Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Ongoing issues with i5 and this game. I don't know if there is an immediate resolution. Did you do the bios thing etc etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Is there a preferred chapter to do the treasure hunts in, or is it fine to do them as they pop up?

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008

Tim Raines IRL posted:

sorry if this has been answered nine times here, but:

I am having a "CPU pegs to 100% and freezes game for 1-3 seconds every 1-3 minutes" issue. I messed with Process Lasso based on some reddit thread, which did not make a difference.

Any help? I have a core-i5 6500 @ 3.2ghz, so not the newest processor in the world but certainly above spec, also have a GTX1080 and the game looks and runs fine, when it's not glitching.

Set affinity to 2 cores. Process Lasso didn't do anything for me but that works a treat.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
I'll also recommend BES, which is now my go-to for that exact issue. Has worked very well so far.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Got the chance to sit down with this game all weekend. Played about an hour of the single player and like a billion hours of online. I can't help but chuckle when I think of how hyped up this game's story is when five minutes in you can already see the rockstar writing being thrown in your face. It's a gta game through and through and I already feel bad for the carebears that want to play singleplayer multiplayer. That said, simply removing player dots from the world map has gone a very long way in enabling that solo player lifestyle.

Not being a posse leader is very profitable unlike working for a CEO or MC club. Rockstar is also getting very good at paper machéing their moving crates work which is very much still here but because of the world map player dots change, doing public lobby work is a lot more safe, generally.

On to the good poo poo. Now that I'm sunk in this I'm gonna fire up the gif factory and drag as many bad computers down as I can with a thread full of gfys.

Rockstar's art direction and artists have such a ridiculous eye for detail that games like GTA V or RDR 2 will look very good for a long long time in the same way that the Dishonored or Destiny games will.

Finding proper lighting to read by is the real deal

If anybody was ever at all curious, the fashion game in RDR 2 is very strong compared to GTA Online which was already not bad if you took the time to put together good looking outfits. Rockstar has finally figured out that dressing up is all about layering and fixed that for this game. Other than the obvious can'ts you can wear almost anything with anything. Shirts, vests, suspenders, neckwear and coats no longer compete for the same wearable space like they did in GTA.

Thank you for reading my first thoughts post.

I'm going to put some thought into some organized fun we can have with this game and a large crew of goons. A scavenger hunt is the obvious suggestion but people could probably come up with some cool poo poo.

On to a question that's mostly for you Powershift: Do we open up the LLJK crew for this game too? Is there already an RDR Online discord or should I expand the GTA one? I don't actually want to do more work but we already have this stuff rolling...

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

With max sized posse being 7 it's probably best to just play with friends.

Ichabod Tane fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Nov 11, 2019

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Free your mind, son. We did some awesome poo poo with GTA Online that didn't rely on mechanics.

e: Yesssss more photos more media!! Post it all!!!!!!!!

Zigmidge fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Nov 11, 2019

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?

Gasoline posted:

Set affinity to 2 cores. Process Lasso didn't do anything for me but that works a treat.

Thanks, I will mess with this and BES.

It was a little disheartening to, having not googled this at all, get stoned last night, sit down, and then just be instafucked on performance and see a ton of depressing things on google.

Orv
May 4, 2011
BES has worked for me where Process Lasso hadn't, though it does go back and forth a little with each patch they do just how effective it is.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Welp! I was going to hop on for a few minutes to see if they fixed the issue with the game freezing every ten seconds but now it won't start at all.

Really loving this port. Game of the year.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Glenn Quebec posted:

Ongoing issues with i5 and this game. I don't know if there is an immediate resolution. Did you do the bios thing etc etc

It's not even an i5 issue, it's somehow tied to lack of SMT which makes no sense. I have an 8 core/8 thread processor but ended up having to refund the game because it was freezing constantly while I see people with 4 core/8 thread processors running fine.

It's mind boggling

lost my retainer
Oct 28, 2002

Blow me

lost my retainer posted:

I got the game yesterday and played for 10 hours straight with zero issues, went to bed and now I can't play for more than a minute before it crashes to desktop :(

Quoting myself here because I fixed it by disabling fullscreen optimizations on the game exe. Played for a couple hours without any CTD's :pwn:

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

jisforjosh posted:

It's not even an i5 issue, it's somehow tied to lack of SMT which makes no sense. I have an 8 core/8 thread processor but ended up having to refund the game because it was freezing constantly while I see people with 4 core/8 thread processors running fine.

It's mind boggling

:whitewater:

I like the game so much but I've never played a shoddier triple A game while still liking it.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Glenn Quebec posted:

:whitewater:

I like the game so much but I've never played a shoddier triple A game while still liking it.

Wish it was playable enough to get some enjoyment out of it.

Seriously though, can someone explain to me how the hell this happens from a technical standpoint? Just look at those 1% and 0.1% lows on the 9700K vs the 2600K.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Toaster Beef posted:

I'll also recommend BES, which is now my go-to for that exact issue. Has worked very well so far.

Hmmm. "Bes is the ancient Egyptian god of childbirth, fertility, sexuality, humor, and war, but served primarily as a protector god of pregnant women and children." Can't hurt, I guess... any specific sacrifice to use?

Since I helped Big Smoke Micah in his time of need, I'd accrued $230 in bounty in the area that I needed to pass through to get to that rescue mission. (Also, the closest Trapper store was there too.) Dipshit needs to help me now, I have a Horseman challenge to complete - lasso and drag someone 3300 feet. :getin: Might try it on the train tracks...

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

I just tried a Free Roam Event and they don't seem worth it at all. They use your own stash of ammo, degrade your weapons ridiculously fast, then potentially drop you on the other side of the map. And you get like... $10-$20 and half a piece of gold unless you win? I feel like they need to bump up the rewards, I'll probably try them once or twice and just not bother unless there's a stupid fun game mode or something.

Edit: Ok I'm REALLY starting to loving hate online. Just did a local delivery and one of the scenarios is apparently the buyers getting ambushed by like 20 people. And if they die I just lose the whole loving shipment. What a lovely, dumb, loving terrible design. Having to keep alive loving dumb NPCs is the worst poo poo. There are just so many loving dumb design decisions. gently caress.

Edit 2: I'll just get all my bitching out now. Having my camp randomly packed up is annoying enough, but then they charge you $2 because Rockstar decides you can't have your camp down? gently caress that bullshit.

Hakarne fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Nov 11, 2019

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Tim Raines IRL posted:

sorry if this has been answered nine times here, but:

I am having a "CPU pegs to 100% and freezes game for 1-3 seconds every 1-3 minutes" issue. I messed with Process Lasso based on some reddit thread, which did not make a difference.

Any help? I have a core-i5 6500 @ 3.2ghz, so not the newest processor in the world but certainly above spec, also have a GTX1080 and the game looks and runs fine, when it's not glitching.

I have the same processor and a GTX970 and weirdly enough I fixed the issue by just playing the game. My settings are 1080p 30fps and essentially the Balanced preset; it was a bit rough to start with but once I got through the snow prologue area it improved hugely, to the point where I’m 30 hours in, almost finished Chapter IV and get the freezing maybe once an hour. Not the ideal experience, but maybe try that?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Zigmidge posted:

On to a question that's mostly for you Powershift: Do we open up the LLJK crew for this game too? Is there already an RDR Online discord or should I expand the GTA one? I don't actually want to do more work but we already have this stuff rolling...

:shrug:

I don't think i'm in charge of anything, i just do cool OPs. I haven't even played this game because i've got nothing it'll play on at this point. LLJK felt like it had 900 inactive members for GTA:O so something RDR specific would probably be best unless there are like 100 openings in LLJK.

Just do "Leet Like Jed Klampett" and leave it open and call it a day or something. Maybe someone in here could hook us up with a dinosaur riding a unicorn gang image if that's a thing in this game.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

It's not and permanent posses have a bug that eats 200 in game cash and the only fix is to create two permanent posses.

Also perm posses only exist when the posse leader is on. So if 6 people in the posse are playing but the leader isn't, you can't posse up automatically

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Yeah permanent posses are essentially worthless so any group would only exist on discord or whatever

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Glenn Quebec posted:

It's not and permanent posses have a bug that eats 200 in game cash and the only fix is to create two permanent posses.

Also perm posses only exist when the posse leader is on. So if 6 people in the posse are playing but the leader isn't, you can't posse up automatically

lol, damnit Rockstar, why are you like this?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

I like the nebulous nature of it in concept but in practice is blows rear end. I got the bug and the only recourse is to email rockstar support which sucks ballsacks.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Anyone else having trouble getting the gunslinger Billy Midnight quest to activate? No matter how many times I inspect the photo and look at the back of it the quest just won't appear on the map for me. All the others have worked fine.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I've found that in order to fix the i5 stuttering you need to use both BES and Process Lasso at the same time. I was able to solve both me and my friend's stuttering problem completely by doing this. It's possible that some of these steps are unnecessary, but these instructions from start to finish solved our issue. I'll try to make these instructions as simple as possible

-Start BES. Start Process Lasso. Start Red Dead.
-On BES, Click Target. Near the middle are some boxes that say Friend, Unknown, Foe. Select friend.
-Find RDR2.exe. Click Limit/Watch. Click Yes. With RDR2.exe selected, click Friend. Now go to the slidey bar beneath that and set that to 2%.

-On to Process Lasso. Locate RDR2.exe. Right click, select CPU Limiter. Fill in the following:
When CPU Usage is: 94%
For a period of (LEAVE BLANK) seconds
Reduce by this many cores: 2
For a period of 1 second
Click Add Rule.

That should do it. If anyone would like to take these steps and report back I would be very happy to hear the results. Hope this helps you guys!

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Is there any common fix for the crash bugs in PC? I'm constantly crashing with no seeming common theme. Given that saving is limited in missions and the load in time its actually making the game hard to play. I've updated my nvidia drivers

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Powershift posted:

:shrug:

I don't think i'm in charge of anything, i just do cool OPs. I haven't even played this game because i've got nothing it'll play on at this point. LLJK felt like it had 900 inactive members for GTA:O so something RDR specific would probably be best unless there are like 100 openings in LLJK.

Just do "Leet Like Jed Klampett" and leave it open and call it a day or something. Maybe someone in here could hook us up with a dinosaur riding a unicorn gang image if that's a thing in this game.

Glenn Quebec posted:

Yeah I also learned today that private server types don't exist anymore beyond freeaim/autoaim and session sweeper/hanging the process doesn't clear out lobbies anymore so unless I come up with something clever it might be prohibitive trying to organize the kind of lobby-wide activities we used to do in gta.

The future of rockstar games can't be moving crates all the way down can it :negative:

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?

jisforjosh posted:

ended up having to refund the game

what is the timeframe to do this in and how do i do it

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Tim Raines IRL posted:

what is the timeframe to do this in and how do i do it

No idea on the first bit and I'm still waiting for mine. I put in a Support Ticket on 11/7. Didn't hear back from them until 11/9 with them asking for the order number in the support ticket, and still hasn't processed yet. I'm not playing anymore for fear of going over some arbitrary and unstated time played limit.

https://support.rockstargames.com/categories/115001624507?step=2f601ccf

Click Contact Us and fill that out, I'd suggest email for ticket unless you want to sit in chat for literal days

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I've found that in order to fix the i5 stuttering you need to use both BES and Process Lasso at the same time. I was able to solve both me and my friend's stuttering problem completely by doing this. It's possible that some of these steps are unnecessary, but these instructions from start to finish solved our issue. I'll try to make these instructions as simple as possible

-On BES, Click Target. Near the middle are some boxes that say Friend, Unknown, Foe. Select friend.
-Find RDR2.exe. Click Limit/Watch. Click Yes. With RDR2.exe selected, click Friend. Now go to the slidey bar beneath that and set that to 2%.

-On to Process Lasso. Locate RDR2.exe. Right click, select CPU Limiter. Fill in the following:
For a period of 1 second
Click Add Rule.

That should do it. If anyone would like to take these steps and report back I would be very happy to hear the results. Hope this helps you guys!

What I have done and found success with:

1. Set core affinity to cores 2 and 3 in Task manager
2. Use BES and do the 2% slidey thingy.

It's worked pretty well today so far. I haven't noticed any hitches. I used Process lasso alone for a while but it didn't seem to help. The BES -2% slidey thingy seems to be the magic bullet.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Are we posting screenshots?

Lost in the sauce

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Zigmidge posted:

Got the chance to sit down with this game all weekend. Played about an hour of the single player and like a billion hours of online. I can't help but chuckle when I think of how hyped up this game's story is when five minutes in you can already see the rockstar writing being thrown in your face. It's a gta game through and through and I already feel bad for the carebears that want to play singleplayer multiplayer. That said, simply removing player dots from the world map has gone a very long way in enabling that solo player lifestyle.

Not being a posse leader is very profitable unlike working for a CEO or MC club. Rockstar is also getting very good at paper machéing their moving crates work which is very much still here but because of the world map player dots change, doing public lobby work is a lot more safe, generally.

On to the good poo poo. Now that I'm sunk in this I'm gonna fire up the gif factory and drag as many bad computers down as I can with a thread full of gfys.

Rockstar's art direction and artists have such a ridiculous eye for detail that games like GTA V or RDR 2 will look very good for a long long time in the same way that the Dishonored or Destiny games will.

Finding proper lighting to read by is the real deal

If anybody was ever at all curious, the fashion game in RDR 2 is very strong compared to GTA Online which was already not bad if you took the time to put together good looking outfits. Rockstar has finally figured out that dressing up is all about layering and fixed that for this game. Other than the obvious can'ts you can wear almost anything with anything. Shirts, vests, suspenders, neckwear and coats no longer compete for the same wearable space like they did in GTA.

Thank you for reading my first thoughts post.

I'm going to put some thought into some organized fun we can have with this game and a large crew of goons. A scavenger hunt is the obvious suggestion but people could probably come up with some cool poo poo.

We've been accepting rdr players for a year

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Ikonoklast posted:

If anyone else experience the crash on load in bug. Try going into online mode and load a manual single player save. Fixed it for me.

Quoting to say this worked for me. I thought I was going to have a bug free launch, but after nearly a week of playing, the game finally randomly broke. What a mess of a release.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

For a period of 1 second
Click Add Rule.

I want to try this but I have no idea what BES is because I can't google it and I don't want to pour over the thread trying to find what it's an abbreviation for.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

King Vidiot posted:

I want to try this but I have no idea what BES is because I can't google it and I don't want to pour over the thread trying to find what it's an abbreviation for.

http://mion.faireal.net/BES/

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Zigmidge posted:

I put together an RDR PC goon discord since I couldn't get the link for the original RDR goon discord. https://discordapp.com/invite/HBgmBeJ

Orv
May 4, 2011

Zigmidge posted:

The future of rockstar games can't be moving crates all the way down can it :negative:

You know it is.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Got the trader license. Tried my first long distance route. What a huge loving mistake that was. 20 boring as gently caress minutes later and I almost lost because I wasn't expecting the shootout at the end. Please tell me the local routes are more reasonable because I honestly never want to do that ever again.

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji
Short route has a shootout at the end but you can’t get ganked by players. Do not do the long routes.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

The long route is only worth it if your trader wagon is fully upgraded, you have 3 or more players, AND you dont need the money, you just are bored and want the extra challenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Chuds McGreedy posted:

Short route has a shootout at the end but you can’t get ganked by players. Do not do the long routes.

I mentioned it in my rage post earlier, but is there some trick to keeping the chucklefuck buyers (or any NPCs really) alive in missions like that? The only two missions I’ve actually failed have been because the idiot NPCs get gunned down before I can merc the 15+ enemies that spawn.