Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr.PayDay posted:

Star Citizen Lied About Release Dates - Myth
Squadron 42 And Star Citizen Are Developed In Parallel - Myth
Gamescom And Community Events Do Not Cause Development Delays - Myth
Star Citizen Is A Scam - Myth
CIG Will Stop Selling Concept Ships After Launch - Myth
LTI Gives Players An Advantage - Myth
Star Citizen Is Pay 2 Win - Myth
Star Citizen Will Release With 5 to 10 Systems - Myth
Star Citizen Uses A Paywall For Mining - Myth
All Ships Can Be Purchased In Game - Misconception
Chris Roberts Should Be Replaced As CEO / Star Citizen is Badly Managed - Myth
Star Citizen Has Bad Marketing - Myth
Star Citizen Ships Are Digital JPEGS - Myth
In-Game Ship Sales and Rentals Will Negatively Affect Funding - Myth
Star Citizen is Not A Game Yet - Misconception
Star Citizen Is Never Going To Release - Myth

https://scfocus.org/star-citizen-myths/

Star Citizen Is Not A Game Yet - Myth

Star Citizen: Reality - Star Citizen Is Not A Game yet

Nice dreamcrafting site you have there. No, really, great find, that's... that site is something, alright!

E: taxxe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
Lead Networking Programmer: "I think truly massive battles could work a bit like that" at the end of year 6 lol

PARP

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

TheAgent posted:

just goddamn. what kind of pretzel twisted logic is that poo poo

It`s not pay-to-win its pay-to-maybe-win-but-what-is-winning-anyways-?-does-it-involve-tiger-blood-and-hookers-?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

So 3.9 is the Jesus patch?

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Colostomy Bag posted:

So 3.9 is the Jesus patch?
its whatever 4.0 citcon garbage they are going to show in a few weeks

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
the absolute best thing is gonna be when they show off the sneaky sneak gameplay of you escaping a "player owned" space prison or whatever and I'm sure it's going to be super organic and will work fine and the players will get it sometime in 2022

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
meeeh eehhh yeeaaa its not, its not, you can't own one now, but soon. soon. we'll be yeaa, putting em up for sale. you'll be the warden, you can dictate what ehhh goes on here. you can ehh pay the guards and run things. it's pretty incredible.

*insane claps from the 45 people in the audience*

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Virtual Captain posted:

Lead Networking Programmer: "I think truly massive battles could work a bit like that" at the end of year 6 lol

PARP
This is tech that one company has been working on for years. They've done a couple of big stress tests with Eve Online players and I heard while it kind of works it's far from perfect.

Actually now that I look their next test is going to be free on steam for everyone the 23rd this month, if you want to see something CIG will never, ever come close to doing: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1165670/EVE_Aether_Wars__Tech_Demo/

Sindai fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Nov 12, 2019

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

Nice dreamcrafting site you have there. No, really, great find, that's... that site is something, alright!

E: taxxe

That was like stumbling over the SC Cultist Bible of Denial, it’s hilarious and :psyduck:

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004

lmao that site keeps on giving. With 1 member.
1 dude = „we“ and „org“ :ironicat:

quote:

Star Citizen is a complex game that requires teamwork and some ships have very large crews such as the Bengal carrier that will be manned by hundreds of players simultaneously
:ortiz:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
It's me, I am the bagel carrier that has hundreds of people manning me

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004

peter gabriel posted:

:corrupt:

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
CIG: Doing the impossible

quote:

Seamless universe with no loading screens (after the initial loading of the game)

From first person on the planet to getting behind the controls of your ship to flying into space to landing on a moon to getting out of your ship - all without loading screens

Jaw dropping graphics

FPS, spaceship, atmospheric and vehicular combat

Brought to you by the Chris Roberts, the visionary behind Wing Commander, Strike Commander and Freelancer

Explore ≈100+ star systems in a living breathing universe

Pilot and help crew giant space ships 100s to 1000s of meters (300 to 3000 feet) long (yes these aren’t typos)

Massively multiplayer living breathing universe with 9:1 AI to player characters

https://scfocus.org/should-i-buy-star-citizen/

Star Citizen: CIG doing is impossible

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Mr.PayDay posted:

Explore ≈100+ star systems in a living breathing universe

if it's taking them this long to make one loving system, see you in 700 years for the complete game

rePool
Apr 18, 2019

Undercover Goon.

So long and thanks for all the fish

Mr.PayDay posted:

Star Citizen Lied About Release Dates - Myth
Squadron 42 And Star Citizen Are Developed In Parallel - Myth
Gamescom And Community Events Do Not Cause Development Delays - Myth
Star Citizen Is A Scam - Myth
CIG Will Stop Selling Concept Ships After Launch - Myth
LTI Gives Players An Advantage - Myth
Star Citizen Is Pay 2 Win - Myth
Star Citizen Will Release With 5 to 10 Systems - Myth
Star Citizen Uses A Paywall For Mining - Myth
All Ships Can Be Purchased In Game - Misconception
Chris Roberts Should Be Replaced As CEO / Star Citizen is Badly Managed - Myth
Star Citizen Has Bad Marketing - Myth
Star Citizen Ships Are Digital JPEGS - Myth
In-Game Ship Sales and Rentals Will Negatively Affect Funding - Myth
Star Citizen is Not A Game Yet - Misconception
Star Citizen Is Never Going To Release - Myth

https://scfocus.org/star-citizen-myths/

Star Citizen Is Not A Game Yet - Myth

Star Citizen: Reality - Star Citizen Is Not A Game yet

Whoever is running that site is an absolute legend.

and an idiot

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Star Citizen: Reality - It's poo poo

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

peter gabriel posted:

Get ready for my Cream Cheese Torpedos BABEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Inacio posted:

if it's taking them this long to make one loving system, see you in 700 years for the complete game

They are still building the tech and the pipelines, once they are done the progress will become exponential.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Does SC really have 'jaw-dropping' graphics anymore? Maybe back in 2015 it was but now it seems just okay and heavily hampered by random and terrible art direction.

zebedy
Feb 25, 2006
well?
why do they have citizencon? was it a stretch goal? utter insanity

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Scruffpuff posted:

An alternate end to the Star Citizen saga occurred to me today. What if, while they're chugging along with insane backers footing the bill, while Chris waddles around the parking lot with his pants around his ankles, PC gaming moves forward? New CPUs, new video cards, and finally one day some company with a shiny new engine basically makes Star Citizen with a different name. I can very, very easily see CIG framing that as the other company being carried by their work, and riding their coattails to success, as if CIG paved the way. Then they're just take their engine and game, reskin it, and market it as "the original" and backers will 100% repeat that everywhere they can manage.

It's a crime that fits Chris Roberts's modus operandi perfectly. Lie about something you're incapable of doing, then when someone else manages to do it, steal the idea and say you did it first.

There is 0% chance of this happening because there is no star citizen engine. If you gave me every line of code CIG has made and asked me to produce a space MMO, I would start by DELETING EVERYTHING.

And that's not spiteful, that is honest to god the absolute smartest move they could make right now. What they have is an unmaintainable nightmare. Its a loving disaster. Its pure tech debt.

So this doesn't make sense. Everything that looks good about SC wasn't made by CIG, its just Cryengine/Lumberyard. Anybody who wants Cryengine can already license Cryengine, and you do it from Crytek, not CIG. There is literally nothing to license from CIG, they have not made anything other than JPGs. They do not understand how to design new game systems, so all they do is hack things together to give the illusion of progress. They have nothing. I cannot stress this enough. They have nothing.

Beyond that, you really think that if Elite Dangerous finally fulfills all the vision of SC, that star citizens are gonna be cool with that? I mean, they'll definitely jump ship, but they'd be pissed at Chris for wasting their money while David Braben showed that what they wanted was easily achievable without even busking for their cash.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

zebedy posted:

Think of it as an grand mass. The pilgrims journey far, spend much, in order to have their faith renewed by the church's leader.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Lmao like if EA tried to play this anybody would fall for it. "Look, just because you spend money doesn't mean you automatically win! Skill still matters. You just have a massive advantage!"

like no poo poo, that's always been part of how pay2win works.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Zaphod42 posted:

There is 0% chance of this happening because there is no star citizen engine. If you gave me every line of code CIG has made and asked me to produce a space MMO, I would start by DELETING EVERYTHING.

And that's not spiteful, that is honest to god the absolute smartest move they could make right now. What they have is an unmaintainable nightmare. Its a loving disaster. Its pure tech debt.

So this doesn't make sense. Everything that looks good about SC wasn't made by CIG, its just Cryengine/Lumberyard. Anybody who wants Cryengine can already license Cryengine, and you do it from Crytek, not CIG. There is literally nothing to license from CIG, they have not made anything other than JPGs. They do not understand how to design new game systems, so all they do is hack things together to give the illusion of progress. They have nothing. I cannot stress this enough. They have nothing.

Beyond that, you really think that if Elite Dangerous finally fulfills all the vision of SC, that star citizens are gonna be cool with that? I mean, they'll definitely jump ship, but they'd be pissed at Chris for wasting their money while David Braben showed that what they wanted was easily achievable without even busking for their cash.

You're misreading what he's saying. He's saying Company B comes in with the Company B engine, creates a game like Star Citizen on the Company B engine. Citizens of course don't care about this game because it's not Star Citizen and cannot live up to Crobber's grand vision. CIG quietly licenses the Company B engine, throws their assets into it, and then Crobber goes "look at OUR GREAT ENGINE!" Cue Citizens again fellating Crobber for his incredible vision and talent in all things. Truly the greatest mind of all time!

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

zebedy posted:

For the same reason MLMs have conventions. To reinforce the cult mentality and sell them a bunch of poo poo. Expect at least one finished and immediately buyable ship to be revealed there that was intentionally hidden from the roadmap (like everything they're ACTUALLY focusing on creating now).

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Mr.PayDay posted:

quote:

Massively multiplayer living breathing universe with 9:1 AI to player characters

Maybe don't advertise your player numbers are so low :haw:

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

zebedy posted:

It drives a large part of their funding. If they didn't have it they would be already out of business years ago.

They also do smaller get-togethers specially for the whales during the year, they got what, half a million out of that last one?

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Mr.PayDay posted:

more like Star Citizen: CIG Not Doing The Possible

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://scfocus.org/star-citizen-pros-cons/

quote:

Pay to advantage

While whether Star Citizen is Pay 2 Win or not is contentious, the Pay to Advanage is certain. As we mentioned above in the section about the starting disadvantages, players can currently pay money and receive ships, items, and other things that other players do not have access to.

On launch day, there will be individual players (as well as orgs) starting with fleets of ships and many tens of thousands of UEC.

Even after launch it has been announced that players might be able to buy in game currency to skip some of the credit grind.

Some players have already more than 1 million UEC in their accounts - mostly through buying credits (see image).

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

K8.0 posted:

You're misreading what he's saying. He's saying Company B comes in with the Company B engine, creates a game like Star Citizen on the Company B engine. Citizens of course don't care about this game because it's not Star Citizen and cannot live up to Crobber's grand vision. CIG quietly licenses the Company B engine, throws their assets into it, and then Crobber goes "look at OUR GREAT ENGINE!" Cue Citizens again fellating Crobber for his incredible vision and talent in all things. Truly the greatest mind of all time!

Today the players can dissect your engine and analyze it better than you within a week, this wouldn't really pass. Took days to completely analyze (lack of) NMS's multiplayer. And CI isn't competent enough to cover it up successfully.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Tippis posted:

It fits his modus operandi so perfectly that he has already did that the last time SC was released…

Gee, I wonder what else came out in 1993 that most definitely truly pinky-swear stole Chris Original Idea™ of Gouraud-shaded textured polygons…

I'm the author writing an up to date version of this exact article by find and replacing all instances of Strike Commander witty Star Citizen.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Also is now the time to buy into Star Citizen?

I don't want to be left behind when the next age of gaming comes out!!

Also I am seeing Death Stranding and I hope so is Chris Roberts with his crappy game designs and poor looking characters. And it runs on a PS4.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Thom12255 posted:

Does SC really have 'jaw-dropping' graphics anymore? Maybe back in 2015 it was but now it seems just okay and heavily hampered by random and terrible art direction.

No, it doesn't, but for the backers it has the best graphics ever.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Zaphod42 posted:

Lmao like if EA tried to play this anybody would fall for it. "Look, just because you spend money doesn't mean you automatically win! Skill still matters. You just have a massive advantage!"

like no poo poo, that's always been part of how pay2win works.

We scrubs call it "pay 2 equalize the unfair skill gap".

Unless it is in a game I'm good at. Then it's pay2win.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
It's that time of year again, folks! Let's do some numbers:

Total in 2012: $7,226,318
Total in 2013: $28,446,117
Total in 2014: $32,933,205
Total in 2015: $35,961,202
Total in 2016: $36,100,538
Total in 2017: $34,912,412
Total in 2018: $37,759,020
Total in 2019 (to date): $27,580,617

CIG has less than two months to make $10m+.

Usually CitizenCon is in October and the Anniversary Sale is in late November, but right now they on the same day: November 23rd. No idea how this will impact funding.

2018's CitizenCon Sale total: $4,123,565
2018's Anniversary Sale total: $9,172,592

Reminder: according to CIG, they burn $50m+ a year. Without the Calder investment, they would have been sunk around Q2/Q3 2018. If additional revenue isn't secured -- either by a product release or additional investment -- they'll be out of money (again) by Q1/Q2 2021. And that's with funding continuing to hit the ~$35m/yr mark.

TheAgent fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Nov 12, 2019

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Good lord, that website. It's like the Threat Assessment guy all over again, but fawning over the game rather than obsessed with cult Satan.

TheAgent posted:

meeeh eehhh yeeaaa its not, its not, you can't own one now, but soon. soon. we'll be yeaa, putting em up for sale. you'll be the warden, you can dictate what ehhh goes on here. you can ehh pay the guards and run things. it's pretty incredible.

"Er, ah, hello yes, can I just, er, can I just ask what the opportunities will be for criminal erotic gameplay in our space prisons Mr Roberts?"

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
Star Citizen looks last gen now. Here's Death Stranding on a filthy console:

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Zaphod42 posted:

Everything you said here is 100% on the money, but re-read what I wrote. That's exactly what I'm saying. Some other company will build a game and CIG will claim they stole the tech and ideas, because that's what Chris Roberts does. He plays in a pool of his own piss saying what he WANTS to do, then when somebody else winds up doing something similar, he claims that he gave them the idea.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

TheAgent posted:

just goddamn. what kind of pretzel twisted logic is that poo poo

Welcome to the 21st Century.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I love this part, of which I took from like, the 5% of the article I copy-pasted here:

Progress shown of features (as in demoed at an event -> first time a feature is seen) The demos are purely fictional and not indicative of actual progress or goals.
Historic progress rate of similar features Historic progress is negligible or faulty to base information on due to hidden roadmap/work priorities.
Optimism buffer (to adjust for overly optimistic dates) This alone should be disqualified after "2014 release date" by Chris Roberts
Experience following Star Citizen’s development closely since 2015 This is probably the worst. Accurate calculations don't require 4 years of sifting through poo poo to find the diamond.
Preempting delays from community events, holiday seasons or major technical hurdles These are: Bad things, Not applicable, Unpredictable/Lies because CIG claims standard practice stuff is hard.
Playtesting the Star Citizen Alpha for several years This gives no idea as to how progress will be made, and is useless when you could just look at the very-open-and-not-untruthful-company releases patch notes.
Experience in many Alpha and Beta MMO games since 1995 Star Citizen is beyond all other MMOs and is incomparable. -A Star Citizen Backer
For Squadron 42 it is also possible to estimate the status of many features because when the feature appears in the Star Citizen Alpha it is already known to be significantly further along in Squadron 42. If you can't accurately predict Star Citizen, Squadron 42's estimate also becomes irrelevant.

someone who is way too invested posted:

Here at SC Focus we

We? The Org with 1 member? Is he using the royal "we"?