what constellation you fall into- apparently they fought some kind of lasso throwin' scorpion and are perhaps coincidentally a scorpio... but I don't fit any of the ones the game lists. (Aug 25, so I'm a Virgo, one day after Kojima's birthday!)

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Nov 10, 2019

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

This is not a game you're gonna get anything out of just by watching someone else play it lol.

Like a huge element is making your own choices about routes / loadouts / how to approach situations, taking time out to help other players and coordinate to develop a literal in-game community, forming a connection with your BB through small gameplay elements, etc. Almost everything about this game is wrapped up in the way those elements interact.

You lose all of that if you're not actually in control and just watching someone else do it all sounds like a completely miserable way to experience this game.

Yeah I watch a lot of Let's Plays and this would be a rough one to watch and I think would sap all enjoyment out of the game. Also you completely lose any sense of self-driven discovery which is how I've been playing it, luckily I went in completely blind and as it unfurled I was like 'carrying boxes? uh ok' and now I'm really liking where its going.

I understand why people watch games to figure out if the game is for them or not but this game really isn't to it IMO.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Macaluso posted:

Having not played this game yet, I'm kind of on the fence about this, because it seems like by the time later people come round to play it, it's going to be incredibly easy to route through the game?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Honestly the social aspect of this game is super super cool and I think it completely succeeds at what Kojima wanted to do. When this stuff was first talked about I think it wasn't received as especially optimistic. But it's great running into charging towers, or bikes or ladders or ropes or even the online safe houses.

ymgve posted:

It is just a Horizon Zero Dawn hologram connected to a customised player structure. No gameplay impact or story implications.

How do I get my game to put holograms from my playstation onto my stuff

Let me put a Morgana hologram up in this bitch.

edit: By the way, is it possible to go completely off track and head toward like, Florida, Maine or Georgia? Or does the game put up big walls or mountains that make that impossible

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Nov 10, 2019

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Communist Bear posted:

Having not played this game yet, I'm kind of on the fence about this, because it seems like by the time later people come round to play it, it's going to be incredibly easy to route through the game?

Stuff degrades over time and you're not grouped with all players, just a small number who are currently playing the game as well, from what I understand.

Solarflare
Apr 21, 2008
How does the online garage work? I would like to drop some vehicles into it instead of my own personal garage but I can't seem to figure out how.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The game also doles out stuff built by other players very intelligently. Before you connect an area to the network you can't see other peoples' structures at all so everybody has to hoof it the hard way their first time. But once you do, connecting structures like highways are built slowly as you do more plot missions or deliveries in the area, a giant world spanning highway isn't gonna just pop up as soon as you reach a waystation.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Stuff degrades over time and you're not grouped with all players, just a small number who are currently playing the game as well, from what I understand.

Ahh right, fair enough.

I'm not against the idea, just would like the challenge plus satisfaction of helping out myself.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Is there a streamer who plays this that would be good to watch? I’d like to watch some of the game before I buy it.

I know what you all said but I still want to watch some first

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Bean posted:

Is there a streamer who plays this that would be good to watch? I’d like to watch some of the game before I buy it.

Cohh and Lirik are playing it still, Cohh is playing it right now and lirik will log in a few minutes

Lanth
Jun 15, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

ymgve posted:

Definitely check on BB at the start of chapter 8.

Chapter EIGHT?

So uh, I've been in chapter 3 for two days now building roads and delivering packages, even went back to the first area to find new stuff like the musician in the mountains.

Maybe I should move on.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

he1ixx posted:

Yeah I watch a lot of Let's Plays and this would be a rough one to watch and I think would sap all enjoyment out of the game. Also you completely lose any sense of self-driven discovery which is how I've been playing it, luckily I went in completely blind and as it unfurled I was like 'carrying boxes? uh ok' and now I'm really liking where its going.

I understand why people watch games to figure out if the game is for them or not but this game really isn't to it IMO.

Counterpoint: Games cost $60.

void_serfer fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Nov 10, 2019

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret

Bean posted:

How can you be a whore for likes but still not have the game yet?

E- I guess you do what the hell?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Bean posted:

I've been streaming it and people say it's been very different than the way "big name" streamers are doing it. I'm soaking in the atmosphere, taking the game at the pace it expects you to, and I actually care about it and pay attention. Hopefully that's enough of a sell.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

CJacobs posted:

The game also doles out stuff built by other players very intelligently. Before you connect an area to the network you can't see other peoples' structures at all so everybody has to hoof it the hard way their first time. But once you do, connecting structures like highways are built slowly as you do more plot missions or deliveries in the area, a giant world spanning highway isn't gonna just pop up as soon as you reach a waystation.
Which makes me wonder if any of it is actually real or if it's just really clever game design to make the world feel like it's being built up slowly by the community. It would be nice if it prioritized items from people in your friends list or something so you could get an idea if it's legit or not.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Death Stranding

Death Stranding

Dea Str

Dear Esther

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
You know when you first get the grenades in the first ?? hour or so, and mama says 'use them on a bt'? I can't loving get that mission done. So I go to the area it designates:

-I've killed floating BT's before they saw me, there.
-I've got caught and fought and killed (I assume this is what she wants, she says to harvest the crystals after you've killed one.)
-My harvest is always successful, meaning "I harvest some", but it doesn't count for the mission! The mission says I have 0 crystals for it, of 100.. I check to see that I'm in the mission area, too.

I'm on chapter 3 but I went back and saw this mission was still active. Can't figure it out.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I really need to sit down and play through Horizon someday, it felt too complex and intimidating at the time and I fell off after a couple hours :(

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I like the game so far. Kind of feels cheaty to have RT+LT remove half of the gameplay gimmicks though.

It reduces your speed to 90% of normal walking speed. Which isn't a big deal, until you start moving faster than normal walking speed.

tuo posted:

Regarding BT zones:

Until now, I never died to one of the mini bosses (I always chicken out and run). If they kill you, is there an actual crater? I can only assume that's why they are in fixed spots so it doesn't gently caress up the level geometry?

BTs are only in fixed spots in the early required missions. I mean, there are some spots where they always appear, but BT timefall can happen anywhere outside of a certain radius around delivery sites. No one in this thread has answered that question because we're all too good at video games apparently (It's pretty easy to avoid).

Macaluso posted:

Let me put a Morgana hologram up in this bitch.

Don't you think you should go to your private room?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I'm pretty good about horror elements not getting to me but in Chapter 3 in the room playing at like 3am and that thing happening when you randomly soothe BB startled the gently caress out of me.

redreader posted:

You know when you first get the grenades in the first ?? hour or so, and mama says 'use them on a bt'? I can't loving get that mission done. So I go to the area it designates:

-I've got caught and fought and killed (I assume this is what she wants, she says to harvest the crystals after you've killed one.)
-My harvest is always successful, meaning "I harvest some", but it doesn't count for the mission! The mission says I have 0 crystals for it, of 100.. I check to see that I'm in the mission area, too.

I'm on chapter 3 but I went back and saw this mission was still active. Can't figure it out.

I completed this one accidentally by getting caught and fighting/killing the whale. I assume there'll be a resource using it all up later but you get crazy amounts of chiral for it.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

redreader posted:

Hey, is there a voidout when this happens? Inquiring minds want to know.

The answer to your question is that as soon as you kill a floating BT a crystal will form beneath the spot where they died, that's the stuff mama wants.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't know if this always happens or not, but the first time I actually died after the initial mandatory death at the beginning of the game, the cutscene with BB giving the thumbs up showed his buttcheecks slam against the camera first before he flipped over and did the thumbs up. I laughed hard.

mythadile
Jun 19, 2005

CJacobs posted:

I've been streaming it and people say it's been very different than the way "big name" streamers are doing it. I'm soaking in the atmosphere, taking the game at the pace it expects you to, and I actually care about it and pay attention. Hopefully that's enough of a sell.

I've been watching!

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

redreader posted:

Are you donating your crystals to the base or using them upgrading buildings or something? Can’t see any other reason you would have literally zero crystals. Oh, also those floating luggage carts consume crystals when active, but not sure at a rate that would completely empty you out.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Minor spoilers: Mads Mikkelsen just wished me a happy birthday.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
i cannot comprehend anyone watching other people play a game on the internet. read a book, go outside, actually play the game idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

WatermelonGun posted:

i cannot comprehend anyone watching other people play a game on the internet. read a book, go outside, actually play the game idk

I like playing the video games and watching people play the video games. Welcome to the future, I'll read a book when I'm dead!!!!!!!!