Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

IMDB | Wikipedia | TVIV: Starwars TV megathread - For discussion of Clone Wars, Rebels, Resistance and other upcoming live action starwars tv shows.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmI7WKrAtqs

Season 1 began airing on Disney+ on November 12th.

synopsis posted:

After the fall of the Empire, a lone gunfighter makes his way though the outer reaches of the galaxy, far from the authority of the New Republic.

Created by Jon Favreau (Iron Man), alongside Dave Filoni (Clone Wars, Rebels), Kathleen Kennedy, and Colin Wilson. The series will take place five years after the events of Return of the Jedi and follows a Mandalorian bounty hunter beyond the reaches of the New Republic.

The Mandalorian Dyn Jarren (Pedro Pascal) A bounty hunter who pilots the Razor Crest around the Outer Rim in search of fugitives.

Greef Carga (Carl Weathers) a local leader of the Bounty Hunters Guild.

Kuiil (Nick Nolte) A peaceful vapor farmer on the planet Arvala-7.

Cara Dune (Gina Carano), a veteran of the Galactic Civil War who fought for the Rebellion, now lives as a mercenary.

'The Client' (Werner Herzog) appears to be a leader of remnant stormtroopers on an outer planet.

IG-11 (Taikia Waititi) an assassin droid affiliated with the Bounty Hunters Guild.

Moff
Gideon (Giancarlo Esposito) leader of the Imperial remnants in the Outer Rim.

Glossary
Mandalore - A proud world with a rich warrior culture, Mandalore is home to various clans, the world was subjugated by the Empire during the Galactic Civil War.
Beskar - Mandalorian Iron alloy, notable for its high tolerance to extreme forms of damage. Most of it had been stolen and hoarded by the Empire.
Arvala-7 - A desert moon where The Mandalorian is first sent to capture a bounty by 'The Client'.
Navarro - A rocky lava planet, home to an underground enclave of Mandalorians, The Client and imperial remnant and a hotspot for Bounty Hunters.

Mandalorian history
Introduction to Mandalorians - Star Wars Explaied [6min]: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75lkpU6Kg1E

Mandalorian Complete Canon History - Star Wars Explained [4 min]: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woT-x2tyn4Y

Timeline
The Mandalorian takes place 5 years after Return of the Jedi and the destruction of the second Death Star.

In terms of Star Wars years, Return of the Jedi is set in 4 ABY (after the Battle of Yavin) and The Force Awakens is set in 34 ABY, which means The Mandalorian takes place around 9 ABY. This is a period of time when the New Republic, the democratic government formed by the Rebel Alliance following their victory over the Empire, has only a tenuous hold on the galaxy — especially its lawless outskirts.

Episodes
Episodes will air on Disney+ weekly on Fridays following the premier on the 12th of November.

Chapter 1 - The Mandalorian - 12 Nov (dir Dave Filoni)
Chapter 2 - The Child - 15 Nov (dir Rick Famuyiwa) | Discussion begins page 10
Chapter 3 - The Sin - 22 Nov (dir Deborah Chow) | Discussion begins page 25
Chapter 4 - Sanctuary - 29 Nov (dir Bryce Dallas Howard) | Discussion begins page 41
Chapter 5 - The Gunslinger - 06 Dec (dir Dave Filoni) | Discussion begins page 61
Chapter 6 - The Prisoner - 13 Dec (dir Rick Famuyiwa) | Discussion begins page 71
Chapter 7 - The Reckoning - 18 Dec (dir Deborah Chow) | Discussion begins page 82
Chapter 8 - Redemption - 27 Dec (dir Taika Waititi) | Discussion begins page 98

Season 2 has been confirmed and is in pre-production.

Posters

Spoilers
:siren: Untagged spoilers will appear below this post, scroll at your own risk :siren:

drunkill fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Dec 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
That ending, hoooo boy.

That said, I did enjoy it quite a bit.

I hope there are more IG droids that will pop up later. It would be a shame if that's all the Taika we get.

Pops Mgee fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Nov 12, 2019

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Pops Mgee posted:

That ending, hoooo boy.

That said, I did enjoy it quite a bit.

I hope there are more IG droids that will pop up later. It would be a shame if that's all the Taika we get.

I think the Mandolorian will have to patch him up and keep working with him. He’s promoted in all the advertising as a major supporting character, I don’t think they would bait and switch us like that.

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!

bbf2 posted:

I think the Mandolorian will have to patch him up and keep working with him. He’s promoted in all the advertising as a major supporting character, I don’t think they would bait and switch us like that.
And the whole "Gonna self-destruct now" thing must become a running gag.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Yep, this is more Star Wars and I always want more Star Wars. I have a newfound respect for the spectacle and prettiness that comes from dropping loads of money on only a few hours of screen time, but this looked pretty solid, just some effects not being super crisp at times which is no big deal.

Glad to see it's not a super quiet lead character, which I was worried might be the case based on the trailers. Looking forward to a fun season. Not expecting any force stuff at all since I feel like with so much Star Wars media involving Jedi, Sith, etc. they'll want to make a statement about leaving that out entirely, but I'm totally down to see the Mandalorian chasing some force-powered bounty at some point. I don't think Star Wars has really shown someone with force abilities but no training at all and just muddling about with it on their own, and based on it seeming to be a total lottery for who has them and it being a very big galaxy, that seems like something that would be happening quite often. I suppose it takes that proper training to actually do anything useful with those talents, but I'd certainly be game to see someone using their ability to basically flip a light switch at a distance to maximum effect.

With only eight episodes I'm not expecting there to be room for too many twists and turns, but I'm hoping for some surprises along the way. Certainly one pretty solid one already.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

NowonSA posted:

don't think Star Wars has really shown someone with force abilities but no training at all and just muddling about with it on their own, and based on it seeming to be a total lottery for who has them and it being a very big galaxy, that seems like something that would be happening quite often.

Princess Leia, they never make her a Jedi but even before she flies in force awakens they give her tons of scenes of haveing mysterious predictions and feelings about stuff like a psychic

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Princess Leia, they never make her a Jedi but even before she flies in force awakens they give her tons of scenes of haveing mysterious predictions and feelings about stuff like a psychic

Looks like Episode 9 is gonna retcon this to show Luke did train her for a bit.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Show is good. I'm definitely interested to see where this is going. The costumes, sets and some of the cgi looked real good. A few of the cgi shots looked really fake though, like they ran out of time. I did cringe at the parsec line and also I guess every mandalorian freezes their targets because it happened once in the movies.

bbf2 posted:

I'm down for this buddy comedy.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
Me: Huh, that guy sounds like Brian Posehn.

Me 10 seconds later: That IS Brian Posehn.

I'm also extremely impressed by their media backlog and it kind of blew my mind seeing the 30s, 40s, 50s, etc categories.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I guess every mandalorian freezes their targets because it happened once in the movies.

Empire establishes that carbon freezing people is, if not common not completely unheard of. Lando's objections are based around cloud city's facility being crude and used for industrial freezing, not designed for life forms.

Thom12255 posted:

Looks like Episode 9 is gonna retcon this to show Luke did train her for a bit.

Revealing something that happened off screen during a 30 year time gap isn't a "retcon".

jivjov fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Nov 12, 2019

KO Derf
Jan 14, 2003

Doctor Rope
Show is indeed good, though I'm not sure what to think about the music. I guess I'll have to watch it again and see if I have the same issue.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I guess every mandalorian freezes their targets because it happened once in the movies.

To be fair, it was a rather high profile piece in Jabba's Palace for a couple of years. I assume once people knew the carbon-freezing process didn't kill their prey, that every bounty hunter in the galaxy wanted to find a way to do it.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
That was loving sick, from start to finish. Even the credits artwork is dope.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Rocksicles posted:

Really hope it's new pieces for every episode.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

jivjov posted:

Revealing something that happened off screen during a 30 year time gap isn't a "retcon".

Not a retcon exactly, but Leia doesn't fit the role the OP was going for.

Though the exact person that fits that bill is actually Rey in all TFA.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Holy poo poo this was actually really good. I also loved the music, it felt really fresh but still very Star Wars-y at the same time.

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe
My first reaction to this episode was that it reminded me of what my friends and I hoped the prequels would look and feel like before their release. The gritty locales like the cantina and Jabba's palace was always more appealing to me than the clean palaces and government offices of the upper crust of the galaxy. And in that sense this delivered in spades. I agree that the parsec line felt forced, and the part where he had to learn how to ride a blurg(?) was unnecessarily slapsticky for my taste. But I'm sure younger viewers will get a kick out of it, and that's ok. I'm digging the look of the mandalorian blacksmith.

I don't post much in TV IV. What are the spoiler policies for streaming shows like this?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Unless otherwise stated, I think the rule is "once it's aired, it's fair game"

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The only thing i'm not super enthusiastic about is the lack of planet naming. It fries my onions no end in a world building universe like this.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Rocksicles posted:

The only thing i'm not super enthusiastic about is the lack of planet naming. It fries my onions no end in a world building universe like this.

Star Wars Disney Universe author: *rubs hands together* "Oh boy you have no idea what's in store! those guys who were the same species as Salacious Crumb? HUGE backstory for how they wound up there, one of em is distantly related to him too! Remember the guy who was passed out drunk on the street with a helmet on? You'll find that he winds up crossing paths with

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Strong opener, boy do I have questions though.

jivjov posted:

Unless otherwise stated, I think the rule is "once it's aired, it's fair game"

I know they are doing it as a courtesy but people are still tagging here. People get mad of course

Rocksicles posted:

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
While some of the VFX stood out, I did like how IG-11 looked like he was stop motion animated (apart from the legs) and had a bit of stiffness to his movements.

And I know they filmed a real model of the Razor Crest for the spaceflight scenes but I think it was CGI when landed, some of the compositing in the first few scenes were pretty bad on the ice planet, I think there needed to be a bit more of a background to visually break the frames up.

The music was alright, a little overbearing at times but it breaks the mold as far as star wars goes.

This was Dave Filonis first live action directing gig, so perhaps things will flow a little better in future episodes, not to say this was badly directed but a steadier camera for some scenes might work better.

Space Panda
Nov 15, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Beginning sequence was cringe with the celebrity cameo and the blue character. Got better as it went along though and it left me intrigued at the end.

With the ending I’m assuming the plot will definitely tie into the Jedi some how.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Apparently the server is banjaxed now, must be getting crushed.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Space Panda posted:

Beginning sequence was cringe with the celebrity cameo and the blue character. Got better as it went along though and it left me intrigued at the end.

With the ending I’m assuming the plot will definitely tie into the Jedi some how.

yeah blue guy left me with a lot of questions

he felt more like a Star Trek TNG character really

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Alan Smithee posted:

Feels good to give the aliens a bit of character. Nick Nolte's character was pretty good.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Alan Smithee posted:

He could be Mot the Barber.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I need more.

Inject it directly into my veins.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I agree. drat Disney+ didn't drop the entire first season at once :argh:

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Mustache Ride posted:

I agree. drat Disney+ didn't drop the entire first season at once :argh:

At least the 2nd episode is on Friday.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

How they gonna compete with Netflix without Netflix’s gimmick?

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
Not available in the UK until March.

Many people over here will have seen it by then through other means.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Well I'd LOVE to watch this show but alas

Apparently disney+ doesn't work with a Galaxy S9 :smith:

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Try downloading the .apk from somewhere else. I had it tell me a game wasn't supported on my device, but it worked perfectly fine when installed manually from an .apk.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
So many comedians getting into star wars now

blue guy was horatio sanz, brian posehn was the speeder driver, and Paul F Tompkins was in Resistance last episode which already has Bobby Moynihan and Jim Rash

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe
Bill Burr will show up later in the season as well

Gotta admit, I was kinda happy for Brian Posehn. I think it was in his last special where he was talking about falling back in love with Star Wars.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

I watched it and heck, I liked it

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Can't wait for Maclunkey to show up and we get some answers.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

seiferguy posted:

Well I'd LOVE to watch this show but alas

Apparently disney+ doesn't work with a Galaxy S9 :smith:

You can also watch Disney+ on your computer, just go to the website and sign in.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

romanowski posted:

I watched it and heck, I liked it

This right here.

Super enjoyable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text