Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Kill more gooderer is really your only option. NPCs typically have a, like, lead in time on competency where they'll miss several shots before starting to hit, so you can take out a fair few of them before they become a threat. Lawmen seem to be the sole exception to this 'mechanic.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Where can i buy leather working tools in single player? I want a beaver hat

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

toggle posted:

Where can i buy leather working tools in single player? I want a beaver hat

You have to progress mainquest until you complete at least some of Strauss' ursury. This unlocks Dutch's ledger, next to the donation box at camp. Hope you been dropping in stuff/money, or have extra, because the tools ain't cheap.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Got the trader license. Tried my first long distance route. What a huge loving mistake that was. 20 boring as gently caress minutes later and I almost lost because I wasn't expecting the shootout at the end. Please tell me the local routes are more reasonable because I honestly never want to do that ever again.

It's random if you get a shootout at the end or not. Long distance sales are never worth it and leave you exposed to PvP folks.

I've found that in order to fix the i5 stuttering you need to use both BES and Process Lasso at the same time. I was able to solve both me and my friend's stuttering problem completely by doing this. It's possible that some of these steps are unnecessary, but these instructions from start to finish solved our issue. I'll try to make these instructions as simple as possible

-Start BES. Start Process Lasso. Start Red Dead.
-On BES, Click Target. Near the middle are some boxes that say Friend, Unknown, Foe. Select friend.
-Find RDR2.exe. Click Limit/Watch. Click Yes. With RDR2.exe selected, click Friend. Now go to the slidey bar beneath that and set that to 2%.

-On to Process Lasso. Locate RDR2.exe. Right click, select CPU Limiter. Fill in the following:
When CPU Usage is: 94%
For a period of (LEAVE BLANK) seconds
Reduce by this many cores: 2
For a period of 1 second
Click Add Rule.

That should do it. If anyone would like to take these steps and report back I would be very happy to hear the results. Hope this helps you guys!

This worked perfectly, thanks!

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I helped a goon play Red Dead 2. My purpose is complete *floats away*

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Ygolonac posted:

You have to progress mainquest until you complete at least some of Strauss' ursury. This unlocks Dutch's ledger, next to the donation box at camp. Hope you been dropping in stuff/money, or have extra, because the tools ain't cheap.

Ah cool, that makes sense. Cheers :)

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji
I ride like the wind and murder quick. Sometimes I lose a guy sometimes I don’t. A lot of the time they’re targeting my buyers so I try to pull agro by standing in the lot of them and killing them left and right without spilling a drop of blood on my dress.

I’m on Xbox though and it sounds like PC has a couple hiccups with graphics and things. Ymmv?

Orv
May 4, 2011
My kingdom for a horse that isn't scared of alligators. I was down in the bayou looking for a treasure chest and once my horse freaked out once it just ping ponged ceaselessly between gators until I wanted to leave.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Orv posted:

My kingdom for a horse that isn't scared of alligators. I was down in the bayou looking for a treasure chest and once my horse freaked out once it just ping ponged ceaselessly between gators until I wanted to leave.

I had a horse get so spooked once in a gunfight that he bolted from Valentine all the way to Upper Grizzlies. I never was able to track him down.

It's the only time it has happened in like 3x single player playthroughs.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
I played online for like ten hours straight today with zero issues; for bonus insanity, it was all over steam in-home streaming to the laptop in the living room with a steam controller plugged into it. If anyone is having trouble with shadowplay or steam playing nice, it might be your rdr2/launcher exe's having admin permissions while the other programs don't. I managed to get shadowplay and steam streaming to work fine after I took admin permissions off the exe's.

Also did someone mention screenshots?

(Airgoons Blazed in Saddles represent)

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Thanks, and SSB's method did work for a while until I talked to Emmet Granger and it stuttered right into a crash :(

Noirex
May 30, 2006

I got mauled by a bear and when I reloaded my horse had completely changed color from a dappled black to chocolate. Same name, same saddle...but now brown with a different black mane :psyduck:

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

nobody likes a rotten pumbo
bored now that i've become supreme master of all roles. best idea is hanging around saloons drinking and smoking and playing poker and hoping nearby pvp players start doing something entertaining to each other. also cigarettes are $3.50 at the general store. ripoff for bozos

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Noirex posted:

I got mauled by a bear and when I reloaded my horse had completely changed color from a dappled black to chocolate. Same name, same saddle...but now brown with a different black mane :psyduck:

I've had my horse change sex after a stranger mission. Female when I bought her, female when the mission started but when I respawned afterwards... balls. The horse eventually reverted to a she once it de-spawned and I called it again.

Hakarne posted:

I just tried a Free Roam Event and they don't seem worth it at all. They use your own stash of ammo, degrade your weapons ridiculously fast, then potentially drop you on the other side of the map. And you get like... $10-$20 and half a piece of gold unless you win? I feel like they need to bump up the rewards, I'll probably try them once or twice and just not bother unless there's a stupid fun game mode or something.

Edit: Ok I'm REALLY starting to loving hate online. Just did a local delivery and one of the scenarios is apparently the buyers getting ambushed by like 20 people. And if they die I just lose the whole loving shipment. What a lovely, dumb, loving terrible design. Having to keep alive loving dumb NPCs is the worst poo poo. There are just so many loving dumb design decisions. gently caress.

Edit 2: I'll just get all my bitching out now. Having my camp randomly packed up is annoying enough, but then they charge you $2 because Rockstar decides you can't have your camp down? gently caress that bullshit.

The only free roam events I do are Trade Route, Salvage, Fishing, Wild Animal Kills, and sometimes Master Archer if I really want to get the bow kills daily challenge. Trade Route and Salvage are PvE and at the very least you win supplies for Cripps or some collector items. The rest are all different variations of the same lovely design: a level 500 min-maxer (usually shirtless) sucking down tonics and locking down a runaway victory in the first minute.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

Dick Jones posted:

I've had my horse change sex after a stranger mission. Female when I bought her, female when the mission started but when I respawned afterwards... balls. The horse eventually reverted to a she once it de-spawned and I called it again.

Apparently its an old bug where you lose your horse and it changes breed. Went back to Valentine stable and my dappled black is completely gone. Not the worst bug to have but it's a bummer. I had maxed out bond etc and was hoping to use her till the end.

Edit: gently caress it, reloaded an older save and got her back. Well worth the few lost hours in the long run.

Noirex fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Nov 12, 2019

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

You have four hours.

https://youtu.be/2utf6yph_QQ

Spoilers

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Satisfying shots - free aim edition:

My scarred murder hobo:

Ikonoklast
Nov 16, 2007

A beacon for the liars and blind.
Atleast someones collected all the troubleshooting tips in one place now: https://www.somethingawful.com/news/red-dead-troubleshoot/ :clint:

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

anyone else find naming their horses after a snack works well?
Biscuit, Custard and Strawberry got me thru SP.
Online Beans is doing some heavy lifting. Franks has more stamina but spooks if someone drops their hat.

My tastes in food are simple lol

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Sleekly posted:

Online Beans is doing some heavy lifting. Franks has more stamina but spooks if someone drops their hat.

My horse is called a local slang name for peanuts (bagigi) because it's funny and makes me laugh everytime. So I guess yeah?

Other horses I haven't bothered naming yet, I'm still in the very early game. I kind of want to go after that white Arabian though ... what could be a good snack name for that horse?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Last play was naming horses aspirational words in Tahitian. Arthur gotta have dreams.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

TorakFade posted:

My horse is called a local slang name for peanuts (bagigi) because it's funny and makes me laugh everytime. So I guess yeah?

Other horses I haven't bothered naming yet, I'm still in the very early game. I kind of want to go after that white Arabian though ... what could be a good snack name for that horse?

turkish delight

dont read this if u dont want a huge spoiler: remember when Atrax dies in neverending story? its not that bad but its bad if you're fond of your horse

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Dameius posted:

Last play was naming horses aspirational words in Tahitian. Arthur gotta have dreams.

I would love to have a drink with Arthur. I wish there was a bit more of his sketches and musings. :rockstar: can still churn out the good story. the lion storyline in particular

Orv
May 4, 2011
My horse is just named Idiot because that's inevitably what I call him whenever he does horse things. Now onto Idiot II, Shire Boogaloo.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Ikonoklast posted:

Atleast someones collected all the troubleshooting tips in one place now: https://www.somethingawful.com/news/red-dead-troubleshoot/ :clint:

quote:

:clint: Did the game start but it just runs weird and taxes your system in ways that don't make any sense whatsoever as if it's a shockingly bad port? Try downloading like five third-party tools from sketchy forums and run all of them while holding a revolver with one bullet in the chamber up to your head and pulling the trigger.

checks out

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

In online other players see your horse's name when they're in Eagle Eye and looking at the tracks you leave behind.

So obviously I'm gonna name my next horse Wendigo or something so they get "Track Wendigo" button prompts :v:

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Sleekly posted:

My horse is black with a white strip down the middle of his face. His name is Oreo.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Poor Freckles, thought of i5 microprocessors and died.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Got the trader license. Tried my first long distance route. What a huge loving mistake that was. 20 boring as gently caress minutes later and I almost lost because I wasn't expecting the shootout at the end. Please tell me the local routes are more reasonable because I honestly never want to do that ever again.

Cripps' idea of "local" is better but sometimes it will still give you an actual 10 minute ride. From what I can tell yo uget the same amount of trader XP regardless if you deliver 1, 50, or 100 goods, so if you're grinding the level you can just do deliveries non stop if you pick off some game on the way back to camp. Resupply missions give a whopping 500 trader xp and 5 materials so you can almost immediately go out for another delivery too.

Hakarne posted:

I mentioned it in my rage post earlier, but is there some trick to keeping the chucklefuck buyers (or any NPCs really) alive in missions like that? The only two missions I’ve actually failed have been because the idiot NPCs get gunned down before I can merc the 15+ enemies that spawn.

For the local routes if there's a shootout specifically, just tokyo drift the cart into the dropoff point through the enemies, and then you can take care of the bandits from a ton of cover with little risk. I've never had more than one of the trading post guys die. I think if you hold off and try to pick them off from a distance theyre just gonna beeline for the trader NPCs. I've lost some of the random events like defending camps because I tried to pick off from a distance, making yourself an available target even if you're in cover usually works the best for keeping any npc's alive.

Unrelated: Is it me or is the underweight/overweight system in Online dumb as hell? I'm chain-eating pork and venison at camp and can never seem to climb out of underweight. Big Game meat seems to work but do I really have to shovel 5 pieces of big game in my craw each time I log on just so I don't turn into a walking skeleton? Slamming Whisky until you black out seems to add one "level" of weight, but still

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Nov 12, 2019

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
You know, they put so much detail and immersion in much of the game only to drag you out with something stupid. My cowboy was sitting by the fire, enjoying a cup coffee after a long day. I decide to pull out a fine cigar I found on some hapless corpse. Arthur lights it up, takes one puff, and then tosses it.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
It's because their real purpose is to refill your deadeye not to be a sim which is counterproductive to such a sim-like game otherwise.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

SplitSoul posted:

Poor Freckles, thought of i5 microprocessors and died.

lol

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Fishstick posted:

For the local routes if there's a shootout specifically, just tokyo drift the cart into the dropoff point through the enemies, and then you can take care of the bandits from a ton of cover with little risk. I've never had more than one of the trading post guys die. I think if you hold off and try to pick them off from a distance theyre just gonna beeline for the trader NPCs. I've lost some of the random events like defending camps because I tried to pick off from a distance, making yourself an available target even if you're in cover usually works the best for keeping any npc's alive.

Unrelated: Is it me or is the underweight/overweight system in Online dumb as hell? I'm chain-eating pork and venison at camp and can never seem to climb out of underweight. Big Game meat seems to work but do I really have to shovel 5 pieces of big game in my craw each time I log on just so I don't turn into a walking skeleton? Slamming Whisky until you black out seems to add one "level" of weight, but still

Thanks I’ll try that next time. I was running around the perimeter flanking and killing all the dudes and they just obliterated the traders. I was dropping them fairly quickly but it felt like I’d need a machine gun to actually kill them fast enough before all the buyers ended up dead. Time to give my LeMat another workout, I’m loving that gun. Maybe I should invest in a better repeater too, is there a good one for taking out larger groups of enemies?

I haven’t had any issues with weight, I just eat/drink something when any one of my cores get at or below half and I’ve maintained average weight. Maybe mixing it up helps too? I eat a lot of stuff I scavenge (canned veggies and fruit, liquor, etc) along with game meat. Clearly they need an in-game dietician.

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji
Friendly reminder that if you've not yet reached level 70 with the Outlaw Pass in RDO, it ends in one week from today Nov. 18th.

Glad I read that somewhere because I've taken a break from RDO, so if you're like me, get back on that trail mister!

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
I stole a hat and I kept it... certain hats *can* be stolen and stay in your inventory. If it's flashing white on the ground, put it on quick! Got me the Conductor's Cap at the train/stage/mailstop near Emerald Ranch, while repeatedly jacking the stage for quick payouts at the Wagon Fence. :whatup:

Now I have a nice near-fully-custom Schofield to play with. (Didn't chop the barrel, they look better long. Too bad I can't just buy two, for Charlie Prince reasons.

I want that jacket, too.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Chuds McGreedy posted:

Friendly reminder that if you've not yet reached level 70 with the Outlaw Pass in RDO, it ends in one week from today Nov. 18th.

Glad I read that somewhere because I've taken a break from RDO, so if you're like me, get back on that trail mister!

Was wondering if that was still active, hopefully we get another soon with the previous pass' content for PC folks. I miss my Nosalida jacket :(

Ygolonac posted:

I stole a hat and I kept it... certain hats *can* be stolen and stay in your inventory. If it's flashing white on the ground, put it on quick! Got me the Conductor's Cap at the train/stage/mailstop near Emerald Ranch, while repeatedly jacking the stage for quick payouts at the Wagon Fence. :whatup:

Now I have a nice near-fully-custom Schofield to play with. (Didn't chop the barrel, they look better long. Too bad I can't just buy two, for Charlie Prince reasons.

I want that jacket, too.

That jacket is available in online :v:

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

My horse is also named Idiot, which is appropriate and won't ever change.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

RVWinkle posted:

You know, they put so much detail and immersion in much of the game only to drag you out with something stupid. My cowboy was sitting by the fire, enjoying a cup coffee after a long day. I decide to pull out a fine cigar I found on some hapless corpse. Arthur lights it up, takes one puff, and then tosses it.

Yes this makes me mad. I wish you could hold a button to keep smoking. You don’t get to interactively eat at saloons either like you do at camp. Boooo.

Different topic: I know this is just video game logic, but it feels pretty janky to ride up into the snow and realise that your camp in the opening was, like, five minutes away from Valentine and Blackwater. Or ride out from shithole nowhere and be in Saint Denis before you know it. The map seems small/crowded to me. I want some big open American spaces, there are always millions of roads and carts around me (usually scaring off whatever I’m trying to hunt)

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
That's gonna be a you problem. The map is as big or bigger than Los Santos and is trying to not only cram like 5 different states into one but also simulate being surrounded by vast expanses of nothing and frankly, accomplishes both very well. I cannot for a second harsh on rockstar's map artists because nobody else is doing what they do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
Has anyone managed to get the free bounty hunter license for the twitch prime promotion on PC? It says it could take up to 72 hours, but it's been about a week with no luck.