Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scornful Sexbot
Sep 24, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
My Costco has an automated ordering kiosk for the food court now....skip the line and a hot dog appears???? Amazing. PBUC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

TheManWithNoName posted:

I think these are them. They are $70 in store, and they have three sizes/weigh limits.

https://www.costco.com/yukon-charlie's-pro-ii-series-930-snowshoes%2c-blue.product.100518470.html

I was looking at the Yukon Charlie ones at Costco years ago but saw some mediocre reviews. I ended up buying a pair of Atlas snowshoes at REI for half price at the end of the season instead.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I have my own pair of snowshoes. It's basically hiking but much more awkward, difficult, and loving freezing if you're in WI.

And unless you live in the Northwoods, Wisconsin hasn't gotten enough snow to use snowshoes in like 4 years. I've only used mine for crossing the lakes in the winter for a while now.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Scornful Sexbot posted:

My Costco has an automated ordering kiosk for the food court now....skip the line and a hot dog appears???? Amazing. PBUC

There's a chain of gas stations in Texas called Buc ee's that was one of the first to develop that system to deal with lineups. [They are big rear end travel centers, as in, no poo poo, 200 pumps, 100+ toilets in the washroom and a convenience store scaled up to the size of a small walmart]. They have a sandwich shop, deli and bbq on-site and all the orders are done through kiosks, so you print your ticket, and just wander around the aisles of snack foods and drinks until your food is ready.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Casu Marzu posted:

And unless you live in the Northwoods, Wisconsin hasn't gotten enough snow to use snowshoes in like 4 years. I've only used mine for crossing the lakes in the winter for a while now.

Yeah it's been bullshit lately. -50F (with windchill) and no snow. No x-country skiing or snowshoeing. I hope we get some snow this year.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Two Costco pizzas fed 6 guys for lunch at work wile we watch the games.

PBUC.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Yeah it's been bullshit lately. -50F (with windchill) and no snow. No x-country skiing or snowshoeing. I hope we get some snow this year.

It's supposed to be a SUPER wet winter, with milder temps, so yeah we're gonna get dumped on I THINK.

We've got some decent snow shoes too and the land to use them on, but they don't really ever seem to DO much for me, personally (and no I'm not some freakish land-whale or whatever) they just don't seem to do much for me :/ I'd rather just have good pitons for my regular-rear end boots most times I feel like.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Yeah it isn't anything really crazy. It's just walking but more difficult. I love useless gear and excuses to use it but I never do. I have like 10 backpacks that I don't use. My friend is addicted to knives that he never uses, I'm addicted to packs. No idea why.

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live
https://imgur.com/gallery/uWz56fE

true believers are born, not made

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Costco had Serrano hams for $99 (with rack and knife!) I assume that at that price, it’s going to be pretty low-quality ham, but I’m still tempted.

It’s a plus that you can just leave it out at room temperature for weeks and it’ll be okay. I told my wife I’d set it up next to the bed and cut off a slice whenever I wanted a snack, Homer Simpson-style; she was not amused

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Zombie Dachshund posted:

Costco had Serrano hams for $99 (with rack and knife!) I assume that at that price, it’s going to be pretty low-quality ham, but I’m still tempted.

It’s a plus that you can just leave it out at room temperature for weeks and it’ll be okay. I told my wife I’d set it up next to the bed and cut off a slice whenever I wanted a snack, Homer Simpson-style; she was not amused

You assume wrong

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Suxpool posted:

https://imgur.com/gallery/uWz56fE

true believers are born, not made

:worship:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

number 1 snake fan posted:

Kirkland pesto is hot garbage, it has hardly any basil in it ("basil blend" even, on the label) and is mostly crappy cheese filler. I made some pasta with it last night and had to use like 1/4 of the container to get any hint of green to the pasta.

Kirkland pesto used to be absolutely incredible in the late 90s through like 2003 and had a super strong fresh basil taste with lots of pine-nuts. they've reformulated it once or twice since then to make it have more cheap filler and less basil+less pine nuts, and i think it's latest formulation is quite meh for the reasons you say.

that said, i'm gunna disagree because I don't think it's hot garbage. it gets the job done for fairly cheap and it's perfectly edible, but it's nowhere near as incredible as it used to be. i usually do like half-tomato-based sauce and half-pesto sauce on pastas.

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

Xaris posted:

Kirkland pesto used to be absolutely incredible in the late 90s through like 2003 and had a super strong fresh basil taste with lots of pine-nuts. they've reformulated it once or twice since then to make it have more cheap filler and less basil+less pine nuts, and i think it's latest formulation is quite meh for the reasons you say.

that said, i'm gunna disagree because I don't think it's hot garbage. it gets the job done for fairly cheap and it's perfectly edible, but it's nowhere near as incredible as it used to be. i usually do like half-tomato-based sauce and half-pesto sauce on pastas.

Fair enough, i just like my pesto to taste like basil :shrug:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
yeah it used to have a really strong and potent basil taste to it. you could probably use a food processor or cut up a $1.99 bunch of basil and mix it in with the kirkland pesto i guess, but by then it's really not that hard to make with some pine nuts, garlic cloves, parm/pecorino, and olive oil and whip one up yourself. costco also sells a pretty large bag of pine nuts (which aren't cheap usually) for a reasonable/per oz price.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Stroopwaffels and weed are a dangerous combination, friends.

We keep a jar of the Kirkland pesto on hand at all times and have a bunch of frozen pesto cubes in the freezer to dress up our 3 year old's Costco spaghetti, Normandy blend and various Costco stuffed pastas. It's good for lazy dinners too, or mixed in with tomato sauce.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Xaris posted:

yeah it used to have a really strong and potent basil taste to it. you could probably use a food processor or cut up a $1.99 bunch of basil and mix it in with the kirkland pesto i guess, but by then it's really not that hard to make with some pine nuts, garlic cloves, parm/pecorino, and olive oil and whip one up yourself. costco also sells a pretty large bag of pine nuts (which aren't cheap usually) for a reasonable/per oz price.

Pro tip if you wanna mix things up sauce wise for pasta. Roast a bunch of bell peppers as your main base and do the above. Good as hell.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Hit up church today and just about everything we needed was on sale (plus some stuff we didn't need, but that's how she goes).

We got a tower heater, a set of Rubbermaid storage containers, silicone baking/roasting mats and more.

My only complaint was the clothing section.

Men's workout stuff is pretty good selection wise. The ladies section is pretty bunk in comparison.
I don't want velour gym pants.

And in the men's, holy hell I was spelunking through multiple stacks of XL/XXL workout pants until I found a medium pair (which are big on me, but I'm wearing them for layering and they have a drawstring).

Is that a normal thing with Costco, that S/M is hard to find?

Might go back for flannel pjs, because those looked pretty good in the women's section at least.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I usually find the bigger sizes go first and the smalls are left over. But I’m in the southeast and we’re fat down here.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah it really is a regional thing.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
My boss complains that he can never find smalls. I gotta dig for mediums but usually they're there. Southeast Michigan, just LOL if you think that the SE US has a monopoly on fatties.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
It seems like a lost opportunity to use that data to order a better distribution per location, and get more of the right sizes sold faster at full price. There was a full display of clothes at my local store that was all XXL.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016

Xaris posted:

hey thats my costco!! give it back

and it sucks

Is there a good North or East Bay Costco? The whole reason I stopped going was because Novato was an insane madhouse, even in the middle of a regular workday, that I decided the saving weren't worth it and just started waiting for sprouts 2-for-1 sales to stock up on things.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

StormDrain posted:

It seems like a lost opportunity to use that data to order a better distribution per location, and get more of the right sizes sold faster at full price. There was a full display of clothes at my local store that was all XXL.

Unfortunately that won't happen because they would have to completely change the way they order their clothing products. Each case of clothing they get in has a certain amount of each size in it, so something like 4 small, 6 medium, 8 large, 8XL, 6XXL.

If you can't find your size, the best thing you can do is see if there is an employee working in that area and ask if they have access to any back stock to look for your size. Typically all their clothing back stock is sitting underneath the tables where they have it merched at, but this time of year they have an incredibly absurd amount to clothing back stock on hand so it's probably easier said than done.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

LadyPictureShow posted:

Men's workout stuff is pretty good selection wise. The ladies section is pretty bunk in comparison.
I don't want velour gym pants.

And in the men's, holy hell I was spelunking through multiple stacks of XL/XXL workout pants until I found a medium pair (which are big on me, but I'm wearing them for layering and they have a drawstring).

Interesting that you feel that the men's section had more selection. I often feel the opposite. Also, I cannot think of any men's workout clothes I've ever seen at Costco that I'd want to use to workout.

I tend to be able to find medium shirts fairly easily, but I don't think they usually even carry smalls. Pants are a whole different manner. pants under 34" waist are very tough to find and very limited in length. This is especially odd where I live near Seattle because a huge percentage of Costco customers are immigrants from east of south Asia and the men tend to be pretty small.

StormDrain posted:

Yea, I'd love to think that there are some brilliant minds at work on algorithms for this stuff based on past sales in stores, etc. but I suspect that's not actually the case. I'm not actually sure that they can even track what sizes sell first.

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Nov 11, 2019

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Interesting that you feel that the men's section had more selection. I often feel the opposite. Also, I cannot think of any men's workout clothes I've ever seen at Costco that I'd want to use to workout.

My co didn't have any straight up womens like, 'warmup pants'. There were leggings, windpants, weird Sherpa sort of pants and like I said velour ones.

Men's section on the other hand had exactly the sort of thing I was looking for, fleece-lined pants I can pull over my workout gear to walk over to the gym.

E: I'm in the DMV, maybe the women's selection is better in other regions

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

life is a joke posted:

Is there a good North or East Bay Costco? The whole reason I stopped going was because Novato was an insane madhouse, even in the middle of a regular workday, that I decided the saving weren't worth it and just started waiting for sprouts 2-for-1 sales to stock up on things.
where do you live? Rohnert Park costco used to be my go-to when i was living and growing up in sonoma county; it helps there's a santa rosa costco like 5 miles up the road which gets a lot busier an eats most of the crowd whereas the RP one is a little more low-key

Richmond one is fine if you go at like 8PM on a tuesday or before the doors open on a weekend, but the food court and checkout situation is real bad and annoying

san ramon one is ok, but it's lost of very rich white-flight boomers in a kinda small lot. also no gas.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

LadyPictureShow posted:

Might go back for flannel pjs, because those looked pretty good in the women's section at least.
It's regional but yeah the ca costcos here it's usually swimming in entire display full of XL-XXLs. smalls are super rare and mediums can sometimes be hit or miss depending on if it's a limited-run item and it's popular/on a sale. they do keep the overstock in boxes under the clothing that you can rummage through and see if there's any extras. i've had mixed luck doing that but sometimes paid off.

same with finding pants that are 30-32 with the right length because they don't get many. i solved that problem by becoming fat and fitting into a 33-4 :c00l:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Yea, I'd love to think that there are some brilliant minds at work on algorithms for this stuff based on past sales in stores, etc. but I suspect that's not actually the case. I'm not actually sure that they can even track what sizes sell first.

They'd need different UPCs per size. I'm sure the other poster is right and it's just a big box of sizes and we are on a national level size distribution. I should do the opposite thing and see what the obesity rate per County is and do my clothes shopping in the fat part of town to get discounted mediums.

Edit:It's Adams County in Colorado and there are none. Closest is the SE Denver one NEAR Arapahoe County, #4 fattest.

StormDrain fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Nov 11, 2019

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

LadyPictureShow posted:

S&M can be found anywhere, if you're determined enough.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Laterite posted:

S&M can be found anywhere, if you're determined enough.

Goes well with the thread title.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
The first episode of Rick and Morty season 4 features a Kirkland Meeseeks box.

In the show's universe, a Meseeks is basically a genie that comes from a box. It looks like this:

In this episode, Rick's Meeseeks boxes are stolen, and he says "all that's left is these (beep) Kirklands Meeseeks boxes!

He summons a Meeseeks and it's a smoking teenager who says "what do you want" in a "I don't give a gently caress" bored tone.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
cursed

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Trip report: bought a car battery from the Tire Store (should be called Tire and Battery Store) and I got $15 back for giving them my old battery.

Praise Be Unto Costco

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
What would you buy at costco in the year 3000?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

nutrition cubes for my depth grovellers mining for neoplasmin

also a hotdog and a soda

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

A $$4.99 rotisserie megacricket

Good eating, those megacrickets

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

Welp, it happened anyway:

https://twitter.com/azfamily/status/1194017552592076800

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

That's actually the queue for the food court.