Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Mierenneuker posted:

Haha, great. I’ve been watching a streamer play Death Stranding and it has been very enjoyable, weirdly enough (it can get repetitive). At one point he was talking to a NPC called The Engineer and someone in chat remarked “Junji Ito!”. I have no idea how you would know what someone who draws weird manga would look like, but Google confirmed it indeed was him.

I did recognize he was voiced by Yuri Lowenthal, so I guess I was the real weirdo there.

loving hell, I knew he looked familiar. Shame they didn't use his voice, but I guess he can't speak a lick of English? Do the recognizable western actors (Conan O'Brien, or Geoff Keighly) use their own voice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Mierenneuker posted:

Haha, great. I’ve been watching a streamer play Death Stranding and it has been very enjoyable, weirdly enough (it can get repetitive). At one point he was talking to a NPC called The Engineer and someone in chat remarked “Junji Ito!”. I have no idea how you would know what someone who draws weird manga would look like, but Google confirmed it indeed was him.

Junji Ito also wrote horror stories about himself living with his cat

so i guess it's not too out there to know what he looks like

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Morpheus posted:

loving hell, I knew he looked familiar. Shame they didn't use his voice, but I guess he can't speak a lick of English? Do the recognizable western actors (Conan O'Brien, or Geoff Keighly) use their own voice?

Some do and some don’t. Guillermo Del Toro does not do his own voice, Conan does, old Lindsay Wagner does, young Lindsay Wagner does not. It’s all over the place.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

HenryEx posted:

Junji Ito also wrote horror stories about himself living with his cat

so i guess it's not too out there to know what he looks like

He was recently in a promo video for Adult Swim's adaptation of Uzumaki, he just looks very...plain? Almost exceedingly so, the kind of person you wouldn't ever notice in the middle of a crowd, I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQwVaPMRya0

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Samuringa posted:

He was recently in a promo video for Adult Swim's adaptation of Uzumaki, he just looks very...plain? Almost exceedingly so, the kind of person you wouldn't ever notice in the middle of a crowd, I think.

horror writers tend to either look very unassuming or like horrible swamp people and seldom fall anywhere in between

stephen king's got a head like a vandalized moai sculpture

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Just Offscreen posted:

Death Stranding good.

Although the baby noises are so realistic they can border on distracting. Doubly so when upset. The sound design is so good it definitely hits that crocodile caregiver part of your brain- especially if you have kids yourself.

Would it be possible to get the baby to cry indefinitely and play it really loud and then leave your apartment so your neighbors think you’re a negligent parent?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

codenameFANGIO posted:

Some do and some don’t. Guillermo Del Toro does not do his own voice, Conan does, old Lindsay Wagner does, young Lindsay Wagner does not. It’s all over the place.

tbf it's probably a tough ask to get in touch with young Lindsay Wagner.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
This is the last thing I'm going to say about Legend of Jack Sparrow, as I only thought about it last night. The final boss is actually pretty perfect thematically speaking. Jack is a pirate and the entire story involves him being screwed over by and/or screwing over his compatriots. The final boss are three brothers who come to each other's rescue when they feel they are needed. What better foil for a group of pirates, than a group of men who are completely loyal to one another and who have each other's backs? They are the complete opposite of the other characters.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

PremiumSupport posted:

It's such a great understated line, and more than that, it's your clan coming of age and claiming the right to be considered a military clan.

At the beginning of the game it's heavily implied (if not outright stated) that because you're a mining clan you and your ships have no place in the line of battle and should leave such things to the more powerful clans. In fact, if I remember right, (been years since I've played it) the very first mission you literally get kicked out of a sector you've been fighting to defend because a military clan carrier shows up.

The opening mission of HW:Cataclysm is so brilliant precisely because it's a level from Homeworld 1, but you're the resource gathering guys stuffed in a corner of the map while a huge battle rages around you.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Loxbourne posted:

The opening mission of HW:Cataclysm is so brilliant precisely because it's a level from Homeworld 1, but you're the resource gathering guys stuffed in a corner of the map while a huge battle rages around you.

This reminds me of my favorite thing in Deserts of Kharak. The game's ending track is Homeworld's first mission's track.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Loxbourne posted:

Holy poo poo, I never thought about that but you’re 100 percent correct.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

horror writers tend to either look very unassuming or like horrible swamp people and seldom fall anywhere in between

stephen king's got a head like a vandalized moai sculpture

This is still my favorite picture of Stephen King.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

Samuringa posted:

Didn't know this was happening, I am so excited.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Samuringa posted:

I don't think there was a single moment where Sebastian's thoughts weren't in sync with mine during The Evil Within 2, both when scared shitless or annoyed by all the bullshit.

The best part of that game is the scene you get if you backtrack to that one guy and then they’re like ‘there’s evil outside’ and seb goes ‘yes but there’s evil... within too’ and they both turn and stare at the camera

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Might as well link it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhHK3VCAUy4

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
The Evil Within games are fantastic. The second game does such a good job of being an open world, but guiding you where you need to go.

And that Anima, the spooky singingghost lady, was some of the creepiest poo poo to me.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Someone at Square-Enix was having way too much fun writing item descriptions for FF14's new patch.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Soysaucebeast posted:

This is still my favorite picture of Stephen King.

Here's a (crappy quality) uncut one from the original print joke ad, that worked in the 60s but oh my god would not fly in a current college paper.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I'm struggling with how to spin this as a good thing, but between Rico's absolutely insane damage tolerance and my inability to grasp wingsuit mechanics, Just Cause 4 is giving me some of the most laughs I've had in a while. Just this uber-commando comedically smashing at high speed into any possible tree/rock/cliff face, ragdolling away, then shaking it off after a second, any time I try to get fancy and use the wingsuit even several hours into the game.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'm struggling with how to spin this as a good thing, but between Rico's absolutely insane damage tolerance and my inability to grasp wingsuit mechanics, Just Cause 4 is giving me some of the most laughs I've had in a while. Just this uber-commando comedically smashing at high speed into any possible tree/rock/cliff face, ragdolling away, then shaking it off after a second, any time I try to get fancy and use the wingsuit even several hours into the game.

I have had more fun with games that try to do something and fail in dumb ways than I have playing big budget AAA games that are able to do drat near everything on purpose.

Source: Beat Mars: War Logs AND The Technomancer and loved the hell out of them.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Holy poo poo, if you get eaten by a BT you'll go all nuclear and void out making a gently caress huge crater. Some BT caught me unprepared and are me. poo poo looks crazy and looks like it's permanently on the terrain and map.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

I went to check on BB after finally getting some rest and this happened

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDbal31cllo

I though BB was angry at my for turning an area of the map into a crater.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
A couple of things about Spyro the Dragon Reignited - I like that the enemies that you've killed up to the dragon checkpoints stay killed, I can't remember if they respawned if you died in the original. Also I like that Sparx has little animations for how low on health he was, or at least they are more elaborate/noticeable.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I watched the bit on Conan O'Brian where he went to Kojima's studio and got hooked up to the motion capture, but I didn't realize they were actually putting it in the game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Little thing in Death Stranding - Pretty much everyone Sam meets in person tries to shake his hand or otherwise touch him, but Sam has a phobia of being touched so he always shrugs away or shakes them off. Two little bits of character building that result from this that I really liked once I noticed:

- Sam is alright with being touched by his sister, Amelie, he doesn't shrug her off

- Hilariously named advisor-to-the-president Die Hardman doesn't even try to touch Sam as they already know each other from times long past and have worked together before, so he knows better already

It seems pretty clear to me that the latter was put in intentionally, there's a scene early on where Die Hardman is standing close and nearly puts his hand on Sam's shoulder, but instead he just visibly hovers there. Just really cool how an aspect of Sam's character also informs us on aspects of others occasionally.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

I was phoneposting while drifting to sleep or I would have, so thanks for the alley-oop shot followup :shobon:

God I wish I could play DS right now, I've gone from not really being interested pre-release to being hilarious interested post-release because of how wild a walking sim it is.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Mierenneuker posted:

Haha, great. I’ve been watching a streamer play Death Stranding and it has been very enjoyable

Who have you been watching?

I tried watching some youtubers play the game and they were just loving trash.

Obnoxious trash.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I tried watching some youtubers play the game and they were just loving trash.

Obnoxious trash.

Found your problem. People who play games on youtube, especially for cash, are bad. Bad bad bad.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

CohhCarnage or DansGaming, on Twitch.

Both older dudes who have more tolerance for a slower, repetitive game and aren’t rushing through it (maybe they already finished it, I’m watching VODs). Cohh has the better personality, but Dan is not using a cam or an overlay. So that’s better if you just want something to watch while listening to music.

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 18:06 on Nov 13, 2019

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Every time I see someone talk about DS while I'm not playing DS, I want to play DS. I don't know what it is about that game, but the idea of just serenely delivering packages over a blasted terrain makes me real happy. That and just bringing piles of supplies to build up these winding roads all over the place, meeting new preppers and getting those pretty new stars on my suit.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Obligatory "watch my streams, I actually give a drat about the game and give it the breathing room it deserves" self promo post: I've really been enjoying it and it's been a great experience, I'm glad I approached it with an open mind. Gotta shoot my shot wherever I can lol :shobon:

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

CJacobs posted:

Pls no touch of the Sam

The shower scene with Deadman was probably peak Kojima comedy.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

The shower scene with Deadman was probably peak Kojima comedy.

As in the best or just the most Kojima?

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I'm waaaay late to the game on this, but I'm playing through Batman: Arkham Knight right now. I know the NPC chatter has always been A Thing in this series, but 2 things in particular struck me as being hilarious and totally something that would happen.

One was overhearing a bad guy call out "Hey, we did it! #CityofFear is trending! Post your photos guys!"

The other was when I was visiting the police station. I walked out the door to see a cop posing beside the Batmobile while another one was taking a photo. "Hurry and take it before he comes back!" Then as they notice me walking over, "sorry, we didn't touch it or anything!"

I could absolutely see the cops doing that if Batman was a real thing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

TontoCorazon posted:

Holy poo poo, if you get eaten by a BT you'll go all nuclear and void out making a gently caress huge crater. Some BT caught me unprepared and are me. poo poo looks crazy and looks like it's permanently on the terrain and map.

On this week's Bombcast Brad mentions that he got taken out over the by incinerator in the first map and that the crater actually took a chunk out of the building.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

On this week's Bombcast Brad mentions that he got taken out over the by incinerator in the first map and that the crater actually took a chunk out of the building.

That's awesome, I thought it would just be the terrain.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TontoCorazon posted:

I'm curious as to if it's possible to voidout a prepper shelter or distribution center.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm curious as to if it's possible to voidout a prepper shelter or distribution center.

I imagine BTs never spawn that close to one of those locations. If you get grabbed by BTs you also tend to get propelled by the ooze for a bit. Maybe that is the game just nudging/shoving you to a place that is not critical to the plot.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mierenneuker posted:

I imagine BTs never spawn that close to one of those locations. If you get grabbed by BTs you also tend to get propelled by the ooze for a bit. Maybe that is the game just nudging/shoving you to a place that is not critical to the plot.

Yeah, I figured that was the reason for the set BT zones and why they yoink you.

I'm actually wondering if (Chapter 3) just forcing a voidout in that BT-riddled zone between the Junk Dealer and Chiral Artist might make travelling between them much less of a headache.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
I wanted to know if you could just stand around for 48 hours in the beginning corpse transport and suicide bomb Capital. That seems like a very Kojima thing to do