Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Thanks from me, too. I've gotten really into birdwatching this year and this is the kind of neat little fact that I love sharing with my family, who have also recently started to enjoy learning about our local avians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

once u realize birbs are dinosaurs u never look at them the same way again

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

free hubcaps posted:

once u realize birbs are dinosaurs u never look at them the same way again

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

hell yeah

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Now imagine a chicken nugget so big you could sleep on it. Oooh yiss.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

speaking of fierce theropod friends this hot tamale was hanging out on a batbox in a local park I recently walked in after a rainstorm

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Telebite posted:

The one on the right is actually a male. Check the beak color. Yellow beak = male. He is in his eclipse plumage.

Thank you so much! A day where I learn something new is worth it, gonna carry that one with me for a long time.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I felt that everyone should see the two finalists in this year's fatbear competition because they are amazing.

https://twitter.com/KatmaiNPS/status/1181614836347621377

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I found this snake in my front yard

He had to be about 1 and a half feet long. I'm not sure what kind he is though. I live in south texas and we have a lot of snakes.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Some kind of water snake genus Nerodia, but I’m honestly not too familiar with which ones you guys have down there

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

my cat is norris posted:

Xposting from the Herp thread:

This toad friend still needs an ID. Any guesses?

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
I'm seeing way more crepuscular creatures on my morning run now that the days are getting shorter, but it's not ideal for photography.

This morning I spotted a deer along my running path for the first time ever, but it was way too dark down in the ravine and I didn't even realize what it was until it was in the trees.

One of my usual porcupines. Glad to see them after a long absence!

Spotted these coyotes in the field right behind a local college. I guess they had caught or scavenged a rabbit. I see coyotes all the time, but seeing three at once is rare, especially that close to buildings.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

my cat is norris posted:

This toad friend still needs an ID. Any guesses?

Looks like a California toad, Anaxyrus boreas, to me. I'm not an expert on west coast animals, but the two toads in that rough area are California toads and Yosemite toads. Yosemite toads don't typically have the line down the center.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

OneTwentySix posted:

Looks like a California toad, Anaxyrus boreas, to me. I'm not an expert on west coast animals, but the two toads in that rough area are California toads and Yosemite toads. Yosemite toads don't typically have the line down the center.

Okay thanks! I was trying to ID it with pictures from California Herps, is there a better source to learn from, or is it just practice?

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

I did the same thing. After seeing enough pictures or animals, you learn the differences, but I don't see western animals often. Basically, I just went through , narrowed it down by range, and then compared diagnostic features.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I went fishing all day and all i caught was this

dont worry i threw him back

I think this is called a Hardhead Catfish.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Hihohe posted:

I went fishing all day and all i caught was this

dont worry i threw him back

I think this is called a Hardhead Catfish.

Oh my god he's adorable. Crosspost from the hunting thread: I have been going scouting to find deer. Edited to exclude my gun/hunting stuff. Hope you guys enjoy this, I've added a few goodies just for you at the end.

Chaosfeather posted:

Some choice pictures from scouting last week:

And today: It's friggin hot and I was trapped in the open in 90 degree weather. I brought enough water but was an idiot and broke one of the bottles. Glad I made it back and it was a lovely day outside if you could make it to some shade. No sign or sightings of deer, but the coyotes were out in force.

I counted about 21 instances of coyote scat on the trail in 2.5 miles, some in very creative places.

:itwaspoo:

No water in the river nor the creek. I'm shocked are you shocked?

Still, some wildflowers were still alive despite the heat.

Made some friends. Not pictured: About a gajillion coyotes, a very chill and fat red diamond rattlesnake, lots of Plestiodon of unknown species - way too fast to photograph, and I was way too tired to try to catch them. A hornet's nest, lots of butterflies and some sort of green bee.

I am absolutely not above crouching next to a bush in the midday heat to get some shade. Just as long as there isn't anything that's going to bite and/or sting me (which often has a monopoly on the shade anyway).

My favorite native plants aren't the most charismatic, but I love em.

- Yes, I mean the parasite Dodder, not the poor host. It's too dry for them to be in full color right now, but this stuff gets bright orange when it's not so hot.

Some good dogs.

This was half-buried, looks like some coyote's old lunch. I just wanted to pull it out to make sure it wasn't someone's remains, since the trail I was on today is notorious for giving people heat problems. Both bones were returned.

More Super Soft Sage, Scholar of shady spots.

Additional Dodder

A very scary friend was discovered while taking this first picture.

I'm not super good at IDing plants yet, so all of my favorites are easy to spot and recognize. :blush:

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

That a tarantula burrow there in the background?

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

the yeti posted:

That a tarantula burrow there in the background?

We have them out here, but I rarely see them. Honestly it's hard for me to know who is currently occupying a burrow - could be a rattler, could be a hairy spider friend, could be rodents. Smaller holes could also be for scorpions. This was in the Laguna Mountains of San Diego.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hi thread.
Just idly wondered if critterquest was still a thing, and turns out it still is!
Here's a link to the original 2008 critterquest, for the OP: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2891409
A huge amount of the images are lost to waffle, but there's still some left.

As for relevance, hey. Wife and I went to Point Reyes in August and drove up the coast a little. Did some macro photos along the cliffside trail at the southern end of Goat Rock state beach.

These are all basically the RAWs, unedited or cropped or anything, because I'm feeling too lazy to do a good job.

Flickr album

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Awww those bumbles :kimchi:

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
It's getting colder outside so all the spiders are coming home to roost.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

I sadly do not have an ID picture, but earlier today I discovered that wasps can have hives in the ground. This doesn't shock me, it was just something I wasn't aware of before.

What did startle me is that they were out at nautical dawn. Not a lot of them, but they were. Was this because I was approaching the nest? I wasn't stung, but they definitely were starting to wake up and get agitated, so I left. This is my best guess to what happened, but I admit I don't know much about wasps because I'm terrified of the things, and perhaps they are just awake that early?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Chaosfeather posted:

I sadly do not have an ID picture, but earlier today I discovered that wasps can have hives in the ground. This doesn't shock me, it was just something I wasn't aware of before.

What did startle me is that they were out at nautical dawn. Not a lot of them, but they were. Was this because I was approaching the nest? I wasn't stung, but they definitely were starting to wake up and get agitated, so I left. This is my best guess to what happened, but I admit I don't know much about wasps because I'm terrified of the things, and perhaps they are just awake that early?
Indeed they can! You probably ran into a nest of yellowjackets, who are a common breed of social wasp that builds nests underground. Typically, they inhabit abandoned rodent dwellings.

Wasps usually start waking up at sunrise, but they are very territorial and will aggressively defend their nests when disturbed. Leaving was a good idea, because they might have attacked after trying to scare you off first. Since wasps deposit a pheromone on stinging that incites other wasps to also sting you, this can get pretty painful.

As long as you keep your distance from the nest and the nest doesn't get too big, they shouldn't bother you. They're curious and will examine you, particularly if you smell of food, but they won't normally sting unless provoked by swatting at them, for example.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Protip: stepping on the nest is bad and will cause you to feel bad.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Protip: stepping on the nest is bad and will cause you to feel bad.

Also from my experience, someone else stepping on the nest is bad and will cause you to feel bad even if you're like 100 feet away.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I think it’s a Cloudless Sulphur doot, but I’m not sure. He was on a Bahama Cassia.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

What a good black and yellow friend!

Thanks for the re:wasps. I didn't realize what I stepped past was a hive at first, due to there being literal hundreds of holes in the ground in that sort of environment, but I'm glad my instincts led me correctly in this case. Even if it meant I got spiked by some of the local foliage, I still count that as a significant improvement over "stung to death by wasps in the desert".

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

People have survived being stung literally thousands of times by anything from bees to hornets, so hey, at least that isn't something you need to be concerned about. Unless you're allergic, anyway.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I witnessed some banditry afoot on my patio but only managed to snag a photo of the perpetrator fleeing the scene:

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Yesterday was Deer Opener in San Diego! And now You'll get to see as much of the deer as I did!

(note I'm actually a tiny person and my hands are small, so this isn't super helpful for scale. More for my notes)

Tadah! Now for the other critters. Not pictured: Numerous moths, insects and bats eating said insects that were attracted to my headlamp on the hike in at 4 in the morning. Also not pictured: Two burrowing owls on the road in the morning, numerous birds in the bushes. Alas.

Sorry for the potato quality, I'm not great at taking insect pictures. The ones of the tarantula hawk didn't come out at all, and the tarantula pictures were way, way too out of focus you couldn't even see them in the shadows. Just trust me when I said they were out there on the mountain with me.

Some good plants.

And some landscape shots, I hope those are welcome too.

(hours later)

(hours later)

At the top of the Laguna Mountains it was hovering around 97-103 for most of the day before I enjoyed a nice, cool 85 degrees on the way down. Good day, too hot and dry for ticks, which is a huge plus.

Chaosfeather fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Oct 28, 2019

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Chaosfeather posted:

Yesterday was Deer Opener in San Diego! And now You'll get to see as much of the deer as I did!

(note I'm actually a tiny person and my hands are small, so this isn't super helpful for scale. More for my notes)

Tadah! Now for the other critters. Not pictured: Numerous moths, insects and bats eating said insects that were attracted to my headlamp on the hike in at 4 in the morning. Also not pictured: Two burrowing owls on the road in the morning, numerous birds in the bushes. Alas.

Sorry for the potato quality, I'm not great at taking insect pictures. The ones of the tarantula hawk didn't come out at all, and the tarantula pictures were way, way too out of focus you couldn't even see them in the shadows. Just trust me when I said they were out there on the mountain with me.

Some good plants.

And some landscape shots, I hope those are welcome too.

(hours later)

(hours later)

At the top of the Laguna Mountains it was hovering around 97-103 for most of the day before I enjoyed a nice, cool 85 degrees on the way down. Good day, too hot and dry for ticks, which is a huge plus.

I'm digging this, please post more next time you go! I'll respond in kind on my next outing!

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

PathAsc posted:

I'm digging this, please post more next time you go! I'll respond in kind on my next outing!

Even if I don't get a picture of the critters? Well okaaay.

SAN DIEGO DEER SEASON: PART 2

Started on the top of the ridge, first thing in the morning. Bumped another burrowing owl on the way up, they must be gettin real tired of my poo poo cuz this one scolded me. Still cute.

I found some extremely confusing tracks once I left the trail to go to the plateau.

A nice boulder to climb. Rocks are always welcome around here - easy to climb, beautiful and not likely to spike you.

Some very nice views of the private property edge.

And the mansion it contains.

The plateau at the top of the mountain here. No shade but a good breather.

Found this cute plant up there. Not sure what it is.

Dodder?

DODDER

What a nice quartz vein in this one. Had a few of these - sadly they are pretty damaged from people chipping away at them.

Thanks for focusing on the wrong flower, dork.

I was also followed by some Ravens throughout the morning? I think? One gave a call at some point that sounded like a rolling chirp, something I've never heard a raven make. It puzzled me, to say the least. They'd circle a little and leave for a while then come find me again an hour later. Maybe they wanted food? I'm not too keen on feeding the wildlife, even if I really want to befriend them and be a disney princess.

I got to see more deer tracks!
Although I don't have proof, I also saw a doe! She was smaller than some of the other does I've seen which isn't shocking - desert animals tend to be. She was also more grey than brown. I reached for my camera but honestly by the time I had it ready she was back in the shrubs and not super visible. Fortunately for her you can't hunt does in Cali, so she's not in danger any hunting season.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Chaosfeather posted:

Even if I don't get a picture of the critters? Well okaaay.

~lots of pics~

Yes, right into my loving veins

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Chaosfeather posted:

The good poo poo~

Your pictures own.

This dude and his friend really did not want to exit my garage. With a mix of coaxing and catching I finally got him to a safe place but not before he jumped on my leg and tried to climb up into my shorts a couple times. ~Chilly and moist~

I'm pretty sure it's a squirrel tree frog.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Hopefully I can help make up for the missing deer.

Bonus pronghorn antelope binocular shot

!Double bonus! ... Donkey!

And the rest of the decent shots I've made since late August.
In order of appearance: Signal crayfish (Pacifastacus leniusculus), White-lined sphinx (Hyles lineata), Stagmomantis carolina, Becker's White (Pontia beckerii) on a beautiful blue mountain prarie clover (Dalea ornata) inflorescence, Apis mellifera, Pacific tree frog (Pseudacris regilla), and the shy old jerusalem cricket (Stenopelmatus fuscus)

I'll close it out with some landscape money shots taken outside Craters of the Moon national park.

Birding tip: boiling some water on the back of the truck on a 12 degree morning is apparently a great way to attract some sage thrashers.
https://imgur.com/ZObbAQX

treat fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Oct 30, 2019

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Potential BFF posted:

I'm pretty sure it's a squirrel tree frog.

Cute little ribbit :kimchi:

treat posted:

Hopefully I can help make up for the missing deer.

Bonus pronghorn antelope binocular shot

!Double bonus! ... Donkey!

And the rest of the decent shots I've made since late August.
In order of appearance: Signal crayfish (Pacifastacus leniusculus), White-lined sphinx (Hyles lineata), Stagmomantis carolina, Becker's White (Pontia beckerii) on a beautiful blue mountain prarie clover (Dalea ornata) inflorescence, Apis mellifera, Pacific tree frog (Pseudacris regilla), and the shy old jerusalem cricket (Stenopelmatus fuscus)

I'll close it out with some landscape money shots taken outside Craters of the Moon national park.

Birding tip: boiling some water on the back of the truck on a 12 degree morning is apparently a great way to attract some sage thrashers.
https://imgur.com/ZObbAQX

Yess! This is more deer than I generally see all year in SoCal, so thank you for providing. Pronghorn are really cool looking creatures and I didn't appreciate them until a herd got really close to my car one day and I got a real good look at them. And..is that a wild burro? That's one I have yet to see, very cool!

Gorgeous country, thanks for the pics! I appreciate the little critters, but especially the mantis. I can never get a good photo of the drat things, the ones around here are just way too twitchy. I can catch them just fine and it's not like their bites hurt at all, but they really don't like me nor my camera coming close. Can't say I blame them.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I found a robin with a broken wing in my front yard yesterday. After spending the night locked away from the cats in a grocery bag, he's now safely recovering at the Ruth Melichar bird center. Donate to your animal rescues & rehabs, they're practicing balls-out socialism but with rad animals.

Because they're hollow and without marrow, bird bones heal quickly in only a couple weeks. Hopefully this dude will be back to teasing my dog in a month or two.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Poor little lady! Thank you for rescuing her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

treat posted:

I found a robin with a broken wing in my front yard yesterday. After spending the night locked away from the cats in a grocery bag, he's now safely recovering at the Ruth Melichar bird center. Donate to your animal rescues & rehabs, they're practicing balls-out socialism but with rad animals.

Because they're hollow and without marrow, bird bones heal quickly in only a couple weeks. Hopefully this dude will be back to teasing my dog in a month or two.

I never knew that's why they either healed quickly or died in rescue situations. I used to be a part of a wild bird rescue and I found it curious that results were fast but I assumed that was because everyone knew what they were doing (or alternatively, the birds were too far gone when we reached them)

I have a new report, this one is from TEXAS

:siren: This post has a lot of spiders in it. Please skip if you have arachnophobia :siren:

It's a big state but my hunting buddies invited me out to try to hunt with them out here. None of us had any luck, but we encountered lots of cool stuff that I normally never, ever get to see.

Birds! More specifically, potato-quality birds eating purple berries in a forest:

Footprints! So many footprints! But these were the best and most distinct

M-Mollusks? I didn't even realize freshwater clams were a thing until last month (This one may be dead, I can't tell to be honest. It was probably dug up by pigs but was still closed)

Bugs!

So, So SO many arachnids. We'd see them in the dark from our headlamps - it wasn't dewdrops shining on the ground but thousands of spider eyes everywhere. I uh, am still getting over my arachnophobia so that was still a bit creepy.
The best night image isn't great - it was mostly these fellows on the ground.
Stowaway on the truck. We caught him(?) before driving off and placed him in a bush.

This fine friend startled me while I was reading a horror book. It was a very curious feeling to not only look at a spider and have it react to me, but to watch it turn towards me as my head swiveled to see what that movement on my vest was. Thankfully I wasn't wearing the vest, as we hiked back to camp for a lunch break.
Not a great angle on this one but I was having the damnest time getting a photo of them. Including potato quality to show what about 20 others looked like.

We had a close encounter with 3 wild pigs but unfortunately didn't get enough visibility for a clean shot. We also bumped deer three times without visibility, so no pictures, alive or otherwise. It was opening of duck season so unfortunately pressure from last weekend's opener and duck opener this weekend spooked everything. We also spotted countless squirrels but they were never still, which is a shock to everyone I am sure.

So here are some fungi.

Some great plants, most of them not very good for you in various ways.

Greenbriar and I got very well acquainted this weekend.
(My poor legs)
What the robins seemed to enjoy eating

And of course, I wouldn't want to disappoint on the landscape end, though visibility was quite limited.

Catte Tax

Edit: One of my buddies is trying to learn the differences between mushrooms and had guesses at these, could anyone ID any of them as an answer key? They were all located in Caddo National Grasslands. Thank you if you can, and no worries if you can't/don't wanna.

Chaosfeather fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Nov 11, 2019