Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Zigmidge posted:

That's gonna be a you problem. The map is as big or bigger than Los Santos and is trying to not only cram like 5 different states into one but also simulate being surrounded by vast expanses of nothing and frankly, accomplishes both very well. I cannot for a second harsh on rockstar's map artists because nobody else is doing what they do.

Nah it's not just them. Once you can mentally convince yourself of the abstraction it kinda makes sense, but the fact that you can see Saint Denis from the mountains pretty well breaks the illusion that you are actually multiple states away. They did try and cram a ton in, and as a result you have sudden and arbitrary shifts in environment and you never do have a feeling of wide open spaces when literally you can see the mountains and dense forests at almost any time. It's a cool little world but it does not simulate the feeling of the expanse of the plains states at all.

The game also ignores the supposed distances constantly, only to every now and then have Arthur say "that's 2 states away" or something at some point to remind you of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

The smoking thing is super bad. Smoking takes time, especially cigars. I like how you smoke in MGSV, Snake can stand there sucking on his fancy e-cig thing for endless hours while the world fast forwards around him.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Well I seem to have encountered a game-breaking bug that leaves me unable to progress any further in the game. More specifically, the Angelo Bronte, a Man of Honor quest in Saint Denis. I've tried multiple times now but as soon as I get to the graveyard the game starts glitching and bugging out. Music randomly cuts out at different points, scripted events randomly don't happen, animations bug out, I can't pause or access any menus or anything. I can still walk around but absolutely nothing happens until I Alt + F4 out. Anyone else experiencing this?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Nah it's not just them. Once you can mentally convince yourself of the abstraction it kinda makes sense, but the fact that you can see Saint Denis from the mountains pretty well breaks the illusion that you are actually multiple states away. They did try and cram a ton in, and as a result you have sudden and arbitrary shifts in environment and you never do have a feeling of wide open spaces when literally you can see the mountains and dense forests at almost any time. It's a cool little world but it does not simulate the feeling of the expanse of the plains states at all.

The game also ignores the supposed distances constantly, only to every now and then have Arthur say "that's 2 states away" or something at some point to remind you of it.

The hell that would be traversing the Midwest on a horse. I strongly commend rockstar for taking the route they did.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

Is there a safe way to store my perfect pelts while questing? Do I give them to Pearson for crafting? How about for the Trapper? I only have the option to sell and I don't want to ride around with my pelts on my horse for hours.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

you said what they did in even more words

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Noirex posted:

Is there a safe way to store my perfect pelts while questing? Do I give them to Pearson for crafting? How about for the Trapper? I only have the option to sell and I don't want to ride around with my pelts on my horse for hours.

Perfects aren't all that rare. They often wont survive transitioning through a mission though. Dont sweat if you lose one, another isn't far away.

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
If the map was as big as you guys wanted everyone would be bitching about how even more tedious and slow the game would be

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
It feels rather like Skyrim/Fallout(3/4/NV) to me, where you start out cautious in this huge world where you can be killed by drat near anything, and end up (when not fast-travelling) just casually rolling through everything on your commute. "Yeah, don't take the 405, there's always Cazador swarms at Schlaussen." Vastly more varied random encounters, though.

There's a shitload of annoying traffic that startles critters, but if you just wander into a roadless area, then you can generally get some extinction done. Also helps if you memorize what kills clean, and get right snappy swapping binocs (target ID) and weapons (187 MDK). Baiting might be a good idea, but I've only ever done it on my glitched Hosea's Big Hunt mission.

As for Perfects, just unload them on the Trapper or Pearson, depending on how far you are and/or who makes the pretties you want *now*. Entire Perfect carcasses, you want to make a run before those go bad/you get ganked, but skins don't rot.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Man either they increased the panther spawn rate or maybe the pc being able to handle more stuff at once helps... I seem to spawn one about every two round trips between Catfish Jackson's and the abandoned church now, compared to maybe one in 24 game hours if I was lucky. Also they seem to appear more in the daylight now because the first one surprised the poo poo out of me in the mid-afternoon.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Professorjuggalo posted:

If the map was as big as you guys wanted everyone would be bitching about how even more tedious and slow the game would be

I don't want it that big, I'm happy with how it is, for that reason. However it does not also follow that the posters nitpicking complaint is wrong or a "you problem," it's a product of the compromises between gameplay and realism you have to make.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

I'm not that great at hunting yet so perfects still take me a while for me to collect :( Guess I'm asking if I donate them, will the pelts still be there later at Pearson/Trapper if I don't have the rest of ingredients needed to complete the item?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Chuds McGreedy posted:

Friendly reminder that if you've not yet reached level 70 with the Outlaw Pass in RDO, it ends in one week from today Nov. 18th.

Glad I read that somewhere because I've taken a break from RDO, so if you're like me, get back on that trail mister!

What's the deal with this? Is there any chance of them doing this same content again so PC players can get it?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

What's the deal with this? Is there any chance of them doing this same content again so PC players can get it?

You get it through the games god drat catalogue. I had no idea.

6 days to power through all of the levels...6 days..

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Noirex posted:

I'm not that great at hunting yet so perfects still take me a while for me to collect :( Guess I'm asking if I donate them, will the pelts still be there later at Pearson/Trapper if I don't have the rest of ingredients needed to complete the item?

Yes, they are banked with whoever you donate them (so if you give them to the trapper, they're not available to Pearson). Also they trapper inventory is the same across all his locations so he'll always have whatever you've given him wherever you see him.

Really I recommend knocking out the satchels with Pearson because the only annoying one of those to get is the panther (you might even get a cougar on accident hunting the other stuff) and then dumping nearly everything on the trapper unless you super want to just add some skulls or rugs to the camp.

The legend of the east satchel (which you can craft after the other satchels) is worth getting done early because it gives you a poo poo-ton of space which will make it easier to craft and loot through the rest of the game.

I just finished up the satchels and am about to go out pelt gathering for the camp upgrades here at the end of Ch 2 because I want to have a fully upgraded camp throughout the story but that's just because I'm an insane person.

Dogen fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Nov 12, 2019

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Glenn Quebec posted:

You get it through the games god drat catalogue. I had no idea.

6 days to power through all of the levels...6 days..

The XP on leveling up is very generous, you can do that easy.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Oh good. I was like fuuuck

Noirex
May 30, 2006

Dogen posted:

Yes, they are banked with whoever you donate them (so if you give them to the trapper, they're not available to Pearson). Also they trapper inventory is the same across all his locations so he'll always have whatever you've given him wherever you see him.

Really I recommend knocking out the satchels with Pearson because the only annoying one of those to get is the panther (you might even get a cougar on accident hunting the other stuff) and then dumping nearly everything on the trapper unless you super want to just add some skulls or rugs to the camp.

The legend of the east satchel (which you can craft after the other satchels) is worth getting done early because it gives you a poo poo-ton of space which will make it easier to craft and loot through the rest of the game.

I just finished up the satchels and am about to go out pelt gathering for the camp upgrades here at the end of Ch 2 because I want to have a fully upgraded camp throughout the story but that's just because I'm an insane person.

Awesome, exactly the info I needed thanks. I'm also in Ch 2 now which I heard is a good time to slow down and enjoy so guess I'll start working on the satchels.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The advice I’ll always give to new players is, don’t feel obliged to work on the satchel/camp upgrades if it doesn’t sound like fun to do so. Collecting the required pelts can be pretty time consuming, and at no point is any satchel upgrade required to finish or enjoy the game (I know because I beat it without upgrading anything) so don’t feel like you’re compelled to do it like it’s an Ubisoft game.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Once you've gotten Pearson everything he needs (even if you still have to buy the leatherworking tools), I'm assuming "extra" pelts/etc. will just be converted into CampBux. Overage at the Trapper will probably just convert to cash.

Pimping the camp up (wagon upgrades) will make supplies available on-site, and refilling is relatively cheap. Doing the camp-crafting stuff, I dunno, make happy cutthroat murderers? Upgrading Dutch's tent supposedly makes other folk contribute to the tithing box, don't know about the other Ledger items yet.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

Ainsley McTree posted:

The advice I’ll always give to new players is, don’t feel obliged to work on the satchel/camp upgrades if it doesn’t sound like fun to do so. Collecting the required pelts can be pretty time consuming, and at no point is any satchel upgrade required to finish or enjoy the game (I know because I beat it without upgrading anything) so don’t feel like you’re compelled to do it like it’s an Ubisoft game.

I hear you, it's reassuring that you don't really need to upgrade anything since hunting can be frustrating when it's just not my lucky day. My only concern is I heard the story kind of railroads you in later chapters so I'm trying to take it slow and do as much as possible with the crafting for now.

Ygolonac posted:

Once you've gotten Pearson everything he needs (even if you still have to buy the leatherworking tools), I'm assuming "extra" pelts/etc. will just be converted into CampBux. Overage at the Trapper will probably just convert to cash.

Pimping the camp up (wagon upgrades) will make supplies available on-site, and refilling is relatively cheap. Doing the camp-crafting stuff, I dunno, make happy cutthroat murderers? Upgrading Dutch's tent supposedly makes other folk contribute to the tithing box, don't know about the other Ledger items yet.

More good tips, thanks!

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Probably the most annoying parts of the satchels are getting so many deerskins, and the panther, which seemed easier to me this time due to it spawning more frequently. I mean yeah you can play the game without doing it but the final reward increases your capacity for all items by like, 5x. It just lets you hoard crap so you don't have to worry about tonic etc. supplies or running out of space for the pocketwatches of your victims.

Ygolonac posted:

You get money whenever you donate, and also the material is available for crafting. If you don't need it any more, you just get the same amount of money.

The money upgrades at the camp do some various useful things- put our more supplies for you, make the stew better, unlock fast travel, encourage others to contribute more (it's still sad compared to what Arthur can contribute).

The pelt-related upgrades that aren't for the satchel are purely for the edification of the player.

Noirex posted:

I hear you, it's reassuring that you don't really need to upgrade anything since hunting can be frustrating when it's just not my lucky day. My only concern is I heard the story kind of railroads you in later chapters so I'm trying to take it slow and do as much as possible with the crafting for now.

Don't worry about that, you can circle back and do almost all the crafting, and what you can't do is not important at all.

Also, my hunting tips are- get the trinket from the legendary buck (it helps keep a pelt 3 stars if you gently caress up in killing the animal), buy the springfield rifle as early as you can for the dangerous stuff like wolves etc., and you can kill most of the deer/boar type of animals with by lassoing them on horseback, holding the lasso while you hop off, approaching the animal and then stabbing it with F. It's kind of lazy compared to proper stalking, but when you have to collect however the gently caress many deer pelts it helps speed things along.

Dogen fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Nov 13, 2019

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Turns out Outlaw Pass isn't even on PC. Oh well.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Turns out Outlaw Pass isn't even on PC. Oh well.

Lmao

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Tbf it ends in a week

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

nobody likes a rotten pumbo
don't flip out about the outlaw pass. at the end of the day the only original stuff you get from it is a few outfits, and this game is not lacking for outfits. the rest of the bonuses were periodic ammo/crafting drops meant to be consumed over the normal course of play. also you can bet that certain "exclusive" items may eventually come around again for purchase, because the assets are already there and something something "consumer spending potential"

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Dogen posted:

Probably the most annoying parts of the satchels are getting so many deerskins, and the panther, which seemed easier to me this time due to it spawning more frequently. I mean yeah you can play the game without doing it but the final reward increases your capacity for all items by like, 5x. It just lets you hoard crap so you don't have to worry about tonic etc. supplies or running out of space for the pocketwatches of your victims.

Yeah, but to be honest I never really found myself ever needing more than 3 of each kind of tonic at a time; you seem to pick up so many just from looting that you never reach the bottom of even the most basic satchel. And being able to hold more loot is nice but ultimately getting that satchel is, IMO at least, way more of a pain than remembering to stop at a fence to sell loot or hit up a shop to top off supplies when you’re in the neighborhood. And frankly, even if you do cap, the story missions have you rolling in money early enough that it doesn’t matter.

Ultimately, everyone should do what they want because it’s a video game and who cares. I’m just saying that if anyone is reaching a point where they’re like “I really hate searching for this perfect cougar but I need that satchel!” they should know that they really aren’t going to need that satchel, it isn’t important enough to grind out an unfun activity, you aren’t meaningfully hurting yourself if you skip it

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Plus if you don't spend a lot of time hunting you can better avoid the GODDAMNED WOLVES running fuckamok all over the friggin wilderness

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I’m also a weirdo and a hypocrite because as much as I advise against people grinding out satchels, I have spent I don’t want to tell you how many hours hunting pelts for the trader role in rdo, where the most meaningful reward is the ability to sell more pelts, so

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Squirrel Burger posted:

don't flip out about the outlaw pass. at the end of the day the only original stuff you get from it is a few outfits, and this game is not lacking for outfits. the rest of the bonuses were periodic ammo/crafting drops meant to be consumed over the normal course of play. also you can bet that certain "exclusive" items may eventually come around again for purchase, because the assets are already there and something something "consumer spending potential"

I just want my Nosalida jacket back :(

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
It's just so drat pretty and I'm having a blast.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Ainsley McTree posted:

Ultimately, everyone should do what they want because it’s a video game and who cares. I’m just saying that if anyone is reaching a point where they’re like “I really hate searching for this perfect cougar but I need that satchel!” they should know that they really aren’t going to need that satchel, it isn’t important enough to grind out an unfun activity, you aren’t meaningfully hurting yourself if you skip it

I mean yeah if you don’t like hunting. I think if there was a graph of the time I spent on my first playthrough it’d be 90% me hanging out in the Pacific Northwest land hunting and making clothes and camping out because for some reason I just really enjoy it, but there’s a million things to do in this game. And yeah the satchels aren’t a necessity they just make me feel less wasteful when I’m hunting because meat is the one limit I’m always bumping up against.

Dogen fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Nov 13, 2019

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
I have an i7-7700 and an RTX 2070 and get pretty bad stuttering when first entering a town or area with lots of NPCs. I don't think it's an issue with the game engine (I could be wrong) but probably the CPU. Are there any settings I could try to turn down to help? Its not a GPU problem I'm sure.

Scherloch
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah!
Man, I'm in love with Online. Just hunting, collecting, doing a few bounties. Riding into to town to play dress-up every once in a while. On one of these trips into town, a two-man posse had besieged it, taking all comers. I was in defensive mode and perfectly happy to just let them do their thing, as long as they let me do mine. They didn't. I think I lassoed, hogtied and executed them three or four times each, and they kept coming at me. They kept trying to lasso or melee me, wanting to humiliate me in the same way I humiliated them I guess, not realising that they couldn't do either of those to a player in defensive mode. Eventually, they got wise and started shooting at me instead, so I ran into a shop. Spent the next few minutes popping out to blast one of them with the shotgun barrel on the LeMat as they ran by. Eventually they managed to kill me, but at that point it had gotten a bit stale, so I robbed them of ever getting proper revenge by horsing up and riding off.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Ygolonac posted:

this is true! it really does railroad you and its kinda a heavy bummer. keep a save file somewhere in Ch 2 because its all fun and games then and is nice to come back to (without having to win the drat game)

Or join the online fun!

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
It’s amazing how playing with at least one other person makes online so much more fun. Jackassing around doing trader runs and bounty hunting is stupid fun.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Nash posted:

It’s amazing how playing with at least one other person makes online so much more fun. Jackassing around doing trader runs and bounty hunting is stupid fun.

I played almost entirely solo on console, excluding story missions. Here on PC I've been playing with a lot of people, and it has absolutely been so much more fun grinding out the ranks again. I like being able to guide people too, and I apologize to the goons who may be annoyed by it. I'm having a great time playing with you all. :cheers: Online is so much better with others.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Do we have a PC discord?

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

TescoBag posted:

Do we have a PC discord?

We do! https://discordapp.com/invite/HBgmBeJ

Adbot