Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Watched Godzilla 54 with my roommate, he dug it a lot. It’s an incredible film. (I’ve seen it before and own the first criterion Blu Ray for it)

Excited to keep pushing through this series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0Y3Udr8p0A&hd=1&t=1198s

I may have played this mission a dozen times, just because it was so drat fun punching the poo poo out of a dozen notzillas

I didn't even need to click that link in order to know that I'll be humming "To save our mother earth from any alien attacks..." for the rest of the day. That was such a great game.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

God I love this giant rear end-book. It's fantastic and worthy of being #1000 in Criterions collection. Me and my bro are going to watch Destroy All Monsters with the dub since that was our first exposure to him as kids when my parents taped it. That movie cemented my love for big-G.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

the PS4 Godzilla game has various G’s including Legendary’s take on it. It’s.... not a great game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yygZllHk6vY

If you’re looking for Godzilla content outside of the movie I will always recommend some/most of the Godzilla comic books. things like Half Century War and Godzilla in Hell are loving fantastic.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Unleashed may've had parade balloon physics, a story mode where fighting monsters and collecting power ups gave you the bad ending, a lot of bugs and oddities, and directly lead to me getting disappointed by Kaiju Combat, but I still can't help but love it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

There hasn't even been a Godzilla game with a morality system yet. Get with the times, Toho!

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Detective No. 27 posted:

There hasn't even been a Godzilla game with a morality system yet. Get with the times, Toho!

This...actually sounds pretty good. You could be classic kill all humans Godzilla, indifferent force of nature Godzilla, or goofy 70s heroic Godzilla depending on how much human destruction you cause.

Bad Big G has to deal with the humans' Mechagodzilla, Good G has to defend the earth from Ghidorah or whatever.

Make it happen computer game people

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
That was legit Godzilla Unleashed, though.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

The best Godzilla game was the old NES one and it had wicked music covers and references to other movies

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The music in that game was covers? I had no idea. I played the poo poo out of it and eventually beat it but I remember it making me cry cause it was so goddamn loving hard later on.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Vince MechMahon posted:

Ancient people weren't destroying the planet via climate change so the Kaiju had no reason to care about them.

There’s moderately strong evidence that anthropogenic influence on warming was significant by the middle neolithic, mostly from clearing forest for pasture and agricultural land with fire

Vintersorg posted:

God I love this giant rear end-book. It's fantastic and worthy of being #1000 in Criterions collection. Me and my bro are going to watch Destroy All Monsters with the dub since that was our first exposure to him as kids when my parents taped it. That movie cemented my love for big-G.

For the people who have the box set, which films have dubs? All of them? The same ones as the Criterion Channel?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The Bee posted:

directly lead to me getting disappointed by Kaiju Combat, but I still can't help but love it.
boy is that not something I wanted to be reminded of

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Vintersorg posted:

The music in that game was covers? I had no idea. I played the poo poo out of it and eventually beat it but I remember it making me cry cause it was so goddamn loving hard later on.

The original Japanese cart had music that was all chiptune versions of the Ifukube stuff, the US release changed it.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Kind of odd how little is known about Godzilla vs Kong this close to release date.

Then again, I guess we didn't even get a G14 teaser until Dec 2013, with a May release next year

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Kind of odd how little is known about Godzilla vs Kong this close to release date.

Then again, I guess we didn't even get a G14 teaser until Dec 2013, with a May release next year

I'm guessing they want to play it safe with GvK's trailers

Violator
May 15, 2003

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I was thinking about this last night. In addition to the trailers, what are they changing after pushing back the release date and getting the audience feedback from KOTM?

Pyswagoras
Oct 4, 2013

Violator posted:

I was thinking about this last night. In addition to the trailers, what are they changing after pushing back the release date and getting the audience feedback from KOTM?

I don't think they actually pushed the release date back, did they?

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Pyswagoras posted:

I don't think they actually pushed the release date back, did they?

Not officially, but many people are saying that it's...odd... that a theoretically big movie like this hasn't had any marketing when we're a little over 4 months from the theoretical release date.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

What? It was supposed to be out in March?

Wow. That's... pretty soon.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Ah, there was just speculation that it was going to be delayed based on some interviews the head of WB did.

https://comicbook.com/anime/2019/06/09/godzilla-vs-kong-possible-delay-2020/

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Barry Foster posted:

This...actually sounds pretty good. You could be classic kill all humans Godzilla, indifferent force of nature Godzilla, or goofy 70s heroic Godzilla depending on how much human destruction you cause.

Bad Big G has to deal with the humans' Mechagodzilla, Good G has to defend the earth from Ghidorah or whatever.

Make it happen computer game people

Have the disco Elysium people make it

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Burkion posted:

boy is that not something I wanted to be reminded of

You got burned too, eh Burk?

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
:getin:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Wish we could use front license plates here without our number. :(

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Could always get a sticker made for it?

https://twitter.com/floofyfluff/status/1192857390133252097

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Godzilla Raids Again is really, really bad. Its just bad Godzilla footage bolted onto a B movie about pilots working for a fishery. How did they possibly end up on thatas the way to follow up Gojira?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Shiroc posted:

Godzilla Raids Again is really, really bad. Its just bad Godzilla footage bolted onto a B movie about pilots working for a fishery. How did they possibly end up on thatas the way to follow up Gojira?

:10bux:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Shiroc posted:

It was greenlit at a party a couple weeks after the original hit theaters, Honda wasn’t available to direct, and it was completed and released in theaters less than 6 months after Godzilla ‘54. It’s honestly impressive that they were able to cobble together an entire movie so quickly.

It’s definitely poo poo, but the silver lining is that the new suit they created for it was way more mobile and comfortable and would go on to be a sort of prototype for later suits.

funky not a junkie
Aug 5, 2011
I really like the Godzilla vs Anguirus fight though, it’s more in the style of some old documentary or something

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

funky not a junkie posted:

I really like the Godzilla vs Anguirus fight though, it’s more in the style of some old documentary or something

Yeah, I watched it for the first time last night, and their brawl was great. The rest, not so much.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

The whole ice island finale drags for so long. There are good moments though, and I like the perspective of it being about the working every man interacting with Godzilla when normally it's scientists/journalists/government officials and the like.

I have a Godzilla question which I'm trying to find info on, which maybe one of the learned regulars of this thread can help with? For the vast majority of the Godzilla films, there is a director (e.g Ishiro Honda) and a Special Effect Director (e.g Eiji Tsuburaya). Most of what I've read suggests that the director handles all the human stuff, and the special effects director handles the monster sequences. How big is the differential between the two? Does the director still have the the final creative authority over the monster sequences, while the special effects director is just focused on executing said directors' vision? Does the special effects director have control over camera placement and framing or are they just there to execute the effects while the director is on set actually directing the action? Or is the special effects director given largely creative control over how these sequences play out with the director mainly keeping out of it? In most of the Godzilla films, the humans don't really interact very much with the monsters, so it would be easy for there almost to be two productions going on concurrently, one which is solely the monsters and the other which is the human stuff, which can be bought together in the final edit. Basically I'm just curious about the extent of the collaboration, and how it works. Because if the director of the film is not present for the creation of the special effects sequences and it's entirely the special effects directors creative vision, then is there an argument that the special effects director should be thought of more as a co-director, as they are crafting the sequences that people know and remember the most.

I understand this might not actually have an easy answer and may depend on each individual collaboration and how it plays out. One director may be happy to let the special effects director handle those sequences entirely while another maybe more hands-on in order to maintain a consistency of vision. I'm just curious if there's any solid word on this.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Whoo that's a good question.

Generally speaking, the director works hand in hand with the special effects director to make sure that everything lines up with how the movie should play out. But the special effects team really take the reigns of how that works out, and it's pretty unique to that era of special effects as well.

What I mean by that is, normally in these movies, say Forbidden Planet, there's not a lot of difference. Most of all the effects are done in the moment, or are map paintings. Even the creature of Id and how its brought to life, that's mostly handled by the director since the actors are so involved with it and it's only on screen for a short time.

But for Godzilla movies, the special effects are more divorced from the human plot due to the scale. Honda is still on hand to oversee things and tell Tsuburaya what he wants, but often Tsuburaya was left to his own devices when it came to directing the monster scenes.

One related genre of film where there's an even bigger gulf are the Stop Motion Animation films. Those really do become a case of Two Directors, where the special effects eclipses the regular action, at least at first.

It's why you know the Beast From 20 Thousand Fathoms as a Ray Bradbury or Ray Harryhausen film, and not Eugene Lourie who was the actual director. It's why they're considered Harryhausen films, because even like, Jason and the Argonauts, which blends the special effects and human action infinitely better, and DID require a lot of overlap and careful coordination to make their stuff work...

You don't really think of it as a Don Chaffey film. It's a Ray Harryhausen film.

King Kong is a great example of how the two different sides can make for a stronger picture, as well. There's a movie with TWO directors, though most people only pay attention to Cooper, and Cooper didn't see Kong as sympathetic or anything at all in his ideas and planning.

Willis O'Brien is the one who took Kong and made him what he is.

This stopped being so prevalent after the 50s though as the ability to do special effects stopped being so specialized and more and more companies were able to do it, faster and easier. There was less A Guy and a small team directly responsible for bringing the fantastic to life, which in turn gives the main director more control over it as well.

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009
From what I've read the two parts of the production shoot concurrently, and there can be a significant degree of disconnect between the SFX and non-SFX director. The best example I can think of is during the shooting of King King vs. Godzilla Ishiro Honda apparently wasn't happy about Tsubaraya making the monster fights more cartoonish and lightening the tone of the film, but everything SFX-wise was ultimately Tsubaraya's decision and his preference for increasingly goofy fights won out.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
To be fair for Tsuburaya, that is also the tone that the script called for. The guy who wrote that film wanted to make things more fun and light hearted and less typical

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Thanks both, I think at least in my head then I am going to think of the special effects directors as co-directors because the character and spirit of the monster sequences are a strong attraction to the film. That's not to discredit the work of Honda, Fukuda, and Omori et al as they're vision does direct the overall tone of the whole work for me (and the human scenes do outweigh the monster scenes at least in length). But that dichotomy between the two is interesting at least. Harryhausen is a great example, I've seen Beast of 20,000 Fathoms a couple of times in the last five years but struggle to remember anything outside of the Rhedosaurus scenes.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Karloff posted:

Thanks both, I think at least in my head then I am going to think of the special effects directors as co-directors because the character and spirit of the monster sequences are a strong attraction to the film.

I’m still new to the thread, so bear with me if it’s been discussed here before, but there’s a really great book about Tsuburaya that goes into this a little more. A friend got it for me last year and I couldn’t put it down once I started. It’s definitely worth checking out if you can find it. The dude was an absolute genius with some incredibly talented guys working with him.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Another little MMD "film" from the people that made Anime!Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJSCI7TokvI

That's such a lovely Godzilla Earth model

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I didn’t like King Kong vs Godzilla, but I watched the US version and the cutaways where random
people in office buildings and their house start talking to no one about what’s happening.

Sucked rear end. The dubbing sucked rear end too.

I want to watch the original version

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKZmAq5Sves

Ah, I always love realistic sound design that makes your ears bleed because of course giant monsters are going to be ridiculously noisy when they're blowing one another to pieces

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Mondo is doing a bunch of shirts, a hoodie and long sleeve for G's 65th anniversary this Thursday. Also some pins.

https://mondotees.com/blogs/news/new-godzilla-apparel-collection

That Destroy All Monsters longsleeve is so loving rad.