Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Zaphod42 posted:

So, I was gonna ask if one of you Quest having goons could test my project and let me know how the performance is, I'm trying to decide how crazy to go with the rendering.

But... it seems like I can't just send you a build. If I want to test on Quest, it looks like I HAVE to buy one myself and test with it tethered to my PC? That kinda blows.

I hate walled gardens.

Is there any way to like, side-load content onto the Quest?

On the bright side I guess this means I can go wild on the graphics assuming you'll have a gaming rig for VR, and then if by some miracle the game does well I can always make a port for Quest later on...

I dunno, I don't think that solves it. Even if the in-game sword stops swinging, that's just as bad if not even worse. Breaking where my sword is in my hand vs where I see the sword in VR is... bad.

I think the only way you can 'fix it' is with some complex haptics rig that's gonna cost $10,000. It'll be an arcade-only experience.

Lmao, same

Huh? You can just enable developer mode on any Quest and sideload an APK with Sidequest. That's all above board.

PM me a .APK of your build and I'll performance test it. Framerate testing used to be my day job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

ClassH posted:

I figured this out, played 2 hours when I first got it then thought I lost all my scores.
Click on the song you want to see the score of, then select the difficulty you did it on, then on the leader board to the right click the 3rd(i think) icon down, the one with the person and globe. When you click that if you look back at the level it shows the score now.

Ah! Good! Finally I can see all of my C-level scores.

And it's me, the guy who likes the default Beat Saber/Pistol Whip/SynthRiders soundtracks :shobon:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Zero VGS posted:

Huh? You can just enable developer mode on any Quest and sideload an APK with Sidequest. That's all above board.

PM me a .APK of your build and I'll performance test it. Framerate testing used to be my day job.

Awesome, thanks! I was hoping that would be the case. I was like, its Android isn't it? I did some googling and couldn't find any side-loading but I don't have one so I'm admittedly totally out of the loop on oculus stuff.

I have a lot of stuff to do but I'm probably at the point already where we can tell if HDRP is gonna be go/no-go on Quest (i'm guessing no-go)

In theory I could build a port that used most of the same assets but swapped out the render pipeline and the materials but it'd be a pain in the rear end to manage both.

Although, at the moment it only has SteamVR input support so that may not even play nice with Oculus Quest... hm. Downloading the Android SDK now and I guess we can find out.

E: Okay yeah nah, gently caress that. Just trying to compile it for Android I ran into dozens of issues, was going to have to change the color space and all kinds of little settings that would then be off for Desktop, too much for a solo dev to handle. Gonna move this to LWRP and then try again. I'll let you know if I have something ready later that I want to benchmark, thanks!

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Nov 12, 2019

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
for extra pain try pistol whip while trying to keep your feet planted. just sway and squat to dodge. it took me 3 days to recover

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
All I've thought looking at Pistol whip is it's gonna turn VR users into Gunkata masters.

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all
So what’s the official word on loading custom songs on my current updated steam version of Beat Saber?

Will they remove my copy of the game? Lock my PC? Send me lawsuits?

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

E: Okay yeah nah, gently caress that. Just trying to compile it for Android I ran into dozens of issues, was going to have to change the color space and all kinds of little settings that would then be off for Desktop, too much for a solo dev to handle. Gonna move this to LWRP and then try again. I'll let you know if I have something ready later that I want to benchmark, thanks!

Note that Quest is rec.2020 which is probably (?) more than most android devices.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
Play Maul style aka no ammo mode if you want to be in a world of hurt. 5 hours of pistol whip for shooting my first vid was nothing compared to this.
Took me 2 hours to get this and I was destroyed for 3 days afterwards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeQGRd6gxwI

I think it more or less got me Pistol Whipped because now I can PW for 2 hours a few times a week and idgaf

rage-saq fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Nov 12, 2019

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SabinBlitz posted:

So what’s the official word on loading custom songs on my current updated steam version of Beat Saber?

Will they remove my copy of the game? Lock my PC? Send me lawsuits?

Nah. Chasing after PC modding is a fools errand and nobody's stupid enough to try to stop it anymore. Oculus did it to the Quest version to lock down the headset (as far as they can with an Android device) because they've got Facebook's social VR platform coming. Cant have anyone poking at THAT under the hood, for a variety of reasons, and killing Beat Saber's modding is a very loud message to send.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Nah. Chasing after PC modding is a fools errand and nobody's stupid enough to try to stop it anymore. Oculus did it to the Quest version to lock down the headset (as far as they can with an Android device) because they've got Facebook's social VR platform coming. Cant have anyone poking at THAT under the hood, for a variety of reasons, and killing Beat Saber's modding is a very loud message to send.

No they didn't, this is false.
The original beaton mod creator decided they didn't want to mess with it anymore after an Oculus TOS change, then they open sourced their project and said peace out. BMBF came from that a few days later and its like nothing happened.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

rage-saq posted:

No they didn't, this is false.
The original beaton mod creator decided they didn't want to mess with it anymore after an Oculus TOS change, then they open sourced their project and said peace out. BMBF came from that a few days later and its like nothing happened.

This was the point of the TOS change. I wouldn't be surprised if they deliver on the TOS threats at some point in the next few months just to scare off more modders

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Neddy Seagoon posted:

This was the point of the TOS change. I wouldn't be surprised if they deliver on the TOS threats at some point in the next few months just to scare off more modders

That is speculative and there is no basis as this is the reason. Oculus has not contacted anybody and will not be doing so. Modding on quest is alive and well just as it has ever been, implicating anything otherwise is reactionary bullshit with no basis in reality.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

lol, quoting for posterity.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

EbolaIvory posted:

Everyone is finding this out. And a lot of us warned people.

Roommate didn't listen either. Shes been in bed most of the day sore.

How? What weird rear end turns are you guys doing that you're hurting yourselves? I played for two hours yesterday and I feel fine.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

EbolaIvory posted:

This is really good feedback and im gonna put it in the discord.

Couldn't find a public discord I could post to so a few more ideas you could pass along if you like them.

Optional sound effect for making a pistol whip motion. Add a third noise to beat make with.

Get a small bonus for reloading on time to music. Like an extra bullet or two in your clip nothing major. Sort of like Gears of War timed reloads.

Official modifier for melee only mode. No ammo, just whipping.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

rage-saq posted:

Play Maul style aka no ammo mode if you want to be in a world of hurt. 5 hours of pistol whip for shooting my first vid was nothing compared to this.
Took me 2 hours to get this and I was destroyed for 3 days afterwards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=?xeQGRd6gxwI

I think it more or less got me Pistol Whipped because now I can PW for 2 hours a few times a week and idgaf

Link doesn't work.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

ClassH posted:

Link doesn't work.

Whoops
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeQGRd6gxwI

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
What's the consensus on asgard's wrath?
Youtube folk love it, but they always do, and it's not an impulse purchase price point, not seen you dudes talk about it much unless I missed it?

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

peter gabriel posted:

Youtube folk love it, but they always do, and it's not an impulse purchase price point, not seen you dudes talk about it much unless I missed it?

From what I hear from VR friends it’s got somewhat unresponsive waggle combat feel and lots of tedium that doesn’t make sense.
It looks fairly missable to me.
Basically par for the course for Oculus funded games.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

dogstile posted:

How? What weird rear end turns are you guys doing that you're hurting yourselves? I played for two hours yesterday and I feel fine.

Limbo-ing under bullets like Neo.

Feels good and then... feels bad.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Zaphod42 posted:

Limbo-ing under bullets like Neo.

Feels good and then... feels bad.

Oh right, I just stepped to the side :v:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

dogstile posted:

Yeah generally I dance to the left and then dance to the right and back and forth, but sometimes you've got a hail of bullets coming your way or you were surprised by an enemy around a corner and you kinda panic and just dodge the first way you think. And then you regret it lol.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

peter gabriel posted:

I've not played it, but Lemming's thoughts on it were basically "mediocre game with 2016-level VR object interactivity that blows unless it's your first VR game."

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

dogstile posted:

When you do it for a living you tend to play up the acting.

So limbos, spins, overly hard pistol whips for no reason. Ya know.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Thief simulator is out and only $13.49 (10% off)

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1019550

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
Thief Simulator VR is good and fun, a fair amount of content too! It feels like it is the prototype for something like GTA in VR, it is a little rough but it nails a lot of the right elements and is just silly to play around with.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Prey got a random update for vr multi-player in the Rouge lite dlc. Hoping to try that soon, anyone else give it a go yet?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
On the other hand, Asgard's Wrath is probably one of the longest built for VR games made so far. It is a 20-40 hour RPG game with some really great visuals with lots of quests, side quests, and hidden quests.

I think the parts people don't quite enjoy is that it isn't a fully physics based combat game like Blade and Sorcery. Like, for certain enemies you have to parry certain attacks to stun them to open up damage windows. Plus, there are gimmicky boss fights like where the boss stands at a distance and throws things at you and you have to shoot them down with a bow and arrow until he throws a blue thing. When you shoot that one, it reflects back and damages the boss. You know, standard video game boss battle logic.

There are some people don't want standard video game stuff in their VR games while some people don't mind at all. It will mainly depend on you.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Nalin posted:

On the other hand, Asgard's Wrath is probably one of the longest built for VR games made so far. It is a 20-40 hour RPG game with some really great visuals with lots of quests, side quests, and hidden quests.

I think the parts people don't quite enjoy is that it isn't a fully physics based combat game like Blade and Sorcery. Like, for certain enemies you have to parry certain attacks to stun them to open up damage windows. Plus, there are gimmicky boss fights like where the boss stands at a distance and throws things at you and you have to shoot them down with a bow and arrow until he throws a blue thing. When you shoot that one, it reflects back and damages the boss. You know, standard video game boss battle logic.

There are some people don't want standard video game stuff in their VR games while some people don't mind at all. It will mainly depend on you.

I should really reinstall oculus home and revive and check that out. I just worry itll be a waste of time and I'll get bored an hour in.

:(

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

EbolaIvory posted:

I should really reinstall oculus home and revive and check that out. I just worry itll be a waste of time and I'll get bored an hour in.

:(

For what it's worth, I lost interest in VR about a year ago or so, after starting with the DK2 and getting a launch CV1. Asgard's Wrath convinced me to get a S and build a new computer. I really really liked it. It looks nice, it plays nice, and it changes things up just enough to have kept my interest long enough to beat it. While the combat was a lot of fun for the majority of the game (I ended up putting it on easy near the end because while initially the parry mechanic/break shield was fun, it did start to get a bit stale after 25 hours. The last 3-4 hours I just wanted to explore and solve the puzzles and find the hidden stuff).

I also believe that they are going to somewhat rework the combat. Someone from Oculus who worked on the game is very active on reddit and mentioned that. They didn't go into details what that will entail though.

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Nov 12, 2019

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

zer0spunk posted:

Prey got a random update for vr multi-player in the Rouge lite dlc. Hoping to try that soon, anyone else give it a go yet?

You have a link to this, I can't really find anything about it.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

I think asguards wrath suffers from being a VR game with a long enough dev cycle that what were decent VR mechanics when it started development feel dated now it's released.

It's presentation is stellar and it actually has a story etc which is a rare thing in VR.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

zer0spunk posted:

the game files underwent miniscule changes so it's probably nothing interesting.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Their community manager has posted about it on reddit. Apparently they've finally combined their bad VR mode and their bad multiplayer mode, only ten months later than promised.

I must admit, I'm not expecting miracles.

Jack Trades posted:

the game files underwent miniscule changes so it's probably nothing interesting.

Aren't those just showing changes in file size, not the amount that has changed? So any amount of the content in the pak file could have changed, all it's saying is that the final size is 6mb bigger.

NRVNQSR fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Nov 12, 2019

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/ProperD_VR/status/1194120137747644416?s=20

That's with deadeye on

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Harminoff posted:

Thief simulator is out and only $13.49 (10% off)

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1019550

That price is a steal...

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Proper_D is a total beast at this game.
The game also needs a better scoring mode so this isn’t possible, it’s pretty much impossible to get a perfect score in beat saber.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Anybody play Dr. Who yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-AjWi6j1fE

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

rage-saq posted:

Proper_D is a total beast at this game.
The game also needs a better scoring mode so this isn’t possible, it’s pretty much impossible to get a perfect score in beat saber.

Hes a beast period.

You seen him play contractors?

He will dual AWPs with no scopes, and use his body to reload and rechamber rounds. While just destroying people no scope 1 in each hand.

The guy is a prodigy at shooters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
Playing Pistol whip for 90-120 min made me audibly grunt/scream whenever I got up from being a lazy full body piece of poo poo in VRchat for about 2 days straight.

It's like doing constant squats/core bullshit workouts when you really get into it. You simply forget you're exercising (and annihilating your weak goon body) when you're having that much fun :lol:

Worth it, gonna play some more now!