Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

site posted:

he sends nude versions of his art to editors as bribes

"Yes, his "portfolio" is just a bunch of sticky Playboys with Sue Storm's face pasted on all the models, but he mailed it in on time!"

Edit: Aww, gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Jedit posted:

You mean "the source material".

I'd call out scary ghost dog for his Tradd Moore comments, but I've just seen him defending wife-beating in another thread so I know he's trolling.

u........dont like tradd moore?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Jedit posted:

You mean "the source material".

I'd call out scary ghost dog for his Tradd Moore comments, but I've just seen him defending wife-beating in another thread so I know he's trolling.

Surely even if Tradd Moore isn't your personal cup of tea you can recognize that he's producing extremely dynamic art that other people might admire a lot?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Archyduchess posted:

Surely even if Tradd Moore isn't your personal cup of tea you can recognize that he's producing extremely dynamic art that other people might admire a lot?

He draws a good vehicle and he conveys action well, but his anatomy is among the worst I've ever seen.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

*sees a picture of mickey mouse* hate the anatomy on this. Where is his neck?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
lol

discuss

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Owns, owns and owns, whats there to discuss

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
Exaggerating anatomy and perspective for the purposes of a dynamic and interestingly composed panel is extremely good and cool and the fact that Silver Surfer cover has like a dozen characters in all sorts of foreshortened angles and orientations that still look coherent and good makes him better than basically any other artist I've seen working in superhero comics.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Catfishenfuego posted:

Exaggerating anatomy and perspective for the purposes of a dynamic and interestingly composed panel is extremely good and cool and the fact that Silver Surfer cover has like a dozen characters in all sorts of foreshortened angles and orientations that still look coherent and good makes him better than basically any other artist I've seen working in superhero comics.

I want to see a Greg Land version of that Silver Surfer page.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

prefect posted:

I want to see a Greg Land version of that Silver Surfer page.

He'd probably just trace that one.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

This just in, Tradd Moore is good

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Hey you know who isn't good

greg horn

he isn't good

still very bad

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

is that his real name or just a pseudonym

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Android Blues posted:

*sees a picture of mickey mouse* hate the anatomy on this. Where is his neck?

HEH mice can't even walk on two legs! This is trash!

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Jedit posted:

He draws a good vehicle and he conveys action well, but his anatomy is among the worst I've ever seen.

Do..... you think he draws anatomy the way he does due to lack of talent, friend??

like, by accident???

friend????

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I was in the boat of not liking him with the Silver Surfer panel but then the post of his other stuff came and his art seems way better in motion.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Flesh Forge posted:

lol

discuss

Every single one of those is loving awesome. Not much more to discuss.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I like Trad Moore, but he is a villain and a cad for making me look at Silver Surfer's gooch.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
That Sulver Surfer and Black Panther look like Baki characters and it owns

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
You guys do know its possible for someone to not like something you like...right? Like, people may have an opinion that you don't agree with, but that doesn't make them wrong about something that is subjective.

Because I don't think you do.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

enigmahfc posted:

You guys do know its possible for someone to not like something you like...right? Like, people may have an opinion that you don't agree with, but that doesn't make them wrong about something that is subjective.

I think Greg Land sucks, and I don't care who disagrees. :colbert:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
all of that trad moore art owns but my really bad take is i actually like that gamora pic

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

site posted:

all of that trad moore art owns but my really bad take is i actually like that gamora pic

Hah I thought the same thing.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

site posted:

which part of iit do you like, the photograph of a woman's face and hands or the barely rendered rest of her body or the wildly mismatched style and lighting on the thanos head

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I like that he signed it like 3 times.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Flesh Forge posted:

which part of iit do you like, the photograph of a woman's face and hands or the barely rendered rest of her body or the wildly mismatched style and lighting on the thanos head

the gamora part

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
She appears to have some giraffe-neck issues.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Yeah, breaking anatomical rules requires you to know how to draw correctly in the first place and that stuff up thread is obviously down to a stylistic choice. A lot of people seem to think if it doesn't look like John Buscema or George Perez that you can't draw a human body. People used to criticize Miller's stuff on DD and Sienkiewicz (or Kirby) for similar rule breaking but, to me anyway, it's obvious when someone is cheating because they can't draw (Liefeld) and someone breaking and exaggerating rules they already know and are just bored with.

The "house style" can grow tiresome and most artists get tired of drawing poo poo the same way over and over.

You can look at Klimt, Picasso...any number of artists who simply wanted to draw or paint something they've never seen before which, trust me, is usually the motivation. Warhol. They could draw and paint something that looked "real". When I was art school, most freshmen were dazzled by students who could make poo poo "look realistic" like a Rembrandt or, even better, like a photograph, including myself, but once you learn the techniques and basic patience involved in doing that, many get bored with the entire approach.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

site posted:

the gamora part

you have good taste in stock photos

when greg horn doesn't just minimally adjust a photo and actually draws you get this :kiss:

goatface posted:

She appears to have some giraffe-neck issues.

there is so much going on there tbh I didn't even notice but yeah that too

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Nov 12, 2019

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

~ anatomy ~

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Flesh Forge posted:

you have good taste in stock photos

Yeah ngl liking gamora cosplay is not the own you think it is here, loud and proud

site fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Nov 13, 2019

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I didn't say anything like that :confused:

e: for those not familiar with Greg Horn's process, he literally takes stock photos and does minimal adjustments to the faces, for example

this isn't a commentary on gamora cosplay or whatever :confused:

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Nov 13, 2019

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

i like the colors

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

enigmahfc posted:

Obviously, but the post myself and others are objecting to:

Jedit posted:

seems to imply that the artist is simply unskilled at anatomy, which is wrong and incorrect. And not to mention false.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Moore is one of the few, perhaps only in the last few years, artists who I am excited to see on a book regardless of the content just because I know they're going to do something unique with it.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Greg Horn made recommending some legitimately good comics to people damned near impossible because of his embarrassing cover art.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Pastry of the Year posted:

Greg Horn made recommending some legitimately good comics to people damned near impossible because of his embarrassing cover art.

Oh man, Slott's She-Hulk was embarrassing to buy for this reason.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Push El Burrito posted:

Oh man, Slott's She-Hulk was embarrassing to buy for this reason.

The Emma Frost series was even worse. You can definitely tell from this cover that it's a story about teenaged Emma in high school likely intended for similarly-aged female readers.

No, this was not a variant.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Scaramouche posted:

Moore is one of the few, perhaps only in the last few years, artists who I am excited to see on a book regardless of the content just because I know they're going to do something unique with it.

I feel this way about Declan Shalvey, too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

Yeah, breaking anatomical rules requires you to know how to draw correctly in the first place and that stuff up thread is obviously down to a stylistic choice. A lot of people seem to think if it doesn't look like John Buscema or George Perez that you can't draw a human body. People used to criticize Miller's stuff on DD and Sienkiewicz (or Kirby) for similar rule breaking but, to me anyway, it's obvious when someone is cheating because they can't draw (Liefeld) and someone breaking and exaggerating rules they already know and are just bored with.

The letter columns where people complain about Kirby's art (or Ditko or any other great, influential artist) are the second best part of old comic letter columns. The best part being people complaining about how terrible a classic story was.

Endless Mike posted:

The Emma Frost series was even worse. You can definitely tell from this cover that it's a story about teenaged Emma in high school likely intended for similarly-aged female readers.

No, this was not a variant.

Yeah, Horn's Emma Frost covers are probably his greatest crime since it likely gutted any chance that already iffy book had of finding an audience.