Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

"I know I was a good parent because my son apologized to me repeatedly for being a failure right before he killed himself" is a loving impressive bit of mental gymnastics for sure. Makes me sick to think about that poor guy's life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Probably as much because younger people have less money to go out and buy drugs and grew up in isolated suburban hell so they don't have any idea where to even buy drugs.

Though I'd wager it's like the alcohol statistics where 10% of the people consume 90% of the substances.

I think there's better understanding these days of the dangers of alcohol and drugs. When I was growing up, for instance, there was literally no understanding of the danger of opiates. Tons of my classmates got hooked by stealing pills from uncaring parents, and in general no one truly realized what they were setting themselves up for. Certainly as far as that issue goes public awareness has been raised by leaps and bounds over the past ten years

I'm 31 and I'll still pretty much take anything on the right night and in the right situation, but I don't go looking for it anymore and I've realized that a lot of the time drugs actually bring more pain and discomfort than actual pleasure.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

that's more of a function of you personally being 31 and not 16, it's not that the simple peasants of the year 2004 had no concept that Vicodin could be addictive

also the US is in the middle of a gigantic oxy epidemic rn

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

that's more of a function of you personally being 31 and not 16, it's not that the simple peasants of the year 2004 had no concept that Vicodin could be addictive

Yes... that's exactly what I'm saying. Understandings of the risk has skyrocketed because of the epidemic, and I was in high school right as that epidemic was starting. I didn't get away unscathed either.

I can absolutely guarantee that people did not have nearly the same clue they do now, now that they've read a million news articles and probably seen family and friends lost to the drug. A lot has changed in that time, an oxy user in high school today is more likely to be shunned than anything else and that was... not the case before.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

purple death ray posted:

"I know I was a good parent because my son apologized to me repeatedly for being a failure right before he killed himself" is a loving impressive bit of mental gymnastics for sure. Makes me sick to think about that poor guy's life
It's probably the worst thing I've ever seen on that site.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

trickybiscuits posted:

It's probably the worst thing I've ever seen on that site.

You'll also notice how she breezes past it, and the other suicide and suicide attempts by people close to her.

These are just more incidents proving HER pain, and HER martyrdom, and how SHE is the good one. As she moves on to the important point, which is her adult granddaughter is a bitch, and she won't be giving her any more money from now on.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Rush Limbaugh's OxyContin scandal was in 2006 and I'd never heard of the stuff. There's been a ton of evidence produced since then showing that pharmaceutical companies downplayed the addictive risk of opioids in their literature and sales pitches. If you had a wisdom tooth pulled in 2006, you'd probably get 20-30 Vicodin prescribed to you. My kidney stone 2 years ago made me vomit from the pain I was in. I got Tylenol 3, the handjob of pain pill prescriptions.

Pill addiction was not highlighted anywhere near the way it is now. You only read about it in articles about deep Appalachia and such.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
when i had my wisdom teeth removed i got a script for Vicodin worth about 10 doses. i had one, went to sleep, and asked my mom for more when i woke up sore. she said i was clearly becoming addicted and confiscated the rest.

she kept sleeping in that week :thunk:

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

trickybiscuits posted:

Boyfriends liked me drunk! Husbands loved me drunk.

The saddest eight-word short story, aside from possibly "son's suicide note shows I'm a good mom"

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Antivehicular posted:

The saddest eight-word short story, aside from possibly "son's suicide note shows I'm a good mom"

Goddamnit we just had the title changed.

On pills chat: Long Island got nuked by opioids in the past 20 years. I remember kids just going into medicine cabinets and having a grand ol time with whatever their parents were prescribed, hell I messed around with pills in HS too. Prescribed Vicodin for my tonsils, that was some good times, and when this kid got these mysterious blue pills and shared them, turns out you can’t write essays in US history taking three loving Percocets two periods prior. I remember getting back the essay, seeing the intro i wrote grow less coherent and then a stray pen mark....and then blank.

gently caress, a ton of kids messed around with pills because we couldn’t smoke pot (which we would have rather done hands down) without having our lives obliterated and drinking was a challenge, so pills that were easily accessible and bountiful were what we could do. And when that was noticed, it turned hard into heroin. I can’t begin to tell you how many people have died from HS because of an OD or been in and out of poo poo because of opioids.

Lol if you thought families and the community at large had a remotely sympathetic understanding of addiction. Honestly I think that exacerbated the loving crisis more than any substance could have.

As for myself? I don’t turn down anything for the most part (minus meth and LSD), but I know to keep it in check. I’ll stick with my daily cannabis usage because that with my antidepressants loving work. I can do without cannabis, but I don’t do well without it. And let’s be honest, I loving love drugs, I just can’t do it every day of my life because I also love my apartment, my cats, my boyfriend, having a job waaaay more than blowing it all on coke.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Teen Witch this is your rodeo but Im happy to change the title whenever you want.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Barudak posted:

Teen Witch this is your rodeo but Im happy to change the title whenever you want.

Keep it as is, and yee haw

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
This thread is certainly full of bull.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Beachcomber posted:

Oh don’t hold back, how so

Ebeneezer Splooge
Nov 2, 2018

teen witch posted:

Goddamnit we just had the title changed.

On pills chat: Long Island got nuked by opioids in the past 20 years. I remember kids just going into medicine cabinets and having a grand ol time with whatever their parents were prescribed, hell I messed around with pills in HS too. Prescribed Vicodin for my tonsils, that was some good times, and when this kid got these mysterious blue pills and shared them, turns out you can’t write essays in US history taking three loving Percocets two periods prior. I remember getting back the essay, seeing the intro i wrote grow less coherent and then a stray pen mark....and then blank.

gently caress, a ton of kids messed around with pills because we couldn’t smoke pot (which we would have rather done hands down) without having our lives obliterated and drinking was a challenge, so pills that were easily accessible and bountiful were what we could do. And when that was noticed, it turned hard into heroin. I can’t begin to tell you how many people have died from HS because of an OD or been in and out of poo poo because of opioids.

Lol if you thought families and the community at large had a remotely sympathetic understanding of addiction. Honestly I think that exacerbated the loving crisis more than any substance could have.

As for myself? I don’t turn down anything for the most part (minus meth and LSD), but I know to keep it in check. I’ll stick with my daily cannabis usage because that with my antidepressants loving work. I can do without cannabis, but I don’t do well without it. And let’s be honest, I loving love drugs, I just can’t do it every day of my life because I also love my apartment, my cats, my boyfriend, having a job waaaay more than blowing it all on coke.

Your story sounds like my home town. I think a lot of places in America have experienced the youth progressing from pills to heroin.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

teen witch posted:

Whoa there pardner.

I’m pretty sure Beachcomber was referring to the stories from the Rejected Parents, not the posts of goons in these here parts.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Ebeneezer Splooge posted:

Your story sounds like my home town. I think a lot of places in America have experienced the youth progressing from pills to heroin.

Not just the youth, I hear basically the common story is that once the prescriptions run out, heroin is far easier to get at any age.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

teen witch posted:

Proteus Jones posted:

Whoa there pardner.

I’m pretty sure Beachcomber was referring to the stories from the Rejected Parents, not the posts of goons in these here parts.

It's this.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Beachcomber posted:

Would you say it's...general(ly) bullshit?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

13Pandora13 posted:

Would you say it's...general(ly) bullshit?

That doesn't really fit with the 'rodeo' theme, but sure

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

Teen witch, did you grow up in south florida because that sounds incredibly similar to my own experiences growing up there. The first time my friends and I saw pills we considered it a strange novelty but it didnt take long before people in my friend group were stealing from eachother and exchanging sexual favours from eachother to get another hit (because of course the preferred method of consumption was freebasing.)

I moved away but occasionally I visit and anytime I ask how so and so is doing, I'm told they are either dead from an OD or on their way to one with heroin.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

DamnitGannet posted:

Teen witch, did you grow up in south florida because that sounds incredibly similar to my own experiences growing up there. The first time my friends and I saw pills we considered it a strange novelty but it didnt take long before people in my friend group were stealing from eachother and exchanging sexual favours from eachother to get another hit (because of course the preferred method of consumption was freebasing.)

I moved away but occasionally I visit and anytime I ask how so and so is doing, I'm told they are either dead from an OD or on their way to one with heroin.

Nope, Long Island, NY!

Also apologies beachcomber. I need a post lock from Midnight to 5 am, so I’m not misinterpreting poo poo.

Ebeneezer Splooge
Nov 2, 2018

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Not just the youth, I hear basically the common story is that once the prescriptions run out, heroin is far easier to get at any age.

Very true. Easier access and usually cheaper than prescriptions!

Truniht
Jan 10, 2019

Is it really a surprise when Pharma can just flood the market with them and cover up complications with the help of the FDA

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Truniht posted:

Is it really a surprise when Pharma can just flood the market with them and cover up complications with the help of the FDA

I was just reading a story about some little nowheresville town of like 15,000 people that received shipments totalling something like 2,500,000 pills of some opioid last year. My numbers are wrong, but the real numbers were absolutely ridiculous, just like my half-remembered ones.

Sailor Cat
Aug 28, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

I was just reading a story about some little nowheresville town of like 15,000 people that received shipments totalling something like 2,500,000 pills of some opioid last year. My numbers are wrong, but the real numbers were absolutely ridiculous, just like my half-remembered ones.

Here's what's crazy: there are like dozens of examples that your description fits, as vague as it is. But this is probably the specific one you're thinking of, in rural West Virginia.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on
I feel like I picked a bad time to have a falling out with my mom's side of the family. This started like a month and a half ago and now multiple holidays are looming and I just know that me not wanting to attend is going to cause even more bullshit. "But it's the HOLIDAYS! God you won't even see your family on THANKSGIVING!"

I told everyone that I wanted to talk to a therapist before meeting back up; not knowing if I was just buying time or not. Conversation w/ any of them won't be productive and will just lead to me being "honest" about how being around them is like steam slowly filling a kettle until I want to scream into a pillow. I'll explode into a diatribe about how ignorant and petty they are, how insulting it is to constantly be berated for being naive from a bunch of uneducated, angry Midwesterners who seldom leave their comfort bubble.

The place I called said I'd hear back in 3 weeks after insurance was verified. After a month of not hearing a word I called them and they said I was declined because my insurance number wasn't found. It was off a digit, so I gave them the correct one and again told I'd hear back. It's been just over 3 weeks again so I'm sure I'll have to call again this coming week to see what the hell is going on. Since apparently they won't call to tell me if I'm approved or not. I don't have money really, so it's a matter of finding the small fraction of places that take Medicare like this place.

What also feels bad is that I'll probably see my dad's family. But I can't help that being around some family is okay/enjoyable and other family makes me sad and hopeless about the world right? I can't help that my mom's side of the family has all but fractured off into nothingness leaving only the aggressively ignorant boomer types behind for me to interact with. Surely there's a reason family occasions for that family are now just at most: my grandparents, my mom/stepdad, my uncle and the mistress he married, and maybe myself. Can't help but feel bad for when mom's family inevitably finds out I spent all my holiday time with the other though.

Happy Holidays, thread!

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
Go see your dad's family without guilt or shame. Ignore mom's ever-dwindling family and let them stew in their "ok boomer" misery. You get to choose who is worth seeing.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

vortmax posted:

Go see your dad's family without guilt or shame. Ignore mom's ever-dwindling family and let them stew in their "ok boomer" misery. You get to choose who is worth seeing.
Seconding that you have no obligation to spend time with family who make you miserable. You're an adult, you get to choose how to spend your holidays.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

When I was in bootcamp I got my wisdom teeth removed and they just gave me a weeks worth or so of vicodin. Pretty much everyone who got extensive dental work was prescribed vicodin. One guy in our division was kicked out for trying to buy someone else's pills. This was in 2009.

I'm not sure if the policies have changed since then, but recruits were given pain killers like they were candy.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Grimdude posted:

I can't help that my mom's side of the family has all but fractured off into nothingness leaving only the aggressively ignorant boomer types behind for me to interact with. Surely there's a reason family occasions for that family are now just at most: my grandparents, my mom/stepdad, my uncle and the mistress he married, and maybe myself.

Sounds like they've been doing this to themselves for some time now. Don't give them the satisfaction of using you against other family members that have ditched and saying poo poo like "Well Grimdude still makes it every year! Why can't you?"

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
Yeah Grimdude if your dad and his family are cool you don't need to feel any guilt about "fairness" or whatever about hanging out with them. We spend like 50x more time with my family over my wife's, mostly because they're nowhere near us, but also because they are just not that nice.

ElHuevoGrande
May 21, 2006

Oh. . .

Elderbean posted:

When I was in bootcamp I got my wisdom teeth removed and they just gave me a weeks worth or so of vicodin. Pretty much everyone who got extensive dental work was prescribed vicodin. One guy in our division was kicked out for trying to buy someone else's pills. This was in 2009.

I'm not sure if the policies have changed since then, but recruits were given pain killers like they were candy.

The first time my back went out in the Navy, they gave me 2 weeks of vicodin and 60 days of muscle relaxers, and made no mention of physical therapy. Civilian docs now are slack jawed appalled when I tell them how much vicodin I would be left with after minor procedures.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Elderbean posted:

I had a cousin pass away in 2009due to ODing (for the second time!) on hydro and Oxy.

Back then she and her ex-husband bounced around doctor shopping and making up various maladies and boom, got pain killers like they were Skittles.

It's interesting how so much of my extended family looks down their nose at the opioid epidemic and says poo poo like 'They shouldn't give those junkies Narcan' y'know, considering we had a family member die from it.

And also, number one, nobody really brings my cousin up, or if they do, nobody points out she died from an opioid OD. Just sweep it under the rug like everything else.

Her mom tried her damnedest to get her help for it, and go figure, she's one of the few family members I still have high regard for (not just for that, but in general).

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Grimdude posted:

I feel like I picked a bad time to have a falling out with my mom's side of the family.

"This hurts me more than it hurts you, but if you don't have to face consequences for your actions you're never going to learn. Happy Holidays, Mom."

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Grimdude posted:

I feel like I picked a bad time to have a falling out with my mom's side of the family. This started like a month and a half ago and now multiple holidays are looming and I just know that me not wanting to attend is going to cause even more bullshit. "But it's the HOLIDAYS! God you won't even see your family on THANKSGIVING!"
Earlier in the thread someone said that people like this tend to cling to external things like money and nice cars and stuff because they can't actually have real relationships so maybe it's the same with holidays- they have to have everyone come over to THEIR house and eat the dinner THEY made and spend two hours doing the white elephant exchange that THEY planned and everything has to be nice and picture-perfect because if they don't have that to cling to then there's nothing else.

gently caress it. Go be with your nice family members who make you happy and tell your crummy family members that their awfulness is so bad that you can't get over it even for a couple of hours. And go easy on yourself too because the holidays are stressful.

Also maybe you can get subsidized therapy at a hospital or something. The place I went to for years would do that if your income was below a certain point.

quote:

Today is one of those days that I briefly forgot that I am estranged from my adopted daughter and I went into worried mom mode. The trigger was an article about daughter that is suspected of foul play with her own child. It made me google my daughter to see if she made the news. I’m okay though remembering didn’t make me cry but just a tiny ping of sadness hit my heart for a second. I’m trying very hard to live my own life with no expectations of a relationship ever again. I am somewhat fortunate that my case is different in that I adopted an older child. I can kind of put the years she was with me in a box. I was a good mom when she let me do my job. I miss those times. I can’t say I miss her disrespectful mouth. I still have this sense that I’m going to get a call one day that something horrible has happened to her. Maybe I will never get a call. I just can’t waste the time in between those two possible outcomes worrying day and night. I’ll take this day and add it to the imaginary box that holds our relationship.
"Shut up and get out of my way while I parent you!"

quote:

Hi, my adult DD has returned home to live with us (with her partner) while they save for the down payment on a house. Things have seemed off with her since they moved in and last week I was asked to go to her counselor session with her. At that session I was told that I had purposely ignored all of her feelings as a teenager, that she was crying out for help and I was too busy with myself. She also added that she no longer trusts that if anything went wrong in her life now that I would not just ignore her needs again.

My truth – I was a single Mom who gave too much as I was trying to make up for her father not being around. When she was a teen I decided to re-partner and she treated my DH terribly. I transferred her school to get her out of a bad crowd, sent her to a psychologist only to be told it was normal teenage rebellion and not to worry about it, and my DH and I went to step parenting group to learn as much as we could so we did it right.

I feel she has some other issues that has bought this on, otherwise why wait for 10+ years to raise it? I also feel she is manipulating me and being very unfair and hurtful. If I don’t care about her needs, why have I let her and her partner move in rent free?

We are scheduled to have another appointment next week and while I want to keep our relationship as good as it can be, I feel I need to tell her that she has hurt me, that she needs to take responsibility for her actions too and also that she needs to respect us in our home (she mostly comes home every evening and goes straight to her room for the night). She has always been very moody and I am scared that she will distance herself if I say anything, but if I don’t – I will end up walking on eggshells for the rest of my life.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

trickybiscuits posted:

Earlier in the thread someone said that people like this tend to cling to external things like money and nice cars and stuff because they can't actually have real relationships so maybe it's the same with holidays- they have to have everyone come over to THEIR house and eat the dinner THEY made and spend two hours doing the white elephant exchange that THEY planned and everything has to be nice and picture-perfect because if they don't have that to cling to then there's nothing else.

This was my family. We didn't celebrate holidays. We hit bullet points.

quote:

Today is one of those days that I briefly forgot that I am estranged from my adopted daughter and I went into worried mom mode. The trigger was an article about daughter that is suspected of foul play with her own child. It made me google my daughter to see if she made the news. I’m okay though remembering didn’t make me cry but just a tiny ping of sadness hit my heart for a second. I’m trying very hard to live my own life with no expectations of a relationship ever again. I am somewhat fortunate that my case is different in that I adopted an older child. I can kind of put the years she was with me in a box. I was a good mom when she let me do my job. I miss those times. I can’t say I miss her disrespectful mouth. I still have this sense that I’m going to get a call one day that something horrible has happened to her. Maybe I will never get a call. I just can’t waste the time in between those two possible outcomes worrying day and night. I’ll take this day and add it to the imaginary box that holds our relationship.

How did she get through the adoption process? Were they just throwing babies off the back of a bus? LOL at thinking "worried mom mode" is watching the news about some sort of human tragedy and hoping it's your own daughter.

quote:

She has always been very moody and I am scared that she will distance herself if I say anything, but if I don’t – I will end up walking on eggshells for the rest of my life.

This person can either be constantly spewing poo poo and starting fights or walking on eggshells. There is no in-between. Seriously though daughter needs to live somewhere that isn't soul-killing.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

trickybiscuits posted:

Today is one of those days that I briefly forgot that I am estranged from my adopted daughter and I went into worried mom mode. The trigger was an article about daughter that is suspected of foul play with her own child. It made me google my daughter to see if she made the news
"Shut up and get out of my way while I parent you!"

It's apparent that estranged mom has so much love for her adopted (need to throw that qualifier in why?) daughter so much that the first thing she does when hearing about a mother committing one of the most heinous crimes imaginable is check not to see if her daughter was the one they're all talking about, but if she's in the news for any reason

:piss:

(This is assuming that when she says the trigger was an article about "daughter" she meant "woman" and had a giant Freudian slip; it's even more weirdly written if the article was about her daughter though that might explain why she was so eager to put "adopted" in there.)

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Admiralty Flag posted:

(This is assuming that when she says the trigger was an article about "daughter" she meant "woman" and had a giant Freudian slip; it's even more weirdly written if the article was about her daughter though that might explain why she was so eager to put "adopted" in there.)

These people always make sure everyone knows their child is adopted so they can be constantly praised for adopting a child and also constantly reminding said child of how much they have done for them. I grew up near a family that had adopted children. If they hadn't told everyone, no one would have guessed their first son was adopted. The kid could have grown up and gone to school without the stigma of being adopted. But that would have benefited the kid, not the parents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Elderbean posted:

Wisdom teeth pulled in bootcamp in 1991. I got loving Motrin and 3 days of light duty.

GORDON fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Nov 11, 2019