Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Jack Ryan was so dumb this season. The secret plot to mine for valuable minerals in their own country didn’t require any cover up at all, meaning there was never any reason to kill the senator.

What should have happened was they go down to Venezuela and ask about what’s up, and the government tells them its a mining operation, mind your own business and then they just leave the country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mombot
Sep 28, 2010

mmmmmwah - Trophy kisses!

Starks posted:

I have not seen the king so you may be completely right but the accusation that an adaptation of Henry V is a ripoff of game of thrones is just incredibly 2019

Love this statement.

As for the poster you’re responding to, maybe you need to reacquaint yourself with actual historical events and with Shakespeare, as it is loosely based on Shakespeare’s Henry V with prose that is easier to understand for the average person. Honestly, battles can be muddy, and considering this is historically accurate and occurs long before GRRM ever existed the comment is completely ridiculous. The sun does not rise and set from GRRMs rear end.

My only complaint with the movie was that I honestly think it could easily have been made into at least a miniseries. The relationship between Henry V and Catherine was a beautiful one and they truly loved each other. The movie seems to end with this idea that more is coming, but then it just ends.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
GRRM did not write or film the Battle of the Bastards, you ridiculous person you

The overall point is that battles with soldiers drowning in mud and crushed by each other has never really been a thing in battle scenes, but now it seems newer shows are copying the style of GoT's best battle. The other Netflix film with Robert the Bruce did a similar but not quite so jarring battle.

Marmaduke! fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Nov 11, 2019

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Just realized Neon Genesis Evangelion is on Netflix. Finally got around to watching through it for the first time.

I've never really been an anime fan outside of DBZ as a kid, but I had a pretty mind-bending, one could say life-changing experience playing through the Playstation JRPG Xenogears as a kid. People always recommended I check out NGE as it shares almost exactly the same Judeo-Christian iconography, Freudian-Jungian archetypes, deep explorations of sci-fi concepts put forth by Arthur C. Clarke Childhood's End, musings on the meaning of life and depression, and they're both genre-defying anime properties about Mechs developed wholly independently of each other that came out of Japan at exactly the same time and were plagued by funding issues as they rounded 3rd base lol

On the whole, Xenogears explored all of those concepts much more deftly and pulled less punches in cosmic/body horror aspects. Also riding against NGE is the fact that the first half of the series is unashamedly Anime as gently caress, with lingering shots on underage cartoon rear end and feet galore (even as they're presenting them as relatively strong, independent female archetypes. it's some truly bizarre cognitive dissonance). If you've never had the true pleasure of playing Xenogears though (and aren't in the mood to fire up a janky-rear end game from 1997) then I'd go so far as to say that it might actually be worth it just for the psychedelic as hell final three episodes and movie.

mombot posted:

My only complaint with the movie was that I honestly think it could easily have been made into at least a miniseries. The relationship between Henry V and Catherine was a beautiful one and they truly loved each other. The movie seems to end with this idea that more is coming, but then it just ends.

yeah I also came away from the movie feeling like it ended on Act II or something.

God Hole fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Nov 11, 2019

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Marmaduke! posted:

The overall point is that battles with soldiers drowning in mud and crushed by each other has never really been a thing in battle scenes, but now it seems newer shows are copying the style of GoT's best battle. The other Netflix film with Robert the Bruce did a similar but not quite so jarring battle.

Your criticism would be valid for just about any other battle save Agincourt, which was/is singularly famous for creating an insanely compacted mass of fully armored, plate wearing soldiers in a virtually inescapable bog.

Also the battle of the bastards is one of the dumbest portrayals of mass combat ever put to screen and claiming a fairly legitimate, historical recounting of Agincourt ripped off that trash is pretty hilarious.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Movies should return to battle scenes in the style of John Boorman’s Excalibur: use a shitload of fog to cover for the lack of extras

Past Tense Ragu
Oct 17, 2005

Midgetskydiver posted:

Your criticism would be valid for just about any other battle save Agincourt, which was/is singularly famous for creating an insanely compacted mass of fully armored, plate wearing soldiers in a virtually inescapable bog.

Also the battle of the bastards is one of the dumbest portrayals of mass combat ever put to screen and claiming a fairly legitimate, historical recounting of Agincourt ripped off that trash is pretty hilarious.

You're just completely not understanding his point at all. He's saying the way the battle is presented is plagiarized from Game of Thrones. Like when Lord of the Rings came out and every battle scene after it for years looked just like its battle scenes. Not just in content but in form.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Past Tense Ragu posted:

You're just completely not understanding his point at all. He's saying the way the battle is presented is plagiarized from Game of Thrones. Like when Lord of the Rings came out and every battle scene after it for years looked just like its battle scenes. Not just in content but in form.

This. Everyone I know that has seen the trailer is like, hey they are filming that battle like the Battle of the Bastards.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Blast Fantasto posted:

Movies should return to battle scenes in the style of John Boorman’s Excalibur: use a shitload of fog to cover for the lack of extras

gently caress yes a lot more movies being like Excalibur would be awesome in a lot of ways.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Past Tense Ragu posted:

The King's portrayal of the battle of Agincourt was based off of the original archival photos, so you're really showing your ignorance here.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

pospysyl posted:

The King's portrayal of the battle of Agincourt was based off of the original archival photos, so you're really showing your ignorance here.

:hmmyes:

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

pospysyl posted:

Jesus you had me for a moment (I read photos as paintings at first).

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

I don't think GoT gets credit for gritty battle scenes when Rome was a series on the same network.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

GoT’s currently the most popular media representation of dark gritty battle scenes, but they definitely didn’t invent them.

I didn’t really care for Chalamet in this. I loved him in Call Me By Your Name but he didn’t do much for me here. Robert Pattinson, on the other hand, was awesome.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

*Slowly zooms in as Ken Burns voiceover begins.*

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Family Values posted:

I don't think GoT gets credit for gritty battle scenes when Rome was a series on the same network.

When did Rome have any battles with the scope of the big GoT battles? In my memory there was plenty of “setting up the battle” -> “dissolve to post battle”.

I loved Rome, and need any excuse to rewatch it. So if my memory failed me I’m happy to give it another watch.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Past Tense Ragu posted:

Yeah and his evidence is there was mud and people getting crushed in it. GoT had aerial camera views, one man running through a CG cavalry charge followed by a shaky cam, and multiple dramatic slow motion shots. The King had none of those and its centerpiece was a lengthy continuous take that followed the protagonist as he selected targets of opportunity in the chaos. It didn't "look like" GoT except that it was a muddy battle with medieval weaponry. It was not similarly directed at all.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Midgetskydiver posted:

Yeah and his evidence is there was mud and people getting crushed in it. GoT had aerial camera views, one man running through a CG cavalry charge followed by a shaky cam, and multiple dramatic slow motion shots. The King had none of those and its centerpiece was a lengthy continuous take that followed the protagonist as he selected targets of opportunity in the chaos. It didn't "look like" GoT except that it was a muddy battle with medieval weaponry. It was not similarly directed at all.

A lot of the features that you argue distinguish GoT are in The King, particularly during the part of the fight that follows Falstaff. There's an aerial shot of him in the mob of fighters (which is also in slow motion), there are shots of him weaving through cavalry fighters, and plenty of shaky cam throughout. The continuous take with Hal distinguished itself more, but not that much more.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Admittedly I've only seen The King once so I may be mistaken on those points. But even if I am, all those elements were present in the battle of gaugamela in Alexander which was filmed in 2004 so the idea that GoT invented any of those things is pretty dumb.

FLIPADELPHIA fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Nov 12, 2019

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Midgetskydiver posted:

Admittedly I've only seen The King once so I may be mistaken on those points. But even if I am, all those elements were present in the battle of gaugamela in Alexander which was filmed in 2004 so the idea that GoT invented any of those things is pretty dumb.

I wouldn't say that GoT "invented" those common film techniques, but I'd bet that Michod was at least influenced specifically by GoT.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

This is the dumbest argument, who gives a single flying gently caress who's right

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

My attraction to Game of Thrones was how mercilessly it killed huge characters that seemed destined to make it to the end. Ffs, the huge headliner actor on every poster for the first season gets murdered in the first or second episode

E to be clear I see everyone's talking about the action specifically, but after all the "armies crashing together" movies I've seen in the last who loving knows how many years, even really cool stuff just kind of blends together. Except 300, what a loving stylish armies crashing together movie.

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Nov 12, 2019

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I care deeply whether King is influenced by other popular media, it's either a wholly original work like GOT or utter trash, this is no joke people.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

wormil posted:

I care deeply whether King is influenced by other popular media, it's either a wholly original work like GOT or utter trash, this is no joke people.

It took multiple posts before I stopped thinking "I thought that movie was about that guy learning to drop his lisp or whatever" and being confused

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Disney+ is live.

I'm watching an early episode of The Simpsons as a test, and the image is cropped so that it fits on a wide screen TV without black bars. Great start.

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014

Sarchasm posted:

Disney+ is live.

I'm watching an early episode of The Simpsons as a test, and the image is cropped so that it fits on a wide screen TV without black bars. Great start.

Just came here to say the same! Watching The Mandalorian first!

Aunt Teefa
Mar 17, 2015

Omg The Mandalorian straight delivered that felt like Star Wars and the world building holy poo poo

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Real disappointed that everything I've tried so far on Disney+ is Dolby Vision only and doesn't support HDR10.

Edit: I've been told this is a problem with the ps4 app.

Edit 2: Tested with the Xbox app and it works so good job Sony?

cheesetriangles fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Nov 12, 2019

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014
The Mandalorian trip report: it’s really good and I’m sad I can’t binge watch it all right now. It just has that OG trilogy feel with all the janky electronics and dirt and grime. It is refreshing to watch compared to the new set of films.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

is the whole season of The Mandalorian up or is it a weekly thing?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

veni veni veni posted:

is the whole season of The Mandalorian up or is it a weekly thing?

One episode today, another on the 15th, and then it’s weekly, dropping every Tuesday.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Aww, Disney+ isn't available in kiwiland until a week from now.

MasterSitsu
Nov 23, 2013

https://twitter.com/GetDisneyPlus/status/1194228585269223429?s=20

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Inspector Hound posted:

It took multiple posts before I stopped thinking "I thought that movie was about that guy learning to drop his lisp or whatever" and being confused

:laffo:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Sarchasm posted:

Disney+ is live.

That's how FX's streaming app has had them for years now so I'm not surprised. They probably just moved the files to new servers.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I heard that Simpsons World added a 4:3 option after Groening personally requested it.

Though I guess it isn't surprising that Disney wouldn't have the same regard for creator input.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Detective No. 27 posted:

I heard that Simpsons World added a 4:3 option after Groening personally requested it.

Though I guess it isn't surprising that Disney wouldn't have the same regard for creator input.

They did. On Simpsons World you can choose the lovely fills your entire screen option or the correct 4:3. I'm hoping (in vain I know) they'll add that option to the Disney+ version.

edit: Mandolorian is good.

double edit: Since it's sorta live now, The Muppet Movie is on Disney+. It's so loving good. The jokes, songs, cameos. Everything that makes the Muppets great. A reminder of how awesome they were and can be if Disney can get their poo poo together with them.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Nov 12, 2019

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
Just downloaded the Disney+ app...and am immediately told that its unable to connect and to try again later. Nice.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

About to start The Mandalorian myself, but before that:

Has anyone else watched Daybreak on Netflix? Just finished it and I found myself really enjoying it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://twitter.com/ericfell/status/1194200262019170304

E: Greedo is real, the second two are jokes.

Tim Whatley fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Nov 12, 2019