Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Show was really good. I wasn't expecting any humor at all, but they peppered it in nicely. Looks beautiful. That score slaps. Star Wars-y with an 80's feel. drat.

Question though, old Imperial dude paid him with a block of metal that is apparently some old Mando metal, I guess? Which they melted down into a shoulder pad for him? What was that all about?

Also, the ending, I know we know nothing about Yoda's species, because Lucas wanted it that way, but is there any reason to think they're all that special? Sure, Yoda was, but that doesn't mean his species should be. I wonder if they're just super rare, and that doctor wanted to do experiments? Or if they'll end up being super attuned to the Force or something.

Anyway, yeah, the show hits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

SyRauk posted:

Me: Huh, that guy sounds like Brian Posehn.

Me 10 seconds later: That IS Brian Posehn.

I'm also extremely impressed by their media backlog and it kind of blew my mind seeing the 30s, 40s, 50s, etc categories.

Yea, that was cool. I bet Posehn pooped himself when he got the call for a cameo, the guy is a big fan of most nerdy stuff, Star Wars especially. Also, Bill Burr is getting a cameo at some point, which is funny because he pokes fun at Star Wars fans all the time.

There was also a funny little Star Wars Holiday Special in the beginning when Mandolorian's bounty mentions trying to get home for 'Life Day', which was some stupid holiday Lucas invented so he could market a non-denominational seasonal special, which ended up being so bad and so critically panned that he tried to scour from the planet; thankfully/unfortunately he was not successful though.

I'm not much of a Star Wars fan anymore (although that doesn't stop me from missing lots of little details) but so far, I'm really impressed with the overall quality, you can see that a lot of love and work (and money) went into it. It's basically a 12-part Boba Fett movie made in the style of a western, which is pretty darn bad rear end and something 14 -year old me would have wanted; feels real good man.

I have to poke around and see what else is on Disney+ but I'm not sure if there is enough there to justify keeping a subscription for very long. I may wait until this is done being trickle-fed and just keep Disney+ for a couple of months, I haven't decided yet.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

thrawn527 posted:

Show was really good. I wasn't expecting any humor at all, but they peppered it in nicely. Looks beautiful. That score slaps. Star Wars-y with an 80's feel. drat.

Question though, old Imperial dude paid him with a block of metal that is apparently some old Mando metal, I guess? Which they melted down into a shoulder pad for him? What was that all about?

Also, the ending, I know we know nothing about Yoda's species, because Lucas wanted it that way, but is there any reason to think they're all that special? Sure, Yoda was, but that doesn't mean his species should be. I wonder if they're just super rare, and that doctor wanted to do experiments? Or if they'll end up being super attuned to the Force or something.

I guess the metal Mando's armor is made from is super-rare, exotic stuff, and probably got some nifty properties like being able to protect against just about everything the universe can through at him. Basically the metal is like Valyrian steel from Game of Thrones or something.

At least that's what it seems to be, from what I can gleam from just this episode.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Jusupov posted:

Best Star Wars since the original trilogy

I still like Rogue one as fourth best. This is approaching that feel.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Tumble posted:

I guess the metal Mando's armor is made out of is super-rare, exotic stuff, and probably got some nifty properties like being able to protect against just about everything the universe can through at him. Basically the metal is like Valyrian steel from Game of Thrones or something.

At least that's what it seems to be from what I can gleam from just this episode.

Also I believe I heard the blacksmith mention that the money made from selling off the excess metal was enough to meaningfully support the entire clan. So it's also space gold.

Also why are we spoilering

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Cross-Section posted:

Also I believe I heard the blacksmith mention that the money made from selling off the excess metal was enough to meaningfully support the entire clan. So it's also space gold.

Also why are we spoilering

Eh, people are having trouble logging in, so they might not be able to watch it yet, but still might also like to read general opinions. I figured might as well extend a common courtesy.

One other thing I just remembered, IG unit said he was told very specifically to kill the target. So either old Imperial guy is playing two sides, or there’s someone else out there hunting him.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

thrawn527 posted:

Its Beskar aka Mandalorian iron, which is near indestructible.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1194264720544423936

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tumble posted:

I guess the metal Mando's armor is made from is super-rare, exotic stuff, and probably got some nifty properties like being able to protect against just about everything the universe can through at him. Basically the metal is like Valyrian steel from Game of Thrones or something.

At least that's what it seems to be, from what I can gleam from just this episode.

Beskar It comes from Mandalores moon Concordia. It's basically space mithrill and the Mandalorians mined the tits off the moon for 7000 years, using it for everything from armour to plastic free drinking straws.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Piell posted:

Its Beskar aka Mandalorian iron, which is near indestructible.

Rocksicles posted:

Beskar It comes from Mandalores moon Concordia. It's basically space mithrill and the Mandalorians mined the tits off the moon for 7000 years, using it for everything from armour to plastic free drinking straws.

Ah, cool. Thanks!

Mayman10
May 11, 2019

I hope we see him get fancy new armor bits every episode

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Did Bill Burr show up in this ep?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

AlternateAccount posted:

Did Bill Burr show up in this ep?

Not yet, but let this carry you over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DA8RLAPfEXQ

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Well, that's what I've been wanting out of Star Wars ever since the OT.
I've always felt more drawn to the seedier underworld elements, I love space crime.

Great stuff, the blurgg taming scene was corny but it can't be Star Wars without some cheese.

The music though, god drat, finally something that doesn't loving have binary sunset in it.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Deakul posted:

Well, that's what I've been wanting out of Star Wars ever since the OT.
I've always felt more drawn to the seedier underworld elements, I love space crime.

Great stuff, the blurgg taming scene was corny but it can't be Star Wars without some cheese.

The music though, god drat, finally something that doesn't loving have binary sunset in it.

I can handle him getting Mr Myagi'd a bit to balance his straight ninjaness.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Rocksicles posted:

I can handle him getting Mr Myagi'd a bit to balance his straight ninjaness.

Agreed. It served it's purpose of humanizing him a little bit to set up his human moment at the end. He had been an unstoppable machine up until then.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
Ending spoiler: Baby Yoda is loving cute as hell.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

So far this show rules.

I have spoken.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

https://twitter.com/starwarstuff/status/1194312669416828928

And Kathleen Kennedy, of course.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Nov 12, 2019

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

mikeraskol posted:

Ending spoiler: Baby Yoda is loving cute as hell.

I really hope it's not literally Yoda Jr. There's a million reasons why that makes no sense but since when has that ever stopped the Lucasfilm Story Group.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I assume they don't want to drop the whole season at once, at least at the start of Disney+ so that people can't binge their initial offerings while under the 7 day trial and then cancel.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jose Oquendo posted:

I really hope it's not literally Yoda Jr. There's a million reasons why that makes no sense but since when has that ever stopped the Lucasfilm Story Group.

It'd be like 10 years before the clone wars, when a Jedi master has time to balance a few midichlorians.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

We no nothing about Yodas so maybe he grew from a bud or an egg, maybe he's some sort of Dali Llama-esque reincarnation, maybe there's a mystical pool where they start out as tadpoles or something. I assume Yodas have a special connection with The Force and that's why this baby is special, but yeah literally Yoda Jr. would be whack.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Felt like a good amount of callbacks without devolving into callbacks for the sake of callbacks. A little janky CG here and there but nothing horrific. Some of the settings felt a little sparse, but Planet Herzog was excellent and gave the feel I've been hoping for with Star Wars for a long time. Makes me want to dust off my Edge of the Empire RPG books once more.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Holy shitsnacks this is exactly what I was wanting out of some Star Wars. The Mandalorian is good and I can't wait for more.

I wonder if he'll end up on Batuu just so they can show that. Lots of the sets, which are impressive as hell, kinda look like it.

(And,yeah, the servers for Disney+ are being destroyed right now)

Mayman10
May 11, 2019

The empire is no more so are we post-OT but pre-ST?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Mayman10 posted:

Can’t remember where I read it but I believe it’s 5 years after ROTJ.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Mayman10 posted:

Yep. Soon enough post Jedi for there not to be holdout functionaries doing the business of whats left of The Empire, not long enough for the FO and its iTroopers to be stomping around.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Question: I keep seeing things like "Download the Disney + app and sign up!" Can you just sign up on a laptap/PC and just stream, ala Netflix and Hulu, or does one need to download a specific app?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Can’t remember where I read it but I believe it’s 5 years after ROTJ.

Correct

quote:

That’s where the series’ place in the Star Wars timeline comes into play. Favreau has said that The Mandalorian is set five years after the fall of the Empire in Episode VI: Return of the Jedi (1983) and 25 years before the rise of the First Order, the authoritarian regime that is firmly in control of the galaxy when Episode VII: The Force Awakens (2015) begins.
In terms of Star Wars years, Return of the Jedi is set in 4 ABY (after the Battle of Yavin) and The Force Awakens is set in 34 ABY, which means The Mandalorian takes place around 9 ABY. This is a period of time when the New Republic, the democratic government formed by the Rebel Alliance following their victory over the Empire, has only a tenuous hold on the galaxy — especially its lawless outskirts.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Davros1 posted:

Question: I keep seeing things like "Download the Disney + app and sign up!" Can you just sign up on a laptap/PC and just stream, ala Netflix and Hulu, or does one need to download a specific app?

Yes, you can watch on a browser. They're just advertising the app because a lot of people will be using it via smart phones, Apple TVs, Rokus, smart TVs, etc.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Davros1 posted:

Like Netflix/Hulu, you can just got the website or use the app.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
the trailer where they showed someone going YOU SPILLED MY DRINK and then the tough good guy beats up some bad guys and his friends using age old Jason Statham moves really really killed this for me fast. those sixty seconds confirmed this show is going to be unwatchable. without even seeing the rest you can immediately confirm he'll get a wacky sidekick and a moment of characterization at some point where he's asked to do something distasteful by a mysterious client. plots from the 1960s in rubber suits.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Rogue One and The Mandalorian are part of the "Star Wars is A Place" (taken from The Greatest Generation) storytelling and frankly after Rise Of Skywalker it's the only way I want to see more stories from this franchise. Less space wizards, more tales of other people and happenings.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Gay Horney posted:

the trailer where they showed someone going YOU SPILLED MY DRINK and then the tough good guy beats up some bad guys and his friends using age old Jason Statham moves really really killed this for me fast. those sixty seconds confirmed this show is going to be unwatchable. without even seeing the rest you can immediately confirm he'll get a wacky sidekick and a moment of characterization at some point where he's asked to do something distasteful by a mysterious client. plots from the 1960s in rubber suits.

lmao wut

edit: have you ever seen a Star Wars story?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Gay Horney posted:

Source your quotes

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Rogue One and The Mandalorian are part of the "Star Wars is A Place" (taken from The Greatest Generation) storytelling and frankly after Rise Of Skywalker it's the only way I want to see more stories from this franchise. Less space wizards, more tales of other people and happenings.

I like having both, personally.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

thrawn527 posted:

Yes, you can watch on a browser. They're just advertising the app because a lot of people will be using it via smart phones, Apple TVs, Rokus, smart TVs, etc.

Piell posted:

Like Netflix/Hulu, you can just got the website or use the app.

Thanks very much!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

thrawn527 posted:

I like having both, personally.

Yeah I mean, I've been a fan of SW for 42 years, and have likes and dislikes throughout the years, but I'm hoping that episode 9 is the last of the primary story we see for a LONG time. I think regulating it to 'smaller' stories for a while would allow for some fun ideas and new blood to come in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

lmao wut

edit: have you ever seen a Star Wars story?

yes and they have been bad ever since Disney bought them. this is literally paint by numbers poo poo. Bounty hunter, tragic past, wacky sidekick, mysterious client, distasteful job. I gave this a shot because I did like rogue one. every single character beat in mandalorian is completely predictable.