Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Dr Zaius posted:

I'm the only Canadian on the discord I frequent and no one understands how monumental this is.

I completely understand. I honestly never thought this day would come, I absolutely assumed he was dying in the chair. And even beyond the racism, Don has been getting every single name on Coaches Corner wrong for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

AsInHowe posted:

I completely understand. I honestly never thought this day would come, I absolutely assumed he was dying in the chair. And even beyond the racism, Don has been getting every single name on Coaches Corner wrong for a while.

The Dad Bab Clock has struck midnight, finally

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

also apology or not, don mclean should absolutely get the axe too over this. he's the most squirrely loving dweeb, he knew absolutely what he's getting into and where Don was gonna go

qtiyd

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Question though: can we still use the theme song to Coach’s Corner for something? Because no matter what you think of the guy it was associated with, that track is loving boss.

Hopefully something not racist this time.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.
Good riddance.

Not looking forward to the conservative outrage machine that will froth at the mouth about this, but it's still worth it.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

grack posted:

Wait, so who's going to make Ron MacLean's life a living hell now?

Considering Hometown Hockey, pretty much the rest of Canada

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Wonderllama posted:

Our only regret is that we can only fire don cherry once.

qft

also thankfully Canada came to our senses at the last minute and did not elect Don Cherry greatest Canadian, instead opting for left-wing titan who brought public health care to Canada

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ColdBlooded posted:

Good riddance.

Not looking forward to the conservative outrage machine that will froth at the mouth about this, but it's still worth it.

I think it's going to be the alt-right only, honestly. Even the mainstream and sports coverage up here from conservative sources has been "yeah it's time to go Don."

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
yeah good riddance, I don't know who the audience was that was even keeping the piece of poo poo on the air. Nobody from where I am cares one bit about Don Cherry, I don't expect anyone will even mention it at work tomorrow.

Maybe this sacrifice is enough to get the Maple Leafs a Stanley Cup.

Kerrow
Mar 18, 2011

ZERO-G HERO
lmao :byewhore:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

C ya nerd :byewhore:

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

As with all racists, if Don had thought for three seconds about things and not singled out immigrants and chastised everyone who doesn't buy a poppy he'd be celebrated right now. What an idiot.

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc
A blessed day.

ThinkTank posted:

I'm certainly not sorry to see him go after that, but man it's a little sad to see such an institution dumped so unceremoniously.

Perhaps it would have been best he'd been quietly let go over the summer like it was rumoured.

Nah, he didn't deserve to go out on his terms and get some celebration tour. I'm glad he's going out shamefully.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I remember when I was a teen and there was talk of firing him for bad mouthing french-canadian hockey players, which is something we all can support.

In retrospect he probably should have been fired into the sun around 1981 or so.

gently caress, this was in 2002 or whatever and he is obviously lost it years before.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

ThinkTank posted:

As with all racists, if Don had thought for three seconds about things and not singled out immigrants and chastised everyone who doesn't buy a poppy he'd be celebrated right now. What an idiot.

If only the professional Communicator knew how to communicate, as opposed to communicating badly in an absolute empty-net layup of a situation.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Arivia posted:

I think it's going to be the alt-right only, honestly. Even the mainstream and sports coverage up here from conservative sources has been "yeah it's time to go Don."

...and right on cue, Faith Goldy posted some bullshit on the twitters

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

The irony of these poo poo heads making the conversation all about a racist old hockey man on Remembrance Day of all days

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

remembrance day is now "hey remember when don cherry got fired for being a racist?"

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I'm not really familiar with his body of work, was he a bad broadcaster or just a good broadcaster who was racist?

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.

Arivia posted:

Even the Barstool guys are pro-firing, which is kind of a good illustration of where we are.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

My girlfriend doesn’t really know who Don Cherry is and when I played that clip for her she audibly gasped when he said the really bad parts

For hockey fans who are used to him is bad. For casual fans and everyone else it’s much, much worse and I think he was going to get the axe for this no matter what

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
https://mobile.twitter.com/pgammo/status/1193994282035793921

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Gonna wear my Kadri jersey at work tonight to celebrate this excellent news.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Starsfan posted:

yeah good riddance, I don't know who the audience was that was even keeping the piece of poo poo on the air. Nobody from where I am cares one bit about Don Cherry, I don't expect anyone will even mention it at work tomorrow.

Maybe this sacrifice is enough to get the Maple Leafs a Stanley Cup.

Alberta

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

General Dog posted:

I'm not really familiar with his body of work, was he a bad broadcaster or just a good broadcaster who was racist?

He was bad and racist

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Number19 posted:

He was bad and racist

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

General Dog posted:

It's ramped up in latter years, but Don was well-known for getting almost every player's name wrong. He got multiple names wrong in the last Coaches Corner, including Henrik Lundqvist.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

AsInHowe posted:

It's ramped up in latter years, but Don was well-known for getting almost every player's name wrong. He got multiple names wrong in the last Coaches Corner, including Henrik Lundqvist.

He's hosed up the most white bread toronto names of all time before

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
I can't loving believe it. I thought Don would at least outlast the Queen.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Ironic that the people born right after the Silent Generation won't shut the gently caress up about anything

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

He's being defended by a man literally called Gammon. Reality is too on the nose

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

who the hell replaces don cherry

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

A fun game is looking at the people who responded negatively to that sportsnet twitter post, going to their profiles and seeing how many have not recently retweeted some anti Muslim rhetoric. It's harder than you think!

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Aye Doc posted:

Brian Burke.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Aye Doc posted:

How ready are you for more Jeff Marek?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Maybe we could program a speak and spell with "lookit this here" "hey, look at this guy", "whabadabadaba" and "sidney crosby what a good kid" and just have that be the show

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
And on this day of Rememberance, we take a second for a thought about how Don Cherry got fired for being a raciest bitch.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Aye Doc posted:

An air horn on a stool that goes off randomly during Coach’s Corner specifically to freak the poo poo out of Ron MacLean, who is only permitted to sit there silently and be blasted by the air horn.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://twitter.com/propagandhi/status/1193994623821254658

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/zibanejams/status/1193980059834552320