Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Epicurius posted:

What is this thing? Is there a reason someone wrote misspelled words making up nonsense phrases on a renaissance painting?

Ok boomer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Telsa Cola posted:

I think the real find of the thread is someone who somehow never became aware of doge memes until now.

to be fair it's from like 2012 which, internet-wise, is about as long ago as doge was from the great pyramids

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
What’s a good way to say “ok boomer” in Latin?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Grand Prize Winner posted:

I don't feel qualified to answer any of those but you'd probably want to specify time period, social class, and location.

At a guess you'd get up in the morning and go Roman around until the sun started going down, when you'd cease your Roman and go to bed.

At least you tried! :downs:

Well, how about like 9 CE under Augustus? What was it like to go to Teutoburg and get your rear end kicked, and what was life like in a roman province? Or Roma herself?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

maximopere, vetus culus ? Translate isn't helping a lot

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Ok Patrician?

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

An historian I follow on Twitter used "Bene, senex".

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Safety Biscuits posted:

An historian I follow on Twitter used "Bene, senex".

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

this got me thinking- I wonder this about all kinds of languages, contemporary and ancient, but did they do sarcasm in Roman or other ancient cultures? My German teacher taught us that the way we do sarcasm in English, using tone to convey, doesn't really translate and can be confusing for non-English speakers

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Peanut Butler posted:

this got me thinking- I wonder this about all kinds of languages, contemporary and ancient, but did they do sarcasm in Roman or other ancient cultures? My German teacher taught us that the way we do sarcasm in English, using tone to convey, doesn't really translate and can be confusing for non-English speakers

The guy I posted just upthread who told Pompey to start stomping was presumably being sarcastic.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Tias posted:

So I've gotten into A Legionary's Life, Rome and History of Rome cast at the same time and have gotten really stoked about Roman history :hist101:

Can anyone tell me about what daily life was life for a roman, both in and out of the army, or point me to reading material? Thanks!

Mary Beard has some good documentaries that focus more on daily life than politics. Mostly available in full on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUNe61Kyigc

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Thanks boo :haw:

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
Here is a few more with Mary Beard:

Caligula : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhiJcedqTjM

Pompeii, Life and death: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0zBG5R7TXU

Mary Beard's Ultimate Rome, Empire without limit (Part 1 of 4): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LL_acQHNs-o

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

skasion posted:

Can’t post this without the punchline:

The version in Rome's pretty good as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCc67pn98Q8

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Cicero's speech to Anthony (by proxy of another senator) is possibly the best part of the show.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
If anything it's much kinder than the source material. (Which is of course too long for the show, but they left out the part comparing him to a catamite.)

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I can't appreciate any Cato but Christopher Walken's Cato.

I feel like that version of Julius Caesar was watched by people in high school Latin in the 2000s and literally no one else.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Christopher Walken Cato and Rome Cato were both too old. Cato was 49 when he died. I don't know why Rome made him a 60 year old.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Epicurius posted:

Christopher Walken Cato and Rome Cato were both too old. Cato was 49 when he died. I don't know why Rome made him a 60 year old.

Cato spent his whole life acting like an old fart, he can’t very well complain that people think of him as having been one

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Yeah, didn't Cato cast himself as a sixty year old some time in his early twenties?

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Halloween Jack posted:

Yeah, didn't Cato cast himself as a sixty year old some time in his early twenties?

I don't believe so, and I'm constantly puzzled by the utter contempt that a bunch of people in this thread hold the guy in. He had his flaws, but he generally viewed positively by historians, and pretty consistently has been throughout history.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Epicurius posted:

I don't believe so, and I'm constantly puzzled by the utter contempt that a bunch of people in this thread hold the guy in. He had his flaws, but he generally viewed positively by historians, and pretty consistently has been throughout history.

*edit: nvm don't want to risk bringing modern politics int this, even if just for a comparison

Dalael fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Nov 12, 2019

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Dalael posted:

*edit: nvm don't want to risk bringing modern politics int this, even if just for a comparison

Whoever your modern political guy is, I'd be surprised if a lot of people had strong feelings about him or her 2000 years from now.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Was Cato the one that tried to kill him self, didn’t succeed, woke up and then ripped the bandages off to finish the job?

Pretty metal dude. I’m reading Holland’s Rubicon now and I’m digging the drama all these dudes in the late republic had with each other. Especially Clodius, that dude seems like he finds a way to piss in everyone’s Cheerios

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Epicurius posted:

I don't believe so, and I'm constantly puzzled by the utter contempt that a bunch of people in this thread hold the guy in...
The Assassination Of Julius Caesar: A People's History Of Ancient Rome by Michael Parenti.

Short version, we all (nerds), or maybe just me, grew up reading books about Rome by aristocratic Brits that hated the ‘mob’. In other words, the people.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
sometimes I wonder if classical athens was really as much of a shitshow as it appears to have been, or if that's just the product of viewing it through two and a half millenia of aristocratic propaganda

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Epicurius posted:

Whoever your modern political guy is, I'd be surprised if a lot of people had strong feelings about him or her 2000 years from now.

Probably right.

To me, Cato always sounded like nothing more than an obstructionist but i'll admit i dont really know enough.

It just seems like whenever you hear his name, its because he's objecting to something.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Bob A Feet posted:

Was Cato the one that tried to kill him self, didn’t succeed, woke up and then ripped the bandages off to finish the job?

That was him.

quote:

Pretty metal dude. I’m reading Holland’s Rubicon now and I’m digging the drama all these dudes in the late republic had with each other. Especially Clodius, that dude seems like he finds a way to piss in everyone’s Cheerios

The thing about the Roman Senate is that it wasn't that many people. It was this little group of oligarchic families that were all knew each other socially, intermarried, and carried down family rivalries and grudges. Combine that with the fact that all of Roman society was built on personal relationships, favor trading, and subordination to more powerful individuals, and a value system that stressed domination over one's peers and family honor above everything, and you get a bunch of....interesting interpersonal relationships.

Remulak posted:

The Assassination Of Julius Caesar: A People's History Of Ancient Rome by Michael Parenti.

Short version, we all (nerds), or maybe just me, grew up reading books about Rome by aristocratic Brits that hated the ‘mob’. In other words, the people.

I know about Parenti, but he's more a political scientist than a historian, and most of his stuff is basically about how oppressive modern America is.

And, I don't know. The Roman mob was an important, and often destabilizing force in Roman politics, especially in the later Republic and early Empire, which is all tied in with the Roman system of patronage and the fact that Rome was so big and had such a large underclass who's big strength was in their physical presense, and could be used by ambitious politicians (like the aforementioned Clodius, or for that matter, his rival Milo, or Gaius Marius, or Sulla, or Pompey, or Caesar, or Antony, or whoever to disrupt their rivals.

Dalael posted:

Probably right.

To me, Cato always sounded like nothing more than an obstructionist but i'll admit i dont really know enough.

It just seems like whenever you hear his name, its because he's objecting to something.

Cato is probably best known for trying to block Caesar, yes. (They had political differences, but beyond that, a lot of that comes out of the fact that Caesar had sex with Cato's half-sister and that got publicly revealed on the floor of the Senate during a debate that Cato and Caesar were having).

Epicurius fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Nov 13, 2019

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I keep thinking of people I knew who were balding in their freshmen year of college for Cato, but wasn't it Caesar who was balding?

I think there's a tendency to imagine most historical people as more elderly, both from reverence for the time period and the circumstances of older times often thrusting responsibility on people at far younger ages. It gets even worse in periods where everyone wore powdered wigs cosplaying as old people.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

I keep thinking of people I knew who were balding in their freshmen year of college for Cato, but wasn't it Caesar who was balding?

I think there's a tendency to imagine most historical people as more elderly, both from reverence for the time period and the circumstances of older times often thrusting responsibility on people at far younger ages. It gets even worse in periods where everyone wore powdered wigs cosplaying as old people.

In the Roman Republic specifically, it was common for people to commission busts of themselves that were more lined/aged looking than they actually were. Augustus changed the trend; he was always depicted in statues and coins as youthful-looking, even though he lived to age 75.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

SlothfulCobra posted:

Caesar was balding. Cato had a full head of hair.

Here's a marble bust of Caesar, probably done in his lifetime

And here's a bronze bust of Cato, probably not done in his lifetime, but probably generally accurate to the way he looked (full head of hair, really prominent ears)

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Caesar should probably get that giant bulge on the back of his head checked out.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Epicurius posted:

Largely my understanding is that traditional historians admired Cato's support of the oligarchical hierarchy, and blamed Caesar for ending the republic. This was very much aided by the fact that winners write the history books, and Rome's wealthy elites delighted in using Caesar's story as a parable of the hazards of jeopardizing the nobility. Modern historians have largely begun questioning this view, seeing Cato's patrician elitism less favorably and Caesar's proto-nationalism as a more meritocratic alternative. Personally I see Cato and his aristocratic followers as effectively crashing the Republic rather than allowing plebeian leaders access to the levers of power.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I don’t know if caesar was proto nationalist. He was def democratic and authoritarian which obviously pissed off Cato.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Caesar was a mass murderer on the scale of Hitler. Cato did nothing wrong.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Kaal posted:

Largely my understanding is that traditional historians admired Cato's support of the oligarchical hierarchy, and blamed Caesar for ending the republic. This was very much aided by the fact that winners write the history books, and Rome's wealthy elites delighted in using Caesar's story as a parable of the hazards of jeopardizing the nobility. Modern historians have largely begun questioning this view, seeing Cato's patrician elitism less favorably and Caesar's proto-nationalism as a more meritocratic alternative. Personally I see Cato and his aristocratic followers as effectively crashing the Republic rather than allowing plebeian leaders access to the levers of power.

Is a dictatorship really preferable to an oligarchy, though? OK, in this case probably yes, but you don't have to be super-right-wing to consider oligarchies less bad than dictatorships as a matter of general principle.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

In that context a reformist dictator was obviously preferable.

I mean “preferable to who” is the I guess underlying question.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Caesar was a mass murderer on the scale of Hitler.
Arguably correct, although arguably less so than Ghengis Khan.

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Cato did nothing wrong.
Ceasars error was not going far enough for Cato.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Kaal posted:

Cato was a plebian as were Pompey, Bibulus, Cicero and most of the other prominent Optimates. The plebian/patrician split wasn't really a major thing by that point. There were tons of rich and powerful plebs.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Cato was a plebian....
Goddamn neaveau riche.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
And the one who really deserves the blame for destroying the Roman Republic was Sulla, an Optimate who came from a patrician family but grew up poor.