Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Volguus posted:

Hmm, the asus adapter is only 85CAD on amazon.ca . Hmm, that looks quite reasonable.

The adapter is reasonable because it's just a bunch of wires on a pcb. All the stuff to make a 16->4x4 lane split work is on the motherboard, and the number of mobos that support it is low. Unless you have a threadripper, xeon, or -X intel system it probably doesn't work.

look up what "Intel VROC" is before you buy :stonklol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
I have a 7820X CPU on an X299 motherboard. After the video card slot, the next best I have is an PCI3.0x8 slot. So yeah, I will not be able to use 4 of these ssd's in my system. As for VROC: thanks, but no thanks. I have the slot for the key, but it's silly to expect people to buy such a thing.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Amazon currently has pretty damned good prices on the PCIe 4.0 Sabrent Phison E16 drives: https://techbargains.com/deals/sabrent-rocket-ssd

The literature claims 3400/3000 R/W, but reviews are showing 4k+. Moot point if you're not running PCIe 4.0, though.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Amazon currently has pretty damned good prices on the PCIe 4.0 Sabrent Phison E16 drives: https://techbargains.com/deals/sabrent-rocket-ssd

The literature claims 3400/3000 R/W, but reviews are showing 4k+. Moot point if you're not running PCIe 4.0, though.

Yah those phison controllers I get 4.8GB/s reads and 4.2 writes on an x570 using fio with 1M block size. Not maxing the bus out by any stretch but still pretty nice.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
https://slickdeals.net/f/13525366-sandisk-ultra-3d-nand-2tb-internal-ssd-sata-iii-6-gb-s-2-5-7mm-sdssdh3-2t00-g25-3d-nand-ssd-for-179-99

go hogge wilde

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
If I have a 2.5" SATA 500 GB Samsung 850 Evo, aside from more space is there performance gains I could be getting by looking into a Black Friday upgrade? Is there a go to?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

KingKapalone posted:

If I have a 2.5" SATA 500 GB Samsung 850 Evo, aside from more space is there performance gains I could be getting by looking into a Black Friday upgrade? Is there a go to?

Depends on your usecase but if you have to ask, no you don't need a performance upgrade. Sata 3 SSDs are more than fast enough for the vast majority of usecases on PC and you would be hard pressed to notice a difference in real world use.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

KingKapalone posted:

Performance gains for what? Video game loading time? No. Windows boot time? A tiny bit. 4k video editing or heavy database work? Yes.

On black friday you may be able to find some good deals on NVMe drives where you're not paying any more than a sata drive. If it's the same price why not? But personally I'd rather have a 2 TB sata SSD than a 1TB nvme, because I don't do anything that seriously benefits.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

KingKapalone posted:

Going by past deals history: 1/2TB version of the Sabrent Rocket, HP EX920, Adata XPG 8200 Pro for ~$100/~$200 or Intel 660p 2TB (QLC warning) ~$150. The rest would probably be still too overpriced to even bother.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Thanks, I just game and read the internet. Doesn't sound like I need anything.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I mostly like NVMe drives for reducing cabling in my machines and consider the small price premium to be that privilege.

Also, is the heatsink for that Sabrent drive worthwhile if you push those 4 GBps and 300k IOPS for over an hour or two? I run deep learning stuff along with some intensive jobs on several TB of data at a time where I get maybe 400 MBps off of my ZFS array and am strongly considering the 2 TB SSD

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

necrobobsledder posted:

I mostly like NVMe drives for reducing cabling in my machines and consider the small price premium to be that privilege.

Also, is the heatsink for that Sabrent drive worthwhile if you push those 4 GBps and 300k IOPS for over an hour or two? I run deep learning stuff along with some intensive jobs on several TB of data at a time where I get maybe 400 MBps off of my ZFS array and am strongly considering the 2 TB SSD

You can get m.2 SATA drives, before I stepped up to an NVMe one I had a (I think) MX500 in m.2

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

You can get m.2 SATA drives, before I stepped up to an NVMe one I had a (I think) MX500 in m.2

WD Blue, Samsung 860 EVO, Kingstong A400, ADATA SU800...most of your SATA drives are availbale in M.2 SATA as well

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Palladium posted:

Going by past deals history: 1/2TB version of the Sabrent Rocket, HP EX920, Adata XPG 8200 Pro for ~$100/~$200 or Intel 660p 2TB (QLC warning) ~$150. The rest would probably be still too overpriced to even bother.

FWIW 660p is good enough for 99% of uses that don't require high reliability/durability -- mezzanine tier backup/offload, day-to-day use as long as you aren't running a database on it

For <$50 more TLC isn't bad, but for anything a normal consumer would do the 660p is fine. Great for a secondary game drive

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Malcolm XML posted:

FWIW 660p is good enough for 99% of uses that don't require high reliability/durability -- mezzanine tier backup/offload, day-to-day use as long as you aren't running a database on it

For <$50 more TLC isn't bad, but for anything a normal consumer would do the 660p is fine. Great for a secondary game drive

I have a 2 TB 660p as a game drive, it's great for that use. And a Adata SX8200 Pro for my OS.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

necrobobsledder posted:

Agreed, but if you're anything like me and want as much capacity as possible, you're gonna populate all the m.2 slots and all your SATA ports with the maximum number of drives. :3:

necrobobsledder posted:

Heat can definitely cause NVMe SSDs to throttle, so a heat sink/spreader will likely make a difference. For reference, the controller should be cool but the NAND flash works better while warm.

Lambert posted:

I have a 2 TB 660p as a game drive, it's great for that use. And a Adata SX8200 Pro for my OS.

I can confirm that this is an excellent pairing for gaming laptops/NUCs!

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Binary Badger posted:

Also, if I were you, I would maybe get either the Samsung or the SanDisk models as some folks have run into issues with upgrading their BootROM / firmware with no-names.

Thanks for posting this because I would have walked right into that one on a 2011 MBP I'm planning on taking on freshenning up. May have put the bill up a bit as I was targetting some of the AData SSDs I've seen discussed.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Are the WD Reds good or are they just relabeled WD Blacks left over from whenever they terminated the SATA option for that product line?

I mean, 140 bucks for a 1TB 5 Year/600TBW SATA SSD isn’t great but if it were punching at like an 860 EVO level it might be worth it?

:confused:

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Schadenboner posted:

Are the WD Reds good or are they just relabeled WD Blacks left over from whenever they terminated the SATA option for that product line?

I mean, 140 bucks for a 1TB 5 Year/600TBW SATA SSD isn’t great but if it were punching at like an 860 EVO level it might be worth it?

:confused:

No reason to buy a $140 1TB red when the 1TB blue is frequently around $100. The Red is theoretically higher endurance (600TBW vs 400TBW), but if you were to write 100GB per day, every day you wouldn't hit 400TBW for 11 years. And you're extremely unlikely to write 100GB per day.

No real reason to spend extra money on SATA these days. Buy NVMe unless your motherboard doesn't physically support it. If you're stuck with SATA just spend $100/TB and be done with it.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

BeastOfExmoor posted:

No reason to buy a $140 1TB red when the 1TB blue is frequently around $100. The Red is theoretically higher endurance (600TBW vs 400TBW), but if you were to write 100GB per day, every day you wouldn't hit 400TBW for 11 years. And you're extremely unlikely to write 100GB per day.

No real reason to spend extra money on SATA these days. Buy NVMe unless your motherboard doesn't physically support it. If you're stuck with SATA just spend $100/TB and be done with it.

The QNAP-932 has 4x 2.5” slots but no M.2s (much less NVMe), sadly.

Still, good advice, thanks!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Heners_UK posted:

Thanks for posting this because I would have walked right into that one on a 2011 MBP I'm planning on taking on freshenning up. May have put the bill up a bit as I was targetting some of the AData SSDs I've seen discussed.

Only an issue if you are at an earlier macOS like El Capitan. Use a non-Apple vendor (anyone other than Samsung / SanDisk / Toshiba) and your BootROM will refuse to update, which may cause macOS to fall flat on its face in later revisions on the next boot after the update.

As you have a 2011, the highest OS you can go to is High Sierra, but even revisions of that still get BootROM updates. So far..

If you still have the original Apple issued hard drive it's not an issue, just keep it around as Apple will allow BootROM updates from that.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Schadenboner posted:

The QNAP-932 has 4x 2.5” slots but no M.2s (much less NVMe), sadly.

Still, good advice, thanks!

Oh, you're putting them in a NAS, I didn't realize that. The product page certainly plays up the idea of it being purpose built for NAS, but the vagueness of their claims makes me think it's mostly marketing. Someone here may know better.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Binary Badger posted:

If you still have the original Apple issued hard drive it's not an issue, just keep it around as Apple will allow BootROM updates from that.

Well I might but it's in my home server now living out its golden years. I'll just grab one of the known brands you listed.

mfny
Aug 17, 2008
So I bought one of these for my Ryzen upgrade:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07VXCFNVS/

Things now load almost comically fast.. wow.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
RE: WD Red, the thing it might have over a Blue is better power loss handling. Here's a picture from anandtech, I think all those micro capacitors over on the right are a lot more juice than a recent blue of that size has. For a NAS cache drive that makes sense, though whether it's worth paying extra for depends on what you do with your NAS.

That's a thing that is often a hidden difference between minimum-cost drives and the somewhat more expensive ones. For example, the Adata SU800 -- which is a fine drive with good performance -- has bupkus. That doesn't mean the su800 should not a recommended consumer drive ITT, but it is an example of where cheap brands save a dime to make a drive that's :10bux: cheaper.

How much importance one puts on power loss events in any particular system is gonna be highly variable. IMO for most applications it's really not worth going out of your way to look for. The difference between zero power loss protection and server grade capacitor banks is limited to the data in the drive's DRAM buffer. The chances of a single power failure doing anything super-critical in most consumer or non-server systems is really low.

And if you live in california or somewhere that the power goes out all the time, the answer is to get a UPS.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Holy crap I hadn't realised NVMe stuff is now price competitive with SSDs, at certain capacities at least: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sabrent-Rocket-Internal-Performance-SB-ROCKET-1TB/dp/B07LGF54XR/

I have to get a PCI-E adapter because my mobo is like 5 years old or something, and it's only going to be able to run on PCI-E 2.0, but still it will be way faster. Massive VR game loading times, begone (somewhat).

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

El Grillo posted:

Holy crap I hadn't realised NVMe stuff is now price competitive with SSDs, at certain capacities at least: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sabrent-Rocket-Internal-Performance-SB-ROCKET-1TB/dp/B07LGF54XR/

I have to get a PCI-E adapter because my mobo is like 5 years old or something, and it's only going to be able to run on PCI-E 2.0, but still it will be way faster. Massive VR game loading times, begone (somewhat).

Uh, if you're already loading games from SSD now a NVMe drive isn't likely to change loading times on a 5 year old system. You're being constrained by CPU, not read speed.

A nvme drive can carry over to a new system of course, but you should plan for a general upgrade rather than try to stick a nvme drive into an old system.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
I mean if they're literally the same price then it makes no odds except NVMe is better future-proofed.

I did figure though that my chipset/CPU could be a bottleneck on loading times. Though with stuff like loading massive textures (see: Asgard's Wrath, etc.) would an NVMe really make no difference?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

El Grillo posted:

I mean if they're literally the same price then it makes no odds except NVMe is better future-proofed.

I did figure though that my chipset/CPU could be a bottleneck on loading times. Though with stuff like loading massive textures (see: Asgard's Wrath, etc.) would an NVMe really make no difference?

NVMe excels at processing large files, like massive video files and database stuff. The first-gen NVMe drives oft times performed worse than their SATA counterparts at processing small files (such as the kind used in general computing tasks/a lot of games). Intel's Optane and Samsung's Z-NAND bridge the gap, but neither company seems in a hurry to make the technologies financially viable for consumer/enthusiast use.

The newer ones have parity with/slightly exceed the performance of SATA 3 drives, and the pricing's gotten down to a point where it makes more sense to use an NVMe drive simply because it's less cabling in your case - the speed is just a nice bonus. As for loading, there are side-by-side comparisons you can watch on Youtube. Just to spoil it for you, outside of a few outliers, it buys you an extra few seconds here and there, and in online games, that just means you load in first and have to wait for everyone else to catch up.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Don't play online much. Loading screens in VR are pretty poo poo, and some of the latest SP VR games have enormous textures to load. I see there are somewhat conflicting reports. Thanks for the info!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

El Grillo posted:

Looks like a MX500 is 15L cheaper, and doesn't need the adapter card. Sata isn't going away any time soon. But get what you like! A 1TB nvme will at least be a good boot drive for a future system.

quote:

The majority of the time spent loading levels isn't getting the massive textures from storage to memory. Textures are easy. It's the objects that are hard.

The enemy grunt soldier is a 1KB text file. That text file tells the engine which models to load, which textures, which audio files he uses for barks and which he might use when he dies, what weapons and armor he has, what his movement and pathing are, his AI, and everything else that makes for a enemy grunt. The weapons and armor are themselves further objects with models, audio, behavior, etc. All of that processing is CPU/memory limited.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Nov 16, 2019

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I've had a Crucial MX500 500GB SSD in storage for about a year now; brand new, unopened. Will it being inactive for that long affect its performance/lifespan in any way?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

teagone posted:

I've had a Crucial MX500 500GB SSD in storage for about a year now; brand new, unopened. Will it being inactive for that long affect its performance/lifespan in any way?

Nope, it's fine. The concern about long-term storage of SSDs is that any data written on them will eventually begin to deteriorate due to charge leakage, not because of any actual physical degradation.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

DrDork posted:

Nope, it's fine. The concern about long-term storage of SSDs is that any data written on them will eventually begin to deteriorate due to charge leakage, not because of any actual physical degradation.

Awesome, thanks for the info :)

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I have a Samsung 830 Pro from ~way back when~ I hadn't plugged in for *years*, and as soon as I hooked it up to an SATA>USB adapter I was still able to get data off of it. I can't speak for *all* the data on the drive, but I was just impressed that it wasn't completely corrupt/unusable.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

teagone posted:

I had to register my Sabrent within 90 days to get the 5 year warranty, so I’d check on that?*

*: concern may be void in jurisdictions with consumer protection laws not written by corps.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Schadenboner posted:

I had to register my Sabrent within 90 days to get the 5 year warranty, so I’d check on that?*

*: concern may be void in jurisdictions with consumer protection laws not written by corps.

Did a quick check on Crucial's website regarding warranty claims and didn't see anything about having to register in order to secure the 5-year limited warranty:

"For SSD products sold after August 28, 2017, any claim must be made within three (3) years or within five (5) years, depending on applicable warranty period for the SSD product purchased, from the original date of purchase or before writing the maximum total bytes written (TBW) as published in the product datasheet and as measured in the product’s SMART data, whichever comes first. Micron CPG shall have no liability thereafter. If there are multiple versions of a product datasheet and the TBW measurement changes between versions, the warranty shall default to the version that was valid at time of purchase. Any claim alleging that any product fails to conform to the foregoing warranty may be made only by the end customer who originally purchased such product and only while such customer owns such product. Micron CPG, at its option, will repair, replace, or provide an in-store credit or refund of either the original purchase price or fair market value, whichever is lower, of any product that is determined by Micron CPG to be defective during the warranty period."

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Schadenboner posted:

Only the crappy bottom tier brands require this. The companies that care more about their rep still put those registration cards in the box to gull some extra data from people, but don't actually require it as long as you have other proof of purchase date.

Sabrent doesn't even have their warranty on the public side of their website, which IMO is a sign of a company that I wouldn't trust to get warranty satisfaction from.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Klyith posted:

Only the crappy bottom tier brands require this. The companies that care more about their rep still put those registration cards in the box to gull some extra data from people, but don't actually require it as long as you have other proof of purchase date.

Sabrent doesn't even have their warranty on the public side of their website, which IMO is a sign of a company that I wouldn't trust to get warranty satisfaction from.

Yeah, I only picked one up because the 512 was cheap and I thought my burner laptop could do NVMe (it only does SATA :sigh:) so I have an extra one sitting around. Maybe I'll use it eventually?

:shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I lost a 2TB MX500 out in the field in an external enclosure with my name and phone number. Let’s see if it turns up.