Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

D+ bonus: Original Trilogy in 4k HDR :dance:
D+ reversal of fortune: Original Trilogy is the special additions :sad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Gay Horney posted:

yes and they have been bad ever since Disney bought them. this is literally paint by numbers poo poo. Bounty hunter, tragic past, wacky sidekick, mysterious client, distasteful job. I gave this a shot because I did like rogue one. every single character beat in mandalorian is completely predictable.

You liked Rogue One and yet this is where you draw the line?

lmao

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

D+ bonus: Original Trilogy in 4k HDR :dance:
D+ reversal of fortune: Original Trilogy is the special additions :sad:

D+ Reversal of reversal of fortune: Maclunkey.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Deakul posted:

You liked Rogue One and yet this is where you draw the line?

lmao

Particularly incomprehensible when your complaint is "I dislike archtypical characters."

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Maybe watch it before utterly outright dismissing it.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I do hope we get a SW show about some wetworks squad (rebel or imperial). Rogue One didn't have the balls to go where it should have, maybe they'll get it right on the second try.

From what I understand there's a Casio Andor show in the works. Maybe that will be the one.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I hope we see more of Herzog's world-weary, grimey warlord of his little fractured piece of the broken Empire. I'd love for him to be a recurring foil.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I'm interested in that Doctor that wanted the mark taken alive

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
One cool thing the show is going with apparently: the mandalorian is a foundling, orphan, that got brought into a mando clan. Always weary of EU mando stuff because it can devolve quickly into more bloodlines bullshit so I'm glad they are nixing that straight away.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

jivjov posted:

I'm interested in that Doctor that wanted the mark taken alive

I’m more curious as to why The Client thought they’d need to kill the mark in order to bring it in.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I did watch it. I was hoping for something beyond the most obvious and immediate Bounty Hunter plot I've ever seen. No surprises at all in the plot and it doesn't look all that great either. I thought rogue one was at least bold in its ending minus the fan service at the end. this is for people who just want More Star Wars and don't exercise any thought beyond that.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I’m more curious as to why The Client thought they’d need to kill the mark in order to bring it in.

re-enactment

*crime guys unveil the yoda container*
CG1: Oh fu-
CG2: Its a fucken yoda! run!
*wild blaster shooting as crime guy 5 runs away, in the background crime guys 1 to 4 are being force smushed*

i assume

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It could be that the Bounty is inherently dangerous due to natural Force Attunement, or I mean look at how well guarded and how much of a mess they had to make getting to it, if it weren't for narrative contrivance the Bounty could have easily gotten squashed/fried in all that.

I'm interested to find out.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Jerkface posted:

One cool thing the show is going with apparently: the mandalorian is a foundling, orphan, that got brought into a mando clan. Always weary of EU mando stuff because it can devolve quickly into more bloodlines bullshit so I'm glad they are nixing that straight away.

It does feel like at times Filoni takes great pleasure in dismantling Traviss' vision of the Mandalorians.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I knew where they were going very quickly with the whole child to humanize as disgruntled and apathetic protagonist, but it was good fun to watch. Felt like it had decent production value, although the VFX looked pretty bad when they weren't using animatronix and puppets which they thankfully did a bunch.

Also, Filoni, so they've got a lot of good faith to draw on for a lot of episodes.

I also can't remember the last time Disney actually earned a chuckle with good writing, but here we are. Maybe this is what happens when you don't patronize your audience.

In hindsight, I'm also thankful the violence is very reduced, because it will drive home the point that mature writing is not the same as adult content. This is a bar any other Disney franchise should be able to meet regardless of the target demographic.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Gay Horney posted:

I did watch it. I was hoping for something beyond the most obvious and immediate Bounty Hunter plot I've ever seen. No surprises at all in the plot and it doesn't look all that great either. I thought rogue one was at least bold in its ending minus the fan service at the end. this is for people who just want More Star Wars and don't exercise any thought beyond that.

This is episode 1 of an 8 episode season of a show that finally has no major connection to the films, maybe give it more time to go through its entire story?
I think it looks pretty drat good for a TV series too.

quote:

this is for people who just want More Star Wars and don't exercise any thought beyond that.

Whaaat, a Star Wars show that has more appeal for people who like Star Wars?! :monocle:

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Dawgstar posted:

It does feel like at times Filoni takes great pleasure in dismantling Traviss' vision of the Mandalorians.

Wait, as I recall it the whole "adopting orphans into the culture" was a big thing in Traviss' books too. What's the deal here?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Cross-Section posted:

Also I believe I heard the blacksmith mention that the money made from selling off the excess metal was enough to meaningfully support the entire clan. So it's also space gold.

Pretty sure his "advance" of Beskar steel all went into the pauldron, it was the Mon Calimari credits he was paid by Carl Weathers for bounties collect that she said would support the Tribe.

Also my Star Wars TTRPG nerves jangled when he accepted half the agreed amount in Mon Cal credits but left the Imperial credits on the table. He should have pressed for both since he was offered largely useless scrip and then shorted in more negotiable currency!

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
So He's definitely gonna raise that baby yoda to be a mandalorian and we're gonna see a mandalorian in tiny lil mandalorian armor, right?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

dudeness posted:

So He's definitely gonna raise that baby yoda to be a mandalorian and we're gonna see a mandalorian in tiny lil mandalorian armor, right?
Think of the merchandise!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

dudeness posted:

Considering he's still a baby at the age of 50, how long do you think it would take to train him to be a Mandalorian? I'm not sure he has that kind of time.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I'm not sure it's going to be relevant to the thrust of the story, but I'm also curious about the guys they had to blast through to get to Babby Yoda. The Guide implied they'd been dug in for a while, probably years at least, and repelled every hunter to make a run at them. Kidnappers? Religious Zealots? Hired guards and caretakers? The Reveal certainly re-contextualizes how you look at them in retrospect from probable ne'er do wells to possible righteous baby defenders.

Mayman10
May 11, 2019

Owlbear Camus posted:

Pretty sure his "advance" of Beskar steel all went into the pauldron, it was the Mon Calimari credits he was paid by Carl Weathers for bounties collect that she said would support the Tribe.

Also my Star Wars TTRPG nerves jangled when he accepted half the agreed amount in Mon Cal credits but left the Imperial credits on the table. He should have pressed for both since he was offered largely useless scrip and then shorted in more negotiable currency!

"The excess will sponsor many foundlings"

Idk Im pretty sure the blacksmith is referring to the excess Beskar as opposed to the Mon Calimari credits since you can't really have an excess in the same sense

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Could be. He hands the credits over right before the line and that little thin ingot looks stretched to make even the pauldron, but :shrug:

I guess either interpretation communicates the intent of the scene whether it's the cash or the steel: He is a foundling and his amoral bounty hunting is in the service of supporting his Mando Tribe Orphanage.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Owlbear Camus posted:

I'm not sure it's going to be relevant to the thrust of the story, but I'm also curious about the guys they had to blast through to get to Babby Yoda. The Guide implied they'd been dug in for a while, probably years at least, and repelled every hunter to make a run at them. Kidnappers? Religious Zealots? Hired guards and caretakers? The Reveal certainly re-contextualizes how you look at them in retrospect from probable ne'er do wells to possible righteous baby defenders.
If Filoni and Favreau are pulling from Legends continuty, they could be Morgukai, which were a cult of Nikto (all the guards were Nikto) that were trained to resist Force abilities and hunt Jedi.

Don't know why they would be protecting the baby, though. Maybe they didn't want to kill a child and were keeping it isolated so it couldn't escape into the galaxy to cause trouble later on?

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011
He met a "Doctor" at the beginning and they point out that the Yoda-species become very old, if you add that together it could be a plot about "stealing / researching" whatever makes the Yoda-race that old (which would explain why it's either kill or capture, a live specimen is preferable but probably not needed).

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!
I was happy to see the classic Star Wars aliens that the ST mostly omits in favor of flavorless new aliens. I'm also glad they made the Mandalorian competent, but not an unstoppable killing machine. He would get eaten by the space fish cows if it wasn't for space Nick Nolte. He also seemed kinda down on his luck, flying a crappy old spaceship and obviously being in need of money. Kinda reminds me of Deckard, but less of an rear end in a top hat. I wasn't very excited for the show before but I am excited now.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
"I have spoken"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Captain Jesus posted:

I was happy to see the classic Star Wars aliens that the ST mostly omits in favor of flavorless new aliens. I'm also glad they made the Mandalorian competent, but not an unstoppable killing machine. He would get eaten by the space fish cows if it wasn't for space Nick Nolte. He also seemed kinda down on his luck, flying a crappy old spaceship and obviously being in need of money. Kinda reminds me of Deckard, but less of an rear end in a top hat. I wasn't very excited for the show before but I am excited now.

It was nice to see a Quarren and a Kubaz right off.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I'm using the Samsung TV app, everything I try the lip sync is way off.

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

There might be different clients. The Mandalorian is on a dead or alive contract, preferably alive. But the other hunter had a kill contract. My thought was that there's one faction that wants to study the bounty while the other wants to deny them the opportunity.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Princess Leia, they never make her a Jedi but even before she flies in force awakens they give her tons of scenes of haveing mysterious predictions and feelings about stuff like a psychic

I guess Leia would apply, yeah, I guess I was more thinking of seeing this on a supporting role rather than one of the main characters.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ahh! That was so good, and paid off in just about every way I was hoping. That said, I sort of rolled my eyes at the instant beastmastery after being reminded of his ancestors, and the blue guy was annoying and they couldn’t get him in carbonite quickly enough :P

What’s the release schedule like for this?

And now to overdose on the rest of my childhood Disney afternoon cartoons until episode 2.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Martytoof posted:

What’s the release schedule like for this?

Every Friday (including 3 days from now) except for the week TRoS comes out. That week gets a Wednesday release

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Captain Jesus posted:

space Nick Nolte.

Great, now that's all I can see.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Wow so they completely cut Bill Burr, who was originally Doctor Pershing in the leaked footage from D23.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
bill burr is a bounty hunter now

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

I can't be the only one who thinks the writing is extremely bad, the tone is all over the place, and pedro pascal is the wrong voice for a strong, silent type character?

I mean, I want to like it, but the first ep seemed like it was trying really hard to be completely uninteresting.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Next episode is going to open with him tossing the baby yoda into a carbonite chamber thing

Nick Nolte's species was one of those guys that played keepaway with C3PO's head in Empire, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

marxismftw posted:

I can't be the only one who thinks the writing is extremely bad, the tone is all over the place, and pedro pascal is the wrong voice for a strong, silent type character?

I mean, I want to like it, but the first ep seemed like it was trying really hard to be completely uninteresting.

I'm sure you're not the only one, but you're definitely in the minority.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Nick Nolte's species was one of those guys that played keepaway with C3PO's head in Empire, right?

Yep, Kuiil is an Ugnaught