Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Putting aside his recent mistakes, Ollie Thorn is on the latest episode of the Trashfuture podcast, talking about science and philosophy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

A big flaming stink posted:

wait is spark the one that lost their goddamned mind in the anthem thread?

...you mean the one where people made jokes about me being a terrorist after I said I was half-Arab?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Still going, huh

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
my only jim sterling opinion is that his outfit looks like garbage

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

The main thing I wish was different about Jim Sterling is for him to stop affecting his voice so much when reading quotations. Just because someone sounding bratty, even as a joke, doesn't have great earfeel. Other than that the drums he beats may be repetitive but they're always worth beating and he has correct Sonic Forces opinions.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Say what you want about Jim Sterling but this is lit af

https://web.archive.org/web/2014122...n-game-culture/

quote:

Wundergeek: My biggest question for you is why? What happened that caused you to change your views about sexism in the game industry? What was the turning point? Was there a specific event, or was it a gradual evolution? And what did that feel like for you?

Jim Sterling: You can hold a mirror up to a person as many times as you like, but only the person can look. The nature of online interaction is such that one can pick and choose the things they have to confront, and I simply chose not to confront the idea I was supporting sexism in any way.

I’ve taken to calling my prior attitude, as well as the attitude of other members of the gaming community, the “obviously not” syndrome. In my mind, I “obviously” wasn’t a sexist because I didn’t believe in mistreating women, in hurting women, that sort of more extreme activity the cursory glancer associates with sexism. That’s the insidious thing about misogyny and privilege — you never really think of the subtle things, the more sinister harmful things you may be perpetuating. Making jokes about feminist, being “satirical,” calling someone a “feminazi slut,” it was all fine and dandy, because I “obviously” didn’t mean it, and “obviously” didn’t think I was a bad person. The trouble is, when you start telling yourself it’s “obvious,” you give yourself no further cause to actually reflect on yourself or your behavior.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Leal posted:

Did someone say, Spore?
spore really deserved to be a much better game.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Hell yeah cant wait to get told very obvious things about capitalism in a sub nostalgia critic tier skit lord sterling dies it again have all my 5 (dollar bills)

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Spark That Bled posted:

...you mean the one where people made jokes about me being a terrorist after I said I was half-Arab?

Mate, your main negatives about Jim Sterling seem to be based around a review he made of a game you like from almost a decade ago.

Take a step back and ask yourself why people think that's more than a little extreme.

You don't care for his stuff, that's fine. But there's a line that you're crossing where it comes off as ridiculous.

Have you seriously held a grudge against him all this time for not liking Vanquish? Is THAT why these Stirling-related derails exist?

Because if it is...please. Let's not do it again.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Vulin posted:

: It's clear that Blitzchung got suspended by Blizzard to appease China and make sure that Blizzard keeps access to that market. But this is not just motivated by the "greed" of some high-up executives, it's practically forced legally by the fiduciary duty that those executives have towards their company's shareholders.

This isn't true btw.

Fiduciary duty does not mean "make the most money, right now and in the shortest possible time frame." Its meaning goes a lot deeper and plugs into a lot of other (mostly ignored) thinking around corporate governance.

Anyone telling you that a third party did something for "fiduciary duty" purposes, and that third party isn't a goddamn accountant or money manager, is projecting something questionable.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Kim Justice posted:

Mate, your main negatives about Jim Sterling seem to be based around a review he made of a game you like from almost a decade ago.

Take a step back and ask yourself why people think that's more than a little extreme.

You don't care for his stuff, that's fine. But there's a line that you're crossing where it comes off as ridiculous.

Have you seriously held a grudge against him all this time for not liking Vanquish? Is THAT why these Stirling-related derails exist?

Because if it is...please. Let's not do it again.

You're not exactly arguing in good faith here. Of course it's ridiculous that I hate Sterling just because of his Vanquish review, but I knew that if I just mentioned that, you'd do exactly what you've just done right now.

It's the whole cult of personality that surrounds a man who always complains about game mechanics that he can't immediately get, always sounding like he's one step away from whining about "bugged mechanics" like he's DarkSyde Phil or something. And that's why I don't like Jim Sterling.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Great, now that we've solved the root issue of your gripe, let's never speak of it again

Anyways, Jim Sterling talks about the new sonic the hedgehog movie look and trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN92scUGw5c&hd=1

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Spark That Bled posted:

You're not exactly arguing in good faith here. Of course it's ridiculous that I hate Sterling just because of his Vanquish review, but I knew that if I just mentioned that, you'd do exactly what you've just done right now.

It's the whole cult of personality that surrounds a man who always complains about game mechanics that he can't immediately get, always sounding like he's one step away from whining about "bugged mechanics" like he's DarkSyde Phil or something. And that's why I don't like Jim Sterling.

I really don’t want to keep this poo poo going but let’s pretend that your argument about him not liking something is because he’s bad or whatever holds water. Having bad opinions on games doesn’t invalidate his insight into the games industry.

If someone writes an expose about Spotify’s horrible business practices I’m not gonna slam the dude because he didn’t like Les Savy Fav’s masterpiece Go Forth back in 2001

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Spark That Bled posted:

You're not exactly arguing in good faith here.

Dude, please. Every time his name comes up we have these derails and you're usually at the heart of them. You can't accuse me of arguing in bad faith when you come across as though you'd disagree with Jim Sterling about the colour of the sky.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
So I'm not allowed to not like Jim Sterling, then? I can't say anything about him, even if I can back my arguments up?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

i'm going to kick your rear end

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

internet personality + review thread: out of the frying pan derail, into the fire derail

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Spark That Bled posted:

So I'm not allowed to not like Jim Sterling, then? I can't say anything about him, even if I can back my arguments up?

Oh for gently caress's sake forget it

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

loving sterlions.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Archer666 posted:

Honestly at this point people are just becoming desentesized to him, or at lesst I am. Yes, Jim. We get it. Lootboxes are evil, aaa games are evil, capitalism is evil.

The question is: what are we going to do with this knowledge?

Fabricated posted:

Jim can beat whatever drum he wants because people keep falling for the poo poo he's talking about.

Blizzard tried to announce poo poo people wanted regardless of what state it was in regarding development in the hopes they could skate on their lovely actions and it seems to have worked mostly. So if Jim wants to beat people over the head with it I think he's correct to do so.

I think the problem isn't so much that Jim keeps highlighting the issues with lootboxes and AAA games; the problem moreso is that lately, it's virtually all he talks about. I think this issue came up a few months back, or at I thought it did. It's becoming sort of formulaic.

"Hi, I'm Jim 'loving' Sterling 'Son'! I like Willem Defoe. Y'know, <large game publisher> keep pissing me off, because of how much they push <exploitative industry practice>. All because they need to sustain the triple-A industry. <quote from some rear end in a top hat executive read in mocking voice>. Really, it's just shite. Moblins. Thank god for me." [FILL IN AS NECESSARY]

Mind you, I'm saying this of the Jimquisition, and not his other videos (which mainly just seem to be one-offs with impression or comments on news stories and developments). It just makes the show feel very one-note, and the videos can seem kind of padded at times.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Spark That Bled posted:

Just kiss him already!

EDIT: Have you noticed that at least 5 people in this thread have expressed negative opinions on this man but you're the only one who people are unhappy with?

Vulin
Jun 15, 2012
Time to steer this ship into much more uncontroversial waters with a little recommendation then.

I've really been enjoying the new series this year by Matt from the Ten Minute Bible Hour going to different christian denomination, visiting their churches and talking to the priests there. Even as an atheist I found it pretty interesting to gain some insights into this topic.

The most recent videos are about his visit to a Lutheran church and includes a two-part interview:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99fmOmlcF0c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsEw7ECzGlc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsY4480JyxI

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Ariong posted:

Just kiss him already!

EDIT: Have you noticed that at least 5 people in this thread have expressed negative opinions on this man but you're the only one who people are unhappy with?

Someone else was pushed back on and accused of being a Bethesda mole, so I don't know what you're talking about.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

putting on my boots

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I take one day off to play horror games and this is what happens

TOMMY PROVOLONE
Jul 30, 2014

I am the sun. The moon.

Some people can never let go of his 7/10 BOTW review.

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

I understand if everyone wants to just stfu about Spark and/or his weird hateboner for Jim Sterling but I just can't let this go

Spark That Bled posted:

fwiw, this is what Spark's talking about, just keep reading the next 4 pages and see how far a hole they ended up digging themsleves into and wasted away whatever valid objections they might have had at first:

Spark That Bled posted:

Okay, what the gently caress?

My dude, if you're going to make bad-faith summaries on why people were mocking you in another thread... maybe at least try talking about a thread that can't be easily Googled even by someone without a SA account.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

watho posted:

No it’s actually in the movie, confirmed to have been done before Disney took over the franchise for the 4K re-releases

Oh, okay. I thought that was just someone making some sort of new meme joke over the footage.

Uhhh...why was it added in?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Same reason they added Darth Vader screaming NO! in return of the Jedi to show he was done with Palpatine, or why they changed obi wan's scary noise to fend off the sand people into a scream like he stepped on a lego.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Crocoswine posted:

i'm going to kick your rear end

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Max Wilco posted:

Oh, okay. I thought that was just someone making some sort of new meme joke over the footage.

Uhhh...why was it added in?

It's law that you're not allowed to rerelease anything Star Wars related without making some minor irrelevant changes.

Amending the Greedo/Han stuff gets you double points.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Crocoswine posted:

putting on my boots

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0itQFNwe_kU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

lmao this thread owns

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

james Stirling constantly get's game mechanics wrong and complains about them; the only instance of this I can actually point to occurred nine years ago but you KNOW he's been doubling down ever since!! I, however, do not know this, because I haven't watched that filth's videos ever since he slandered my beloved Vanquish. you might say not watching his videos is where I should have left this, but... (continues ad probatem)

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Thanks everyone, I needed a good laugh.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Dragonatrix posted:

It's law that you're not allowed to rerelease anything Star Wars related without making some minor irrelevant changes.

Amending the Greedo/Han stuff gets you double points.

Personally, I’m all for making a minor edit to the two seconds where Greedo gets shot every 20 years or so for the rest of time. In 1,000 years it will be nigh unrecognizable as an aged Harrison Ford wearing aviator gear throws a boomerang at Greedo’s rapidly inflating head, both ejaculating nonsense the entire time. It’ll be like a giant cinematic game of Telephone.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Junpei Hyde posted:

I take one day off to play horror games and this is what happens

Modding this thread is the true horror

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
Thread is talking about star wars. So how many pages do I need to go back to see the elephant?

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

I came here to see if anyone was talking about Contra's stream because I don't watch streams. Does anyone watch streams? When do you sleep?

Edit vvv

The "copyright? who is she?" Stream happening on YouTube atm. Should have been more specific.

I prefer watching things that have been edited and revised rather than someone's off-the-cuff ramblings.

don longjohns fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Nov 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Which stream? The stream where she talks about Buck Angel or just any recent ol' stream?

I don't have time to watch streams. I listen to podcasts and listen to Noah Caldwell Gervais vids.