Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap
Lately, I've been waking up with a sore back, around my hips. I'm a stomach sleeper, and I have a hand-me-down full mattress, and a hand-me-down queen foam topper. Replacing the mattress is probably out of budget right now, but I wasn't noticing any significant issues before the topper got added.

I've always woken up with some lower back soreness, if I slept more than 8 hours or so, but this is the first time it doesn't go away if I pull my knees to my chest and wait a few minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

tinytort posted:

Lately, I've been waking up with a sore back, around my hips. I'm a stomach sleeper, and I have a hand-me-down full mattress, and a hand-me-down queen foam topper. Replacing the mattress is probably out of budget right now, but I wasn't noticing any significant issues before the topper got added.

I've always woken up with some lower back soreness, if I slept more than 8 hours or so, but this is the first time it doesn't go away if I pull my knees to my chest and wait a few minutes.

The most common cause for lower back pain (especially as you describe) for stomach sleepers is a lack of support around and just above the pelvis. The lower abdomen sinks a bit much; the pelvis tilts forward. The lower back tightens to try to maintain a more natural posture, and thus the sleeper wakes sore and stiff. By stretching those muscles (like you pulling your knees to your chest), you're working that stiffness out.

It is certainly possible that the topper that you added is so thick and fluffy that it counteracts the support of your mattress, but it is more likely that your mattress was on the way out, and the topper just amplified that. I'd pull the topper off for now, if you can, until you're prepared to go looking for a new mattress.

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap
It's a spring mattress that used to be in my parents' guestroom. It's probably not in the best condition, but it should at least have a couple years left in it.

I'll yank the topper off, though, and put saving up for a new mattress on the priority list. Thanks. (And in the meantime, if pulling the topper off isn't enough, I can see if shoving a pillow under my hips helps.)

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

My partner is a back and sometimes stomach sleeper, I'm a side sleeper. We want to get a new King sized bed, are there any Goon Approved mattresses? We usually really like the ones in nice hotels, if that is helpful. Preferably Amazon.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Professor Shark posted:

My partner is a back and sometimes stomach sleeper, I'm a side sleeper. We want to get a new King sized bed, are there any Goon Approved mattresses? We usually really like the ones in nice hotels, if that is helpful. Preferably Amazon.

Nice hotels tend to use BeautyRest mattresses, and hotels generally try for firm pillowtops.

I've matched the Bay Spring to multiple resort hotels over the last couple of years. If you want to pursue the Mattress Firm route, hit me up; I have some authorization to help goons.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

My Zinus mattress started losing support at the spot I sleep on, and now the springs do a weird clicking thing whenever I move or over. Should I try and get a replacement (under warranty or whatever)? Is there a way to fix it or prevent it?

Are the springs themselves broken? Or is it like just the foam top getting lovely (I’ve had this for like less than a year)?

I’m gonna be real loving mad if I have to replace this thing after less than a year. Holy poo poo.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Aug 5, 2019

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Pollyanna posted:

My Zinus mattress started losing support at the spot I sleep on, and now the springs do a weird clicking thing whenever I move or over. Should I try and get a replacement (under warranty or whatever)? Is there a way to fix it or prevent it?

Are the springs themselves broken? Or is it like just the foam top getting lovely (I’ve had this for like less than a year)?

I’m gonna be real loving mad if I have to replace this thing after less than a year. Holy poo poo.

Is it on a platform or a foundation? And I presume it's a hybrid? Clicking is not a normal sound, so I'll poke around with some of my colleagues and see if we can hypothesize what's up.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Slats, and yeah, hybrid: https://www.zinus.com/collections/product-cooling-hybrid-gel-foam/products/cooling-hybrid-gel-foam-queen-mattress

It’s just in one spot but it’s noticeably different from the rest of the mattress now. Ultimately not a huge deal but it just fucks me off cuz broke brain.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Digging in a little more, it looks like any part of the bed does the clicking thing, I think it’s the springs. The top-left corner just does it more readily. I think it’s the foam top wearing down or getting soft or something. Is that normal?

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

So I put heads together with some of my colleagues whose experience and expertise I trust more than my own.

As best we can come up with, the clicking and popping noise you're hearing is the coils rubbing against and past each other. We can't identify exactly why, but there are a few possible reasons.
  • The most likely reason is that the coils are all straight columns, while being both densely packed and relatively cheap. As such, they actually touch, and as one coil compresses due to the weight directly on top of it, it brushes against coils next to it that are not being compressed. The clicking is the sound of those wires slipping by one another, and snapping past once a sufficient amount of compression is applied or removed.
  • A less likely but possible reason is that the coils have bent ever so slightly as a byproduct of its packaging and shipping. Rolling up a bed tightly to ship in a box (if this is how it came!) could have affected the overall structural integrity just slightly enough to curve coils. This would give a similar effect to the first theory, while having a different root cause.
  • The least likely reason is that the casings around the coils was damaged, either in transit, or from some other defect. The coils therefore are not staying as vertical as they should and are bumping into one another.

The first is by far the most likely scenario, the second is possible, and the third would be a real poo poo show. The fact that you can replicate the noise over the entire surface is what mostly rules out the second.

Your mattress's integrity should not be hampered by either of the first two possibilities, while the third would put you on the FUBAR fast track. If you're super concerned, reach out to the manufacturer for clarification.

It is normal for mattresses to soften under where you sleep; we generally advise folks to try to break the mattress in evenly over the first few weeks by walking or crawling or generally putting pressure all over the surface to prevent it from being noticeable. Over the first few months you will be breaking in (read: wearing a bit) only the top foam layers of a mattress, not the support structure.

I'm not sure if I completely answered what you were looking for, so let me know if I can provide more clarification!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

After a month or so, I love my Purple2 and Purple sheets. I wake up with a lot less back pain than I used to. It comes back instantly when I pick my twins up, but at least I have 45 seconds without back pain!

The Purple pillow is still weird as hell. It’s like sleeping on a 10lb Eggo waffle.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I've read that mattresses like the Purple can be really warm at night, is there any truth to that? I'd love to just buy one like it on Amazon using Prime

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I don't have any issue with my Puple2 running hot. It may be different for the original Purple since it's just a block of foam I think.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Professor Shark posted:

I've read that mattresses like the Purple can be really warm at night, is there any truth to that? I'd love to just buy one like it on Amazon using Prime

You're not going to find one just like it. Purple has some pretty severe patents on their grid system, so anything you'd get similar to it would be a cheap knockoff, or a fundamentally different technology.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I don't have any issue with my Puple2 running hot. It may be different for the original Purple since it's just a block of foam I think.

The Purple Original is a foam core underneath two inches of their grid. The numbered Purple series is a coil system topped with a grid--the number denotes the thickness of the grid in inches.

The grid itself is fairly adept at heat dissipation, but I have no idea if the Original gets warm. Certainly it is much less of a concern than most comparatively priced all foam beds, though.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Synastren posted:

I'm not sure if I completely answered what you were looking for, so let me know if I can provide more clarification!

Naw, this all makes sense. Sorry, I’ve just been in a really weird place recently. I suppose it makes sense to try and vary up where I sleep, I’m making a point of changing around the side I sleep on now. Might rotate the mattress too just to get it more even.

IIRC the coils are individually wrapped so that first one makes the most sense. It’s prolly just easier to make happen on the commonly slept side since it’s more broken in.

Thanks!!

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Purple has fairly recently come out with a new pillow called the Purple Plush Pillow. It is not made of the same Purple grid material like the original pillow. It is VERY SOFT AND FLUFFY. It has two zippers on the sides - you can zip it up to be firmer or unzip to be softer.

I got mine today and it is already the best thing ever.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Is that super new? When I bought my bed a month or two ago, I swear it didn’t exist.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
It definitely came out this year. I hadn't heard of it until a week ago when I Googled "plush pillow" and it came up and I was like :aaaaa:

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

But how cool does it stay? My biggest issue is that my pillow gets hot as an oven while I sleep, to the point where my neck and head are sweating when I wake up, and my arms(under the pillow) are burning up. It's honestly the worst part about sleeping for me, and if I could find a way to reduce the heat, things would be a ton better.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Professor Shark posted:

I have a purple 1 and it doesn't run warm at all. in fact it's pleasantly cool

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
purple 1 hasn't been ideal for my back pain because im a side sleeper

purple 2 and new purple pillow sound dank as heck tho

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

purple 1 hasn't been ideal for my back pain because im a side sleeper

purple 2 and new purple pillow sound dank as heck tho

I have the Purple 2, 3, and 4 on my floor in my store now, and so have a little more insight into the product.

I will almost refuse to sell Purple 2s to side sleepers; it's a huge return risk, because it doesn't relieve as much pressure as folks may think. You'd be better served going either for the Original or the 3 probably 99% of the time.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i am a side and back sleeper. sometimes i wake up with lower back pain. currently i have a foam from dixie foam mattresses. it worked well for a while, and i thought it felt decent enough.

what kind of mattress should i be looking at? i’m willing to spend whatever.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

abelwingnut posted:

i am a side and back sleeper. sometimes i wake up with lower back pain. currently i have a foam from dixie foam mattresses. it worked well for a while, and i thought it felt decent enough.

what kind of mattress should i be looking at? i’m willing to spend whatever.

I either sleep on my back or start on my side and end on my back; I've had one of these for four months now, and I think it's solid:

LUCID 12 Inch Full Latex Hybrid Mattress

The first five or ten minutes might hurt until your back gets used to it; I went to it from a futon and it took me a bit to get used to springs again.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Aug 12, 2019

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Synastren posted:

I have the Purple 2, 3, and 4 on my floor in my store now, and so have a little more insight into the product.

I will almost refuse to sell Purple 2s to side sleepers; it's a huge return risk, because it doesn't relieve as much pressure as folks may think. You'd be better served going either for the Original or the 3 probably 99% of the time.

I'm a side sleeper and bought a 2 and it feels great. The 3 was comically, insanely way too squishy for my taste. I didn't even bother trying the 4.

Not trying to be a dick and blow up your post, just wanted to provide my single anecdote.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

I'm a side sleeper and bought a 2 and it feels great. The 3 was comically, insanely way too squishy for my taste. I didn't even bother trying the 4.

Not trying to be a dick and blow up your post, just wanted to provide my single anecdote.
Another anecdote here, I tried all of them last month- I’m a tall & lean side/stomach sleeper who was previously sleeping on a medium/firm coil mattress that I liked, but it was old and far from perfect. I was split between the original Purple and the 3, the 2 was just a bit too firm for me. I wound up figuring that that 3 split the difference more towards my preference, and after about a month on it I think it was the right choice.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Saaaaaaame.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Thanatosian posted:

Saaaaaaame.

Yeah, I mean it's not like all of them are returned, it's just that that specific Purple is returned at significantly higher levels than the others, and specifically to folks that sleep on their side. We have folks who go significantly firmer than we advise who are happy with their purchase, but there are a lot of folks who do the same thing and are decidedly not happy. The sheer variance of folks' sleep needs with their body shape makes a one-sized-fits-all recommendation pretty much impossible.

If it's working for you, great!

Speaking only for myself, I'm still getting really acquainted to these products in any sort of professional capacity, so I'm digging into whatever data I can get from the company, and I'm tracking performance at a local level, too. At the end of the day, I can only offer advice to folks I work with; SA forum posts are generally Q&A or broad recommendations. :v:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

My partner and I decided that we didn't want to risk buying online, so we're going to check out a local place to try things out to see what we like. They mostly stock Simmons and Beautyrest, are they a reputable brands?

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Professor Shark posted:

My partner and I decided that we didn't want to risk buying online, so we're going to check out a local place to try things out to see what we like. They mostly stock Simmons and Beautyrest, are they a reputable brands?

BeautyRest is the major imprint from Simmons, and is a very solid brand.

The biggest mattress manufacturers are Serta, Tempur-Sealy (includes Stearns & Foster), and Simmons. Spring Air is a somewhat distant fourth place.

As long as you stay over ~600 for a queen (~800 for a king), you'll get something decent, almost no matter the brand. Quality improves as price, but there's a point of diminishing returns somewhere around 2k.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Any information about the Puffy Mattress? I've never heard of it until today but someone said it was better rated than the Purple but I know mattress rating websites are all affiliate bs

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

Any information about the Puffy Mattress? I've never heard of it until today but someone said it was better rated than the Purple but I know mattress rating websites are all affiliate bs

Puffy is Yet Another BIAB. It's all foam. It's roughly interchangable with tulo/Tuft & Needle/Leesa/Saatva/Nectar/Avacado/more than I want to keep typing out.

It does have a gnarly affiliate bonus though, so be aware of that when you look over reviews for it.

Purple's polymer gives it a distinctiveness that is generally lacking in the bed-in-a-box category; it's hard to directly compare against anything else you'll likely encounter.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Hey thread,

Perhaps my question is more appropriate for the back pain thread, but I cannot find it. I used to have back pain at night whenever I slept on my back. I have adjusted my home/office chairs (in addition to frequently changing sitting positions), tried a different home chair, made an effort to sit much less, without a noticeable change in my symptoms. The pain is fairly mild and disappears within 5 minutes of getting out of bed. Even while in bad, I only feel the pain when I inhale deeply.

I then made an effort of sleeping on my side. And while the back pain disappeared, I ended up with shoulder/neck pain. The neck pain lingers for much longer than the previous back pain, and it is frequently accompanied by mild vertigo.

I feel like this could be caused by a poor combination of mattress (Leesa, 4 years old now) and pillow (MALOUF Latex Zoned Pillow Low Loft, Firm).

Has anybody ever had similar symptoms? If so, how did you resolve it?

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

theHUNGERian posted:

Hey thread,

Perhaps my question is more appropriate for the back pain thread, but I cannot find it. I used to have back pain at night whenever I slept on my back. I have adjusted my home/office chairs (in addition to frequently changing sitting positions), tried a different home chair, made an effort to sit much less, without a noticeable change in my symptoms. The pain is fairly mild and disappears within 5 minutes of getting out of bed. Even while in bad, I only feel the pain when I inhale deeply.

I then made an effort of sleeping on my side. And while the back pain disappeared, I ended up with shoulder/neck pain. The neck pain lingers for much longer than the previous back pain, and it is frequently accompanied by mild vertigo.

I feel like this could be caused by a poor combination of mattress (Leesa, 4 years old now) and pillow (MALOUF Latex Zoned Pillow Low Loft, Firm).

I don't have those issues, but here's my ~hot take~ from selling beds for a few years now:

Sounds to me like you have a couple of things going on.

Based purely on your description, it sounds like your lower back woes were primarily muscular in nature possibly caused by inadequate support. Your decision to change sleeping positions, and its subsequent success at resolving your back pain lends evidence to that assertion. The only thing that gives me pause is that you feel it during a deep breath; is it in the middle of your back, then?

With regards to your neck issues, I'd heartily suggest you see a doctor. Any pain accompanied with a bad non-pain problem suggests something more significant than a mattress/pillow will solve. Vertigo is generally caused by one of three things: blood pressure sensitivity (e.g., common with folks who have diabetes who move too quickly in a particular way), ear problems (duh), or nerve issues. Now, I can't attest to how well your pillow fits your sleeping style and body, but Malouf makes quality products, so it isn't that you're using a poo poo pillow.

The symptoms you describe line up with some of the things I've experienced helping folks who have been in car crashes, or have suffered some sort of back injury, for what it's worth.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

theHUNGERian posted:

Hey thread,

You need to see a doc about the back pain and potential vertigo first so you know exactly what is going on.

I am a side sleeper myself and have had back injuries, moderate L5-S1 disk degeneration and also 51 years old. I always preferred stiffer beds in the past (or at least thought I did), etc but actually am finding more comfort in the more "sink in" hybrid type mattresses with normal micro springs for support as well as memory foam at the top that conform to your shape. Synastren keeps recommending those for a reason, since they are great and fit a lot a people.

I'd also find a more supportive memory foam type pillow like the COOP or Wondersleep on Amzn for neck support, that's what I use now.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

theHUNGERian posted:

Hey thread,

Side sleeper here, not a doctor, not a pain sufferer, but pillow-wise, I bought a buckwheat husk pillow (beans72), and I find it hella comfortable. It weighs about eight pounds, and is the consistency of a very, very firm beanbag. Definitely not for everyone, but I have trouble sleeping without it, now.

I was the type who previously would have like three pillows to try to get the elevation I was looking for, and this totally resolves that.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Thanks thread. I'll bring it up with a Doc during my next visit before doing anything. At the moment, things are improving, and do not impact me in a meaningful way, so i will stay the course.

Synastren posted:

...is it in the middle of your back, then?

Yes. It's hard to identify precisely because I am super sleepy when it happens, so I just shift to a new position and immediately fall asleep.

Synastren posted:

With regards to your neck issues, I'd heartily suggest you see a doctor. Any pain accompanied with a bad non-pain problem suggests something more significant than a mattress/pillow will solve. Vertigo is generally caused by one of three things: blood pressure sensitivity (e.g., common with folks who have diabetes who move too quickly in a particular way), ear problems (duh), or nerve issues. Now, I can't attest to how well your pillow fits your sleeping style and body, but Malouf makes quality products, so it isn't that you're using a poo poo pillow.

The vertigo is a recent thing, and it is entirely possible that it is caused by messing up my neck while doing a stretch the wrong way*. It has gotten much better over time (I stopped doing the stretch), but constant side sleeping definitely made it worse, so I stopped. Switching between back and side sleeping (fall asleep in one position, switch position whenever I wake up) does not cause any issues at the moment.

I used to have issues with a drop in blood pressure when making sudden moves (suddenly getting out of bed, immediately stopping a cardio exercise), but those issues have been resolved ever since I lost weight, started exercising religiously, and eating better, after I discussed it with my doc. M, 35, 160 lbs., I swim 5x a week, 2200 yards per swim (40 min).

*I was trying to do a stretch where I head tilt my head as much sideways as I can (as if I am trying to get my ear to touch my shoulder), but I messed it up and actively applied pressure with my hand to push my head such that my ear would actually touch my shoulder. After a few days of doing this, the neck pain with vertigo set in, so I stopped doing the stretch.

Synastren posted:

The symptoms you describe line up with some of the things I've experienced helping folks who have been in car crashes, or have suffered some sort of back injury, for what it's worth.

Definitely no car rashes. Maybe I occasionally sit like poo poo, but I rarely sit for more than 30 minutes as I either get up to drink something, go to the bathroom, or go to the lab (where I am on constantly my feet). I also noticed something that I can only describe as "nervous tension", but once I become aware of the tension, I can turn the muscles off. This too has gotten much better as I have aged.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Here's something new and exciting I learned about beds in a box. Apparently tons of them are lined with fiberglass inside of the cover. So, if the cover ever gets punctured or comes off, fiberglass gets sprayed everywhere. People have had to throw out all their possessions or even literally being forced to move out of their homes.

This guy asked a bunch of the biggest manufacturers if they use fiberglass and silica. Guess I'm not buying another Zinus, which sucks because I need a cheap mattress right now. I like my Tuft and Needle, but I need a queen size now, and to be honest it's not as comfortable as I had hoped as a side sleeper.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Here's something new and exciting I learned about beds in a box. Apparently tons of them are lined with fiberglass inside of the cover. So, if the cover ever gets punctured or comes off, fiberglass gets sprayed everywhere. People have had to throw out all their possessions or even literally being forced to move out of their homes.

This guy asked a bunch of the biggest manufacturers if they use fiberglass and silica. Guess I'm not buying another Zinus, which sucks because I need a cheap mattress right now. I like my Tuft and Needle, but I need a queen size now, and to be honest it's not as comfortable as I had hoped as a side sleeper.

I watched that video. I don't understand why it's not a bigger deal that the lady in question had her kids lay and play directly on fiberglass for a week.

I'll do some digging, but fiberglass in bedding is never designed for direct contact, and is among the least possibly harmful flame retardant solutions utilized in mattresses. And it's pretty much the standard in FR compliance, so finding a relatively inexpensive but decent quality mattress that doesn't use it would be difficult.

Also, your research link is the most concentrated affiliate link site I think I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

There's some pretty serious cognitive dissonance going on in your post between "why would that lady let her kids lay on fiberglass in their mattress, which they should totally have known about!" and also "fiberglass in mattresses is among the least possibly harmful solutions".