Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

somethingawful bf posted:

Yeah they do. I was playing last night and got a notification that I could now attack someone or something along those lines, I didn't get a chance to read the message, and I saw a red blip on my radar. I chased after him to see what the deal was and it was a person doing a delivery. I decided to leave him alone because I'm cool like that though.

Good to know thanks. I'm surprised I haven't seen any of those alerts, I wonder if it's proximity based or something.

Also I feel like the enemy NPC numbers are a bit excessive, especially out in the open. Having like 10+ spawn is a bit ridiculous to fight in a place with no or little cover. Also, they have a lot more cover in the form of bushes and plants - I can't see them through bushes when they break line of sight but they'll of course know exactly where I am and can shoot with pinpoint accuracy even if I'm not visible behind plants or whatever. It makes it frustrating and feels unfair to fight, especially near forests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Hakarne posted:

Good to know thanks. I'm surprised I haven't seen any of those alerts, I wonder if it's proximity based or something.

Also I feel like the enemy NPC numbers are a bit excessive, especially out in the open. Having like 10+ spawn is a bit ridiculous to fight in a place with no or little cover. Also, they have a lot more cover in the form of bushes and plants - I can't see them through bushes when they break line of sight but they'll of course know exactly where I am and can shoot with pinpoint accuracy even if I'm not visible behind plants or whatever. It makes it frustrating and feels unfair to fight, especially near forests.

It probably is proximity based since you mention it. He was just outside my mini-map area, so relatively close to me. And yeah, you can tell they developed this game using controllers with auto-aim in mind. I tried using mouse/keyboard but the mouse controls felt sluggish to me so I just went back to controller. With the auto-aim you just need to slightly push up for headshots, so even if I can't see the npc's it's still easy to headshot them. This is 100% a cover shooter though, so always try to make sure you find some hard cover instead of stuff like foliage, since as you've notice it just hinders you more than anything.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Yeah it wasn't as bad with a controller and auto aim in that situation. Come to think of it I did a lot of blind shooting on console where I'd just let it snap to an enemy and fire without needing to see them. But I really prefer using keyboard/mouse with free aim, it's a lot more satisfying. That's the particular instance where it really falls flat though.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish
Been playing a bit after getting past my launcher woes. Endless crashing now instead, can sometimes get an hour of play.
The most annoying (or most identifiable as a pattern) one is crashing on closing the esc menu, like after saving. Earlier this happened 5 times in a row, with some failed loading attempts mixed in. What a mess
Is that a common crash for people? I've not seen it mentioned amongst the other horror

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Welp, Flaco Hernandez got shot in the face with a sawed-off, for making me go up into the frozen wastes again. Did get some assorted wolf pelts and a perfect deer hipfire-headshot from horseback with my Springfield, though.

And some random dude wanting a ride, but being pushy about it, so I lassoed him and took him for a drag. :clint:

Still need to get a fishing rod - I assume I have to go do that death country mission before I can take Lil' Fredo out to meet the fishies?

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Sometimes, a man just needs to get his Rock off.
Dear Rockstar:

Why did you put a shortcut on my desktop that tells me to run the game from the launcher, even when the launcher is running? It's a red dead herring.

EDIT: So, I linked my Twitch prime, got the message in-game that I linked my twitch prime (along with the 100 bucks), but haven't been able to purchase the bounty hunter license for free.

Aqua_D fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Nov 10, 2019

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Can't even approach the camp without crashing the game at this point. Just wow...

Ikonoklast
Nov 16, 2007

A beacon for the liars and blind.

Feindfeuer posted:

So, I can't play the game anymore since tonight. It always crashes when it's done loading. I had that problem before when I played around with graphic options, but worst case: I deleted the systems.xml in the Documents\Rockstar Games\Red Dead Redemption 2\Settings and it started up with the vanilla settings again. But now it also crashes with those, and in safe mode, and after re-installing. Guess now I really have to wait for the next patch, cause I already spend far too many hours in this for a refund :smith:

e:
deleting all the files in the settings directory did it. :shrug:

If anyone else experience the crash on load in bug. Try going into online mode and load a manual single player save. Fixed it for me.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Super Foul Egg posted:

meaningful driver of recurrent consumer spending."

David Icke is right.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Ygolonac posted:

Still need to get a fishing rod - I assume I have to go do that death country mission before I can take Lil' Fredo out to meet the fishies?

Yeah, you don't get the fishing rod until surprisingly late in chapter 2.

Note that for the death country mission (I assume you're referring to the one that starts near Blackwater), you don't have to go into the "Wanted Dead Or Alive" area. Just follow the river rather than the roads and you should be fine, though I got ambushed and killed my first time heading there :v:

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

Ikonoklast posted:

If anyone else experience the crash on load in bug. Try going into online mode and load a manual single player save. Fixed it for me.

Well, it crashed no matter if I played SP or Online, so that wouldn't have helped me. But I'll keep it in mind in case I get locked out of the singleplayer via crashes.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Any of y'all using a DS4 with this? I'm having a hell of a time getting the rumble to work on mine plugged in via USB. Rumbling makes treasure hunting much easier to the point it borders on necessity :argh:

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

webmeister posted:

Yeah, you don't get the fishing rod until surprisingly late in chapter 2.

Note that for the death country mission (I assume you're referring to the one that starts near Blackwater), you don't have to go into the "Wanted Dead Or Alive" area. Just follow the river rather than the roads and you should be fine, though I got ambushed and killed my first time heading there :v:

I'd try, but I went and helped Shithead and now I have 'about forty more bucks bounty than I currently have on-hand. Which also keep the Trapper out of reach unless i go to Not'Awlins. Think I'm just gonna casually loiter around, sniping critters and jacking wagons. Thirty bucks for a lovely no-canvas Conestoga? poo poo yeah, I'll take it. (Also take some recipes, an assortment of hoods and masks, and that there lock buster thing. :ninja:)

And finally, either the Legendary Bear Skin was dropped into some other store inventory than the Trapper, or it evaporated, 'cause I can't find it nohow.

Ygolonac fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Nov 11, 2019

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Sometimes, a man just needs to get his Rock off.
I found some random-rear end sacks around Mattock Pond in Lemoyne, is this for some stranger thing I'm not actually seeing, or what?

The bags

My horse is roughly where they were, down to the pond itself.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Looks like someone dropped their deliveries

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

GhostDog posted:

David Icke is right.

do what now

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I've never seen such an interesting cool game that plays fun have such enormous bugs lmao. This is such a great game made poorly.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1iNSyvIPaY

Digital Foundry put up their gfx video to figure out which settings xbone1x is using. Pretty good watch if you are wanting to squeeze some extra performance out of the game and don’t know what settings are the performance killers.

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Nov 11, 2019

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Man, but when it works, it's really something else.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Was trying to do some searching for my problem but couldn't find anything. I've got a weird issue where I've got this thin band, about 2/3rds down the screen, maybe 50 or so pixels wide where everything jitters periodically in cutscenes. But it goes away when the game starts however whenever I try and open a menu it's like the screen tries to display the menu by refreshing pixels from top to bottem and gets stuck at some point and stops. Except if I click out of the window the actual display fixes itself and the menu is shown, until I click back into the window at which point it has the refresh issue all over again. Anyone seen something like this and a potential fix?

One thing I tried was going from full screen to borderless window, but that had no effect.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
It's an issue with UI overlays. I have it too and it was affecting the radar, the pause menu, and the rockstar social ui. That was a relatively new issue for me and I was pushing through the rest of the problems, but it's pretty impossible to work around. It fails to draw the bottom and keeps failing at different y-positions and eventually, with the social ui up, the erasure will bounce up into the top half of the screen.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

nessin posted:

Was trying to do some searching for my problem but couldn't find anything. I've got a weird issue where I've got this thin band, about 2/3rds down the screen, maybe 50 or so pixels wide where everything jitters periodically in cutscenes. But it goes away when the game starts however whenever I try and open a menu it's like the screen tries to display the menu by refreshing pixels from top to bottem and gets stuck at some point and stops. Except if I click out of the window the actual display fixes itself and the menu is shown, until I click back into the window at which point it has the refresh issue all over again. Anyone seen something like this and a potential fix?

One thing I tried was going from full screen to borderless window, but that had no effect.

Maybe try switching from Vulkan to DX12 or vice versa, although I would recommend making a backup copy of your settings.xml file, maybe even the entire folder (C:\Users\YOURNAME\Documents\Rockstar Games\Red Dead Redemption 2\Settings) in case doing that ends up bugging out and makes things worse or makes it so the game won't launch.

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Nov 11, 2019

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
Arthur: wearing the head of a scarred grizzly, dual wielding the guns of famous gunslingers, riding a horse so great every stranger comments on it, covered in hundreds of dollars worth of expensive St Denis clothes and festooned with the belt buckles and pocket watches of his enemies

Every other rear end in a top hat in camp: Morning Arthur!! I donated 1 beet and a feather!! :downs:

Little details I’ve noticed: there’s a cat in Emerald Ranch who has caught a rat. If you spin the camera round to look at Arthur’s face while he’s talking to someone outside of a cutscene he’ll sometimes do a creepy Deadly Premoniton-esque toothy grin. When your horse falls down in Valentine it gets realistically covered in mud on the side it fell on (serves me right for doing horse donuts in the middle of the road, I got hit by two carts simultaneously)

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

there’s a cat in Emerald Ranch who has caught a rat.

This just reminded me that there's a few references to spooky goings-on at Emerald Ranch. Does that ever get resolved? I must have missed it if so.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

GreatGreen posted:

do what now

Davi Icke thinks humans have been infiltrated and a lot of the rich and powerful are reptilians in disguise. I think about that when I read a quote from Strauss Zelnick, or any CEO really.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

fuf posted:

This just reminded me that there's a few references to spooky goings-on at Emerald Ranch. Does that ever get resolved? I must have missed it if so.

There is definitely a resolution to it, and it involves a broken down and abandoned mail cart on the side of the road.

~cryptic~

lost my retainer
Oct 28, 2002

Blow me
I got the game yesterday and played for 10 hours straight with zero issues, went to bed and now I can't play for more than a minute before it crashes to desktop :(

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
can someone on m+kb explain to me how to fight?

i must have forgot that tutorial because i just got my rear end absolutely kicked by a belligerent in a badger hat

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

i must have forgot that tutorial because i just got my rear end absolutely kicked by a belligerent in a badger hat

For fist fights it's R for blocks, E for grabs and F to punch.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

A pretty basic way to win most fights is to hold the block and then counter attack, rinse and repeat. If you tap the block key at the right moment, your character will dodge the punch. I had to change my block key to E because I didn't want to keep robbing people by accident.

void_serfer fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Nov 11, 2019

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Glenn Quebec posted:

For fist fights it's R for blocks, E for grabs and F to punch.

thanks, i just couldn't remember the buttons and it's hard to test when you're getting wailed on because everything is so context sensitive

left click also seems to punch but I'm not sure if that's any different to the F punch

on another note, the pump action shotgun is effective way beyond the range you'd expect from a video game shotgun and you don't need to worry about headshots, it's great

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Joe Gillian posted:

A pretty basic way to win most fights is to hold the block and then counter attack, rinse and repeat. If you tap the block key at the right moment, your character will dodge the punch. I had to change my block key to E because I didn't want to keep robbing people by accident.

you can rebind keys????

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

you can rebind keys????

Ayup, the first thing I did was remap the Dead Eye function (MMB to Mouse Button 5) because I'm notoriously bad at reproducing that button press without scrolling.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Joe Gillian posted:

Ayup, the first thing I did was remap the Dead Eye function (MMB to Mouse Button 5) because I'm notoriously bad at reproducing that button press without scrolling or something.

dude, same

i might actually use dead eye now

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~

you can rebind keys????

Good to know, maybe when they can fix the giant mouse pointer stuck on my screen I’ll give it a try.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!
You can't rebind keys from the settings menu when you first open the game, you have to load up a save and then access the settings menu from there. No idea why you have to jump through those hoops.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

side mouse buttons are for dead eye and PTT. I'm thinking of making the middle mouse button shoot in the air or even better --- my dynamite bug out button.

Or maybe chug a health potion.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
I just want to hotkey my binoculars, which doesn't seem to be an option. :(

Jacked a stage. Shot the driver and passengers since they were dicks about it. Shot a witness. Two other witnessed *that* and decided to roll on me - and pathed their horses across a gully. Horses weren't having any of that. One, then a second, launched over the bars head as the horse dropped anchor. :neckbeard:

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

I got the permanent posse bug which is pretty annoying. Unlocked it for 200 bux and promptly was told I have 0/0 slots available lmao. Apparently this is a year old bug which tells me that rockstar are loving liars about rebuilding the engine for the PC.

That said rolling around with friends doing missions, bounties, hunting or just being a piece of poo poo bandit it outrageously fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?
sorry if this has been answered nine times here, but:

I am having a "CPU pegs to 100% and freezes game for 1-3 seconds every 1-3 minutes" issue. I messed with Process Lasso based on some reddit thread, which did not make a difference.

Any help? I have a core-i5 6500 @ 3.2ghz, so not the newest processor in the world but certainly above spec, also have a GTX1080 and the game looks and runs fine, when it's not glitching.