Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

I don't have much complaints about the buttons/UI, I actually think its one of the best on console.

In case this helps anyone out: on the equipment/delivery screens you can hold x to confirm anywhere on the menu not just over the confirm "button".

The only thing I wish it had is a shortcut straight to cargo management, there isn't one right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I knew I'd like Kojima Kojimaing everything up with a batshit plot and characters, but I'm amazed that this game really is a walking simulator, and I like it. It's got me thinking about things that are difficult or dangerous IRL but usually easy in games, like running across uneven wet rocky high ground.

Or things that are easy IRL but hard in many games, like climbing over waist high walls and railings.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
snapping necks is v easy in games but v hard irl.

v hard

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I don't understand that many reviews basically said "you get an hour of story, then thirty hours without story, and then ten hours of story in the endgame".

I'm not even close to endgame (chapter 8 at the moment) but where exactly did the "story" cut off? Only because the game doesn't hit you with one cutscene after another after chapter two doesn't mean the story didn't progress...there was enough stuff going on, and a lot of stuff explained.

I understand a lot of criticism for this game, but I think the pacing up until now is fine. I can only assume most of the critics referred to chapter 3 (especially since they weren't allowed to talk about anything after that), and I think it can be pretty different depending on how fast the infrastructure develops (for me it was basically an overnight popup book). But I still am unsure where those twenty or thirty hours of "grind without story" are, unless you enjoy maxing out all the strands in chapter 3 (which then again is no grind if you enjoy it).

To this moment, I think the story progression is fine. A movie with a strong opening will also have it's slower moments afterwards where it builds a world/characters etc.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

I like how the ‘hold X to climb’ can kick in during jumps, can be use to get to some pretty high places when combine it with the running leap, especially if you use the speed focuses exo-legs, been able clear rock formations and walls that at least 20 feet high easily.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Trucks are basically made for scavenge/exploration missions. You roll them around, you park them, get out, get materials, take them back to the truck. Do that for an hour and you'll have a ton of metal and deliveries.

If you're doing a "standard" haul then you want the trike.

Very well made game IMO.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Of course the second I make a post about how the truck sucks I get sent on a mission and it has been the most useful goddamned thing.

The whole area around Chapter 3 is just really bad because the ground is all broken. I literally took this truck through the mountain just now for this leg of the journey and was able to basically bulldoze right through a Mule camp. I also ran a guy over a few seconds after Skeletor told me not to kill anyone :buddy:

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

Why do I feel like the only person building roads? I swear I've built all but three roads myself in chapter three. Several of which I fully supplied myself.

I'd think that they wouldn't show up unless you finished them yourself, but three roads were already made when I started chapter three. Upside is a make a shitload of likes from them as they are basically a prayer wheel that everyone grinds.

My only complaints with the game so far at the start of chapter 4 is the writing is super heavy handed and obvious. Looking at you nuke mission! They pretty obviously wrote that expecting people to skip everything and wanted to make drat sure you knew there was a problem with the package labelled "NUKE: DO NOT DELIVER!"

Lexorin fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Nov 11, 2019

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

Macaluso posted:

Of course the second I make a post about how the truck sucks I get sent on a mission and it has been the most useful goddamned thing.

The whole area around Chapter 3 is just really bad because the ground is all broken. I literally took this truck through the mountain just now for this leg of the journey and was able to basically bulldoze right through a Mule camp. I also ran a guy over a few seconds after Skeletor told me not to kill anyone :buddy:

Speaking of, if I hypothetically run over a porter with a truck and turn him into a pancake, do I need to find an incinerator?

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
running dudes over seems to knock them out despite the blood splatters on the screen.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Macaluso posted:

I'm the opposite. I have found trucks to be worthless pains in the rear end that get stuck on every single rock and can't deal with the current area where there's a hundred chasms. The truck has been the most worthless thing I've gotten so far. the bike/walking is easier

The trucks are to haul large amounts of material to pave roads and do large hauls between things connected directly to said roads. I wish you could hook a bike to a truck.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Let me ask about some early game cutscene fashion choices. It’s been awhile and I’m starting to forget.

Which of the following are true?

1. There’s a scene where Amalie is wearing a grey blouse, in this scene she is not wearing a necklace.
2. There’s a scene where Sam is wearing a bridges vest that does not have the porter label.
3. There’s a scene where Sam is nude that shows he has a cross shaped abdominal medical incision scar.

e: I’m pretty sure these are all ‘beach’ scenes.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Nov 11, 2019

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Those are all true as far as I can remember. Sam has that scar on his stomach in the real world, you can see it when you go to take a shower and when he takes his jumpsuit off in cutscenes.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

I swear in that first nude beach scene he was also wearing the Q-pid prior to getting it.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

He was, and the cuffs

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Macaluso posted:

I'm the opposite. I have found trucks to be worthless pains in the rear end that get stuck on every single rock and can't deal with the current area where there's a hundred chasms. The truck has been the most worthless thing I've gotten so far. the bike/walking is easier

Really? You know it can jump right? I was astounded at the terrain it could actually drive over for the hour or so that I used it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

WatermelonGun posted:

snapping necks is v easy in games but v hard irl.

v hard

I can’t find it now but there was a case where a guy was cheating on his girlfriend and attempted to have her killed by having his other woman hide in the back seat of his car and have her snap his girlfriend’s neck while they rode in the front. Surprise! The other woman popped out to turn the girlfriend’s head really hard like she’d seen in countless movies but it didn’t work! The girlfriend ran out of the car and called the cops.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

veni veni veni posted:

Really? You know it can jump right? I was astounded at the terrain it could actually drive over for the hour or so that I used it.

I literally got stuck in between two tiny rocks somehow and jumping wouldn't get me out

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

DalaranJ posted:

Let me ask about some early game cutscene fashion choices. It’s been awhile and I’m starting to forget.

Which of the following are true?

1. There’s a scene where Amalie is wearing a grey blouse, in this scene she is not wearing a necklace.
2. There’s a scene where Sam is wearing a bridges vest that does not have the porter label.
3. There’s a scene where Sam is nude that shows he has a cross shaped abdominal medical incision scar.

e: I’m pretty sure these are all ‘beach’ scenes.

It gets weirder.

Massive (MASSIVE) spoilers for everything. SERIOUSLY.

Sam has the scar in one of the very early beach scenes (the one that's basically the reveal trailer).
Amelie wears red, white and gray on the beach. You also see bridget in white.

I think it's supposed to show you which "version" of amelie you are seeing. The version that wants to destroy everything or the version that sam gave the necklace to.
Which is combined with the fact that there is no amelie and that's just bridget's soul stuck on the beach.

I'm still not totally sure it all lines up despite the mountain of exposition she gives you at the end.
Is she working with Higgs all along? Why have the whole kidnapping thing and chiralium mask?
Or did Higgs just discover this because he has DOOMS and is tapping into her powers? Higgs doesn't seem to know bridget and amelie are the same person. But someone must have given him the doll. He tells fragile it was 'her' plan but he's crazy and is ranting about that sort of thing constantly anyway.
Or she's got a split personality thing going which probably makes the most sense.

Do they actually say if DOOMS is an acronym and I just missed it?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Looks like if you multi-select standard missions and then go to 'premium', you can only see the premium conditions for one of them, but it does select premium for all of them. You can check them all individually first then mass select them but it's a pain in the rear end

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I suggest that maybe, just for a few days, don’t post spoilers, even if they have spoiler tags. Some people don’t have impulse control.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

The truck will not seem super useful until you unlock the ability to do Premium Deliveries, at which point it 180s into the best vehicle. For one mission you'll have to carry like...sixteen containers or some poo poo. Weight limits of more than you and the bike can carry. The Premium stuff pretty much assumes the roads are all built and you have a truck.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
So in the very first body-carry experience in the game helpful souls have already placed a bunch of ladders and ropes and I went right over that drat hill

Is there any info on how the game chooses which players get to interact with each other through shared structures? Obviously they aren't ALL there or it would be a loving mess

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Man, I feel like I’m the only person on my server bothering to build roads.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

It seems like the road situation is very weird because I also have done 90% of the work on all roads on my server

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Monkey Fracas posted:

So in the very first body-carry experience in the game helpful souls have already placed a bunch of ladders and ropes and I went right over that drat hill

Is there any info on how the game chooses which players get to interact with each other through shared structures? Obviously they aren't ALL there or it would be a loving mess
I'm sure the game is cleverly deciding which objects to show you based on the story progression and game balance. That's why everyone feels like they see the first few sections of road and then they have to build the rest themselves, because the game won't actually reveal that section of the road as built by someone else until much later.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Monkey Fracas posted:

You’re on a server with a limited number of people. This way even people who start playing the game years from now will have a similar experience to people now because they’ll be lumped together with other people joining at the same time.

I’m guessing may have scarce or plenty infrastructure depending on if you’re the first or last person assigned to a server.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I'm just assuming people stopped building roads once they unlocked the zipline because they're stupidly good for how cheap they are.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Steve Yun posted:

You’re on a server with a limited number of people. This way even people who start playing the game years from now will have a similar experience to people now because they’ll be lumped together with other people joining at the same time.

I’m guessing may have scarce or plenty infrastructure depending on if you’re the first or last person assigned to a server.
I don't think this is how it actually works.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

American McGay posted:

I'm sure the game is cleverly deciding which objects to show you based on the story progression and game balance. That's why everyone feels like they see the first few sections of road and then they have to build the rest themselves, because the game won't actually reveal that section of the road as built by someone else until much later.

I think the game forces you to slog through the first mission in an area with no help. Once you connect the area to the chiral network with your Q-Pid, the infrastructure starts popping up. The more you deliver, the more “bandwidth” the area gets and more infrastructure shows up.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

as soon as strand contracts became available, I made a couple with the guys whose buildings I had already noticed a couple times and appreciated and now I see their good stuff all the time, and they seem way ahead of me in story progression so I'm basically always following in their footsteps, which they've helpfully littered with ladders across gorges and generators in just the right places you'd want a generator

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
dividing sparrows from the nightingales
I didn't think the roads were really adding much until I saw that someone built a road behind the southern lake distro center which gives you a straight shot to the junk dealer territory, thereby ending the hassle of going halfway around the elder's mountain to get to junk dealer territory, which saved a lot of hassle with the 'special delivery for Fragile' mission in late chapter three.

Also I was probably too clever by half for that mission because I immediately read the item description which spoils the twist(?) but I assumed if I brought it to Fragile she would blow up so I dumped it at one of the random shelters someone built next to the highway between lake knox and the distro center and kept driving and it exploded when I'd driven like 300 feet away and made me restart :shrug:

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

I literally played chapter 3 for 8+ hours yesterday (I know, but I was building roads) and never once saw a road be completed even after linking an area that had an uncompleted road. And yet I still get 1400+ likes every delivery for people pleasing due to road usage. So I can only surmise that only a very small percentage of people are willing to raid a MULE camp with a truck for poo poo tons of ceramic and metal to build the damned things.

Either that or it doesn't give you roads unless you complete them and then just gives you fake likes based on an algorithm. This may be more true as it seems that regardless of the number of roads built, the number of likes I get doesn't change except by a factor of time (more like given for longer durations between deliveries).

I feel like I need the always sunny murder board meme or the lady thinking math one...

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
It would be very funny if it turned out there was no actual multiplayer or shared buildings and everything was just simulated.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I've had a road in the middle of the mountains finished for me. And some of the spots randomly have almost half the materials filled in. It's definitely still happening but not as much when you get to Port knot city for the first time.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

*crucible-ishly*

Death Stranding: More weight

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
The story is somewhat interesting but honestly this game is great because of the gameplay. Skip all the cutscenes and watch them on youtube and just enjoy the game. That's what I'm doing. I'm going to grind out building the entire road system for the likes and enjoy doing it the entire time.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Broken Cog posted:

It would be very funny if it turned out there was no actual multiplayer or shared buildings and everything was just simulated.

I'm sure there's some degree of automation programmed to kick in once engagement withers a year or two from now, but I can't imagine it's going currently.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
it seems like you have to build the roads yourself for the most part. i've had people complete my roads but I always have to start them (and I always end up putting the majority of resources in them).

Which is probably good otherwise you'd have prebuilt roads everywhere instantly. (come drive across america on our roads dripping with black hell-slime!)

It also doesn't spawn things you haven't unlocked yet. Though I did see a private room shelter thing before I'd unlocked constructing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Lexorin posted:

I literally played chapter 3 for 8+ hours yesterday (I know, but I was building roads) and never once saw a road be completed even after linking an area that had an uncompleted road. And yet I still get 1400+ likes every delivery for people pleasing due to road usage. So I can only surmise that only a very small percentage of people are willing to raid a MULE camp with a truck for poo poo tons of ceramic and metal to build the damned things.

Either that or it doesn't give you roads unless you complete them and then just gives you fake likes based on an algorithm. This may be more true as it seems that regardless of the number of roads built, the number of likes I get doesn't change except by a factor of time (more like given for longer durations between deliveries).

I feel like I need the always sunny murder board meme or the lady thinking math one...

I built the first and third parts of the road in chapter 3 and other people filled in the missing parts. I now have a road going all the way to just past the depot in the middle of the map. Lots of auto-pavers with half the resources populated which makes me wonder if mostly they want you to build or finish building roads.