Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
So I found a bike and entered a BT area and decided to just ride as fast as I could through it. There were some weird noises and I’m not sure if it’s best to just ride through them or abandon the bike and go on foot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Rad Valtar posted:

So I found a bike and entered a BT area and decided to just ride as fast as I could through it. There were some weird noises and I’m not sure if it’s best to just ride through them or abandon the bike and go on foot.

Just ride through if it is a clear shot and you are not looking for other packages or resources.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

Yeah but now we have a timeframe

BTW it happened yesterday but CHAPTER 3:running into good guy porters for the first time was pretty terrifying, like two dogs meeting for the first time and not sure if they’re about to fight or not

Make sure to use the TouchPad to say hello!

Meshka
Nov 27, 2016

Rad Valtar posted:

I found that 9/10 it can be doable on a bike. In the end I just started booking it through and only once I got caught in the tar with the bike.

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

Meshka posted:

I found that 9/10 it can be doable on a bike. In the end I just started booking it through and only once I got caught in the tar with the bike.

if im not doing a time-sensitive mission, i just park my vehicle, unload anything i dont want wrecked on it, and let them capture me.

then i gently caress up the catcher :getin:

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Rad Valtar posted:

My experience is: if you ride directly into a BT, you can go as fast as you want, it immidiately puts you into the "BT trying to drag you down" minigame and the bike is put aside.

I might try it a couple times more. I just rode through some BT areas because THEY TOOK MY BB!!!! and I guess I was lucky enough to never directly hit one. But back in chapter 3 when I rode through the BT area next to timefall farm, I couldn't even react before the minigame started.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Is the third map a similar length to the first map? This second map is much bigger than I expected.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

tuo posted:

My experience is: if you ride directly into a BT, you can go as fast as you want, it immidiately puts you into the "BT trying to drag you down" minigame and the bike is put aside.

I might try it a couple times more. I just rode through some BT areas because THEY TOOK MY BB!!!! and I guess I was lucky enough to never directly hit one. But back in chapter 3 when I rode through the BT area next to timefall farm, I couldn't even react before the minigame started.

You can boost out of the black tar if you get caught on the bike.

You're hosed if there's rocks or anything the bike can get caught on though.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

DalaranJ posted:

Is the third map a similar length to the first map? This second map is much bigger than I expected.
The third map is the second map.

PhoenixFlaccus
Jul 15, 2011

KFC Famous Bowl
What's this talk about a third map? I'm 35 hours in, Chapter 10 I think. Do you mean the area past the western tar?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Goddamn that first run to the Roboticist was brutal

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Is there a way to shorten or eliminate the "you just entered a BT zone" animation?

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
I can't find the Collector. Any help?

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Codependent Poster posted:

Make sure to use the TouchPad to say hello!

I've read somewhere that you can trade with them. if you're holding a box in your hand you can trade it for whatever they are carrying in their hands. Not sure if it's true.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Pigbottom posted:

I've read somewhere that you can trade with them. if you're holding a box in your hand you can trade it for whatever they are carrying in their hands. Not sure if it's true.

There's something like this, because there's a trophy for trading w/them

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Romes128 posted:

You can boost out of the black tar if you get caught on the bike.

You're hosed if there's rocks or anything the bike can get caught on though.

Oh, okay. The one time I drove into one, I fell of the bike as soon as the he got me, so I thought that's normal.

Also speeding up snowy hills with the trike seems to be a big fight with the physics engine....or are there actually rocks underneath the thick snow?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

American McGay posted:

That makes a lot more sense. It would be weird to have to leave all that road development behind.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

American McGay posted:

??? Second map is before Port Knot, third map is over the lake, starting at Lake Knot...or am I totally wrong?

e: oh, wait, does first episode end with Port Knot? . drat, it feels like a long time allthough it has only been days.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

PhoenixFlaccus posted:

What's this talk about a third map? I'm 35 hours in, Chapter 10 I think. Do you mean the area past the western tar?

You have to take a boat past the first line of craters so I incorrectly assumed you would have to take a boat to get past the second one.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

DalaranJ posted:

The third map is just Edge Knot City. The second map is basically all of the game world.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Romes128 posted:

I can't find the Collector. Any help?

If you go to where it says he is on the map there is a valley you can walk down into. You have to use a ladder or rope to get to the level he is at in the canyon. It's halfway between the base of the canyon and the edge at the top.

Twin Infinitives
Sep 15, 2017

groot shit
W...what the hell is this poo poo with the Junk Dealer? The cutscenes in this bit are like comically bad. I'm kind of in love with the game so far but boy the story is awful in its execution.

PhoenixFlaccus
Jul 15, 2011

KFC Famous Bowl

Twin Infinitives posted:

W...what the hell is this poo poo with the Junk Dealer? The cutscenes in this bit are like comically bad. I'm kind of in love with the game so far but boy the story is awful in its execution.

I suspect this is a cameo. They linger too long like they expect you to recognize and be interested in this person.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
You'd think developers would know not to put tiny text in their games by now

PSA:

Settings > Accessibility > Zoom > Enable Zoom

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

This was posted pages ago but the whole junk dealer thing with the weird cutscenes is because Kojima's got an idol he likes or something and she did the voice acting for the girl for that portion.

Thankfully you never hear her talk again after that.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Twin Infinitives posted:

as far as I can tell this is the big acting break for a gravure idol Kojima likes lol. Idk it might be tongue in cheek because the junk dealer immediately starts complaining after they get married but it’s v hard to tell because there’s so much insanely dumb bullshit in some cutscenes.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Bold move to give a long cutscene to someone phonetically sounding out a language they don't actually speak.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

If you go to where it says he is on the map there is a valley you can walk down into. You have to use a ladder or rope to get to the level he is at in the canyon. It's halfway between the base of the canyon and the edge at the top.

Thanks! I thought there was an entrance on the valley floor or something.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

If i could make one improvement to this game’s combat system, I’d add the ability to take a guy out by swinging a ladder at him like a really heavy Jacky Chan.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

How do you tell when a building needs to be repaired?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

DalaranJ posted:

How do you tell when a building needs to be repaired?

Hover over it on the map screen and it will say an integrity percentage.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

emdash posted:

There's something like this, because there's a trophy for trading w/them

I got it by setting a box on the ground in front of them. Holding one might work too, dunno

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I guess Mules make deliveries too? I met one at the Junk Dealer’s and he was fine while we were both within the perimeter, but as soon as we left he got all mad at my sweet haul.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Eating poo poo and watching all your stuff roll down the mountain/falling into a river/etc. while your controller cries is so funny lol. It should be frustrating but it only happened to me a couple of times and it was 100% my fault. I think it’s really understated how good the game is at conveying weight/balance that constantly impacts your movement and feels completely natural once you’re used to it. Climbing mountains with the snow etc. feels really good.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Yeah the movement feels insanely weighty / real without being clunky, and the climbing / abseiling and stuff is probably the best of any game I've ever played.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Roach Warehouse posted:

I guess Mules make deliveries too? I met one at the Junk Dealer’s and he was fine while we were both within the perimeter, but as soon as we left he got all mad at my sweet haul.

yeah one of the earlier bits of lore states that the mules do make genuine deliveries and in many cases are better at it than professional porters, but they're still hostile lunatics who gently caress up logistics by raiding and shipping things at random

it'd be like if your amazon delivery got waylaid by lord humongous and arrived a week overdue in okay shape but covered in what you're pretty certain are human teeth

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

BIG SARU still at it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEkULslCGNs

Not spoilery if you're in like chapter 3 I think

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Hauling my rear end over the mountain to the roboticist was enough to convince me to finally set up a zipline network and wow this is convenient.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Had two great experiences this weekend.

Had to transport an extremely delicate item. The direct way was filled with enemies that could destroy it with a single hit. Decided to go around them which turned into an epic Lord of the Rings mountain hike where I had to use every tool at my disposal and also really consider the terrain at every step.

Unrelated to that I kept wondering why not put down the human enemies with lethal weapons. The consequences were surprising and completely foreseeable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011

Monkey Fracas posted:

You'd think developers would know not to put tiny text in their games by now

Are there that many people that play on a setup similar to PC gaming where youre only a few feet from the screen?