Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I can't imagine a real person putting half of the materials needed for a road into a builder and then just leaving it there. A lot of this stuff is probably highly influenced by the game to control player progress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I'm at the part where I have to make Mama's sister happy. There's a bunch of undelivered poo poo scattered around the base. Am I really gonna have to go around delivering this to get her approval? More importantly, do I actually have to slowly move through the BT infested Timefall Snowing mountain to get to the one guy for some of this? Surely this can't be what I have to do now

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Spite posted:

it seems like you have to build the roads yourself for the most part. i've had people complete my roads but I always have to start them (and I always end up putting the majority of resources in them).

I had the exact opposite happen to me. Found an auto-paver that was 3/4ths full, shoved some resources in and finished it up.

The VERY first auto-paver I ever found was empty, though. The one right outside of the Lake. I started it and got it like 60% of the way there + finished it after a delivery and so far it has generated roughly fifty thousands likes for me.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

my understanding of this game based on twitch and reading about it is:

Death Stranding has you roleplay a social-media driven Amazon delivery guy (with guns) in a post-apocalyptic world, through a series of elaborate fetch quests. At the end of the game kojima shames you for putting this much work into helping people in a game but not in real life.

mostly accurate?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Macaluso posted:

I'm at the part where I have to make Mama's sister happy. There's a bunch of undelivered poo poo scattered around the base. Am I really gonna have to go around delivering this to get her approval? More importantly, do I actually have to slowly move through the BT infested Timefall Snowing mountain to get to the one guy for some of this? Surely this can't be what I have to do now

No, but what you have to do is worse! Go back to Mama.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

I had two chunks of road get built for me entirely without any contributions from me. The fact that I'm seeing odd numbers of materials already delivered to the pavers (which shouldn't be possible when you have to hand in containers with even multiples of 40 materials or whatever) makes me think that some small percentage of the materials that other players hand in also gets shared with your instance of the world.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

American McGay posted:

I can't imagine a real person putting half of the materials needed for a road into a builder and then just leaving it there. A lot of this stuff is probably highly influenced by the game to control player progress.

Some of the later roads require so much materials that you would never be able to fill it up all the way in one truck run. So yes you do have to fill it up partly and come back.

Edit: for real though the most useful thing for your metals and ceramic is dumping them into roads whenever possible. If you need to fabricate stuff with them usually a delivery will give you enough of that material to fabricate all the equipment you'd need for hours.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
For now roads are the best way to send your rating through the roof. Ever since I started building them my grade has skyrocketed. Even just having contributed to a partially completed road nets me so many likes on a regular basis.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I got lucky since most the roads I've been on are established and I've only had to add a bit to upgrade them.

I think liking stuff more marks you as active and the more active you are, the more you'll be in worlds with other active players.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

There is also some weird stuff you'll see sometimes like a random zip line by itself. So I think the game only pulls in a few things at a time.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Why am I being asked to deliver a nuke by a sketchy dude

Edit: Why is it glowing

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Spite posted:

it seems like you have to build the roads yourself for the most part. i've had people complete my roads but I always have to start them (and I always end up putting the majority of resources in them).

I had like three sections of roads built by other players even before I did the build a road tutorial delivery.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Steve Yun posted:

Don't be a MULE, this guy seems legit.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Steve Yun posted:

Read the item description.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

SardonicTyrant posted:

Don't be a MULE, this guy seems legit.

You’re right I should stop being a troublemaker and just do my job

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Steve Yun posted:

Man, I feel like I’m the only person on my server bothering to build roads.

they rig it so you still have to provide most of the materials yourself i think, maybe related to the "bandwidth" mechanic they mention? there's 3 segments left to connect north/south on my map and it's been like that all day, it would take a single truck trip to finish the full thing

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Maya Fey posted:

they rig it so you still have to provide most of the materials yourself i think, maybe related to the "bandwidth" mechanic they mention? there's 3 segments left to connect north/south on my map and it's been like that all day, it would take a single truck trip to finish the full thing

They don't. I've had entire sections built by other players, I've had 50%+ of materials donated on stuff that I started.

There's going to be variance, some of you are gonna get placed on servers that don't have builders and some of you are gonna get placed on servers that have absolute nerdshoes that just hang around and build poo poo. It only takes one or two of those maniacs to completely turn it around. There's a guy on my server with level 300-something who builds all the best poo poo in all the right places, dude is a gem.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
Yeah once I made it to the western regions the road construction dried up. Maybe I'm outpacing the average community at the moment.

Also I made this elaborate zipline network around the first area. Wind Farm now takes 20 seconds to traverse :)

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Steve Yun posted:

i didn't really get that whole thing. how does sam know what's in the package?? and if he does why does he just let the guy run away?

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Remote stun grenades are amazing! You can airburst them midair if you time them right, and with the bigger blast radius compared to regular stun grenades , you can take out whole groups of MULES.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The social features in this game remind me of the nier automata ending, except in that game it was completely faked for effect and here it's probably just heavily doctored to manage the experience. Not that there's anything wrong with that really, it's clearly effective

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

No Mods No Masters posted:

The social features in this game remind me of the nier automata ending, except in that game it was completely faked for effect

Whoa what

Edit: I’m willing to believe my online experience in this game is being heavily “managed” but this is the first I’ve heard this about Nier

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

No Mods No Masters posted:

The social features in this game remind me of the nier automata ending, except in that game it was completely faked for effect and here it's probably just heavily doctored to manage the experience. Not that there's anything wrong with that really, it's clearly effective

You can actually look at all the people on your server and there's a handful of folks on mine who have just completely outstripped everyone else and have hundreds and hundreds of thousands of likes.

And I opened up their PSN profiles and they are real players, really playing Death Stranding and have different gaming histories.

Try it yourself. It's real.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It's been a while so take with a grain of salt. I mean insofar as IIRC yoko taro came out and admitted that there is no tracked system of other player's saves which get "burned" to protect you during the credits as the game implies, it just pulls names randomly and indefinitely from the list of other people who agreed to the bargain

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Kudos to Kojima for making game where we suspect all the other real people as being various kind of bots and shills.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I don’t think he’s saying they’re fake, I get the suspicion that the game is managing how much of their giveaway stuff we’re actually receiving.

Like, maybe everyone is forced to feed resources into the highway and then the game treats it like a public work that everyone pitched in for. Like real highways and taxes!

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

There is definitely a degree of online manipulation.

For example you will never see structures that you haven't unlocked in the story.

Edit: the great thing about the pc release is that we might get some (via data mining) about the mechanics. I dunno about you but I'm interested to see how Kojima is handling the online structure stuff.

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Nov 11, 2019

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011
Just walked into chapter 4 and ... oh ... thats why they want you to take the assault rifle.

My UPS driver just got called up to deploy with his Red Horse unit it seems

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Hey is my glowing cargo the end of chapter 3? Cause I wanna dick around more before going to chapter 4.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Ineffiable posted:

There is definitely a degree of online manipulation.

For example you will never see structures that you haven't unlocked in the story.

Edit: the great thing about the pc release is that we might get some (via data mining) about the mechanics. I dunno about you but I'm interested to see how Kojima is handling the online structure stuff.

Uhhhhhh Ive definitely seen a lot of private shelters around before unlocking the ability to make those at the Weather Station

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Steve Yun posted:

Hey is my glowing cargo the end of chapter 3? Cause I wanna dick around more before going to chapter 4.

It's generally worth advancing the story since you get more stuff and can always go back.

Chapter 6 (or whatever one is deadman) Takes your BB away temporarily so watch out for that

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Uhhhhhh Ive definitely seen a lot of private shelters around before unlocking the ability to make those at the Weather Station

Yup same

Lanth
Jun 15, 2007
Lipstick Apathy
There's definitely something up with the likes although I wouldn't worry too much about it lest we become MULES.

Built 10 road sections so far, still in chapter 3 and just popped the achievement for 50k likes.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Spite posted:

It's generally worth advancing the story since you get more stuff and can always go back.

Chapter 6 (or whatever one is deadman) Takes your BB away temporarily so watch out for that

Oh so it is the end of 3?

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Lanth posted:

There's definitely something up with the likes although I wouldn't worry too much about it lest we become MULES.

Built 10 road sections so far, still in chapter 3 and just popped the achievement for 50k likes.

LMAO I'm already full MULE, I booted up the game this morning to check my overnight likes.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

gently caress pizza dude. I completed the road from Lake to South, had a zipline network from South Knot to the farm, just because the dude wanted a pizza from there, and then it turns out that you need to transport an extra fragile item IN YOUR HAND in addition to the pizzas, which means no ziplines or vehicles. Now that felt like a waste, though it helped me five star the farm quickly. And now pizza dude wants another delivery - I fear what he wants this time.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

American McGay posted:

I do that all the time, either cause I can't source everything I need easily or I gently caress up the math and come up short

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I have not run into a single zip line placed by a player that is connected to another one. :mad: Despite being able to see another in the distance

edit: Also the things that come out of the ground on bridges come out just late enough that if you're just holding forward without thinking, they WILL knock you on your rear end. Trolly rear end Kojima

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Macaluso posted:

I have not run into a single zip line placed by a player that is connected to another one. :mad: Despite being able to see another in the distance
It's probably meant to connect to someone else's zip line that you didn't load in. I feel kinda bad cause I blew almost the entirety of my bandwidth building a huge loving zip network around Mountain Knot but there's one or two links that weren't mine so I suspect the whole thing is worthless