Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Pekinduck posted:

Yeah, used to work retail, its called "sticker swapping" or something and I think its legally considered fraud. Its why price stickers have cuts across them so you cant easily peel it off in one piece.

Fraud or theft, at least in the U.S., it's prosecuted as theft at the stores I've been to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Pekinduck posted:

Yeah, used to work retail, its called "sticker swapping" or something and I think its legally considered fraud. Its why price stickers have cuts across them so you cant easily peel it off in one piece.

Common enough to have a Macklemore song written about it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I may have brought this up before, but can we talk about scratch off tickets for a second? Because this poo poo is terrifying to me and feels like a god damned epidemic to me right about now.

I know it's not a "scam" in the sense that the odds are known ahead of time, etc. but, holy poo poo. Every god damned time I go into a gas station I see people I KNOW that can't afford it dry humping these things and most of them are not cheap. $10- $20 a pop usually as far as I can tell. I wait in line behind them and watch these folks and watch them routinely dump a tank of gas or greater into these god damned things. There are vending machines in my grocery stores that sell them surrounded by latex shavings all over the floor like so many broken dreams. Now I think I know how people living in Vegas feel with slot machines around every corner.

I don't know whether to be angry, disgusted or sad watching this but I can't shake the idea that it's a symptom of things being really wrong and I'm coming around to the general idea that maybe they should be outlawed as a public health epidemic. Who knows where that money really goes but all they're accomplishing is basically taxing the poor and the helpless.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
if you make gambling illegal then it just drives the market and the addicts underground, and it's one more vice to police

it's really not great for people to be throwing away hundreds of dollars they don't have on scratch off tickets, but we also don't want people throwing away money on alcohol, tobacco, sex, narcotics, etc. better for all these addictions and habits to be out in the open where some of that money can be turned to public good rather than the profits being returned to private, possibly criminal actors. and in the best case, we would be able to provide support to people with unhealthy habits rather than letting be crushed by capitalism into expensive and harmful coping mechanisms

e: florida distributes some (could be more, imo) money to local and college education in the form of grants and scholarships

http://www.flalottery.com/site/education

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Nov 13, 2019

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

I may have brought this up before, but can we talk about scratch off tickets for a second? Because this poo poo is terrifying to me and feels like a god damned epidemic to me right about now.

I know it's not a "scam" in the sense that the odds are known ahead of time, etc. but, holy poo poo. Every god damned time I go into a gas station I see people I KNOW that can't afford it dry humping these things and most of them are not cheap. $10- $20 a pop usually as far as I can tell. I wait in line behind them and watch these folks and watch them routinely dump a tank of gas or greater into these god damned things. There are vending machines in my grocery stores that sell them surrounded by latex shavings all over the floor like so many broken dreams. Now I think I know how people living in Vegas feel with slot machines around every corner.

I don't know whether to be angry, disgusted or sad watching this but I can't shake the idea that it's a symptom of things being really wrong and I'm coming around to the general idea that maybe they should be outlawed as a public health epidemic. Who knows where that money really goes but all they're accomplishing is basically taxing the poor and the helpless.

Where’s the scam here again?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Midjack posted:

:capitalism:

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Midjack posted:

It's a scam in the same way like, private health insurance is, where the information about how you're getting dicked down is freely available but rarely explained simply

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

luxury handset posted:

if you make gambling illegal then it just drives the market and the addicts underground, and it's one more vice to police

This can't be emphasized enough. Humans want to gently caress, gamble, and alter their consciousness via drugs/alcohol/whatever. These are constants that permeate all cultures and time periods: it's just part of being human. This is why banning gambling, prostitution, or drugs/alcohol never works and just serves to create a thriving black market.

You don't solve impoverished people wasting what little money they have gambling by banning gambling. You do it by fixing the flawed social and economic systems that create impoverished people in the first place.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
You can change the incentive structure to make people gamble less. Limit the price of lottery tickets to $10, limit one per transaction. You either have to go to the back of the line after each purchase, or if there is no line you have to wait for the cashier to ring you up multiple times. The hardcore gamblers will do this, but the social awkwardness will dissuade most normal people from buying more than one. Spending $100 on lottery tickets shouldn't be normalized, just like ordering a single meal at McDonalds that's over 1000 calories shouldn't be considered normal or encouraged.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Excellent point. Regulation is not helpless to do anything to about this just because banning it outright wasn't working. Regulations are a good thing despised by bad actors. And as explained several pages ago, the lottery is scammy for other reasons, such as spreading PR that your money is going towards education when it often is instead replacing *other* money that would have gone to education instead.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

luxury handset posted:

e: florida distributes some (could be more, imo) money to local and college education in the form of grants and scholarships

People who don't understand probability paid for my bachelor's degree, and the joke is double on then because it's worthless!

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Scratchies can potentially be a scam if the odds are horrid enough. Often the odds do suck and are available but are in fine print in a place you aren't likely to notice them. Then again you can literally put pictures of lung cancer on packages of tobacco and still get people going "gently caress it, I'm smoking anyway."

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Midjack posted:

The scam is that people believe this propaganda:

luxury handset posted:

States that use lottery proceeds to fund education often take as much, or more, of the lottery money out of the education budget and spend it elsewhere.

"We actually were better off, in operating dollars, before the lottery," said Charlotte County District Spokesperson Mike Riley.

"The lottery money isn't enhancement money," Riley said. "It's replacement money, and not as much money is being replaced."

https://www.nbc-2.com/story/38107458/how-much-money-goes-to-schools-from-the-florida-lottery-jackpot

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

drat that's a good user name :j:

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

MisterOblivious posted:

States that use lottery proceeds to fund education often take as much, or more, of the lottery money out of the education budget and spend it elsewhere.

"We actually were better off, in operating dollars, before the lottery," said Charlotte County District Spokesperson Mike Riley.

"The lottery money isn't enhancement money," Riley said. "It's replacement money, and not as much money is being replaced."

https://www.nbc-2.com/story/38107458/how-much-money-goes-to-schools-from-the-florida-lottery-jackpot

that's a problem with lovely lawmakers, not the lottery :shrug:

lottery paid for my first college degree and is paying for my kid's daycare, so, thanks gamblers

e: that article is pretty shoddy reporting though, this is an excellent point

quote:

"When the state of Florida was paying 64 percent [in 1986], the total education budget was $7.5 billion, Today, we're paying 56 percent, but it's a $20 billion budget. So that's a much more significant amount of money," said Rodrigues. "[Lottery money] was always supposed to supplant education, and that's what it does."

'number go down' is not a useful argument out of context when, other number go up

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Nov 13, 2019

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Insurance is a scam.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Tubgoat posted:

Insurance is a scam.

Tell that to my open heart surgery bills.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Proteus Jones posted:

Tell that to my open heart surgery bills.
Vote Sanders and this can all go away.

I was specifically thinking automotive insurance, though.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Midjack posted:

Just kind of the lovely way it's a regressive tax on poor people.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Tubgoat posted:

Vote Sanders and this can all go away.

I was specifically thinking automotive insurance, though.

If universal healthcare insurance becomes a reality, car insurance should become significantly cheaper. $1600 a year for basic liability here in the US, my father in Europe has never payed more than $200 a year for full coverage.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Are you in Bizzaro Michigan or something? My 250/500/100 liability is about $70/half.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Capitalism is a scam.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Minnesota, but also how you get nothing approaching the cost of your vehicle or the repairs to it should you actually use the insurance, especially when some fuckwad creams you at a double turn lane.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Got my first "You qualify for zero interest on your credit card" today.

I told the guy I didn't have any credit cards. He told me, "My information indicates you have several. You are lying to me. Goodbye."

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Mister Kingdom posted:

Got my first "You qualify for zero interest on your credit card" today.

I told the guy I didn't have any credit cards. He told me, "My information indicates you have several. You are lying to me. Goodbye."

That's hilarious. We've gotten a whole bunch of weirdly angry people scam calling our family lately too. Lots of "gently caress you!" when we tell them we don't have an account with that bank/own that credit card/use that model of computer. Last week a guy told my husband that he was going to come over and, quote, "gently caress you and cum on your face" which still makes me laugh. No idea who we pissed off to make this happen.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.
I’ve been getting at least 4 calls a day, all with my area code and roughly the same number (123-270-xxxx) each time. I reject the call and they usually don’t leave a voicemail. Finally got a message out of one of them, which was about Extended Warranties for my car.

I’ve been getting 4+ calls a day for over two months. Every single day. No matter how many numbers I block, and I block each one that comes through, I keep getting them because they’re spoofing landline numbers from my area. I can’t loving take these calls anymore. I just have my ringer off by default so I wind up missing important calls and texts. Short of setting up my phone to reject all calls that aren’t in my contacts, does anyone have any suggestions on things I can do? I’m already registered on the Do Not Call list, but these scammers don’t abide by the list.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Mouse Dresser posted:

I’ve been getting at least 4 calls a day, all with my area code and roughly the same number (123-270-xxxx) each time. I reject the call and they usually don’t leave a voicemail. Finally got a message out of one of them, which was about Extended Warranties for my car.

I’ve been getting 4+ calls a day for over two months. Every single day. No matter how many numbers I block, and I block each one that comes through, I keep getting them because they’re spoofing landline numbers from my area. I can’t loving take these calls anymore. I just have my ringer off by default so I wind up missing important calls and texts. Short of setting up my phone to reject all calls that aren’t in my contacts, does anyone have any suggestions on things I can do? I’m already registered on the Do Not Call list, but these scammers don’t abide by the list.
President Sanders needs to enforce the law against these shitfucks. Imagine how traceable those numbers would become if the message was a threat against Capital or white supremacism?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Get one of the 85 apps that will block calls originating from your first 6 that aren't in your contacts. Robokiller and hiya can do this; I think at&t call protect does as well. I think every US carrier has an app for that

If you aren't using a smartphone, then I think you're out of luck unfortunately

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Landline. Spam calls to my cell seem to originate from the previous number owner's contacts or employer(s).

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Achmed Jones posted:

Get one of the 85 apps that will block calls originating from your first 6 that aren't in your contacts. Robokiller and hiya can do this; I think at&t call protect does as well. I think every US carrier has an app for that

About two thirds of my spam calls these days are from completely random numbers in one of two area codes, one being mine and the other from the opposite end of my state.

A small but growing portion are from my own drat number. The caller ID says "Voicemail."

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Achmed Jones posted:

If you are using an iPhone, the latest software version has this built in as a native feature. Sends all calls straight to voicemail if they aren't in your contacts or recent call lists.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

What you described is not what I described

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Achmed Jones posted:

I use at&t call protect... the free version is pretty limited, but it’s what i use and last night I received a call that it helpfully labeled “spam”. You can then check the app and see that it’s based on X number of reports.
Crowdsourcing calls/numbers seems like it could be a good idea.
I used to google numbers and there are a couple of websites that provide feedback for phone numbers but having it in an app on your phone seems much better.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

namlosh posted:

I use at&t call protect... the free version is pretty limited, but it’s what i use and last night I received a call that it helpfully labeled “spam”. You can then check the app and see that it’s based on X number of reports.
Crowdsourcing calls/numbers seems like it could be a good idea.
I used to google numbers and there are a couple of websites that provide feedback for phone numbers but having it in an app on your phone seems much better.

The problem is the scammers spoof random numbers. All crowd sourced reporting does is leave some rando wondering why no one returns his calls. Robocalls are going to require a fix at the infrastructure level, blocking fraudulent spoofing in the first place.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mouse Dresser posted:

Those are spoofed number. Blocking them just blocks random numbers.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

wizzardstaff posted:

If you are using an iPhone, the latest software version has this built in as a native feature. Sends all calls straight to voicemail if they aren't in your contacts or recent call lists.

Thank you, I didn’t know about that feature.

I enabled it, so hopefully that’ll help.

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap
I got a text saying that my Netflix payment hasn't gone through, please click here to fix it.

Joke's on them, I don't have a Netflix account.

The text saying my phone company owes me money did make me squint for a moment, though, but I blame being tired for that one.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Inceltown posted:

You need better shoppers rights. If it's mispriced then it is on the business for being stupid. Take your bargain and sell it right back to them while laughing.

When I was 16 I worked at a big department store with an electronics section and a guy bought two Pentium 1 100 MhZ for the price of two 486SXs (or something, it was like 60% off or so) and I'm 99% sure the dude just swapped the paper price thing inside the plastic price holder thing. I was always surprised the manager that was on duty honored it and always suspected that he was friends with the customer or something, because there was no legal (or moral) reason we had to honor it.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
When I worked retail we would only honour price tags, flyers, catalogues, etc which had the correct stock code on them. So misprinted pricetag with incorrect cheaper price but right stock code had to be honoured, but pricetag from a cheaper item with mismatched stock code wasn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

bird with big dick posted:

When I was 16 I worked at a big department store with an electronics section and a guy bought two Pentium 1 100 MhZ for the price of two 486SXs (or something, it was like 60% off or so) and I'm 99% sure the dude just swapped the paper price thing inside the plastic price holder thing. I was always surprised the manager that was on duty honored it and always suspected that he was friends with the customer or something, because there was no legal (or moral) reason we had to honor it.

Who do you think was getting the 2nd CPU?