Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

nobody cares, the_nurse!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I don't need to remember any of that, I outlined most of it in my previous posts. All the various reasons you give are sound, and my entire point is that Simone would have come off better if she had used any of them in her speech to Chidi. Instead her reasons for abandoning him are that he is a jerk who is not worth saving. She also broke up with someone who was willing to risk their life, seemingly because he was willing to do that.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
she's suffered as a result of brent for a literal year without him changing an inch and her boyfriend picked him over her despite both knowing her pain and suffering as much because of brent himself

even at that basic level she's not wrong

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

He didn’t really choose one over the other, he chose to save someone who he knew to be in immediate danger. They could have just left together afterwards if they rescued Brent.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Take out the b, it's rent; take out the r, it's bent.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Guy A. Person posted:

She also broke up with someone who was willing to risk their life, seemingly because he was willing to do that.
That's not really what the breakup was about. :ssh:

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Is it a theory yet that Michael is actually a human and the entire show is an extension of a previous test somehow? And the whole reason for Michael not wanting to take off his skin is because there's nothing to take off?

I know that's probably not going to happen, but I feel like I want to call dibs.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

Regy Rusty posted:

Mindy's house is literally right next to where they've been the whole time

In any case they've likely been frozen when the experiment ended just like the other two

I feel like "Them in Mindy's house, reacting to the Eleanor/Chidi tape, then getting frozen" is a strong contender for next week's cold open.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I really disliked Simone and Brent this season. Brents just a horrible person and Simone is bossy Eleanor without any humor. John was ok I guess.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Brent at the end got what he finally needed, to be confronted that he was a bad person. He never had the little voice in his head that Eleanor because he had always been told that he as great and had never failed at anything in life. When he is confronted that he is in the Bad Place and Chidi calls him a bad person he finally realizes that he is actually a bad person.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's honestly a bit over the top how attractive everyone is.

Have you ever watched a single CW show?

Also the gift shop is running out of Bornt novelty license plate keychains.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Peachfart posted:

Brent at the end got what he finally needed, to be confronted that he was a bad person. He never had the little voice in his head that Eleanor because he had always been told that he as great and had never failed at anything in life. When he is confronted that he is in the Bad Place and Chidi calls him a bad person he finally realizes that he is actually a bad person.

I just didn't really like the Brent/Simone dynamic. It's too easy to dunk on a guy like Brent so he wasn't really funny and Simone was just an rear end in a top hat all season. If the big twist is that Brent was the good person all along out of the two then blugh. Johns cool though, he can go to the real Good Place.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Have you ever watched a single CW show?
Yeah, and even compared to the CW it's a little nuts. Except John and Brent, but they're new.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Doltos posted:

I just didn't really like the Brent/Simone dynamic. It's too easy to dunk on a guy like Brent so he wasn't really funny and Simone was just an rear end in a top hat all season. If the big twist is that Brent was the good person all along out of the two then blugh. Johns cool though, he can go to the real Good Place.

Brent was never a good person all along, he just finally realized that he was a bad person. He had never doubted that in his life before, and while it doesn't make him a good person, realizing you are wrong is a big deal.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Honestly, the fact that John was able to keep quiet about Jason for six months is pretty impressive.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
The Eleanor/Michael replay of the original twist and Brent's comeuppance was supremely satisfying, particularly because it was for a positive reason. I'm tempted to watch something else that actor has been in because I can't imagine him as not an rear end in a top hat.

It's not like it didn't happen before (season 2 had, what, 300 years of time skips) but the jumps here still feel strange. How realistic were the Janet babies? Were they so indistinguishable for the entire year that the real humans never twigged? Which now I write it out means they were what Wikipedia tells me are p-zombies, an unused opportunity for philosophical content. What's happened to Derek since he rebooted himself? Presumably nothing much, because it happened months ago. What happened in the scenes where everyone else got their memories back, what the hell did John do all year, how did Simone die...?

Rewatching episodes of Season 3 and I might be enjoying them more than I did when they were live, possibly because I'm not trying to interpret and guess everything and instead can sit back and enjoy the episode by itself.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
One of the funny things I haven't seen mentioned is on Simone's Pepe Silva board she has a post-it note that says "Where's Linda?" Chick was keeping an eye on things.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

My theory for what happens which i will spoiler because it's so good you'll realise I'm right straight away:

Simone didn't get enough points to go to the good place because she didn't buy into it at all so her motivation was tainted.

John didn't get enough points to go to the good place because the increase from not being a gossip was balanced out by leaving Brent to die in a hole.

Brent will initially not get enough good points to get into the good place because he's a racist jerk who hasn't changed, but the soul squad will argue he was literally a few seconds away from a fundamental change and they'll get to allow the experiment to continue for a minute or two more. It turns out he's about to say "I'm sorry you're so jealous of my success" or something equally ignorant and douchey and still doesn't get enough points to get into the good place.

Following those reveals will chart the course of the next episode with the tension ramping up and the John reveal being the "oh-no, everything's gone wrong, what can we do" moment and the squad will think they're forked even as it moves on to Chidi and it's revealed that he's got enough to go to the good place as he's basically the perfect human being seeing as he constantly risked eternal happiness by helping Jason in secret and overcame his old flaw of not doing anything by punching a racist idiot and then rescuing a racist idiot from a whole (even though he knew it'd cost him his relationship); because 3 losses and 1 win makes it 3:1 to the demons so soul squad's lost, right. Except really that makes no sense as Jen will point out in the last minute twist. Although the rest of the individual humans didn't succeed, that Chidi did revealed that humans do have the potential to improve and become better people. No-one's ever said they have to succeed with all of the humans or even a majority. The afterlife system is overturned, the Bad Place is abolished and Chidi has saved humanity from eternal torment; retroactively making the mind wipe decision the correct one and possibly giving him more good place points than anyone in history.

Everyone lives happily ever after.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

My theory: The Judge (who claims to be neutral in all things but works to serve a system that uses infinite torture to punish finite sin and is therefore just as bad as Sean) will rule that the experiment failed. This would be the doom for all humanity, but at the last minute Bad Janet, who will have read Michael and Janet's book, will Voltron together with Janet, forming a Mega-Janet that will overturn the entire system.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

8one6 posted:

My theory: The Judge (who claims to be neutral in all things but works to serve a system that uses infinite torture to punish finite sin and is therefore just as bad as Sean) will rule that the experiment failed. This would be the doom for all humanity, but at the last minute Bad Janet, who will have read Michael and Janet's book, will Voltron together with Janet, forming a Mega-Janet that will overturn the entire system.

Don't forget to include super-upgraded Derek.

ZRM
Nov 25, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Maximum... Janet?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

ZRM posted:

Maximum... Janet?

MikeJF posted:

Now I want to see D'Arcy Carden's impression of Jason Mantzoukas.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

ZRM posted:

Maximum... Janet?
I'm changing all my theories to Maximum Janet this rules

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I liked that Janet’s magician’s assistant outfit was just her normal outfit made out of sparkly material

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

uvar posted:

The Eleanor/Michael replay of the original twist and Brent's comeuppance was supremely satisfying, particularly because it was for a positive reason. I'm tempted to watch something else that actor has been in because I can't imagine him as not an rear end in a top hat.

It's not like it didn't happen before (season 2 had, what, 300 years of time skips) but the jumps here still feel strange. How realistic were the Janet babies? Were they so indistinguishable for the entire year that the real humans never twigged? Which now I write it out means they were what Wikipedia tells me are p-zombies, an unused opportunity for philosophical content. What's happened to Derek since he rebooted himself? Presumably nothing much, because it happened months ago. What happened in the scenes where everyone else got their memories back, what the hell did John do all year, how did Simone die...?

Rewatching episodes of Season 3 and I might be enjoying them more than I did when they were live, possibly because I'm not trying to interpret and guess everything and instead can sit back and enjoy the episode by itself.
No, the pacing of this season is a little weird. It's still good, but I feel like there should have been one more episode between the last one and this one.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
This season feels like it is easily the worst one so far. It’s so loving slow.

Seasons 1 & 2 are incredible.
Season 3 is good enough.
Season 4 is slow and boring.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Look, either we refer to her as "Uber Janet" or you can GTFO.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Vietnamwees posted:

Look, either we refer to her as "Uber Janet" or you can GTFO.

We've had good Janet, Bad Janet, Neutral Janet. It would be interesting to see them end up with a Janet who has developed so far (or is a mix of the Good and Bad) that she doesn't have any label.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I'm still waiting on Disco Janet.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

MikeJF posted:

This probably won't happen, but is definitely what I want to happen.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Given all the weird poo poo that the Judge has said is Michael's fault i'm curious how much it blew her mind that a Green Eggs and Ham tv show has gone up on Netflix and is actually good. She was confused enough that a musical about PT Barnum somehow made money, this will probably give her a conniption.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Mordiceius posted:

This season feels like it is easily the worst one so far. It’s so loving slow.

Seasons 1 & 2 are incredible.
Season 3 is good enough.
Season 4 is slow and boring.

I agree but this most recent episode was pretty good and def best of the season.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

ZRM posted:

Maximum... Janet?
Maximum Janet/Uber Janet is just Good Janet but nine feet tall, with Bad Janet's leather jacket, and the tinkling sound of wind chimes whenever she walks.

Robot Hobo fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Nov 10, 2019

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

there are no bad seasons, only bad opinions, bad people, and The Bad Place.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
This season owns. One of the best gags in the entire series is Michael deftly steering Chidi toward helping Brad by exploding the vase then the motorcycle.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Also touche

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Agronox posted:

I agree but this most recent episode was pretty good and def best of the season.

That’s cause something happened.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Mr. Powers posted:

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Mr. Powers posted:

They see what they see, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Thats just like, your bad place opinion man.