Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Ultimate Doge
May 1, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo

Roth posted:

I like Entrapdak (Bayonetta x Lors Voldemort)

This is my favorite ship and I'm not even straight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I think the First Ones homeworld is Eternia. Adam, Randor and the rest of them are the remains of the First Ones empire, with Greyskull the center of their technology. Hell, it probably existed before they started their Empire, using the technology they found there. Though for some reason it collapsed, and now Eternia is just a post apocalyptic wasteland full of weird mutants and decaying technology.

Though I'm not sure if they have permission to use any He-Man stuff though. I'd love to see Skeletor show up and sass Hordak.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

ENEMIES EVERYWHERE posted:

what canonical straight romances are there?

micah & angela have no screentime together because he’s been ambiguously dead and now she’s ambiguously dead. so far hordak and entrapta are just lab partners with some one-sided blushing. seahawk has heart eyes for mermista but she clearly thinks he’s a big dork (though it was cute how she ran off after his seagull SOS to go save him).

whereas:
catra & adora
scorpia & catra
adora & literally any big lady with nice big muscles
lots of other girls & she-ra’s nice big muscles
lighthope & mara?
spinnerella & netossa actually canon married

Bow was making some heart-eyes or pretty close at Seahawk when they first met too.

I think the show runs on Utena rules - everyone is bi, because that has the most options for plots.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

what canonical straight romances are there?

micah & angela have no screentime together because he’s been ambiguously dead and now she’s ambiguously dead. so far hordak and entrapta are just lab partners with some one-sided blushing. seahawk has heart eyes for mermista but she clearly thinks he’s a big dork (though it was cute how she ran off after his seagull SOS to go save him).

whereas:
catra & adora
scorpia & catra
adora & literally any big lady with nice big muscles
lots of other girls & she-ra’s nice big muscles
lighthope & mara?
The show is pretty explicit about how heterosexual relationships lead to heartbreak and disappointment and that being gay is the way to go :v:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

twistedmentat posted:

I think the First Ones homeworld is Eternia. Adam, Randor and the rest of them are the remains of the First Ones empire, with Greyskull the center of their technology. Hell, it probably existed before they started their Empire, using the technology they found there. Though for some reason it collapsed, and now Eternia is just a post apocalyptic wasteland full of weird mutants and decaying technology.

Though I'm not sure if they have permission to use any He-Man stuff though. I'd love to see Skeletor show up and sass Hordak.

That's a good question, though it's not like it's stopped other franchises like TMNT from saying gently caress it and not bothering trying to prevent confusion.

Skeletor actually would be a really good counterpoint to this version of Hordak, since they're almost total opposites.

CuwiKhons posted:

Speaking of which, do you think Scorpia still has family out there anywhere or is she the last one? I assumed she would have family out in the Crimson Wastes last season but this season it seems more clear that Scorpia's family got decimated and she was only kept alive because she was young enough to be raised as loyal to the Horde. I also assumed we'd meet more of Catra's species on Beast Island but uh, nope. There was a cat girl on Captain Scurvy's pirate crew though.

I got the impression her father sold out to the Horde possibly to keep them alive? Though I generally kinda attributed the seeming skeleton crew of the Horde's upper echelons to the same reason all the heads of state are teenagers; the war with the Horde has been brutal to the older generations on both sides, and Angella might be paranoid and cowardly partly because she's the only member of the old Princess Alliance still alive.

Funny thing is that people were wondering about Etheria having money, but the world depicted makes a lot of sense that, for most people, the war is pretty far away or abstract- there's a bunch of different independent nations who probably only stopped fighting each other when the Horde showed up, and areas like the Whispering Woods and Crimson Waste that are so hostile and sparsely populated as to be ungovernable. It's a big world with a lot going on and we probably haven't even really seen half of it.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

SardonicTyrant posted:

The show is pretty explicit about how heterosexual relationships lead to heartbreak and disappointment and that being gay is the way to go :v:

I mean, on the other hand...Catradora and CatraxScorpia :shepface:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That's a good question, though it's not like it's stopped other franchises like TMNT from saying gently caress it and not bothering trying to prevent confusion.

Skeletor actually would be a really good counterpoint to this version of Hordak, since they're almost total opposites.

In 80s cartoons, Skeletor and Hordak were BFFs and they stole Adora together.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

twistedmentat posted:

Not surprised, though it seems like this version of Hordak had nothing to do with Adora's kidnapping, that was Light Hope.

Put that way though, I can totally imagine Skeletor taking Hordak under his wing and becoming his evil mentor.

Would explain a lot if She-Ra and He-Man are both based on the same ancient super-soldier technology. And possibly something about their bloodline makes them compatible with it.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

twistedmentat posted:

Didn't Skeletor try to kill Hordak with a cursed pie?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

The Bee posted:

I think so, but could Skeletor make any other kind of pie?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Not surprised, though it seems like this version of Hordak had nothing to do with Adora's kidnapping, that was Light Hope.

Put that way though, I can totally imagine Skeletor taking Hordak under his wing and becoming his evil mentor.

Would explain a lot if She-Ra and He-Man are both based on the same ancient super-soldier technology. And possibly something about their bloodline makes them compatible with it.

Yea, so that isn't going to be part of it, but it still doesn't preclude Skeletor and Hordak being partners in some way.

And yea, I figure Adora and Adam's bloodline enables them to tap into the power of Greyskull to turn themselves into their alter egos. The Nobility or the pure humans of Eternia have the most First One DNA or something. It's like in Stargate Atlantis where some of the crew had Ancient DNA stronger than others and they could use their tech when no one else could.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm mostly familiar with the 2002 Skeletor, mind, though I suppose to go into more detail about what I meant; Skeletor primarily uses magic, while Hordak uses technology; Skeletor is a hands-on leader who can sword-fight He-Man evenly, while Hordak prefers to sit back and when he does fight he uses a long-range weapon; Skeletor tends to dominate his minions and take charge through personality while Hordak gives them relative autonomy and mostly only intervenes when he wants something or when they screw up. Looking at that, I get the feeling it might be a deliberate contrast for this show's version of Hordak.

twistedmentat posted:

I think so, but could Skeletor make any other kind of pie?

Yea, so that isn't going to be part of it, but it still doesn't preclude Skeletor and Hordak being partners in some way.

And yea, I figure Adora and Adam's bloodline enables them to tap into the power of Greyskull to turn themselves into their alter egos. The Nobility or the pure humans of Eternia have the most First One DNA or something. It's like in Stargate Atlantis where some of the crew had Ancient DNA stronger than others and they could use their tech when no one else could.

Weirdly enough I'm wondering if it's related to how their mother is apparently an astronaut from Earth in at least one version.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

The fact that they're a couple is canonical and has been confirmed, but are they married? I don't think that got brought up anywhere.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

The Ultimate Doge posted:

A lot of these aren't really confirmed but yeah I missed a lot because the only season I can remember is the latest one

How could you forget Adora clit blocking Huntara back when they first met?

The Bee posted:

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

The Ultimate Doge
May 1, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is there actually some reason to believe Skeletor will show up?

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
No, but he was the best character from He-Man by a long way, so we still hope he will. He did have a connection to Hordak of some sort too, I forget exactly what.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I think Hordak was Skeletor's mentor? Though I don't know if that'd work for this.

Though the crazy option would be that the planet Hordak was invading when he was suddenly sent to Etheria was actually Eternia. (and extra comedy option is that it's Light Hope's fault)

Madame Razz is also implied to occasionally remember the 80s series.

Mumbly
Apr 12, 2007

This reminds me. In the unlikely event Skeletor does show up, someone should warn the She-Ra fandom that in most continuities he's secretly He-Man's uncle. Y'know, before they do something they might regret.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mumbly posted:

This reminds me. In the unlikely event Skeletor does show up, someone should warn the She-Ra fandom that in most continuities he's secretly He-Man's uncle. Y'know, before they do something they might regret.

They won't regret regardless.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Noelle Stevenson stated quite awhile ago that she has no interest in introducing any He-Man characters to the story.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

pentyne posted:

They won't regret regardless.

Lets all not forget how many degenerates shipped Azula and Zuko after all.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Finally watched this show

Now I’m gay

Thanks.

Do they ever talk about Greyskull past the first two episodes where Adora says “what’s a greyskull” and doesn’t get an answer?

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

I'm sorry but this is amazing and needs to be talked about rather than all the pointless he-man stuff :colbert:

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Sockser posted:

Finally watched this show

Now I’m gay

Thanks.

Do they ever talk about Greyskull past the first two episodes where Adora says “what’s a greyskull” and doesn’t get an answer?

Pretty sure they don't and while you're currently gay, as you progress with the seasons you'll ascend beyond gay, or achieve super gay 2 for short...

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

I'm sorry but this is amazing and needs to be talked about rather than all the pointless he-man stuff :colbert:

What is it a reference to?

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

:five:

maltesh posted:

What is it a reference to?
The "Woman Yelling At A Cat" meme:
https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/woman-yelling-at-a-cat
E:

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Nov 11, 2019

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I hope Imp does alright in season 5.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Darth Walrus posted:

I think the fun thing about Double Trouble is how professional they are. They really are serious about using their campy sadism exclusively for the benefit of whoever's paying them - they've found a job they love, and they sincerely want to excel at it.

That and they're a nice change of pace from all the shapeshifter characters who put little to mo effort into mimicking their target's personality, doing whatever they want and hoping that everyone else has their heads too far up their asses to notice anything fishy.

CuwiKhons posted:

Noelle Stevenson stated quite awhile ago that she has no interest in introducing any He-Man characters to the story.

Though it seems Netflix is going to be getting a He-Man series:

https://www.cnet.com/news/netflix-is-bringing-back-he-man-and-the-masters-of-the-universe-with-kevin-smith/

No word if there'd be any connection whatsoever to She-Ra.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Cockmaster posted:

https://www.cnet.com/news/netflix-is-bringing-back-he-man-and-the-masters-of-the-universe-with-kevin-smith/

That's a direct sequel to the old show, so will most likely have nothing to do with new She-Ra.

The Ultimate Doge
May 1, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Madame Razz is also implied to occasionally remember the 80s series.

WHAT

The Ultimate Doge
May 1, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cockmaster posted:

The fact that She-Ra gets this amazing show, while He-Man gets some Kevin Smith poo poo, is proof that sexism has finally reversed and we're now living in a matriarchy

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Really just seeing He-Man and She-Ra fighting back to back would be awesome.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Really just seeing He-Man and She-Ra fighting back to back would be awesome.

Ehhh that is questionable.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Man

Masters of the Universe loving sucks

The Ultimate Doge
May 1, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sockser posted:

Man

Masters of the Universe loving sucks

Shut the gently caress up

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I liked the 2002 series, goofy but with an actual budget.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

CuwiKhons posted:

That's unfortunate. She would have made a much more interesting show than Kevin Smith ever will.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Cockmaster posted:

I honestly don't want Kevin Smith anywhere remotely near to being involved with this show. He's demonstrated that he's completely incapable of reining in his toxic masculinity when it comes to his favorite childhood IP, and I've no doubt his attempt at revitalizing He-Man will be a grotesquely-realized attempt at bringing the 80s version back, but "y'know, making it edgier."

The only thing that could make me change my mind is if Skeletor gets voiced by Chris McCulloch, because the voice of the 80s Skeletor and THE MIGHTY MONARCH are so eerily similar.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Nov 11, 2019

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I liked the 2002 series, goofy but with an actual budget.

Its kind interesting to watch an episode of 80's She-Ra or He-Man while paying close attention to how Filmation went about making a 22 minutes of content while spending as little as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

side_burned posted:

Its kind interesting to watch an episode of 80's She-Ra or He-Man while paying close attention to how Filmation went about making a 22 minutes of content while spending as little as possible.

Star Trek TAS has held up surprisingly well with that in mind. Especially since they realised that weird aliens were often actually easier to animate than humans. It's a style that works surprisingly well when used right, either taken seriously or used for comedy- Archer obviously uses a similar style (and also Frisky Dingo and Sealab 2021, which was based on another Filmation cartoon) but also the human characters in Aqua Teen Hunger Force.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I honestly don't want Kevin Smith anywhere remotely near to being involved with this show. He's demonstrated that he's completely incapable of reining in his toxic masculinity when it comes to his favorite childhood IP, and I've no doubt his attempt at revitalizing He-Man will be a grotesquely-realized attempt at bringing the 80s version back, but "y'know, making it edgier."

The only thing that could make me change my mind is if Skeletor gets voiced by Chris McCulloch, because the voice of the 80s Skeletor and THE MIGHTY MONARCH are so eerily similar.

The Monarch's voice and mannerisms were probably consciously based on Skeletor, I'd imagine.