Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Clavavisage posted:

Are there that many people that play on a setup similar to PC gaming where youre only a few feet from the screen?

But I already have this nice monitor and sweet headphones right here :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Guys I got a question. Regarding the Junk Dealer in Chapter 3, after you first meet him. I took the job to go down into the ruins and get a bunch of heavy junk for his trollin' rear end. When I accepted the order, a bunch of "Chiralium-Tainted Cargo" spawned next to me. I examined it and it said 'this cargo is ruined and should be disposed of in a crater lake.' So I figured that I would dispose of this in the crater near the ruins, but, the map kinda faked me out and there isn't actually a crater there. I can't find anything. I'm carrying a bunch of ruined poo poo on my back and don't know where it goes, or even if I was supposed to do anything with it, was I just supposed to leave it? Anyone have any suggestions?

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011
pick up his GF, she'll tell you 😉

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Guys I got a question. Regarding the Junk Dealer in Chapter 3, after you first meet him. I took the job to go down into the ruins and get a bunch of heavy junk for his trollin' rear end. When I accepted the order, a bunch of "Chiralium-Tainted Cargo" spawned next to me. I examined it and it said 'this cargo is ruined and should be disposed of in a crater lake.' So I figured that I would dispose of this in the crater near the ruins, but, the map kinda faked me out and there isn't actually a crater there. I can't find anything. I'm carrying a bunch of ruined poo poo on my back and don't know where it goes, or even if I was supposed to do anything with it, was I just supposed to leave it? Anyone have any suggestions?

It's South / South-West of the dealer, near where you have to go for the first quest he gives you. Just looks like a lake of sludge, scanning it shows it as impassable.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The lake is actually made up of multiple craters, so you're not looking for a circle on the map. Just head east from the ruins, you really can't miss the lake.

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

Yeah playing on PSPro with a 27" 2k monitor and the text is fine. Tried it on a larger 4k TV and it was a bit small.

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Zip-lines, use them all the time. They only cost 500 chiral network bandwidth, you can build them almost anywhere, and they are SUPER useful if other players have already built some. I have a network of zip-lines running all around the mountain area so I can just zip straight from one shelter to another. I can do premium deliveries from the Paleontologist to the Mountaineer in less than 3 minutes.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I'm playing on a 55 inch 4k TV and I basically try to understand everything by the 4th-wall-breaking stuff Norman throws me, because I can't read the rest.

When they take away BB, it was the hint I needed

tuo fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Nov 12, 2019

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

FallenGod posted:

Bold move to give a long cutscene to someone phonetically sounding out a language they don't actually speak.

This game is about building bridges and forming connections. No need to be a MULE about it.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Is there any indication which preppers have just connected to the network vs formally joining the UCA? I did a standard delivery to The Film Director and was surprised that he asked to formally join the UCA since I don't remember him being standoffish about it like some preppers

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Tertius Oculum posted:

Yeah playing on PSPro with a 27" 2k monitor and the text is fine. Tried it on a larger 4k TV and it was a bit small.

Oh wow, it doesn't scale the UI to a percentage of the screen? So a 4K TV has all text at half the size?

Thundercracker posted:

Is there any indication which preppers have just connected to the network vs formally joining the UCA? I did a standard delivery to The Film Director and was surprised that he asked to formally join the UCA since I don't remember him being standoffish about it like some preppers

If they have less than one star rating is the clue, I think. There are also logos on the map, I guess those that didn't fully join are marked as BRIDGES.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

People must be playing this game in very different ways.

I often find trucks on weird areas of the mountains (areas that are hard to get even walking). Then some people claim to already have finished the game, while others are crawling mid-game and many just started.... and it can't just be the hours everyone can put in the game, because I was on Ch3 and some people was already finishing it, and I poopshooked hard

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Thundercracker posted:

On the map next to their name it will say Bridges if they are on a contract only and UCA if they joined the UCA.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Tei posted:

People must be playing this game in very different ways.

I often find trucks on weird areas of the mountains (areas that are hard to get even walking). Then some people claim to already have finished the game, while others are crawling mid-game and many just started.... and it can't just be the hours everyone can put in the game, because I was on Ch3 and some people was already finishing it, and I poopshooked hard

Some people only rush from main mission to main mission.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
I think the like economy has turned me into a MULE. I wish I could destroy people's structures when they get thousands of likes while my better placed ones languish. How dare they.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Connecting the network is for chumps. The real game is connecting roads.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Gruckles posted:

Connecting the network is for chumps. The real game is connecting roads.

god, yes. something about rebuilding physical infrastructure really gets me, and all the people on my "shard" or whatever are lazy fucks so i've finished about 70% of them

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

emdash posted:

god, yes. something about rebuilding physical infrastructure really gets me, and all the people on my "shard" or whatever are lazy fucks so i've finished about 70% of them

I was all about rebuilding the roads until I discovered zip-lining everywhere. It's faster and you can build them almost anywhere on the map.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
i love the zip lines too, but i can't let those yellow lines on the map be unfinished. i just can't! (Plus there are some Standard Orders it's infeasible to do without a truck)

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

In Chapter 3 and does the map get any better?

Trying to separate autopavers from postboxes is driving me loving insane. The map is so bad. Why are there blue lines everywhere and why can't I turn them off?

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

The chapter three map is larger? Dunno about better, but at least it has the possibility of roads.

In other news, I wish I'd used the sticky gun a lot sooner then I did because jesus christ it really saves me some time when collecting random boxes of poo poo to deliver.

Also, I sorta wish I'd played offline? All this "connectedness" really makes some areas of the map look like the vegas strip. The map being littered with abandoned vehicles is also annoying as hell.

Lexorin fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Nov 12, 2019

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Not an owner of a PS4. Is there anywhere one could indulge in reading about/understanding the story for the game (as confusing as Kojima tends to be)?

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Yestermoment posted:

Not an owner of a PS4. Is there anywhere one could indulge in reading about/understanding the story for the game (as confusing as Kojima tends to be)?

Before release the game had some sort of embargo to tell people details about anything past chapter 3, and after release everyone is too busy enjoying the game to like, write a wiki.

The game is a good way to learn the lore, anyway, the game create mysteries but explain these mysteries later on and create new ones. Is cool that way (some people don't like that).

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Yestermoment posted:

There are a bunch of YT videos about it already. But there's a PC release coming, in case you wish to avoid spoilers for that

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Duckula posted:

In Chapter 3 and does the map get any better?

Trying to separate autopavers from postboxes is driving me loving insane. The map is so bad. Why are there blue lines everywhere and why can't I turn them off?

The autopavers are on little stepped pedestals.'

The blue lines are where you walked. You have only yourself to blame. ;)

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

I'm already in chapter three and although Mama and Heartman are emailing and codecing me I haven't, uh, met them yet. Is that weird? I'm used to main characters get introduced with a little movie where the actor's name is displayed. I guess what I'm asking is did I miss something? Like was I supposed to poke around the first city?

On another note its wierd that Kojima keeps giving women codenames like Quiet, Fragile, and Mama. Was The Boss a fluke?

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

BBQ Dave posted:

I'm already in chapter three and although Mama and Heartman are emailing and codecing me I haven't, uh, met them yet. Is that weird? I'm used to main characters get introduced with a little movie where the actor's name is displayed. I guess what I'm asking is did I miss something? Like was I supposed to poke around the first city?

On another note its wierd that Kojima keeps giving women codenames like Quiet, Fragile, and Mama. Was The Boss a fluke?

their labs aren't near the capitol, so you'll finally reach them later on in the story.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Any tips on timing my bike jump? I can't seem to perfect it in critical situations.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

BBQ Dave posted:

I'm not sure if they explicitly tell you that those two are "working remotely", but yeah, you didn't miss anything

BTW, piece of advice for completionists: any time you encounter MULEs or BTs in anything like a set area (barn, ruined city, etc) be on the lookout for a memory chip. They seem to require more than one scan to show up. And please, when you pick it up, put down the memory chip sign so the next person has an easier time!

emdash fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Nov 12, 2019

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

BBQ Dave posted:

The game do things differently. That convention of videogames is thrown here for a more natural one. Is great to meet them later. And so on.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

https://twitter.com/KojiPro2015_EN/status/1194292384521060354

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Quiet didn’t speak. Fragile has an old lady body. And Mama is a mother.

They’re kinda lovely code names.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Of all the games I'd expect to have a great double jump, this was not one of them.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
The five floating figures seen several times are the previous 5 Extinction Entities, right?

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

emdash posted:

BTW, piece of advice for completionists: any time you encounter MULEs or BTs in anything like a set area (barn, ruined city, etc) be on the lookout for a memory chip. They seem to require more than one scan to show up. And please, when you pick it up, put down the memory chip sign so the next person has an easier time!

I do this, but just so I know which ones I've already picked up. But I think the mem chip marker is considered a spoiler marker as I've never seen any but my own.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

veni veni veni posted:

Of all the games I'd expect to have a great double jump, this was not one of them.

Do you need a speed skeleton 2 to do this?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Lexorin posted:

I do this, but just so I know which ones I've already picked up. But I think the mem chip marker is considered a spoiler marker as I've never seen any but my own.

drat I guess that's probably true. Oh well

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
So does everyone in Death Stranding have an extremely low ping because the internet travels backwards in time through Hell? (chapter 2 cutscene)

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

DalaranJ posted:

Do you need a speed skeleton 2 to do this?

Sam can just naturally double jump if you jump while sprinting, and then hit X again before landing. I think there might also be a cooldown on it or something, I don't always get the prompt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

moller posted:

So does everyone in Death Stranding have an extremely low ping because the internet travels backwards in time through Hell? (chapter 2 cutscene)

yes